Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Monthly Development Update - August 2016 (Steam Powered)

Taking away the froob program is an awful idea. When I first started playing AO I was 12 or 13 and had to be a froob pretty much. AO is a massive game and retro-AO which is what froob AO is essentially, was enough to wrap my head around. Then you see a subway or temple twink run about destroying everything with ease and you notice how much the expansions helped. And it's fair because if you're not paying then you shouldn't get those benefits. But it totally makes you want to upgrade if you're enjoying the game. I don't understand what someone meant by saying it creates a divide? No froob program means no free players at all so that's just pointless.

What they should do is upgrade froob content a little with some weapons so they aren't so vastly outclassed by paid members, more to make the game easier for froob newbs.
    And instead of making any current expansion free they should just lower the intense price a subscription currently is. That way many more people would be willing to pay (in-game i meet free players that used to be paid but just don't think it's worth the money anymore).

Also I have an official anarchy online guide book published in 2001 and yes, you should be jealous

Quote Originally Posted by MachSchau View Post
    AO needs to make money otherwise it will be shut down
    Really, you still buy into that bs? That would probably be true in a normal country with a normal economy. FC would've already gone bankrupt as a whole, not just AO, if it wasn't the toy of a mogul from Europe's Saudi Arabia, mogul who bails them out whenever they need. Do you think that if AO returned absolutely no income, the company and the mogul wouldn't be able to sustain the 2-4 bums that constitute the AO team salaries and the maintenance costs? Pfft! Even for a normal modern company would be dumb to close AO if it was marginally unprofitable, considering it expands the brand, brings players to their other games etc. So yeah, AO's devs could've taken measures such as making SL & AI froob friendly years ago, if they weren't, as I've said already, visionless and gutless. They freaking get sacked after a few years anyway, why not risk it, lol.
    Last edited by Smasherr; Sep 15th, 2016 at 18:30:49.

nobady can bring us lots of players, look at all the new mmo's that is released evry mounth, they stuggle aswell.
    players only goes for the games they know will remain populated or ''wait for the next big mmo''
    why risk allot of time and effort into a dead game to know when your done there will be none to play with?
    anrachy online 2 some would say, what the heck is anarchy online in the first place? it is a outdated game that isnt mentioned anywere.

enjoy the game for as long as you bother and stop complain about population, funcom cant force people to play to satisfy a smal comunity.
    move on, nothing lasts forever.

Ao lost its potensial many years ago thanks to funcom insisting that the dev's used all the time and effort into makeing this engine insted of giving the game new content and balances to maintain the comunity.
    Last edited by Le-Quack; Sep 17th, 2016 at 00:00:46.

New games means most of the time, crappy games. Skyforge is one example. Games doesn't really get outdated, unless it stops working on a platform. Look at esport games. What about the new games that are totally crap? I hope crappy games soon becomes outdated. The problem is the industry listening to teenager that thinks every thing new and shinny is best.. don't play a game for the packed they are wrapped in with. There is not much revolutionary things with new games. Still most new games use the same techniques that where used in early ms dos games, like raycast and collisions. Thought graphics rendering capability has changed along with real physics engine. But other than that, not much has changed.

Let me get some myths and facts down real fast:

1. New games has better graphics. Facts: Tough sometimes this is true, 90% of the graphics use shader technique that is based on directx 9 model. Artwork also has a great impact, and can make old shader technique look like brand new. And the opposite, games with newer shader model with poor artwork will look outdated, yet with brand new rendering techniques.

2. Newer games are revolutionary and modern. Facts: What is modern in terns of rendering tehnique might be true, but how well this is used and how great it feels, is very subjective. With new rendering techniques there isn't much
    revolutionary at the moment.

3. Newer games are more advanced. Facts: Inside the game core this is 99% false. Most new games have less lines of codes, than older games. Game company's wants to make something "fresh" to earn some quick money, and then move on to the "next" project. Most modern games are based on blueprint templates, hence why most fps looks the same.

4. Newer games have more innovation: Facts: The only innovation we have is the interface with VR gear, witch is not really a new thing. It is also to clumsy to be a practical application. Thought it's getting better.

So while most game developers are trying to push out most graphics, because they think this is what people want. Older games becomes more valued because for its content and structure design. Like Anarchy Online.
    Last edited by ByLogic; Sep 17th, 2016 at 12:43:03.

Hey guys, i was on and off this game on multiple accounts, most of them froob ones from 2010 till now. I just paid a year, because i really love the setting.
    Teh thing is, if AO is going to be on STEAM, please, think about changing the f2p system you are currently having.

- Your sub prices are extraordinary high for 2016. no-go here

- I would sell the expansions as buy 2 play, and let the people buy points for stuff like - transport & grid coupons, gender & race & physique change (like make some better character models perhaps?), IP resets, custom outfits, you know the drill.

- Also, a new player (such as me, still) has NO chance to play or compete with you old rabbits. So, why not create a new, second server? (i would gladly start anew, if my sub would remain active there - WHICH I JUST PAID)

Sry for my bad english, maybe i was not born with it.

Apart from that - AO is the most awesome game i ever played, and i am very much looking forward to the battlerite (the new bloodline champions).

Dev unfair question:
    Sadly, i do have a lifer account on TSW, which i have abandoned and will never play again. Would it be possible to get the points to AO account?

Quote Originally Posted by dduath View Post
    - Also, a new player (such as me, still) has NO chance to play or compete with you old rabbits. So, why not create a new, second server? (i would gladly start anew, if my sub would remain active there - WHICH I JUST PAID)
    It's a nice idea in theory. Most likely all the vets will start a new batch of toons and dominate this one too. Who knows though? Maybe it'll be fun. At least old piles of sploitcreds would be gone.

Fresh server would be amazing, new players get to experience the game from top to bottom right along veterans.
    Darkempire 220/30/70 Agent
    {edited by Anarrina: see me if you have questions}
    When specifically asked for positive words, responding with a personal attack is incredibly rude and inappropriate. Please do not repeat such behavior.
    Quote Originally Posted by nums214 View Post
    If my wife never got preggo omni wouldn't have lost their fields. 2009 is pretty much when I quit.

Quote Originally Posted by Alternity View Post
    Fresh server would be amazing, new players get to experience the game from top to bottom right along veterans.
    wonder how long it'd take a vet to powerlevel a couple nt's to key levels from scratch for kiting various hecks

Quote Originally Posted by Lazy View Post
    wonder how long it'd take a vet to powerlevel a couple nt's to key levels from scratch for kiting various hecks
    No idea, but I would level one from the get go. 100k per level seems fair, at least in the beginning.
    Darkempire 220/30/70 Agent
    {edited by Anarrina: see me if you have questions}
    When specifically asked for positive words, responding with a personal attack is incredibly rude and inappropriate. Please do not repeat such behavior.
    Quote Originally Posted by nums214 View Post
    If my wife never got preggo omni wouldn't have lost their fields. 2009 is pretty much when I quit.

Quote Originally Posted by Alternity View Post
    No idea, but I would level one from the get go. 100k per level seems fair, at least in the beginning.
    can level faster from quests now almost if you are familiar with them from the reck etc. ely kite isnt that doable alone without a ost.

i support a fresh server wich is clean from sploited creds etc, that would for sure give me many good moments in ao.
    thou it would had some hotfixes like preventing kiteing in known places to force players to use playfields.
    i easy level alone if i had to on a fresh server, it would satisfy me enough to know that there is no easy shortcuts in th begining, and if the dev tried their very best as i said to kill kite options.. a new server could be worth.

Quote Originally Posted by Le-Quack View Post
    can level faster from quests now almost if you are familiar with them from the reck etc. ely kite isnt that doable alone without a ost.

i support a fresh server wich is clean from sploited creds etc, that would for sure give me many good moments in ao.
    thou it would had some hotfixes like preventing kiteing in known places to force players to use playfields.
    i easy level alone if i had to on a fresh server, it would satisfy me enough to know that there is no easy shortcuts in th begining, and if the dev tried their very best as i said to kill kite options.. a new server could be worth.
    I rolled a new shade this year and I'm levelling without kiting. I'm level 146, been working on him for 6 months.

funcom has nothing else to do with 1 guy controling this on his sparetime when hes not working on other main projects for funcom.
    so a new server shouldnt hurt considering 1 guy wont be able to do anything about ao anymore except maybe getting it on steam and then thats it, the only effort more or less would seem to keep server up and milk the few creds they can for as long as they can.
    also could ben fun to have some old mechs in a old server for exaple, like no more duel system but recovering the flagged pvp system with titles, no more mb if that whats people wish, any evidence of multiboxing is ban from the server.
    becose new server = new eula if funcom wish.
    such news could bring back many
    there is also many options to make a new server limited with expansions, say its shadowlands or alien expansion locked, so there would be no broken xan stuff and it would be a chance for a actual balanced server for pvp and more effort consdering to do pande/ kill lotv, twinking symbs etc.
    Last edited by Le-Quack; Sep 21st, 2016 at 13:35:05.

Quote Originally Posted by McKnuckleSamwich View Post
    I rolled a new shade this year and I'm levelling without kiting. I'm level 146, been working on him for 6 months.
    I've leveled a crat to 220 using only dailies.
    It took a really long time, but with BS dailies, it went faster (back when you could stack 3 BS dailies and only need to do 1 BS per day for 3 rewards).

This was before the ICC dailies and I never grabbed Doja's.
    Characters:
    Legendfluff (with many accounts of froobs)

Froob Level 5 Collar: http://i.imgur.com/I19c92X.jpg
    Froob atrox Lv5 Collar: http://i.imgur.com/2zVqTX9.jpg

With the onset of awakened beast armor, we can now equip Alpha chest on Atrox Soldiers & Alpha Brain on Atrox Doctors.

I would honestly play a fresh server of AO, if they refocused the F2P model for steam launch and possibly adjusted sub prices to a better level.
    Leave "Marinegent" AScar - 220/23/65 Atrox Agent
    Wakeup "Marinesold" Screaming - 220/30/70 Nanomage Soldier
    "Moonmarin" - 220/30/80 Solitus Martial Artist
    "Marinekeep" - 215/18/4x Atrox Keeper
    Quote Originally Posted by CuisinartBlade View Post
    to be fair, 2.8k ar is enough to perk anyone except fixers, mas, advs, shades, nt's that blinded you, shield mps, bow mps that landed dazzle, def docs, crats, or marinesold

so all in all it's a fairly viable setup

So what will it be for next http://www.anarchy-online.com/membership-rewards ?

180 days is full in 18 days I think? So anything nice?
    Ekarona 220/30 Female Solitus Engineer, long term member of Northern Star and proper "poor" gimp.
    Ekaslave 220/low Female Solitus Trader, FLAT(TM) pricing TS, almost all can do!
    Ekaros almost there/almost there too Male Solitus Martial-Artist.
    Ekadv gimp/gimp Female Opifex Adventurer

I would so come back if AO would be F2P or buy2play. As someone said earlier, for many people, like me it just isnt worth the money. I had a hell of a blast for many years and spent a fair amount without regrets. But for occasionally come back, hang around, its not worth the relatively high sub fee

I also agree with what has been said here before: users on steam will be freaked out on the price
    Of course they do not know what they are going to miss, but all they will see is outdated gfx, noob-unfriendly, non-casual gameplay and a high price tag. I would be scared away too.

Personally I had a GREAT time being a froob back then. PVE content was actually challenging (Inner Sanctum, Hollow Island etc.) I never really felt as "second rate citizen" as I had good playing experience for paying naught. That was actually rare back then. The problem is that there are (at least there were last time I checked) not enough froobs to make the froob experience fun. Back then it was bustling. Always easy to find teams for levelling, in fact it wasn't easy, as there were so many teams you had to wait for your spot at Borgs etc. But then solo missions always proved an alternative if you couldnt find a team. So catch 22, low player numbers cause low player numbers..

I would like the TSW model applied to AO, pay once, play as much as you want. Actually TSW was the only decent online game for me after AO. The rest dont even compare. I tried SW:TOR, it was helluva boring, and just as grindy as AO if not moreso
    * Cryborg Nano-Technician - Have a shoulder to cry on!
    Aramlash Fixer - Can't catch me!
    Aramsunat Engineer - 4 Blockers of the Apocalypse

Devil Inside

I've been playing AO on and off since December of '94. I've pretty much seen and done everything that I care to do in the game so when I play now, it's mainly for the sake of nostalgia. The problem is, I'm growing increasingly reluctant to pay to reactivate multiple accounts just to play for a weekend (which is usually how long it takes for the nostalgia to wear off). I really wish they would make it fully f2p with an item shop or whatever to make money instead of subs. Maybe they'll consider this after the Steam launch fails to bring in more money. I doubt it, but it would be nice

Quote Originally Posted by Rahela View Post
    I've been playing AO on and off since December of '94.
    HOW!? They started development in 1995.... (If you mean 2004 it makes more sense)
    Last edited by Jihnna; Sep 27th, 2016 at 22:00:50.
    Jihnna 220/30/80 Shade
    Underworld

Have fun camping lots of boring items to even get started on twinking.
    Valhall Guardians

Thapetowner 220 Meta-Physicist
    Hyimoliver 220 Soldier
    Ihatemyself 200 Shade
    Hardcore 200 Adventurer
    Ilovetokill 170 Agent
    Ilovetodrain 150 Trader
    Oxiahe 150 Doctor
    Critterz 150 Martial-Artist
    Awaaa 74 Soldier

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast