Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Monthly Development Update - August 2016 (Steam Powered)

Anyways back on topic... I have great hopes for steam launch. From the developer community i come from, Steam is a hot topic among game developers. It has its negative sides, but i think overall it will be more positive ones.

Lequack, that is by definition an off topic post. Should that not of been I its own thread or are you including yourself in your rant?

To get on topic - hmm, I cant believe steam is going ahead. There is still way to many bugs, way to many unfinished projects and way too many trolls on the steam community. They will rip the game apart before giving it the 2 year chance this game needs to give you a foothold of a chance of enjoying it in all its glory from all the knowledge needing to be gained and items needeing acquiring and credits needing to be farmed.

The steam community is even more fickle than ours with so many other options only a mouseclick away. Combine all the bugs, the unfinished balance and the un welcoming members of our community that snobbishly despise people being in the wrong gear or being under equipped etc, its a minefield waiting to be triggered.

The Halloween is something tho. New content I always welcomed. Is there any chance of knowing why you massacred the tier two mp pet? Random seemingly unneeded changes are always easier to swallow if there is rational reasoning behind them. After massacring the mp, are there no following changes that butcher other professions??? Like... At least to make it fair... Apparently there is supposed to be a rebalance going on but professions that are untouchable go untouched while the same professions get changed repeatedly. Are you working to any plan at all or just stabbing on the dark???

Your right nonameadv. The steam community is hars. And there is a steam policy on bugs and "return game" policy.. Now i don't think there are many bugs on the game it self, i think there are more engine/visual things that should be fixed. Like billboards receiving shadows etc. There is really no code for excluding materials / shader surface for certain objects.
    Last edited by ByLogic; Sep 9th, 2016 at 13:03:17.

Oh man Anarchy Online coming to steam would be a great move for the game! With Steam comes numbers so it's a given there would be new people trying out the game. My concern would be that the newer starting experience may be too much for new players. Once you've done it once or twice and gotten your head around it, it's easy enough but it's definitely not the most straight forward introduction to a game. I'd say there's definitely a few flaws. Maybe consider tweaking it down a bit or even bring the old newb isle back! Yes we know it doesn't look great for a sci-fi game but it's short and sweet and there'd be pictures on steam to show the game was more than a grass island :P.

Performance issues definitely need fixed before a steam release! First impressions mean a lot and we can't have a bunch of new players come and complain that their client is crashing all the time or doesn't run well on their top tier gaming pc. AO has never ran well on Nvidia cards. I have never been able to experience AO without mouse acceleration lag . I can put up with it because I love the game but new-comers will run for the hills. If pulled off right though this could be a great revival story

Just getting on Steam is not the boost it once was. There are over 10k titles available today, Anarchy is not going to get much attention. That being said, if they package it with some positive changes, scratch the froob program, (and possibly a fresh and rebalanced server?), there are many people who have stopped by AO at some point in last 15 years who might be interested in checking it out again.
    Salomar [220/30]
    Rainbowz [200/23]
    Twopairs [150/20]
    SPARTA

Quote Originally Posted by SaloSalo View Post
    [...]scratch the froob program[...]
    What do you mean?

Quote Originally Posted by Smasherr View Post
    What do you mean?
    They mean they're clearly trolling.

Ophiuchus : 220/30/80 HAHA etc
    Nahuatl
    :: 220/30/80 Melee 4lyfe
    Khurkh :: 220/30/80 healtankpew
    Transcendence
    Msanthropic
    : 210/26/60 nanostab
    Spidershiva :: 165/23/42 kite? eh?
    Silentmotion
    : 150/20/42 tankthink
    The Union

Quote Originally Posted by Smasherr View Post
    What do you mean?
    When it was first introduced, more than ten years ago, it was success. AO was not yet horribly outdated, MMORPGs were on the rise, and there were very few free online games around. Just being free meant people would flock to it, and they did.

Today there are thousands of "free" games you can play, and free usually means that the game is either terrible or actually not free at all. If I see a "free" game in my steam store queue I click "not interested" immediately. I have seen enough of this crap, where the game is free, but the I run into paywalls, grind away at 10% the normal speed or get killed by players using paid weapons. I know many people who feel the same way. Free to play is almost a derogatory term, and there are very few free games that have a good free to play model and are successful.

And make no mistake, Anarchy's free to play model is terrible. It makes the fundamental mistake of completely splitting the player base, free and paying players don't play together at all, and the free players are objectively worse in every way. It also makes the power creep worse as Rubi-Ka is left in the dust to focus on the paid parts of the game. There is also no incentive for free players to pay a little bit of money. In successful free to play games free player still pay a few dollars for a cosmetic or a compendium once in a while, in AO you must commit to a paid account and a subscription or nothing.
    Salomar [220/30]
    Rainbowz [200/23]
    Twopairs [150/20]
    SPARTA

get rid of the freeloaders, make anarchy online great again. we will build a pay-wall and make the froobs pay for it!

Free account is and excellent tool for:
    - bank characters to hold thousands of items
    - buff characters to be able to twink and buff your paid characters

They are also helpfull in transfering items and credits between characters from paid account and you can even have a powerleveling help on RK with few NTs of selected levels as well as froob ToTW twink to help your leveling paid characters.

However I agree that playing only froob account is a bad experience...
    Awikun 220/70/30 Ranged adv - my Main that I hardly ever log
    Awisha 220/70/30 Shade - Can solo 95% of all bosses
    Cratawi 200/70/30 Crat - S7/DR Solo farmer
    Awiken 220/70/30 Eng - Pvm Eng
    Nukiwa 200/70/30 NT - almost forgotten (awaiting retwink)
    Awidoc 200/70/30 Doc - 200 fun pvp twink
    Awix 200/70/30 Fix - 200 fun pvp twink
    Awienf 220/70/30 Enf - tanked every single boss (and still lives)
    Soldawi 220/70/30 Sol - Pvm Sold
    Awima 150/xx/xx Ma - best S10 MA farmer
    Doctorawi 220/70/30 - Pvm Doc
    Awienfo 200/70/30 - Atrox with Pande red belt and 2xQL300 hammers
    Macierewicz 220/70/30 - Pvm Crat
    Zlakobieta 220/70/30 - max complit +top tradeskiller

Quote Originally Posted by SaloSalo View Post
    ...there are very few free games that have a good free to play model and are successful.
    What are you talking about? Free to play is the only way most mmorpgs managed to survive: SWTOR, Rift, WildStar etc. It's not about what you prefer or what model you think is best, it's about the reality of our times, where WoW is a relic and all mmos, especially in their updated form, the survival games, are free to play or subscription free.

Since we're on this subject... no new players will pay tens of euros to try AO, which will probably get bombed by ******* haters in ratings anyway. You can put it on Steam, on first page of Steam, or directly on each potential player's desktop and nothing will happen. MMOs players are checking periodically the mmos list, they already know about AO and, as wee see, they're not interested. So if things stay the same, nothing will change substantially. One current player may not even become aware that the game has launched on Steam, because the launch will have the same effect as the hoax of the decade, the new engine, which is available and, as some of us suspected long looooooooong in advance, is completely irrelevant.

I think we need more radical measures, which I'm sure won't be taken, considering the visionless, gutless game management we had for almost a decade (and the reality that this bunch is unable to fix a simple bug like the Mantis armor parts not dropping since at least 7 f*cking months ago when I reported the bug). If it were by me, I'd make at least SL completely free, probably AI as well. People pay to have an edge more insignificant than you can imagine. Atm I'm paying 2 subscriptions just for the buffs and item farming for a lowbie that I'm twinking. What will happen when I finish, after a couple of weeks of finding no one to duel with, raid towers with and rotting in battlestation queue, is that I'll get bored and quit again. This game needs hoards of players for the paying players to socialize with, compare against, pwn and stuff, and no new players will come on the current froob offer.
    Last edited by Smasherr; Sep 14th, 2016 at 21:12:03.

Steamchart links of all the Steam available MMO's I play or played. Note: Steamchart totals are Steam players only. No one who plays through a non-steam launcher is counted. It's a good ESTIMATE of how well games are doing.

Defiance
    http://steamcharts.com/app/224600

The Secret World
    http://steamcharts.com/app/215280

Age of Conan
    http://steamcharts.com/app/217750

TERA
    http://steamcharts.com/app/323370

Fallen Earth
    http://steamcharts.com/app/113420

RIFT
    http://steamcharts.com/app/39120

EVE
    http://steamcharts.com/app/8500

ELDER SCROLLS
    http://steamcharts.com/app/306130

WILDSTAR
    http://steamcharts.com/app/376570

NEVERWINTER
    http://steamcharts.com/app/109600

Quote Originally Posted by Lazy View Post
    get rid of the freeloaders, make anarchy online great again. we will build a pay-wall and make the froobs pay for it!
    We should also stop all the people who believe in multiboxing til we figure out what the heck is going on...

Would be possible to set normal drop on WUs on collector gold chest like virals? I thing that this would be fair . now is almost impossible to get it. I killed him maybe 20 times open more then 100 boxes and nothing. I understand that wu for 200 is grail but but its only top of mountain. For almost all profvexpect agents or ma is almost imposible to equip this weapons. Need 300 towers top equip and lot of other things.

Maybe if would be normal chance to get it peoble will start more playing tring to do dead raids like towers etc.

Ofc maybe this will increase number of multiboxers but maybe will be enough people for raidings and this should stop multiboxers couse it wont be nessesery.

220 players today dont need towers but lvl 200 yes but why if chance to get wu is almost 0%.

Sorry for mi english its not 100% and sorry if its off topic. But for me its a chance to resurect litle byt this game.

Mybe someone will react like if chance ofvget wu will be batter lazy peoples start buying boxes and getting wus. I dont care about lazy peoples with dadys credit card this people dont equip this weapons eighter becouse like i sad its not easy

Quote Originally Posted by rybycka View Post
    Would be possible to set normal drop on WUs on collector gold chest like virals? I thing that this would be fair . now is almost impossible to get it. I killed him maybe 20 times open more then 100 boxes and nothing. I understand that wu for 200 is grail but but its only top of mountain. For almost all profvexpect agents or ma is almost imposible to equip this weapons. Need 300 towers top equip and lot of other things.

Maybe if would be normal chance to get it peoble will start more playing tring to do dead raids like towers etc.

Ofc maybe this will increase number of multiboxers but maybe will be enough people for raidings and this should stop multiboxers couse it wont be nessesery.

220 players today dont need towers but lvl 200 yes but why if chance to get wu is almost 0%.

Sorry for mi english its not 100% and sorry if its off topic. But for me its a chance to resurect litle byt this game.

Mybe someone will react like if chance ofvget wu will be batter lazy peoples start buying boxes and getting wus. I dont care about lazy peoples with dadys credit card this people dont equip this weapons eighter becouse like i sad its not easy
    The drop-rate was already increased in October last year, by reducing the amount of junk in gold boxes. And I highly doubt an increase in the collector WU droprate will result in more people doing raids and towers, title level 6 isn't exactly a tower friendly level. For such a highly desirable and valuable item I personally think it should take a large amount of effort to acquire rather than being just being handed to everyone on plate. Just for comparison, it took me around 300 kills to get mine so you've still got a while to go
    Last edited by blackhawks93; Sep 14th, 2016 at 23:56:57.
    -Equilibrium-
    Perkable - 220/30 Crat
    Enforcblack - 220/30 Enf
    Blacklist - 200/30 Adv
    Blackhawkzz - 200/30 Crat
    Nano93 - 168/23 NT
    Blackhawkss - 164/22 Sold
    Black - 150/20 Enf
    Blackhawks - 126/15 Agent
    Cannibalz - 92/9 Enf
    Blackhawks00 -57/6 MP
    Blackhawkd - 29/3 Tard

I know that mine 20 tries is nothing. I dont want it free like some peoples wroting here to place it in silver box or make it yes drop. But for example your 300 tries for me its too much. Like i sad before wu is just a top of mountain.

Andvlot wasnt exactly increased. Was tipe that it "should" drop more but ehat is should? I dont know how fc have set drop nut i believe that there is some percentage chance and if u have set i dont know 0.01% and u will erase some other junk it doesnt mean that othger thing wil drop more if u have there some items with much higher droprate.

Maybe 200 isnt friendly for towers but u wont doing 300 or 250 towers with lvl 200. U will do it with 220 and place tover with someone else.

For lot of people is 200 bs more interesting like 220.

But it was only mi idea that it would be fair and interested for people who want play something and dont still farming just creds and buy all stuff. If others thing that no, ok i will keed doing it and maybe one shiny day i will get mine

If you want WU just do 12man xan. Drops often easy to get/easy to equip. some times even 2x drop. 200 lvl is not end game.

Quote Originally Posted by ByLogic View Post
    If you want WU just do 12man xan. Drops often easy to get/easy to equip. some times even 2x drop. 200 lvl is not end game.
    I have 5 220 chars with end game setups i want one 200
    Last edited by rybycka; Sep 15th, 2016 at 09:53:12.

I just want to see the community's reaction when all of their bank and mule accounts are suddenly disabled, when all the orgbots and raidbots and communication bots go dark and when people who have actual play characters on froob accounts (buffing alts, low level twinks, old veteran characters from way back when, curious newbies deciding if they like the game environment enough to make a financial investment into it etc) can no longer access and use them. /popcorn.

No, getting rid of the froob program really does rank right up there with building a wall in terms of sense. If anything the SL-only option should be converted to a single-fee buy to play add-on like TSW's business model. THEN you would see more froob/paid player crossover and integration and THEN you would see potential buyers being able to get a real feel for the paid experience which would give a better conversion to paying player hit rate than elitist arses getting all snooty and insulting at those who want to try before they buy.

Ophiuchus : 220/30/80 HAHA etc
    Nahuatl
    :: 220/30/80 Melee 4lyfe
    Khurkh :: 220/30/80 healtankpew
    Transcendence
    Msanthropic
    : 210/26/60 nanostab
    Spidershiva :: 165/23/42 kite? eh?
    Silentmotion
    : 150/20/42 tankthink
    The Union

Haven't really been following this thread that much, but I believe I made a thread a few years ago in the game suggestion forum that AO will need/should change there f2p model because it is very archaic and just doesn't help with retaining players due to a lack of interaction with other players, better f2p models, lack of content etc. It is really sad because everything that we have now, if it came out 8 years ago, would help AO have/retain a larger population. But redoing the F2P model will be a huge undertaking in itself, its not simply make everyone f2p. AO needs to make money otherwise it will be shut down so FC needs to approach that in a smart manner. Yeah, I know FC being smart is rare but hey thats the way she goes.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast