Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Monthly Development Update - August 2016 (Steam Powered)

Sorry not me, in 2001 AO was a new thing, exploring and learning was a great joy.. Learning and experince still great joy in 2016.

Quote Originally Posted by ByLogic View Post
    AO was less friendly when i started back in 2001.
    The industry standard was also completely different. Let's not compare to 15 year old standards and say everything is good just because it has gotten better than that.

The newbie experience could still use som tweaking.
    Avari 220/30/80 - Araghos 220/30/80 - Shishido 220/30/7x - Araninn 220/30/80

Quote Originally Posted by Tergx
    If one of the few traders are PvPing around you and land GTH on you, take a trip to decon and it will be gone. What's the big deal hehe.

I always walk away from games that is focused on lazy gameplay. What is industry standard is based of allot of factors like statistics. If you look at Blizzard and Legion, they actually turn around from 100% lazy mode, to more work/reward style again, which was a very smart move. Maybe they discovered that Lazy gameplay isn't gaining any bonus marked. I bet they figured out that lazy people are even to lazy to play lazy games.

Things need to be exciting/trilling, then you become interactive, you feel rewarded. Any game that does this, is a good game.

To be honest Anarchy Online is not a game you should play if your a lazy gamer. There are better stereotyped brainless games out there. If you look at console games, they are basically just a movie where it just seams like your interacting. you press Play and the movie starts etc. I don't understand how
    any one would set down and play a game that didn't involve using your brain..

They should really remove the froob program, so new players can go to shadolands and play this game how it is suppose to. Make the whole game free to play. And focus on microtransaction.
    Last edited by ByLogic; Sep 4th, 2016 at 10:38:26.

Will we still be able to play without having to install Steam?

What has FC done to the Rhywen???
    A new light shines upon Rubi-Ka,A new channel is opened in the grid feed,
    A new Team dedicated to the distribution of knowledge is formed.
    >>> AO-Universe <<<
    For the People, By the People.

I am pretty sure we don't Snakebite

bump for the best game guide on AO http://www.ao-universe.com/ (any new player should have this bookmarked)

FIX THE MANTIS ARMOR NOT DROPPING ANYMORE!

You make me act retarded, but I'm trying alternative, better suited, ways to make you ppl notice this bug which I've reported half a year ago and has been around who knows for how long.
    Last edited by Smasherr; Sep 4th, 2016 at 12:45:25.

I always laugh when I hear people complaining about lazy mode gaming on a game where the established norm for leveling is to be dragged to the endgame as quickly as possible by 220 orgmates/friends.

Cool that the steam thingy is happening, though if you could get the new engine out of beta at the same time you might not scare every potential steam player away?!
    Darkempire 220/30/70 Agent
    {edited by Anarrina: see me if you have questions}
    When specifically asked for positive words, responding with a personal attack is incredibly rude and inappropriate. Please do not repeat such behavior.
    Quote Originally Posted by nums214 View Post
    If my wife never got preggo omni wouldn't have lost their fields. 2009 is pretty much when I quit.

I agree on that, but nothing has changed with the engine since beta, i don't think there be any, any time soon.

So, no one else is a bit disappointed that for the past 2 months nothing has happened game-wise with balance, QoL, PVP, etc?

If AO is placing all of their eggs in the Steam basket, I would suggest it is a mistake given the current state of the (new) engine and the expectations of gamers in 2016. The cost per month for a game of this age (that hasn't really improved gameplay or graphics-wise in many years) is not going to just "get better" with a launch on Steam.

This update was at best "lacking" and at worst insulting.
    Utopia
    The continued search for an ideal community possessing a perfect socio-politico-legal system.

“ The first thing a child should learn is how to endure. It is what he will have most need to know. ” — Jean-Jacques Rousseau

any one would set down and play a game that didn't involve using your brain..
    You mean like 80% of AO?

Quote Originally Posted by Esssch View Post
    You mean like 80% of AO?
    Putting a full set of alphas on a trox, is for sure not the same as playing Grand theft auto..Yes you need a brain for that.
    I have a point, while you have trolling..
    Last edited by ByLogic; Sep 5th, 2016 at 07:00:01.

Putting a full set of alphas on a trox, is for sure not the same as playing Grand theft auto..Yes you need a brain for that.
    I have a point, while you have trolling..
    I think it could be argued that repetetive, mindless grinding constitutes of more than 80% of the time spent in AO (idling discounted). Would you disagree?

While I don't think that AO could be considered an easy game compared to stuff like GTA, most of it isn't hard at all unless you consider being very patient hard. I think that's what Esssch might have meant.

GTA is a braindead game, there is nothing there to argu or compare to AO. Why grind? There are many quest and daily quest that gives you % gain. Try play games like Aion or BnS, that is pure grind.. in Ao grinding is a choice..
    + grinding doesn't have to be brainless. If done correctly it can be very rewarding. Its a game, you do stuff, there is a timeline.
    Last edited by ByLogic; Sep 5th, 2016 at 10:03:04.

Steam may be rough going, the gamers there are pretty jaded, and tend to have a laughing fit when they try out old games with dated graphics like AO

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-1Ultk5xCM

The user reviews will be savage

Even so I think it will bring in more players, as Steam also has plenty of bargain hunters, and like retro/old school games.
    Babacratus
    - Clan Nano/Bureaucrat - Stumblin and Bumblin, he just might go all the way!

GTA is a braindead game, there is nothing there to argu or compare to AO. Why grind? There are many quest and daily quest that gives you % gain. Try play games like Aion or BnS, that is pure grind.. in Ao grinding is a choice..
    + grinding doesn't have to be brainless. If done correctly it can be very rewarding. Its a game, you do stuff, there is a timeline.
    Why is this suddenly about Grand Theft Auto? Most of GTA requires more brains than most of AO. The story missions are quite a bit more varied than "kill things in Subway for 3 hours straight" or "kill things in ToTW for 5 hours straight" or "kill hecklers for 75% of your levels".

Putting alphas on is tough, but that's about 0.0001% of AO. Twinking in general is maybe 2% of AO? But it's still mostly simple, it doesn't take actual real life skill, it requires a bit of math and (more) farming to get the necessary items, then there are usually guides for just about every breed/prof combo at which point it's just following a checklist. Since you want to compare it to GTA, there aren't any fine muscle skills needed, no reflexes needed. The only thing needed is the calculator Micosoft includes with every copy of Windows, a lot of time, patience, and a few friends playing the necessary professions. How is AO hard again?

Why is this suddenly about Grand Theft Auto? Most of GTA requires more brains than most of AO.
    Ehh what? Dragging some ones grandmother by a rope on the street requires brain? There is nothing in that game the will use your braincell. If
    your planning on arguing about GTA your going on a sinkhole..

"kill things in Subway for 3 hours straight" or "kill things in ToTW for 5 hours straight" or "kill hecklers for 75% of your levels".
    It's getting clear to me that you don't know how to level a character in AO. My last char i level from 0 to 220 I never entered Subway or grinded heckers 75% of the levels. 70% of the time i was spending on twinking every 20 level so that level could go faster, doing % quest and missions. Ely heckers are fast level, i think i whent from 0 to 100 in 1 day, didn't feel like grinding at all, just join the group. You do know that all quest in SL give you % xp right? farming hecklers is so 2007..

Putting alphas on is tough, but that's about 0.0001% of AO. Twinking in general is maybe 2% of AO? But it's still mostly simple, it doesn't take actual real life skill, it requires a bit of math and (more) farming to get the necessary items, then there are usually guides for just about every breed/prof combo at which point it's just following a checklist. Since you want to compare it to GTA, there aren't any fine muscle skills needed, no reflexes needed. The only thing needed is the calculator Micosoft includes with every copy of Windows, a lot of time, patience, and a few friends playing the necessary professions. How is AO hard again?
    There are some really big errors in your statement, first you claim that AO is not hard and then you say putting alphas on is tough. I am confused by your statement. Try solo the keeper in albratum and then come back to me and say it's easy. Or doing APF42 is as easy as crashing a car in GTA with a tree. No windows calculator is going to save you from this faulty statement, your really on deep water here. Twinking requires raid to gain buff items, raiding takes a huge percentage of your time. Tradeskills, getting buffs, buy/sell items that you need, perks reset, pvp, etc.etc etc.. Only daily endgame basis that takes 100% of my time. No grinding at all. My leveling from 0-220 was just 0.01% of time i spent in AO over the years.
    Last edited by ByLogic; Sep 6th, 2016 at 08:07:33.

The new engine just needs a few big holes patched up (rome red crash - i.e. the server-client desynch that can only be fixed by relogging). To not fix this in time to bundle it with the Steam release would be a huge wasted opportunity!

Ophiuchus : 220/30/80 HAHA etc
    Nahuatl
    :: 220/30/80 Melee 4lyfe
    Khurkh :: 220/30/80 healtankpew
    Transcendence
    Msanthropic
    : 210/26/60 nanostab
    Spidershiva :: 165/23/42 kite? eh?
    Silentmotion
    : 150/20/42 tankthink
    The Union

Grand Theft Auto is off topic for this thread and forum. Please shift that discussion elsehwere.
    Coordinator Anarrina
    Public Forums Moderation Team Lead
    Community Relations Department

Advisors of Rubi-Ka

Forum Social Guidelines // Social Events with ARK // Rubi-Ka Marriage Registry // ARK Tours // Join ARK!

A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one. -- GRRM

What's coming at us with Steam? This:

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/online_gaming

Meanwhile, people 4 years ago looking into the future:

http://forums.anarchy-online.com/sho...For-Newbie-OOC

http://forums.anarchy-online.com/sho...nt-Suggestions

(There's more but the forum search engine is a pita)

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast