Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Monthly Development Update - June 2016 (Happy 15th Anniversary!)

Quote Originally Posted by equilibrium View Post
    Why Funcom always do nasty things with AO ? really, it always had a potential for a awesome game and now we dont even have a "Development Update".

Come on, a official answer!
    There's no dev update because there are no dev resources dedicated to AO (and before someone counters with "there are still people working on AO" please note I said "dedicated").

Don't expect to see much of anything change unless FC decides on a new course.

At this point just seeing an ARK in game occasionally is a pleasant surprise.
    Theonara: "...but if I weren't married, some days I'd offer to kiss you. You just make too much sense. "
    Maeventura: "Sigh, once again I can but only bow for hyde's wisdom."

...."Social" keys, lightbars, wen-wens......Better tabbing!

... First Troxdoc with QL300 symbs (AO 17.0 pre-Albtraum guide) ... as well as first with 12 of 13 Alpha symbs.
    ... First TL1 Clanner with Omni-Armed Forces armor (pics) (pointless yet hawt)

<original UI hacker ... when not actively playing AO ... email = 'hyde [at] athenpaladins • org'>

Quote Originally Posted by equilibrium View Post
    Why Funcom always do nasty things with AO ? really, it always had a potential for a awesome game and now we dont even have a "Development Update".

Come on, a official answer!
    It's not just AO. FC is close to bankruptcy. They have put all of their MMOs into maintenance mode in order to focus on Conan Exiles and TSW Legends. Right now, the money from sales of Conan Exiles is the only thing keeping the company afloat. Read into this what you will.

Quote Originally Posted by Rahela View Post
    It's not just AO. FC is close to bankruptcy. They have put all of their MMOs into maintenance mode in order to focus on Conan Exiles and TSW Legends. Right now, the money from sales of Conan Exiles is the only thing keeping the company afloat. Read into this what you will.
    Not quite true, It is national pride and oil tycoon sugar daddy that is keeping funcom alive. If itw as relying on sub returns on their games they woulda sunk years ago.
    The only things of importance you will ever find in this life are only those things which you place importance upon!

Quote Originally Posted by gresh View Post
    Not quite true, It is national pride and oil tycoon sugar daddy that is keeping funcom alive. If itw as relying on sub returns on their games they woulda sunk years ago.
    If Funcom is the subject of national pride, that reflects poorly on that nation. Just look how unethical they are: they stop doing work on their game, they even announce it after a year, but they keep charging a subscription?! MMOs came with the subscription model precisely because they needed funds to keep working on the game, to come with new content, that is the idea of an MMO. Guild Wars doesn't charge a subscription, but at certain time intervals they come with new content and charge for it all together. No one charges money for not working on a game, this simply doesn't exist in the industry. Steam should ban them, I'll write them about it, come to think of it. Why would you still need a full subscription if you're just hosting an MMO? Unethical company, it should be a national disgrace.
    Last edited by Kesher; May 13th, 2017 at 12:51:52.

Unethical?

It isn't like they're hiding a thing about the status of the games.

We all have the choice to sub or not.
    Theonara: "...but if I weren't married, some days I'd offer to kiss you. You just make too much sense. "
    Maeventura: "Sigh, once again I can but only bow for hyde's wisdom."

...."Social" keys, lightbars, wen-wens......Better tabbing!

... First Troxdoc with QL300 symbs (AO 17.0 pre-Albtraum guide) ... as well as first with 12 of 13 Alpha symbs.
    ... First TL1 Clanner with Omni-Armed Forces armor (pics) (pointless yet hawt)

<original UI hacker ... when not actively playing AO ... email = 'hyde [at] athenpaladins • org'>

We should take this to European Court of Human Rights or UN Security Council. The way this company is run is the absolutely worst thing happening in the world right now. Sweden should be ashamed!
    Solweintraub - Engi - 220/30/70
    Byteflush... - Advy - 150/04/14

Tell me another MMO which has halted development completely, yet still charges a subscription.
    Last edited by Kesher; May 15th, 2017 at 10:08:33.

Quote Originally Posted by Kesher View Post
    Can you give me a link to the steam page where it can be bought and downloaded? I'm seeing tips to download it from hirezstudio's page, but it's not there either. I'm reading that the servers have been shut down. You're saying the game is still up and requires a subscription?
    So now it must have an open steam page? Good thing you're moving the goalpost because otherwise I might have given more examples.
    Last edited by Boltgun; May 15th, 2017 at 16:27:33.
    Server first !!! Neutral Solitus Male Soldier named Boltgun to wear a short with pink spots on RK1 !!!
    N E U T R A L I Z E R S

Quote Originally Posted by Boltgun View Post
    So now it must have an open steam page? Good thing you're moving the goalpost because otherwise I might have given more examples.
    You misunderstood, it doesn't have to have a steam page. But I need a link where I can verify your info. I can't reach a page where the game can be bought from and tells me about subscription, can you help please?

Quote Originally Posted by Kesher View Post
    You misunderstood, it doesn't have to have a steam page. You can provide any other link where I can verify your info. I can't reach a page where the game can be bought from and tells me about subscription, can you help please?
    Okay, A tale in the desert still charges an subscription and is clearly out of development.

http://www.atitd.com/ "After you've played 24 hours, we'll ask if you'd like to subscribe for $11.95 per month. "

Pathfinder Online requires a sub (according to mmorpg.com, the game site is garbage) and seemed to had very similar patches than AO (Since 2016, 1 content and 2 bug patches). Apparently the game is not even finished but the devs announced their wish to finish it, I doubt it will happen seeing how many layoff they had.

http://www.mmorpg.com/pathfinder-online

As for Global Agenda, hi res dropped development very fast. As in two zones and not even rolling out a promised third one. Yet they kept the game on steam with a f2p/cash shop/sub offer as long as cash paid the server.

I'm sure that there is other examples out there, barring exception like SWG, maintenance mode is a normal stage in a MMO life.

The point is: Is Funcom milking AO without investing in? Yes. Does players feel it is worth the money today? Yes. Is that immoral? Hell no.
    Last edited by Boltgun; May 15th, 2017 at 17:00:20.
    Server first !!! Neutral Solitus Male Soldier named Boltgun to wear a short with pink spots on RK1 !!!
    N E U T R A L I Z E R S

kesher has a point on fc is immoral and unethic, u fanboys are too blind. former fc ceo and 3 of senior executives has as of April 2017 been convicted by norwegian authorities and økokrim (norwegian FBI) for market manipulations and insider trading. they all will be going to jail this year. in other words fc is a Company that makes more Money on fraudulent activities by giving false informations to the Stock holders than actually selling videogames.

http://www.okokrim.no/doemt-for-innsidehandel-i-funcom
    Last edited by Anonimofied; May 15th, 2017 at 19:23:10.
    . . . everything in creation is impermanenT

Thanx for the reply, Boltgun.

When did økokrim become the the Norwegian equivalent to the FBI is all I wanna know.
    Darkempire 220/30/70 Agent
    {edited by Anarrina: see me if you have questions}
    When specifically asked for positive words, responding with a personal attack is incredibly rude and inappropriate. Please do not repeat such behavior.
    Quote Originally Posted by nums214 View Post
    If my wife never got preggo omni wouldn't have lost their fields. 2009 is pretty much when I quit.

I didn't actually speak up for FC in any of my comments, in fact I simply pointed out the futility of trying to start a crusade on a forum that the people concerned will never see; I did so with ONE word implicitly indicating I concurred with another posters comment. However as is too often is the case, the "you're for us or against us" tribalist mentality is prevalent here. It is an unhealthy conditioning too many have succumbed to without even realising it.

If you have to compartmentalize people into boxes as you've been conditioned to, then you're really not thinking for yourself.
    You're trapped in that mode of thinking powerless to act beyond it, it is a straightjacket to effective action.
    Caloss2 LVL 220 melee VANGUARD (semi retired).....Llewlyn 220/30/70 meepmeep.....Boooocal 220../30/70 Soldier.......Knack 220/30/70 Keeper.....Hiesenberg 215/xx/xx NT NERFED Neytiri1 220/30/70 Shade Knacker220/30/70Meat shield
    https://www.youtube.com/user/caloss2 for guides/walkthroughs/letsplays and all your other AO needs
    Quote Originally Posted by Mastablasta
    In my special design documents that I feed to the FC devs, who are my willing slaves.

What has the clearly immoral acting of former ceo and senior executives to do with the charging of a subscription for a game no longer being developed? Actually nothing I can think of ...
    You want to hold the whole company responsible for the action of its former ceo? Fine you probably would like to be thrown into prison because your cousin stole something right? Seems to be a fair action in your mind.

Yes fc charges subscription for a game that is no longer developed. But this is open knowlegde no one is being tricked to pay the subscription and think there is going to be new content for it.

You pay it out of your own free will and know exactly what you get. So if you think that immoral don't pay sub and shut up ...
    I'm not a fan of a subscription under these circumstances but I like the game nontheless and so I pay for it.

BTW read the terms you agree to for any online game with a subscription and you will read, that the subscription allows you to play the game and that is it. Not one of them states that you have a right to get new content through that. So all of them are acting immoral from your point of view.
    Last edited by Behoernchen; May 16th, 2017 at 08:18:41.
    Behoernchen - Adventurer - SEMPER FIDELIS

they are former fc employees because they got dismissed due to the ongoing investigation some years back. these 3 guys were not alone there were other ceo before them who only interested in making Money for themself than actually making good games all the way back in 2005 but did not got caught. this kind of ethics is the main cause former fc founders gaute Godager and many talented employees left the Company in 2007/2008. as u can see this business moral is toxicating the gaming community, and fanbois like u who supports these Methods of game Developement are like cancer cells that needs to be chopped off for the better good.

Alternity: ur right, fbi is more like school girls compared to økokrim so it was wrong to compres these guys

http://www.newsweb.no/newsweb/search...ssageId=427585

Leveraging and growing the internal Intellectual Properties such as Anarchy
    Online, The Longest Journey and The Secret World for both internal and 3rd
    party licensing for both games and other non-interactive entertainment

Seems AO will have some love Soon TM, lets wait one more time for Funcom Care ;|
    Last edited by equilibrium; May 16th, 2017 at 22:52:02.
    Cleric "Jpreston" Firstclass - Bureaucrat Squad Commander of Paradise

its ok to be fanbois of something we love, but it is not ok to be fanbois when we dont know the detailed background of our idols. those who runs fc today has nothing to do With fc Foundation and has nothing to do in gaming industry at all, they joined the company in 2005 and in 3 years managed to bully out the founder of fc gaute Godager and their talented employees who focusing on making good and fun game experiences. after that fc going downhill, laying off more employees and Closes Down multible Offices, moved their hq out of norway. asks yourself isnt this the same as cancer process supported by cancer cells?

Removed a bunch of posts for flaming and trolling. Please keep it civil.
    Coordinator Anarrina
    Public Forums Moderation Team Lead
    Community Relations Department

Advisors of Rubi-Ka

Forum Social Guidelines // Social Events with ARK // Rubi-Ka Marriage Registry // ARK Tours // Join ARK!

A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one. -- GRRM

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast