Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Monthly Development Update - March 2016 (April Fooled)

stabilize the engine pl0x
    having to avoid rome red because of well known crash bug is absolutely no fun at all
    OMNI-TEK

Quote Originally Posted by Pomidor View Post
    well I find it hard to explain, but I try. I live in Poland, I pay 78 PLN - my monthly salary is 2500 PLN. Basic prices of food and mothly salary are the same as in USA (afaik, but in USD)- so its rather comparision. And yes, I must pay this much 5% of my monthly salary for a single account. I was posting my expences for this game in other post - those are not small numbers. I could get yearly subscription, pay half of the price, but hey!, If I want to play only 2 months, not 6? I will still be forced to pay even more then I wanted to... This game is way to expansive for me.
    Except the exchange rate is not comparable. 1 Polish Zloty is not valued at 1 USD. actually its 1 USD to 3.75 PLD. Now saying that it means you would be paying 20.8 USD which is a bit more than expected but no where near 78 USD.

I am sorry to say but there is zero good news in this monthly development update ...

1. Vet points changes are not needed at all, with maybe one exception: I would not mind an option to make possible to exchange vet points for paid points and vice versa.
    That change would allow to ballance supply and demand for items that many ppl would like to have. I am not sure what exchange rate would be the best but it should be the same if you change paid points for vet points or the other way round. I think something like 1 vet point = 100 paid points would not be bad.
    I think such change would even increase FC revenue from paid points.

2. New content?
    Any MMORPG requires new content to keep it alive however it is not always endgame content...
    The biggest problem I see here is that any new endgame content (and especially more powerfull items) does more harm than good to game ballance and player's fun.

PvP ballance does not exist and the worst (most imballanced) level ranges to pvp are TL1-TL3 and TL7.
    New content and items for TL7 will not only make it worse but also will make a process of creating another endgame alt longer and more frustrating.
    When any player decide to roll and level new alt the list of "must have items" and "must complete quests" is already very long and time consuming.
    Even when you powerlevel new alt (which is hardly any fun) then depending on profession there are some "must have quest rewards" and items from certain instances like: Bronto Burger quests, Scheol quest, Adonis brain, Penumbra/Allappa. Inferno/Albatrum, Pandemonium, all APFsm DB quests, DB1-3 items, Biodome, HI, Mitaar, Vortex, 12 men, etc....

What is even worse is that even pvm is already badly imbalanced. All instances and encounters that were designed for raids (with exception of S42) are doable with 1 team or even 3-4 characters and majority of team instances and encounters are soloable for example Inner Samctum, EFP Mercenaries, LoTV, Mitaar and more...

I remember when Beast was done with 60-80 ppl and now most of the time its done with 5-8 ppl. OK, Beast was designed long time ago but even if you look at LoX instances they are already too easy for perfectly twinked end game characters:
    12 men can be done by 4-5 ppl, Vortex can be done with 3 ppl and Mitaar can be soloed

However if FC created more low and mid level instances it would be encouraging for veterans and new players to create new alts and check/experience new content. Another positive result would be to offer more fun and interesting way of leveling rather then sitting AFK on kite hill from level 70 to 150.
    Awikun 220/70/30 Ranged adv - my Main that I hardly ever log
    Awisha 220/70/30 Shade - Can solo 95% of all bosses
    Cratawi 200/70/30 Crat - S7/DR Solo farmer
    Awiken 220/70/30 Eng - Pvm Eng
    Nukiwa 200/70/30 NT - almost forgotten (awaiting retwink)
    Awidoc 200/70/30 Doc - 200 fun pvp twink
    Awix 200/70/30 Fix - 200 fun pvp twink
    Awienf 220/70/30 Enf - tanked every single boss (and still lives)
    Soldawi 220/70/30 Sol - Pvm Sold
    Awima 150/xx/xx Ma - best S10 MA farmer
    Doctorawi 220/70/30 - Pvm Doc
    Awienfo 200/70/30 - Atrox with Pande red belt and 2xQL300 hammers
    Macierewicz 220/70/30 - Pvm Crat
    Zlakobieta 220/70/30 - max complit +top tradeskiller

Quote Originally Posted by Awikun View Post
    However if FC created more low and mid level instances it would be encouraging for veterans and new players to create new alts and check/experience new content. Another positive result would be to offer more fun and interesting way of leveling rather then sitting AFK on kite hill from level 70 to 150.
    Not everyone is altoholic.
    Dragocz RK1

The biggest problem is, pretty much all of this stuff that everyone is bringing up is important. With a new game in the works, these details will probably be pushed to the back burner.Generally, I agree with what you guys are saying, though.

It sounds silly, but even Michi's lack of forum presence has kind of allowed a somewhat negative attitude build up among us. When he responded to threads here and there, the mood around here was very different, in my opinion.

Just a little bit of communication can go a long way.
    Vinkera - Soli NT - 426k DPM - Setup
    Robbey - Soli Crat

Lone anarchists - Tower of Babil

Celez - Soli Doc
    Loaloa - Soli Enf
    Wondershot - Nano Soldier
    Robzor - Soli Engi
    Proserpexa - Opi Agent

Trying out civilization - Storm

Quote Originally Posted by Vinkera View Post
    1 post a month ought to be enough for everybody!

Quote Originally Posted by Vinkera View Post
    The biggest problem is, pretty much all of this stuff that everyone is bringing up is important. With a new game in the works, these details will probably be pushed to the back burner.Generally, I agree with what you guys are saying, though.

It sounds silly, but even Michi's lack of forum presence has kind of allowed a somewhat negative attitude build up among us. When he responded to threads here and there, the mood around here was very different, in my opinion.

I can agree. Reminds me of.
    http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-31901078

Quote Originally Posted by Awikun View Post
    I remember when Beast was done with 60-80 ppl and now most of the time its done with 5-8 ppl. OK, Beast was designed long time ago but even if you look at LoX instances they are already too easy for perfectly twinked end game characters:
    12 men can be done by 4-5 ppl, Vortex can be done with 3 ppl and Mitaar can be soloed
    If you have been around AO long enough you should know that EVERYTHING starts out for the hardcore players to guinea pig, then they open up to more casual players over time. I could go down the list but its pretty easy to see the pattern. Of course some of this is due to power creep not game design.

Beast used to be exclusive to big orgs that might have allowed you to join their raid bot. Now it's instanced so anyone can enter any time.
    Org City raids used to be exclusive to big orgs that might have allowed you to join their raid bot. Now it's instanced so anyone can enter any time.

Ado brain quest had ruins guardians and muddy dryad nerfed to allow a team to actually defeat them without a 220 alt.
    Pen quest had alappa toned down to allow a team to actually defeat them without a 220 alt.
    Inf quest had victor nonya toned down to allow a team to actually defeat them without a 220 alt.

There is no choice but to make things more accessible over time. If you dont old players have no reason to do it, and new players could never complete it.
    ~Anyone can level, but only the wise gain experience~

*Bronto Burger, serving 10,000 high level noobs daily*

http://wolf-brigade.webs.com/

My Story

Don't feed the Mensa Tralalalala

Everyday I'm Shuffling.

Quote Originally Posted by Psikie View Post
    If you have been around AO long enough you should know that EVERYTHING starts out for the hardcore players to guinea pig, then they open up to more casual players over time. I could go down the list but its pretty easy to see the pattern.
    Well, not just AO. Relevant: http://thenoobcomic.com/comic/299/

Getting AO onto Steam should be your first and only priority. If that means finishing the engine then so be it. It's not just impossible to get a team at certain times like AUS primetime, it's almost impossible to do team content at all during the week. It's tough to sell loot on GMI to a dwindling customer base. It's tough to level lowbies. Battlestations are empty most of the time. What the game needs desperately, more than anything else, is an infusion of players. And Steam is the only realistic avenue left for AO to achieve this. Send a free month offer to canceled accounts and upgrade froobs to sloobs at the same time and then pray.
    Last edited by Louderer789; Apr 8th, 2016 at 06:18:09.
    New Engine - Announced: June 2007 ETA: Soon™ I'm speechless (June 2015)
    Rebalancing - Announced: January 2009 ETA: December 21, 2012 Started! (April 2015)
    New TL7 Pets - Announced: March 2009 ETA: Uh...
    AS Changes - Announced: July 2009 ETA: TBA
    Parry/Riposte - Announced: October 2009 ETA: ??? Did it! (April 2015)
    Perk Changes - Announced: October 2009 ETA: Right after server merge Started! (April 2015)
    Breed Change - Announced: November 2009 ETA: Hell freezing They did it!!! (Oct 2012)
    Beta Server - Announced: January 2010 ETA: Pigs Flying Did it! (Feb 2014)

good job funcom.

you finally managed to do something 0% of the playerbase likes.
    The vanity of others runs counter to our taste only when it runs counter to our vanity.

Quote Originally Posted by Michizure View Post
    I do not have an answer to everything, and some issues go beyond my power to fix, but I will do what I can to Make Rubi-Ka Great Again. Thanks again to those who have stuck with us.
    Thanks for taking interest in Rubi-Ka at all. The biggest sin of the previous directors was (IMHO) treating Rubi-Ka like the bastard child - starting with Shadow Lands, which still remain the biggest "WTF?" of Anarchy Online for me.

I hope "bug fixes" will include the new engine issues like stability and texture loading problems (i.e. http://forums.anarchy-online.com/sho...-Engine-issues). Seriously hope so, because going back to the old engine is a big no-no for me. Hope to see the day of the new engine going out of beta, with more than just pretty shadows and grass.

That being said, thanks for The Reck! It's an awesome PF with fun content, great loot and amazing leveling-up opportunities for both fr00bs and paid players. Great job on that one. Although the screen lock/crash after using Whompah to get there should be addressed ASAP.

All in all, Michi, you're efforts definitely brought back a bunch of players - myself included (on both fr00b and sl00b accounts). OOC is often a living proof of that :]

P.S. Do something about the economy, pretty please. 1 billion for GA4 is absurd and unobtainable in any realistic and reasonable amount of time for fr00bs/sl00bs.
    Last edited by PixelPolish; Apr 8th, 2016 at 11:19:26. Reason: P.S.
    PixelPolishTV: Munching magic pills since the 80's

New game director same bad decisions - as long as funcom considers profession balance and pvp are bottom of the barrel issues instead of absolute top priority this game will remain stale. Spamming more pvm and more op items just shows cluelessness about AO's biggest gameplay problems. This game by all means doesn't need more pvm and quests, if anything there's already way too much of that.

Shame that all of michi's efforts are going towards polishing the surface while completely ignoring the rotten core.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkerThanBlack View Post
    New game director same bad decisions - as long as funcom considers profession balance and pvp are bottom of the barrel issues instead of absolute top priority this game will remain stale. Spamming more pvm and more op items just shows cluelessness about AO's biggest gameplay problems. This game by all means doesn't need more pvm and quests, if anything there's already way too much of that.Shame that all of michi's efforts are going towards polishing the surface while completely ignoring the rotten core.
    you can thank the vocal minority of pvm carebears for that.

A comment on PvP / PvM in an MMORPG.
    Most MMO players never PvP. Only a small minority of players enjoy PvP. Some people will engage in PvP if the game rewards them for doing so, but they only do it because they feel they "have" to, for fear of loosing out on some kind of reward.

So if you are an MMO dev, and only 20% of your player base actually PvP, then you can only commit 20% of your budget to that content.
    Another major MMO recently closed their last PvP server, giving up on the dead horse that it was. All remaining servers are PvM. There just wasn't the pvp player base to support the cost.

So please stop blaming PvM players because the dev focus more on PvM content. They are simply supporting the larger player base. You will still get updates and content for PvP, just not as much.
    Last edited by Haizen; Apr 8th, 2016 at 20:28:34.

^ a shining example of the vocal minority

Quote Originally Posted by Lazy View Post
    ^ a shining example of the vocal minority
    In addition to forum polls, which clearly show pvm to be more important than pvp. Its a simple matter to check server load on participants at tower raids, tara, and battle station. Want to bet 100 million credits at what the facts say the minority is?
    ~Anyone can level, but only the wise gain experience~

*Bronto Burger, serving 10,000 high level noobs daily*

http://wolf-brigade.webs.com/

My Story

Don't feed the Mensa Tralalalala

Everyday I'm Shuffling.

Quote Originally Posted by Psikie View Post
    In addition to forum polls, which clearly show pvm to be more important than pvp. Its a simple matter to check server load on participants at tower raids, tara, and battle station. Want to bet 100 million credits at what the facts say the minority is?
    now that multiboxing killed towers so anyone that was serious about pvp quit to play other games and the game is a literal wasteland with nobody on, sure. i guess all that's left is pvm cupcakes. however when tara was pulling 2 ri's per side you can bet your behind everyone and their mum was pvping

Most people do Tara because its the only meaningful pvp... Towers are about multiboxing, bs is about kill farming and duels are about skill

Tara is about slaying the dragon.... Arguably there should be more tara like events at other ranges.. Preferably level locked...

Tara would be allmighty raid with 189 lvl lock for example...
    Quote Originally Posted by Michizure View Post
    This'll be fixed for the next patch

Quote Originally Posted by Lazy View Post
    now that multiboxing killed towers so anyone that was serious about pvp quit to play other games and the game is a literal wasteland with nobody on, sure. i guess all that's left is pvm cupcakes. however when tara was pulling 2 ri's per side you can bet your behind everyone and their mum was pvping

Question:

When "tara was pulling 2 ri's per side" how many people playing AO where still not interested in PvP?

I have been to Tara raids on occasions and I have seen very little PvP in most of those years. There where occasional periods in which Tara was disputed, but for the most part it has been a one sided BUSINESS where a few players of one faction controlled the loot with a raidbot. Reason why they eventually lost participation from casuals and were eventually replaced by the other faction raidbot.

Tara has always been one of the credit farms in AO, enabled by the developers who have always turned a blind eye to this scam. Lazy will make a big whine post because he was for some time part of the scheme. Our golden trollboy has financed his PvP twinks with the sale of loot from Tara not from farming credits the "ineficient" way.

I'm not jealous of Lazy's or the other farmers "achievements". But don't give me the "we love PvP" crap. There is no PvP in AO. Unless you consider title farming and ganking PvP ofc.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast