Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Monthly Development Update - February 2016 (Peaceful Intentions)

Funcom employee Monthly Development Update - February 2016 (Peaceful Intentions)

Hello everyone! February has been a good month, allowing for a lot of planning and progress to be made towards the next set of content. The main objective of this is to further incentivize and improve existing content on Rubi-Ka, opening the door to a set of updates with the focus of fixes and improvements to the game.

The Reck & New Map
    Earlier this month, we released The Reck! Information on this update can be found here. We recently released a small update to address some initial issues with the playfield, and will continue to make adjustments as needed; the next update will balance some camps to be more accessible to smaller groups or solo players. The main purpose of this playfield was to create additional avenues for XP gains, allowing for leveling to be more possible for a larger population, and lessening the reliance on things such as Elysium kite teams. I would like to further expand the list of available quests, and eventually incorporate a dungeon into the playfield, but these will be side-endeavors and passion projects of mine, when time makes itself available.

As a bonus to everyone, bundled with the update was an updated default planet map, in addition to a more detailed map, from Saavick!

A New Peacekeeper Arrives
    The next larger AO update will introduce a new Peacekeeper, representing ICC: Arbiter Vincenzo Palmiero. He will be offering special assignments to eligible candidates to help handle some growing threats around Rubi-Ka. From the rising cultist threat in Greater Tir County, to the Dust Brigade, to the Kyr'Ozch, Palmiero is prepared to enforce Peace wherever possible. After completing objectives and defeating some enemies, old and new, he is prepared to offer some rare and valuable rewards. Completing his missions will also grant a new sort of currency to be used to obtain some additional unique rewards.

Arbiter Palmiero will have a busy schedule, only being available for a limited amount of time each month. His missions are designed to take some effort, but offer appropriate compensation. These missions will also offer some added benefits to participating in them. For example a ToTW mission will grant increased run speed and experience gains when inside of ToTW.

I intend to have the first round of these updates completed during March. With the initial groundwork set, it should be easier to add more of these kinds of missions, going forward.

Thank You!
    February came and went past in a flash, but I hope to have more to add to Rubi-Ka in the coming weeks. With these changes out of the way, this will free up a lot of time to devote solely to QoL improvements, balance issues, and bug fixing. I will try to include some of these changes in the next major update, but focus will be given to getting Palmiero's missions implemented. Finally, plans for the 15th Anniversary have begun.

Have a great March, everyone!
    Henry "Michizure" Senger
    Lead Designer

Not sure what I think about 'time-locked' questy dudes who give 'rare and valuable' rewards.

Beyond that, sounds grand
    Pricecuts - 220 Trader
    Feel free to contact me via PM or in-game.

Raggy - 220 Bureaucrat || Raggeh - 220 Fixer | Back as 'Raggys' - Shade for the time being. | Nuclei - 217 Nanotechnician || Nanobiology - 214 Doctor

Tip #743: As noted in Tip #244, tea bags have an infinite variety of uses. However, there's always one jerk who will want to give you crap over drinking tea. Particularly if in a new town, use this as an opportunity to assert yourself. Any drunken idiot can win a bar fight. It takes a real man to win a bar fight while enjoying a cup of Earl Grey.

Quote Originally Posted by Michizure View Post
    Arbiter Palmiero will have a busy schedule, only being available for a limited amount of time each month. His missions are designed to take some effort, but offer appropriate compensation. These missions will also offer some added benefits to participating in them. For example a ToTW mission will grant increased run speed and experience gains when inside of ToTW.

Have a great March, everyone!
    So will the rewards only apply to those who participate or everyone on the server? It's a bit iffy on which it applies to from what you said, since it's a monthly quest, but if only 30 people actually are on for it (US timezone vs EU timezone when it happens) only those 30 would receive the bonus for completing it becoming useless for those of us who can't participate.
    Now if it's something that's around for a few days, then my previous saying is moot ^^

I also didn't notice there's a video on your smiley, without doing this post quote lol.
    Characters:
    Legendfluff (with many accounts of froobs)

Froob Level 5 Collar: http://i.imgur.com/I19c92X.jpg
    Froob atrox Lv5 Collar: http://i.imgur.com/2zVqTX9.jpg

With the onset of awakened beast armor, we can now equip Alpha chest on Atrox Soldiers & Alpha Brain on Atrox Doctors.

Last...

As AO seems to have been updated on Steam, is there any schedule for it's release there?
    Ekarona 220/30 Female Solitus Engineer, long term member of Northern Star and proper "poor" gimp.
    Ekaslave 220/low Female Solitus Trader, FLAT(TM) pricing TS, almost all can do!
    Ekaros almost there/almost there too Male Solitus Martial-Artist.
    Ekadv gimp/gimp Female Opifex Adventurer

Yaaaaasssssssssssssssssss!
    Dysfunktion.
    Trypants.
    Setup.
    One bright day in the middle of the night,
    Two dead boys got up to fight.
    Back to back they faced each other,
    Drew their swords, and Shot each other.
    A deaf policeman heard the noise,
    He came and killed those two dead boys.
    If you don't believe this lie is true... ask the Blind Man, He saw it too.

A dungeon in the Reck and missions from peacekeeper Palmiero sound great, I'm looking forward to it

Great stuff, can't wait to play through it!
    Michizure is love, Michizure is life.
    --
    Dywas - 220/30/70 Neutral Nanomage Nano-Technician
    Caramela - 220/30/70 Neutral Solitus Doctor
    Desejos - 220/30/?? Neutral Atrox Enforcer
    Gretchenross - 220/30/?? Neutral Opifex Shade
    Bizzle - 220/30/70 Neutral Atrox Soldier

--<3 Professional love--
    * Aiken pets Lazy on the head. Sure it is, you keep telling self that
    <Aiken> such a cutesy clammer aren't you *cheekpinch*
    <Lazy>
    <Lazy> viva la revolucion
    * Dywas decides to walk away from the soon-to-be sexytime
    <Aiken> lol Dywas, Id make a man of him
    <Lazy> Dywas, i'd go gay for aiken. no lie

Please look at "Neut board" from POH ClL requiremnts...
    The way it is now is more than stupid!
    Awikun 220/70/30 Ranged adv - my Main that I hardly ever log
    Awisha 220/70/30 Shade - Can solo 95% of all bosses
    Cratawi 200/70/30 Crat - S7/DR Solo farmer
    Awiken 220/70/30 Eng - Pvm Eng
    Nukiwa 200/70/30 NT - almost forgotten (awaiting retwink)
    Awidoc 200/70/30 Doc - 200 fun pvp twink
    Awix 200/70/30 Fix - 200 fun pvp twink
    Awienf 220/70/30 Enf - tanked every single boss (and still lives)
    Soldawi 220/70/30 Sol - Pvm Sold
    Awima 150/xx/xx Ma - best S10 MA farmer
    Doctorawi 220/70/30 - Pvm Doc
    Awienfo 200/70/30 - Atrox with Pande red belt and 2xQL300 hammers
    Macierewicz 220/70/30 - Pvm Crat
    Zlakobieta 220/70/30 - max complit +top tradeskiller

Weird video, i feel like the kid in the sofa
    Don't you just hate this kind of ppl
    http://redwing.hutman.net/%7Emreed/w...rouscranus.htm

Sounds good. I too hope that by 'time-locked' you mean days and not hours, but that's in the details. The concept sounds great, can't wait to play it.
    Hellcom "Stillian" Receptionist | Eternalist | Squad Commander of Primal Evolution
    Agent "Lilmiz007" Isbeak | Finalizer | Squad Commander of Primal Evolution
    Style "Heldale" Attack | General | Squad Commander of Primal Evolution

|| Primal Evolution ||

Quote Originally Posted by Michizure View Post
    [/URL]
    This sounds like something along the line of SWTOR's 1-weekend-a-month events. Personally I dislike and certainly caution against game design that forces players to plan their time around the game rather than play the game when they have time available. Also, limiting content to small time segments does little more than congest the area with players trying to do the content for their characters repeatedly (including every alt) causing massive player competition and resentment.

If the goal is to limit the rewards of this content, I'd rather see a better mechanic that spreads out participation across the month and let's players play on their own time. Example, allow players to take a set number of missions each month, resetting the first of the month.

Wow, am just amazed me clicking Dev tracker actually pulled up a new post! Them words, they rationed, or keyboards wearing out? Only get so many clicks out of them I guess...

I'm still waiting to see the instanced floors of Gauntlet open like iPande on a 4 hour lock timer...

220s "Wakizaka", "Sneakygank", "Wakimango", "Wakisolja", "Tardersauce", "Bushwaki", "Midgetgank", "Bugfixxx", "Ramsbottom", "Paskadoc"
    200s Chrisd, Malema, Delbaeth
    TL5s Youfail, Bugfixx, Riothamus, Johndee

Proud President of Haven | TL5 PvP

I'd love to know what items will be offered and (if there will be some new ones) - how will they affect balance overall.
    G.F.B.D.
    --------------------------------------------
    Artyomis has played 800 days 0 hours 0 minutes 0 seconds
    WTB subscription price lowered for eastern europe countries due to current USD/EUR-to-local-currency rates.

Quote Originally Posted by Artyomis View Post
    I'd love to know what items will be offered and (if there will be some new ones) - how will they affect balance overall.
    sadly new items tend to unbalance the game more even thou new items tend to be exciting.

So is this new Peacekeeper like Tara or the Gauntlet ... on some kind of timer with notices in chat? If there are TotW missions, will there be other missions for the various levels? It sounds like it could have potential ...

Emma

The Reck is a great addition and your plans, as always, sound really good. Is there any intention to develop the existing Agency missions? I believe these were introduced with the similar intent to your new Peacekeeper (revitilising some RK areas) and with a similar mechanism for future expansion.
    Last edited by Auct; Feb 27th, 2016 at 21:16:52. Reason: Typo

Content ... spring ... new stuff - nice news !
    Send some mails to all veterans about new content ... Get a guy/girl from inside to stream a bit ... Maybe some talk ... 1 hour on a saturday ... Facebook, tweet, youtube, some little publicity ...

The game is changing and growing - make it known
    Operator : "Are we safe from russian hackers ?"
    Support : "Da"

How many currencies AO will have, then? I don't even know what the in game store uses these days, but besides, there will be new special quest points, creds, victory points, veteran points...
    Last edited by eroz_c; Feb 28th, 2016 at 11:30:29.
    Eroz, finally 220/26/70 Adventurer & proud General of Regulators on ex-RK2 (outdated) equip
    Rokroland, 170 Engineer No more crab for j00 Northern Front on ex-RK2
    Ranged roxxorz!
    Sig last updated properly when West Athens still had people sitting about the subway.
    Quote Originally Posted by Siahanor View Post
    Complaining about the realism of height changing mechanics in a game that has people who can channel their anger to make huge killer meatballs.

New content coming--YAY! New currency--MEH. The devs at Trion went overboard with that in the Game Defiance. They've put in a new faction currency with almost every DLC/expansion 8 or 9 now. (good game despite that though). Imagine AO having Credits, Victory Points, Clan Currency, Omni Currency, Neutral Currency, Alien Currency
    Redeemed Currency, and Unredeemed Currency. Each would have its own vendor with SHINIES, OMG!. At first you go "neat"...6 or 7 currencies later you get the seven deadly words: "I don't care about this character anymore".

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast