Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Monthly Development Update - December 2015 (RIP 2015)

I'd say lock the zone down.

The point is give people a reason to play in that level range and not cruise through it on kite hill.
    Vinkera - Soli NT - 426k DPM - Setup
    Robbey - Soli Crat

Lone anarchists - Tower of Babil

Celez - Soli Doc
    Loaloa - Soli Enf
    Wondershot - Nano Soldier
    Robzor - Soli Engi
    Proserpexa - Opi Agent

Trying out civilization - Storm

Just don't allow multilogging, problem partly solved (not counting those who log 6 different puters. Nerf heckling xp, maybe boost some quest xp and design quests so higher levels arn't much use.

I, for one, am very thankful that an open world zone will, in fact, be open. If there's somethign very special, like uber phats, then lock those behind an instance (a new dungeon maybe?) with level locks. Or make them quest rewards and put upper level limits on being able to pull the quest. Problem solved. No need to close off parts of the open land of RK.

Ophiuchus : 220/30/80 HAHA etc
    Nahuatl
    :: 220/30/80 Melee 4lyfe
    Khurkh :: 220/30/80 healtankpew
    Transcendence
    Msanthropic
    : 210/26/60 nanostab
    Spidershiva :: 165/23/42 kite? eh?
    Silentmotion
    : 150/20/42 tankthink
    The Union

I'm all for the zone being open. I wonder if it might be best, however, to keep the zone level-locked for it's first month or 2, then remove the level-lock. That way for the initial rush it's all level-appropriate players.

I originally thought that the zone should be open to all levels but now I've had time to think on it, I believe it would be more enjoyable to have it level locked.

Leaving the zone open will just cause the majority of players to log 220s to complete the content, even I myself would most likely do this just to speed the process up. However playing this way would make the actual content of the zone redundant and make the player see the zone as just another area to speed through for loot rather than enjoying the experience with fellow players.

So personally I think it should have stayed as level locked content.
    Last edited by blackhawks93; Dec 23rd, 2015 at 01:23:10.
    -Equilibrium-
    Perkable - 220/30 Crat
    Enforcblack - 220/30 Enf
    Blacklist - 200/30 Adv
    Blackhawkzz - 200/30 Crat
    Nano93 - 168/23 NT
    Blackhawkss - 164/22 Sold
    Black - 150/20 Enf
    Blackhawks - 126/15 Agent
    Cannibalz - 92/9 Enf
    Blackhawks00 -57/6 MP
    Blackhawkd - 29/3 Tard

I don't think locking the zone will solve any potential problems. Leveling toons, usually in somewhat ad hoc gear, will have a hard time competing with any well polished character. The difference between a 220 and a 150 twink, in terms of end result, will be negligible.

If the goal is to avoid people pissing all over each other, make the good stuff instanced.

Outside of that, it's just forcing people to play the way you want them to, which is disingenuous at best.
    Kithessence - neutral opi shade
    Fistsoflead - neutral opi MA
    Kithiria - omni opi shade, retired

Any news on when the New Engine glitch that disabled /follow on mobs but not players is going to be addressed? I've all but given up playing my melee characters in frustration here.

Ophiuchus : 220/30/80 HAHA etc
    Nahuatl
    :: 220/30/80 Melee 4lyfe
    Khurkh :: 220/30/80 healtankpew
    Transcendence
    Msanthropic
    : 210/26/60 nanostab
    Spidershiva :: 165/23/42 kite? eh?
    Silentmotion
    : 150/20/42 tankthink
    The Union

Quote Originally Posted by Ophiuchus View Post
    Any news on when the New Engine glitch that disabled /follow on mobs but not players is going to be addressed? I've all but given up playing my melee characters in frustration here.
    This also makes the Shy Eremite! daily nearly impossible to complete since you can't even see the mob in order to follow it manually.

Emma

Well since 18.7 everyone got all the maps and upgrades.
    You can now see them on the playfield map.
    It's an inconvenience tho, and hopefully it's fixed this decade

- Xanny

Quote Originally Posted by muzzz View Post
    If the goal is to avoid people pissing all over each other, make the good stuff instanced.
    I only presume to speak for myself, and I suggested caution to avoid situations where a 220 drags their 100-150 toon through the content at the expense of teaming. If my 113 Engie can't team because all of the mobs are insta-splatted by a 220 who CBA to fight "someone their own size" then that playfield will disappoint me (and probably many others).

And I think, in an MMO, it's ok to force players to team once in a while.
    Ghosts of Rimor
    Gorastopr 220 MA Doctor :: No pew pew. Thwack thwack.
    Goratinkr TL5 OT Hurler Factotum Engineer :: Bringin' the thunder since 2008.
    Scrubup 100 Bow Doctor :: Will she ever get out of perk reset? Stay tuned!
    Ghosts of Atlantean
    Unda TL7 MA Engineer :: Crying for more crit.
    Measles LVL1 Pistol Doctor :: It takes 2 stims to self the Expertises.

Quote Originally Posted by Le-Quack View Post
    i might be a troll

Quote Originally Posted by Gorathon View Post
    Heretic. The very thought of teaming with the proletariat fills me with dread...
    Hellcom "Stillian" Receptionist | Eternalist | Squad Commander of Primal Evolution
    Agent "Lilmiz007" Isbeak | Finalizer | Squad Commander of Primal Evolution
    Style "Heldale" Attack | General | Squad Commander of Primal Evolution

|| Primal Evolution ||

Quote Originally Posted by Gorathon View Post
    I only presume to speak for myself, and I suggested caution to avoid situations where a 220 drags their 100-150 toon through the content at the expense of teaming. If my 113 Engie can't team because all of the mobs are insta-splatted by a 220 who CBA to fight "someone their own size" then that playfield will disappoint me (and probably many others).

The first point I was trying to make was that level locking the zone will not solve these issues. It would just turn it into an outdoor ToTW or Biomare, where a well-made twink can make, or ruin, your day almost as fast as a 220 could. And even a low level player with more agro than intelligence can quickly make things unpleasant.

People will always disagree about how to tackle content. That's why I tend to advocate instancing: so that different minded people can have their own little instance, and you and I can have our level-appropriate team instance.
    Kithessence - neutral opi shade
    Fistsoflead - neutral opi MA
    Kithiria - omni opi shade, retired

Thumbs up

A good year for AO. Looking forward to another!

Merry Xmas, Merry Humbug, & Happy Holidays to all!

Quote Originally Posted by Emma View Post
    I missed that change, sorry ... it should go back to being level locked. Otherwise it will be 220's taking their alts thru the quest content.
    First off, who cares if someone pulls an alt through the zone. Or better yet why would you care if a player runs it in a med suit with ql 50 imps on? That should have absolutely no bearing on your personal enjoyment of the new zone.

If its a questline type of encounters then it will probably be a bunch of blue names that send you around the place anyway. If it is setup anything like bronto burger quests your alt is going to have to talk to each and every one anyway. With a minimum of kill 3-5 critters at each point the spawn times will probably be fast enough that it shouldnt matter if 220's are in there after the first week it is open.
    ~Anyone can level, but only the wise gain experience~

*Bronto Burger, serving 10,000 high level noobs daily*

http://wolf-brigade.webs.com/

My Story

Don't feed the Mensa Tralalalala

Everyday I'm Shuffling.

Good level locked zones was a horrible addition to begin with. To a regular player it doesn't matter if its a 220 or a 190 twink, both are so far ahead of them they might as well be gods.

And if its the twinks that are complaining, well that's just too bad, its the same thing your doing to regular players.

Either way its not like there is enough players to have to worry about over camping past the first few days, its not like it was during release where you have dungeons spawning additional playfields as they were reaching their cap. All current level locks should just be removed, or bring back the old Playfield system, and make people over a certain level spawn in PF2, as the goal was never to actually make it so you couldn't get certain items/see certain content past a set level unless you make yet another character.
    Last edited by Krause; Dec 29th, 2015 at 17:56:26.
    Krause Equip

*** Krause's Evil WTB Thread! (Weird/Odd Stuff) ***
    (Items like "Lost Faith/Hope", "Wreath of Insects", "Chirop Exoskeleton Wing Mesh", "Small Jar", "Old Barrel")
    Quote Originally Posted by Means View Post
    This is going to get done if it kills me or preferably someone else.

I think it's moreso because instead of using your 220 to railroad your alt from 90-160 on Hecklers, it'll just be doing this questline instead, probably multiple times. Then a routine will set in and it'll become just as mindless as hecklers was, albeit slightly less so. TOTW was always a shining example of forcing players to work together at low levels to get what they wanted from the place, whether it be XP or items, and while 60s did run through there often, the place had enough staying power that you didn't need it for just one quick jaunt of item-collecting.

Sure, 160s can be powerful, but if the playfield is built for them then no 220 will be challenged one bit by whatever the questlines will throw at them anyway. If it's going to be a pinball "A -> B -> C" style a la Dark Ruins then...
    [[ RYUAHN | 220/21 Opifex Trader
    == Proud Member of Core ==
    [[ ALASTROPHE | 220/15 Solitus Martial-Artist

Quote Originally Posted by Raggy View Post
    There is literally nothing wrong with {Shutdown Skills} in it's current incarnation. What should be being looked at is the reason why it's needed so much. E.g, the incredible amount of Alpha being thrown around and the fickleness of Evade profs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cratertina View Post
    I walk in to BS... could not perk people... with 3704 AR and 300 AAD drain... NT facerolled me, shade instagibbed me, after a few minutes I just decided not gonna bother.

I dunno, my original TOTW experience was my team of noobs usually not being able to OD the solo TOTW twink on GoT. And that was pre SL/AI weapons/armor/

I later made one and its ridiculous. If a single twink can OD an entire team of normal geared new players leveling through the place and mindlessly destroy every boss then they might as well not even have a cap.

I'm honestly more against denying higher levels access then anything, I don't care if they are in separate PF's. No content should no longer be accessible because you got too strong. Altaholics probably see no issue with it, but a player shouldn't have to make a dumb new character just to see lower level instances, not to mention the inability to get any nodrop items you missed unless they are added in some other outside location.
    Last edited by Krause; Dec 30th, 2015 at 05:08:55.
    Krause Equip

*** Krause's Evil WTB Thread! (Weird/Odd Stuff) ***
    (Items like "Lost Faith/Hope", "Wreath of Insects", "Chirop Exoskeleton Wing Mesh", "Small Jar", "Old Barrel")
    Quote Originally Posted by Means View Post
    This is going to get done if it kills me or preferably someone else.

As it draws to a close, thanks for the 2015 content; looking forward to 2016 AO adventures.
    Refractal ~ Nano Tech
    Sunless ~ Shade

just pls fix new engine, it's all I want.

I have just one, single solitary Quality of Life request to make for this comming year.
    Mich, my old friend, I loved you like a brother, can you PLEASE put back all the crap you moved to ICC.
    Putting all the important waypoints in the game in to the same, laggy, visualy repulsive playfield makes no sense and my entire org atleast would be most gratefull if we where able to ignore the entire zone completely, forever.
    Quote Originally Posted by egadsrk2 View Post
    In the case of this little drama, Party A created a situation. Party B perpetuated it with name calling. Party A finished it with violence...
    I was "party A"

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast