Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Monthly Development Update - June 2015 (Uno, dos, tres, Catorce!)

Funcom employee Monthly Development Update - June 2015 (Uno, dos, tres, Catorce!)

Hello everyone! This past Saturday marked Anarchy Online's 14th anniversary. Thank you to GSP and ARK for hosting the event, and to everyone who was able to attend!

Anniversary Event

Last week The Tinker, the Desert Rider, and his Desert Nomads returned to Rubi-Ka, and they will remain until July 13th. Those who assist The Tinker a sufficient amount will be awarded with a "Vacuum Packed Desert Nomad Armor." Additionally, when the Desert Rider falls, it will spawn a large gift that will offer an additional reward item for everyone who helped defeat this scoundrel; simply run through the large box to claim a prize!

During this event, we are also offering a new subscription offer, the details of which can be found here. In addition to the normal incentives included with these bundles, this year will be offering access to the Luxurious Armor set.

Finally, please be sure to log in during this event to grab your Ganimedes Personal Jetpack, and other free items from the Item Shop.

New Engine

With the start of the Anniversary, we patched the Live servers with AO version 18.8.0. While this patch included some Anniversary updates, perhaps the largest change was that this opened up the New Engine client to be used on the Live servers.

The reaction has been mixed, but I cannot say this was entirely unexpected. It is worth noting that we would not have brought this to Live if there were no plans or intentions to develop it further. Highest priority will be given to the current set of stability issues, as well as some of the larger visual issues. Beyond these priority fixes, there are plans to roll out visual enhancements. Specific details will be shared when there are visuals to show.

Bringing this new engine client back into the spotlight, both externally and internally, was an important step, with updates and improvements ahead of us.

Upcoming Updates

I plan to prepare and release an 18.8.2 near the end of the Anniversary event. The purpose of this patch will be some more bug fixes, and minor adjustments.

After 18.8.2, designer focus will be shifted back towards the design and implementation of the 'Pyramid of Home' dungeon. As this will be a larger update, a smaller patch or two could be expected between these versions to make some balance adjustments and other necessary adjustments.

Thank You

It has been a busy couple of months, between both of the 18.7 and 18.8 updates. While there is still work to be done resulting from both of those large updates, it will be refreshing to begin work on new endeavors and initiatives. Thank you everyone and I hope you have a great July!
    Henry "Michizure" Senger
    Lead Designer

first, woohoo!
    Don't you just hate this kind of ppl
    http://redwing.hutman.net/%7Emreed/w...rouscranus.htm

Also on a slighty more serious note, what did you change the lead bot droprate to now Michi?
    Don't you just hate this kind of ppl
    http://redwing.hutman.net/%7Emreed/w...rouscranus.htm

Best Thing to happen to AO ever.. Henry "Michizure" Senger

Props
    Caloss2 LVL 220 melee VANGUARD (semi retired).....Llewlyn 220/30/70 meepmeep.....Boooocal 220../30/70 Soldier.......Knack 220/30/70 Keeper.....Hiesenberg 215/xx/xx NT NERFED Neytiri1 220/30/70 Shade Knacker220/30/70Meat shield
    https://www.youtube.com/user/caloss2 for guides/walkthroughs/letsplays and all your other AO needs
    Quote Originally Posted by Mastablasta
    In my special design documents that I feed to the FC devs, who are my willing slaves.

On one side we had/have patching woes, invisible dragons, weird Mantis Queens, little mantis spammers, invisible shade weapons and crashing upon entering luxury apartments.

On another side we have better graphics and, for some, better performance in crowded areas as well as the tiny little detail of the game actually being PLAYABLE on the majority of integrated / switchable graphics laptops. Some people have had issues patching and/or running the game. I have tried it on 4 PC's. 2 of them are laptops that had really bad issues with the old engine and now work perfectly well.

While the bad bits are either solved or being solved soon.. the good bits are here to stay and be improved on.

Keep up the awesomeness, Michizure.
    Michizure is love, Michizure is life.
    --
    Dywas - 220/30/70 Neutral Nanomage Nano-Technician
    Caramela - 220/30/70 Neutral Solitus Doctor
    Desejos - 220/30/?? Neutral Atrox Enforcer
    Gretchenross - 220/30/?? Neutral Opifex Shade
    Bizzle - 220/30/70 Neutral Atrox Soldier

--<3 Professional love--
    * Aiken pets Lazy on the head. Sure it is, you keep telling self that
    <Aiken> such a cutesy clammer aren't you *cheekpinch*
    <Lazy>
    <Lazy> viva la revolucion
    * Dywas decides to walk away from the soon-to-be sexytime
    <Aiken> lol Dywas, Id make a man of him
    <Lazy> Dywas, i'd go gay for aiken. no lie

Any news on when AO will be added to Steam?

All hail!
    Dysfunktion.
    Trypants.
    Setup.
    One bright day in the middle of the night,
    Two dead boys got up to fight.
    Back to back they faced each other,
    Drew their swords, and Shot each other.
    A deaf policeman heard the noise,
    He came and killed those two dead boys.
    If you don't believe this lie is true... ask the Blind Man, He saw it too.

Quote Originally Posted by Caloss2 View Post
    Best Thing to happen to AO ever.. Henry "Michizure" Senger

Props
    Agreed!

I quit years ago for various reasons after only reaching level 100. Came back to try 18.7 and am really impressed by the improvements. The game's really been tidied up and refocussed. Keep up the good work!

Another month and another month of overdelivering.

Can i now haz MA buff for MP's?

1he/pistol combo for advy

and.. most importantly some Michizure T-shirt

Current pace of changes make for a very compelling game, and chamges improve replayability a lot. Game changes faster than I manage to upgrade my characters.
    Last edited by Cratertina; Jun 30th, 2015 at 23:10:07. Reason: Added final paragraph.
    Quote Originally Posted by Michizure View Post
    This'll be fixed for the next patch

So far so good. All changes made in last patches were big, but I can not resist feeling they were needed.

As goes for New Engine: Great thing to hear you will be working on it later. Stability is the key, because at this moment I just can not enjoy it - reason behind this it crashes randomly or on zoning on 3 platforms (Vista/XP/XP) and can not play smooth on it.

I would like to see some adjustment to X-HB/HE Focus line - at this moment 2hb line is broken in execution 2 major perks in time, leaving them locked w/o reason, lowering damage output (highly noticable in PvP).

/thumbs up!
    I like PvP
    TL6: Tereshkova 200 eng / Patrollerz 200 sol / Tankietka 200 NM enf / Pielegniarka 200 Tank Doc / Oleska 200 SOLIKeep
    TL5: Miazga 150 sol / Piknababa 150 NM Enf 2he / Gigantika 150 NM Enf / Malutki 150 Enf Trox WIP
    TL4: Ladyrazor 112 fixer (retired) / Shha 100 NT / Cycolina lvl 100 NM Enforcer
    + Tons of other chars...
    I make weird TwInkz!
    Signature updated: 29/06/2016

Michi rocks Keep it up!

You're doing a great job Michi.

Keep it up but don't burn out!

All hai Michi! :3
    Lainbr - 220/30/70 Meta-Physicist Nanomage - E / Spirals - 220/30/70 Enforcer Solitus - E / Kokusho - 201/22/55 Fixer Nanomage - Equip Soon ;o
    Traderbr - 180/0/0 Trader Nanomage - / Kaoru - 60/0/0 Meta-Physicist Nanomage - totw semitwink
    Proud veteran of Spartans

To devs: You failed redesigning MPs as NTs with pets. I want my debuffer back.
    Dreamer: Basically - I wish THIS much effort was put in to ALL profs rebalance docs.

Kintaii: Genele is more hardcore than you, your guildmates, and anyone else you've ever played with
    Anarrina: Trust me, I'm not that scary in real life.

I'm ecstatic about the new engine. Just the new lighting and shadows alone is worth it for me. It just needs time for optimization to improve frame rate now for a baseline release. Incremental updates to take advantage of the new engine can be rolled out... incrementally
    Joseph "Votary" Zodiac - RK1 Clan Atrox MP
    I can summon pies (now mochams infused!)

"Holy Mocham!" - Votary

Will there be a free month anytime in the future? Will there ever be lifetime subscriptions available? When is AO going to hit steam?
    New Engine - Announced: June 2007 ETA: Soon™ I'm speechless (June 2015)
    Rebalancing - Announced: January 2009 ETA: December 21, 2012 Started! (April 2015)
    New TL7 Pets - Announced: March 2009 ETA: Uh...
    AS Changes - Announced: July 2009 ETA: TBA
    Parry/Riposte - Announced: October 2009 ETA: ??? Did it! (April 2015)
    Perk Changes - Announced: October 2009 ETA: Right after server merge Started! (April 2015)
    Breed Change - Announced: November 2009 ETA: Hell freezing They did it!!! (Oct 2012)
    Beta Server - Announced: January 2010 ETA: Pigs Flying Did it! (Feb 2014)

Any plans to replace current GUI? Everyone uses dovvetech and hasfor years. Why not adopt it or redo the entire system or is that even possible with coding limits?

Quote Originally Posted by Michizure View Post
    Highest priority will be given to the current set of stability issues, as well as some of the larger visual issues. Beyond these priority fixes, there are plans to roll out visual enhancements. Specific details will be shared when there are visuals to show.
    On the subject of "Other visual enhancements", i know of atleast a dozen AO players who spend time elsewhere on the interwebs who are quite talented texture artists, animators and 3D artists who im sure would be willing to lend a hand replaceing any of the assets you'd like to see upgraded to take full advantage of features the new engine has to offer.
    I'd also hazard a guess that AO is a higher priority to those players than it is to FC, maybe you'd conssider a competion of some sort open to people who'd actualy like to contribute to the ongoing world of AO.
    Starting with somethign like a basic texture challenge for a building or random npc/mob and if the quality of entries meets the standard possibly, offering up something more intresting in the future.
    Quote Originally Posted by egadsrk2 View Post
    In the case of this little drama, Party A created a situation. Party B perpetuated it with name calling. Party A finished it with violence...
    I was "party A"

Last!

Good to see that issues in engine will BE looked at.
    Ekarona 220/30 Female Solitus Engineer, long term member of Northern Star and proper "poor" gimp.
    Ekaslave 220/low Female Solitus Trader, FLAT(TM) pricing TS, almost all can do!
    Ekaros almost there/almost there too Male Solitus Martial-Artist.
    Ekadv gimp/gimp Female Opifex Adventurer

It's weird to feel positive about where AO is going after the previous years of stagnation.

Weird, but good.

Thanks, Michi.
    :E

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast