Thread: Returning player

Returning player

I got an email as im sure many did about all the fancy new changes to AO recently , so i figured id hop back in .
    It's been about 3 years since last i ventured onto Rubi-ka , so i've elected to start a new character . I have all the expansion so im wondering whats good leveling gear to aim for for a trader ? (I have a few 150-185 characters i can use to pick up stuff if i need to )

what kind of weapons are good now ? what armor should i try to get into , any info would be helpful since it seems most of the stickied stuff is from pre 2010.

Quote Originally Posted by grimsdoc View Post
    I got an email as im sure many did about all the fancy new changes to AO recently , so i figured id hop back in .
    It's been about 3 years since last i ventured onto Rubi-ka , so i've elected to start a new character . I have all the expansion so im wondering whats good leveling gear to aim for for a trader ? (I have a few 150-185 characters i can use to pick up stuff if i need to )

what kind of weapons are good now ? what armor should i try to get into , any info would be helpful since it seems most of the stickied stuff is from pre 2010.
    I should probably get around to writing an updated guide...

Anyway!

Levelling gear for a Trader 2.0! (From level 1 to whatever level)

Weapons!

Shotguns:

2 Handed:

Illegally Modified Silverback (Great to start with)
    Murdulurgu (Now no longer NoDrop!)
    Kyr'ozch Shotgun - Typed if you can get hold of it.
    Turn-spirit Shotguns if you're really struggling.
    Special Edition Kyr'ozch Shotgun
    QL 300 OFAB Silverback MK6
    Salabim Shotguns
    Vektor ND Grand Wyrm

1 Handed:

Fine Smith Shattergun
    SD Home Defender
    Uncle Bazzit Diplomatic

Martial Arts:

Illegally Modified Boar
    Kyr'ozch Nunchako - Typed if you can.
    Dreadloch Shen Sticks

Armour!

Carbonum is always a solid choice.
    OFAB is a good stop-gap, it gives Shotgun and Evades/HP on most parts.
    Predator Armour is always nice.
    Miy's Nano/Ranged/Scary/Tank, always nice, good modifiers and decent requirements means you can put relatively high QLs on without much work.
    Goddess Armour (Basically Upgraded Pred, drops from the Dark Ruins instance in Adonis)
    By about 200ish you can probably twink your way into some QL300 Penultimate OFAB depending on your breed. This also includes the OFAB Back which has brilliant modifiers.
    Aim at endgame for some CSS/CM depending on your weapon route with OFAB/Dustbrigade stuff to supplement slots which need it.

Hope this helps
    Pricecuts - 220 Trader
    Feel free to contact me via PM or in-game.

Raggy - 220 Bureaucrat || Raggeh - 220 Fixer | Back as 'Raggys' - Shade for the time being. | Nuclei - 217 Nanotechnician || Nanobiology - 214 Doctor

Tip #743: As noted in Tip #244, tea bags have an infinite variety of uses. However, there's always one jerk who will want to give you crap over drinking tea. Particularly if in a new town, use this as an opportunity to assert yourself. Any drunken idiot can win a bar fight. It takes a real man to win a bar fight while enjoying a cup of Earl Grey.

Thanks for the reply , I'm guessing at low level there isnt much option for VP farming ? is there PvE missions i can do for it or is it only pvp battle station ?

Quote Originally Posted by grimsdoc View Post
    Thanks for the reply , I'm guessing at low level there isnt much option for VP farming ? is there PvE missions i can do for it or is it only pvp battle station ?
    If you goto the Antique Shop in Borealis and head into the basement, there is a guy called John Smith. He hands out a variety of 'PvP' missions, most notable of which sends you into BS.

Although, he does give you access to two other missions.

One requires to you to target a variety of Towers, which limits the chance of you getting into PvP by a large margin. The other sends you into the 'FFA' zone to kill 'Rogue Notum Miners'. This can lead to some PvP if someone else is there to kill the NPCs walking around.

But those are your options for low level VP that doesn't include BS.
    Pricecuts - 220 Trader
    Feel free to contact me via PM or in-game.

Raggy - 220 Bureaucrat || Raggeh - 220 Fixer | Back as 'Raggys' - Shade for the time being. | Nuclei - 217 Nanotechnician || Nanobiology - 214 Doctor

Tip #743: As noted in Tip #244, tea bags have an infinite variety of uses. However, there's always one jerk who will want to give you crap over drinking tea. Particularly if in a new town, use this as an opportunity to assert yourself. Any drunken idiot can win a bar fight. It takes a real man to win a bar fight while enjoying a cup of Earl Grey.

I'd never touch ofab armor on a leveling toon. By the time you've saved up for more than 1 piece, you've out-leveled all the other ones and need new stuff. It very quickly becomes much time intensive to farm the VPs needed to buy even a single pieve. Stay away from it until you can equip ql 300.

For a "poor" returning player, I'd really try out the "new" leveling armors. Both the Newcomer and Sundance armor from starter island levels all the way to 220 and offer some very nice buff. Mix and match with Living Cyber Armor (also free, from subway and some small quests) and you have a really nice set that can potentially last until endgame. The Living Cyber Armor even have the benefit of rising in ql as you level up, without the need to take it off. It offers hp and nano buffs at substantial levels all the way to ql 200.
    Why play melee when crat pets can do your job?
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyldebeast View Post
    Simple, why the melee hate?
    Quote Originally Posted by Means View Post
    ...Melee people/pets are needed...

The sundance armor levels ? didn't know that , the stuff i have on doesnt seem to . does it need a quest to modify it or something ?

Well, it did on test and I saw Michi mentioned that the newcomers armod leveled, so I just figures the Sundance armod did on Live as well. I haven't checked, my apologies if that part is incorrect. I better check the Living Cyber Armor as well, since that wasn't specifically mentioned either.

Edit: Just checked the Living Cyber Armor. It does indeed level up as you level. No need to take it off, it just sits there and gets better. I would definitely look into it as a new player/returnee.
    Last edited by wyldebeast; Apr 26th, 2015 at 13:16:02.
    Why play melee when crat pets can do your job?
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyldebeast View Post
    Simple, why the melee hate?
    Quote Originally Posted by Means View Post
    ...Melee people/pets are needed...