Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Monthly Development Update - January 2015 (The Calm)

Funcom employee Monthly Development Update - January 2015 (The Calm)

Hello everyone - I hope you have all had a nice January!

18.7 On The Horizon

The past several weeks have been devoted to making 18.7 ready to step back into the spotlight. The 18.7.0 patch will be one of the largest patches to drop in quite some time, with a list of changes that would rival a booster pack or expansion. Perhaps the largest two items to be delivered with this patch is an updated New Player Experience, as well as a round of profession rebalancing. This patch holds a lot of personal significance, as it represents efforts of many members of the AO development team, past and present; I still clearly remember the early planning meetings for the New Player Experience, and sitting through lengthy meetings regarding systems changes. Sentimentality aside, this will be a patch of considerable size and reach, which we are very eager to release onto Testlive. This is something I intend to see happen within the next couple of weeks.

As a note, the initial patch is mostly to collect the systems changes that have been performed since the last 18.7 Testlive patch and now, and making them available to be tested and reviewed. Changes to the New Player Experience, as well as some general changes on the to-do list, will not be present initially, but will hopefully arrive over the course of February.

With regards to the rebalance changes themselves, I will be open to criticism, and will expect a fair amount of feedback. We have started initiating a number of new Professionals, who I greatly look forward to working with, and I hope to fill some of the remaining vacancies once these changes start reaching Testlive. Once again, thank you to everyone who provided 18.7 feedback - Many of the modifications made were directly inspired by our Professionals and general feedback.

This round of systems changes will affect many breed/profession perks, profession nanos, and introduce some item changes to reflect some of the aforementioned perk/nano changes. I will leave the specifics of the changes to the Update Notes posts, to allow for the full extent of the changes to be viewed at once.

Many new and exciting changes are coming. Overall, this round of systems changes is a compilation of the original rebalance documents, changes made in the previous 18.7 version, and some long-term wish list requests. I look forward to unleashing this patch to the masses, and making 18.7 something that we all will enjoy and look forward to.

Valentine's Day

It is nearing that time of year again when everyone seems to turn heart-shaped and perhaps a shade of red or pink. Valentine's Day will be returning to Rubi-Ka starting mid-February, and will last until the start of March. Adrienne Lefebvre, Qi Qiao Jie, and a small cast of other familiar characters will be making their annual appearances. Also, all subscribing accounts will receive a free reward for logging in during this period of time - Be sure to claim it while you can!

Until Next Time...

That's all I have for now. Thank you all, congratulations to our new Professionals, and I hope to see you on Testlive once it has been patched up to 18.7.
    Henry "Michizure" Senger
    Lead Designer

Zomg

Can't wait to see how 18.7 looks now! This is going to be fun
    Last edited by Aiken; Jan 30th, 2015 at 14:28:41.
    One profession to RoO them all, one profession to proc stun them, one profession to calm them all and in the darkness Exp perk them!

Crataiken 220/30/70 General - Primal Evolution - 3rd AI 30 'Crat on RK 1 Setup
    Calms 220/30/70 General - Primal Evolution
    Medicaiken 220/30/70 General - Primal Evolution Setup
    Newen 220/30/70 President - The Galactic Milieu
    Mettagirl 220/20/** General - Primal Evolution
    Krataiken 150/18/40 General - Primal Evolution Setup

Can't wait to see the patch notes up and get testing about!

Keep up the awesomesauce!
    Michizure is love, Michizure is life.
    --
    Dywas - 220/30/70 Neutral Nanomage Nano-Technician
    Caramela - 220/30/70 Neutral Solitus Doctor
    Desejos - 220/30/?? Neutral Atrox Enforcer
    Gretchenross - 220/30/?? Neutral Opifex Shade
    Bizzle - 220/30/70 Neutral Atrox Soldier

--<3 Professional love--
    * Aiken pets Lazy on the head. Sure it is, you keep telling self that
    <Aiken> such a cutesy clammer aren't you *cheekpinch*
    <Lazy>
    <Lazy> viva la revolucion
    * Dywas decides to walk away from the soon-to-be sexytime
    <Aiken> lol Dywas, Id make a man of him
    <Lazy> Dywas, i'd go gay for aiken. no lie

+1 on both posters above!
    Starphoenix 220/30 Adventurer - Shesmine 220/30 Enforcer - Sgtcuddle 220/30 Soldier - Pervonen 220/27 Doctor - Startrade 218/30 Trader - Letter 200/30 Bureaucrat - Shiasurprise 199/20 Soldier - Envelope 150/17 Bureaucrat

18.7, the patch that will make some people lose their marbles.

220s "Wakizaka", "Sneakygank", "Wakimango", "Wakisolja", "Tardersauce", "Bushwaki", "Midgetgank", "Bugfixxx", "Ramsbottom", "Paskadoc"
    200s Chrisd, Malema, Delbaeth
    TL5s Youfail, Bugfixx, Riothamus, Johndee

Proud President of Haven | TL5 PvP

Michi doing big things. I can't wait!

Do want
    Darkempire 220/30/70 Agent
    {edited by Anarrina: see me if you have questions}
    When specifically asked for positive words, responding with a personal attack is incredibly rude and inappropriate. Please do not repeat such behavior.
    Quote Originally Posted by nums214 View Post
    If my wife never got preggo omni wouldn't have lost their fields. 2009 is pretty much when I quit.

Awesome! Looking forward to this!
    Ingame names;
    Slayertank 220 enf | Slayerbabe 200 adv | Mythic 175 mp
    Xziztenzia 180 doc | Loveleet 205 engie | Babita 175 crat
    Slayershade 59 shade | Savio 213 NT (main) | Anlor 201 mp
    Slayerfixer1 213 fixer | Bjirk 220 sold | Murder101 178 trader |

The end is nigh.
    Thor Mastablasta Hammersmith - Level 220, AI 30, LE 70 Clan Atrox Nano Technician - Setup
    The Red Brotherhood

I'm a Nano-Technician, don't ever expect me to fight unbuffed, alone or fair.

Means: about f'ing time :P
    Satenia: heresy <3
    Znore: Mastablasta <3
    Kinkstaah: I have agro from many mobs ;(
    Madarab: we are aoe class, we are supose to use pistols
    Marxgorm: the NT toolset does not fit into my raiding tactics

Ding!
    Niles73 220/30/70/s/p/(-and (preLE/Alba/DB)Guide) - Trox way => can't make life? Take life!
    Phoeniles 200/30/60 - reborn ranged opi adv!
    Nilose 220/30/68 /s - plays for team alt gear farm
    Nilbit 220/30/70 /s - parked gimptast
    Nilo 220/27/68 /solo pvm/pvp - parked DD

Duke Nukem Forever is out.. now what?

Great work! Still no news from engine, have you stopped developing it completely?

Quote Originally Posted by Michizure View Post
    Hello everyone - I hope you have all had a nice January!

18.7 On The Horizon

The past several weeks have been devoted to making 18.7 ready to step back into the spotlight. The 18.7.0 patch will be one of the largest patches to drop in quite some time, with a list of changes that would rival a booster pack or expansion. Perhaps the largest two items to be delivered with this patch is an updated New Player Experience, as well as a round of profession rebalancing.

Can someone explain what "New Player Experienced" refers to?
    If you don't like it, quit.
    If you're staying, stop bitching about it and help.
    If you don't wanna help, at least don't hurt it.

Essentially it's a new backyard but that will also negate the need for the SL backyard for Shades and Keepers.
    [[ RYUAHN | 220/21 Opifex Trader
    == Proud Member of Core ==
    [[ ALASTROPHE | 220/15 Solitus Martial-Artist

Quote Originally Posted by Raggy View Post
    There is literally nothing wrong with {Shutdown Skills} in it's current incarnation. What should be being looked at is the reason why it's needed so much. E.g, the incredible amount of Alpha being thrown around and the fickleness of Evade profs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cratertina View Post
    I walk in to BS... could not perk people... with 3704 AR and 300 AAD drain... NT facerolled me, shade instagibbed me, after a few minutes I just decided not gonna bother.

Quote Originally Posted by Discipline View Post
    Can someone explain what "New Player Experienced" refers to?
    Newbie Island will be removed, the NPE is a new starter area. You can go to ICC today and look at the construction
    Darkempire 220/30/70 Agent
    {edited by Anarrina: see me if you have questions}
    When specifically asked for positive words, responding with a personal attack is incredibly rude and inappropriate. Please do not repeat such behavior.
    Quote Originally Posted by nums214 View Post
    If my wife never got preggo omni wouldn't have lost their fields. 2009 is pretty much when I quit.

Ill believe it when I see it
    Toyhazard 220/30/70 Engie
    Dwix 220/30/70 Fix
    Deathwalkerz 220/30/70 Advie
    Deathsrow 170/24/42 Advie
    Rowsofdeath 161/22/42 Fix
    Buckket 118/11 Agent
    Lemonparty 85/9 Tard
    Quote Originally Posted by Means View Post
    I can't code in better leadership for the Clan faction.

Ah it's already that time of the month ^_=
    "Don't think...feel, it's like a finger pointing towards the moon"

One question though. If we were to, right now, make 220s on TL in preparation for testing 18.7 will they still be there once the patch hits testlive, or will there be a wipe beforehand?

There is literally nothing wrong with {Shutdown Skills} in it's current incarnation. What should be being looked at is the reason why it's needed so much. E.g, the incredible amount of Alpha being thrown around and the fickleness of Evade profs.
    I walk in to BS... could not perk people... with 3704 AR and 300 AAD drain... NT facerolled me, shade instagibbed me, after a few minutes I just decided not gonna bother.

So, does 18.7 come with the new engine? Or is it now just the NPE, etc? I didn't see any engine mentions in the post, but maybe I'm just blind and/or stupid.

Funcom employee

Quote Originally Posted by Saetos View Post
    One question though. If we were to, right now, make 220s on TL in preparation for testing 18.7 will they still be there once the patch hits testlive, or will there be a wipe beforehand?
    The character will still be there after the patch. We don't have any Testlive character wipes planned.
    Henry "Michizure" Senger
    Lead Designer

Fantastic! Been a bit since I've fooled around on there, being able to test 18.7 would be wonderful to do. Thanks.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast