Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Soju's Multiboxing Guide

I think multiboxing is a symptom of a dwindling population. If all the multiboxers were banned I am quite sure it will still be just as hard to make teams for anything because the fact is there just is not enough people playing any more. And most will continue to do content within in their org or friends list.

If the population was as it were 5 - 8 years ago multiboxing would not be a problem. FC has done an appalling job maintaining this game in the last 8 years. LE and Xan additions were far to small and any content added after that is not enough to keep people interested for such a long period.

The problem of multiboxing falls on FC shoulders. they are the ones that have made the game not as desirable as other offering in the market, failed to keep content fresh and interesting. The Engine update was a massive let down for most and far to late in coming as well as the amount of time it has taken to get a few class overhauls.

Like it was said before in this thread banning multiboxers just means a few less players. I have not heard one person say the have quit because of multiboxers, pretty much all have quit because they are bored. I will concede that they have stated they won't PvP because of multiboxers though.
    Last edited by Squirrelgrip; Apr 8th, 2016 at 14:20:01.

One non-technical remedy to mb in pvm would be to make instances very hard to MB, eg the PoH type / DB3 tricks where random players get Rust or need to run somewhere. Maybe I'm mistaken but I don't think PoH can be completed with 1 MB team?
    Do the same for Beast, TNH, 12m or maybe even inf team missions and you'll make it a lot harder for the casual MB'er to do anything alone.
    This won't avoid PvP imbalance of course, that's much more difficult to solve...
    Ventor: lvl 220 PVP-Engi (RK-2)...
    Edenbeast: lvl 129 adv
    Linchpin: lvl 32 agent
    Innerspirit: lvl 136 doc
    Trifixion: lvl 1 trader (froob transfer acct)

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowforcee View Post
    Now that people multibox it completely eliminates the need of a second, third, or fourth person to do raid content. Now people who do not multibox have less people to do content with.
    Im calling shenanigans, you are still talking about 1 person. Even if you are talking about 2 people who MB, they still WOULD NOT BE TEAMING WITH YOU. They would just each dual log or grab their experienced friends that they give free MB loot rights to anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Squirrelgrip View Post
    I think multiboxing is a symptom of a dwindling population. If all the multiboxers were banned I am quite sure it will still be just as hard to make teams for anything because the fact is there just is not enough people playing any more.
    THIS is the point some folks don't want to acknowledge. Trying to ban MB would realistically just get rid maybe 10-20 people server wide that seriously MB. Those 10-20 people would not be making teams with you anyway because they already have the loot they want/need and only do it to make credits in pvm. So the only thing you are doing is cutting off your nose to spite your face. Saying MB has ANY effect on YOU getting teams for anything is rubbish. Its unfortunate that some have trouble finding 5 other people to team with.

If you already cant get a team to do content because of population, at least you can still get the endgame gear through lootrights because of MB.

Here is a great example for you, db2 armor, I would bet the ONLY "teams" that do it are orgmates/friends for alts. You won't find a lft group for it maybe once a month lol. So those db sleeves that used to be 100m EACH now are sold for 5-10m because of MB.
    ~Anyone can level, but only the wise gain experience~

*Bronto Burger, serving 10,000 high level noobs daily*

http://wolf-brigade.webs.com/

My Story

Don't feed the Mensa Tralalalala

Everyday I'm Shuffling.

Quote Originally Posted by Psikie View Post
    Im calling shenanigans, you are still talking about 1 person. Even if you are talking about 2 people who MB, they still WOULD NOT BE TEAMING WITH YOU. They would just each dual log or grab their experienced friends that they give free MB loot rights to anyway.
    That's exactly what I was saying. Multiboxers do not need to bring their experienced friends because they can do it solo. That's literally the exact thing I said. It matters not if they team with me or someone else. Personally I have no issues finding team, but I know others that do. When it comes to lootrights it is also much harder for a group of people to compete against a multiboxer. A mulitboxer will not have to share the credits he earns with anyone, but a team would have to split it two, three, or even perhaps four ways. Therefore there are less teams forming because the profit per person is minimal compared to what a multiboxer can earn. The other effect of this is that people do not actually want to do content themselves, because they can just buy the lootrights from a multiboxer. On a broader scale there is just less teams because of multiboxing, and arguing against that is just silly.

So many threads where people cry about multiboxing being the problem.. The problem isn't multiboxing at all.. The problem is that FC made evrything instanced.. If only they kept it like in the old days where beast, apf's and cities etc. weren't instanced.. Then communities might still excist and people would be forced to work together.. But then again I'd bet that there would be people crying about that.. Just accept stuff how it is and move on.. It's a game enjoy it..

Caloss2 wins this thread. Multiboxing is a cancer that's hastening the game's death.

Do you run your AO client from 1 directory/installation or from multiple copies?

Please describe.

PS
    Asking Funcom to ban multiboxing is like asking a pub owner to boot out any customer who never looks up from their fondel slabs and avoids eye contact with other customers. Mutiboxing is a natural Transhumanist progression. The haters just cannot resist a good witch hunt as they have no facts or other objectified data to support their rants.
    Babacratus
    - Clan Nano/Bureaucrat - Stumblin and Bumblin, he just might go all the way!

You're best off making at least one copy of the game folder somewhere else. This allows you to run smaller windows with a completely different set of prefs, which can be heavily customized. Then, you have your "main" prefs if you launch the original, or "multibox" prefs if you launch the copy.
    Vinkera - Soli NT - 426k DPM - Setup
    Robbey - Soli Crat

Lone anarchists - Tower of Babil

Celez - Soli Doc
    Loaloa - Soli Enf
    Wondershot - Nano Soldier
    Robzor - Soli Engi
    Proserpexa - Opi Agent

Trying out civilization - Storm

here is a 6 box script I put together if anyone wants a, IMHO, solid starting point with hotkeynet.

http://pastebin.com/6XA5rcEz

First it's true that is a thread about a guide to MB. Just like a guide to a raid or a certain prof whatever. BUT and that's a big BUT i absolutely don't understand the reasons why people use a third party program (which usually is a banning reason in every other multiplayer game there is) to solo raids/bosses and so on. The only reason i do understand is cred making and if you MBing guys are honest to yourself that is the absolute most viable and true reason you can explain why you are MBing. Every other reason is a total lie to yourself and to the other people. I'm not trying to insult anyone here as i don't care if people MB. Just get the point that you are playing a MULTI player game and not a solo player game. Isn't failing raids cause you have new people with you or whiping at Collector cause some failed kicking in time or something like that the fun that specifies playing a multiplayer game? Isn't the fact that you need more than 2 people to complete raids the reason to play a multi player game? Why do you even play a multiplayer game when all you do is soloing content just cause it's allowed? Doesn't make any sense at all.
    Oh and btw leeching at kite hill and MBing is totally different, leeching doesn't involve a third party program. Leeching is and was never a bannable reason in any other MMOs i played. The only punishment you can get for leeching was getting kicked from party. All there is to it. But MBing involes a third party program and that is the reason why it should be bannable. No one would care if you just multi log a few accounts and control the characters by alt+tabing. The fact that you don't have to alt+tab to control the characters is what should be punished in any case.

Quote Originally Posted by Belz View Post
    But MBing involes a third party program and that is the reason why it should be bannable. No one would care if you just multi log a few accounts and control the characters by alt+tabing. The fact that you don't have to alt+tab to control the characters is what should be punished in any case.
    Oh the hate I'll get for pointing this out, but there is technically no difference between "multiboxing" and "multi-logging". The use of external software doesn't differentiate the term. It just allows people to feel like they don't associate with a term that seems generally demeaning here.

If you're multiboxing without software, your basic intentions are still the same as someone who does. Use multiple toons to accomplish the same goal you couldn't do with one as quickly, easily or at all.

However, the use of software (specifically Hotkey Net) isn't some magical way to end up with 6 fully functional toons. Soju's script is pretty good, but leaves out most functionality of the other toons, because there's no way he could plan that out for someone else's setup. Adding in just the ability for all to buff at the same time is challenging, never mind executing specific actions at specific times on specific toons. Clearly, this presents its own huge challenge, and one that's not often considered.

But, not all software is built the same. Hotkey Net is fine, some others are borderline exploits. One myth we can clear up, is multiboxing and using tab in PVP doesn't work. I've tested the consistency of 6 toons just returning the same target with tab in various places, and its almost never 100% if there's even another tabbable player or npc around. Returning the same player target for a multiboxer is done by other means, which should be stopped.

But, if we look at other software like Multibox Helper, it's not even in the same league as Hotkey Net. Many have described seeing toons "moving as one". "Moving as one" is nearly impossible with Hotkey Net, if not. Toons move at different speed, turn at different speed, and generally run off if not just following the leader toon (but sometimes still do anyway). Multibox Helper uses different methods to synchronize toon movements and actions. This can be witnessed if you watch closely enough if someone uses Clarion Call on a MB Helper multiboxer. You may see their toon simply warp back to them if it survives (sort of like a pet warp), not run back to the leader like they would with Hotkey Net. These are some of the obvious differences, but under the hood are many more. Users of MB Helper have resorted to mimicking a user of Hotkey Net, since MB Helper may or may not be considered an exploit, but has resulted in bans in the past I believe. They set the following toon position behind the leader, instead of directly on top of him to mimic following toons and no longer appear to "move as one". In case anyone was wondering, this means the suggestions of not allowing /follow in low gas zones would not affect MB Helper multiboxers.

My point is, simply saying multiboxing is bad and should be banned is a board, uninformed, impractical statement. But, I believe the differences between methods are poorly understood by the community. You can't simply say "Ban Multiboxing!!!" because it's somewhat of an umbrella term. It would have to affect those who use MB helper down to those who use no software at all, PVM and PVP, which is virtually everyone. Obviously, that's a huge gamble for Funcom that they're clearly not willing to take.

Instead, the more malicious methods of multiboxing, like MB Helper and the alternative "assist" should be targeted for bans. These methods were made specifically to have a huge advantage over everyone else in PVP, even Hotkey Net multiboxers. I'd say that's worked pretty well. Most of the complaints on the forums regarding PVP sound a lot like MB Helper, rather than Hotkey Net.
    Robbey - Soli Crat

Celez - Soli Doc
    Loaloa - Soli Enf
    Robzor - Soli Engi
    Proserpexa - Opi Agent

Are you using the old or new client. I found resizing windows with either Hotkey or Shift Win with the new client will not work for me, so I have to use the old client.
    Thanks, for the script, gave me a number of ideas on how to improve my own.
    Babacratus
    - Clan Nano/Bureaucrat - Stumblin and Bumblin, he just might go all the way!

@Vinkera so alt+tabing and executing nanos, skills etc.. is no difference than pressing 1 button for 6 toons? I think there is a difference and a big one too, as is takes much longer to tab through 6 toons and use their stuff than pressing 1 button to let them use their skills at once. That and only that is the reason why it should be banned, clearly that fact that you don't have to alt+tab is the reason MBing should be punished.
    Sure the goal you want to achieve is the same but with alt+tabing something might go wrong.
    For example I usually dual log to level up my small toon as you can hardly find teams for inf mishs at around 160. It happened a few times to me that while i was moving my small toon to use the lift, my other toon died in the time especially in an inf hard with 2 omni spiders at once. As I said no one would care if you multi log 6 accounts and control the toons manually by alt+tabbing. That imo is completly legit cause it's fair and there might go something wrong while you're on another toon. I doubt this is gonna happen when using that Hotkey Net or MB Helper or whatever. The use of the third party program is what i am talking about not the multi logging.
    Last edited by Belz; Aug 11th, 2016 at 14:30:42.

Some might remember the day when you would be banned for just logging somebody else's account... Happened to friends of mine and I some times, since we would play our partners'/friends' toons, not even multilogged. We just ended up giving the same personnal settings to both couples' accounts, and poof, we were legit. Absolutely stupid, but not against the EULA. FC wouldn't ban 3rd party progs, and it's one of a dead good point to them, since without Clicksaver AO wouldn't have been the same.

There's fair use of the EULA, and abuse. Lots of people use Hotkey, and none of them would be able to have toons run/move/act at the same pace without some tricks (and pets never going idle state or whatever). It's just a nice way to do things you wouldn't do either, would it be a matter of time, power, numbers.

MBing had an impact on pvp, where pvp is the base of the game since it motivates the whole pve chain and economy. It has and never will have impact on pve, negative impact, precisely because pve content is instanced. Oh yes, it's hard to gather people since so few still play BECAUSE of MBers...

You can't gather people since SL or almost, as SL had no valid team/raid content, but highbies chain killing bosses to appropriate the loot and money, and by the time it had some the game was already dead, and always polluted by stupids only asking for top DDs and such holy trinity. Those same stupids keeping people out of the GAME led to MBing, and the stupid NW rules. FC ruined their own game, it's a miracle AO still runs after 15 years, a miracle so many people sign for 1 year, but I lack the word for Nerf (prof) ! / Ban MBing bullcraps still going on whatever.

VERY good point Vink, as usual. You know only a poor share of people are willing or able to accept your explanation, but for once nobody could "proove" you wrong.
    220/70/30 OpiFix - Useless PVM Ex RK Queen
    220/80/30 TroxDoc - Alpha Brain @soon !
    220/80/30 SoliEngi - TSing everything
    220/70/30 SoliTrader - MA >>>> Shottie
    220/80/30 Crat - Why the hell do other profs still exist ?

And tons of alts !

And there in lies the problem.

If the community doesn't fully understand or agree on what multiboxing actually is, how can anyone expect to ever see anything change?

I'm glad you touched on the economic impact PVM multiboxing has, because I didn't get that far. But, reducing the availability of gear for PVPers would certainly impact the economy. I'd suspect gear prices would double, based on my experience selling lootrights during the anniversary free week, when population nearly doubled. Even the multiboxers could not keep up with the demand for gear during that time. If you suddenly take away the game's supply of gear, what happens?

At the very least, it throws a huge wrench in the engine of selling GRACE to multiboxers to buy gear from multiboxers. Would everyone go back to farming their own the slow, old-fashioned way, or just quit?

I know some orgs and raid bots have restrictions to looting on alts, and I think that's absurd. Also, some raids allow selling, and there's nothing more infuriating than having someone win what you're trying to get, and selling it to someone else. Buying lootrights removes that time and frustration, which is probably why people do it. Ironically, I don't agree with buying lootrights either, but the market that developed around it can't really be scoffed at, as billions of credits change hands every day as a result of it. It even results in higher revenue for Funcom, since GRACE is equivalent to a month to month subscription, and no one would use month to month without the intention of just using GRACE.
    Robbey - Soli Crat

Celez - Soli Doc
    Loaloa - Soli Enf
    Robzor - Soli Engi
    Proserpexa - Opi Agent

Quote Originally Posted by Babacratus View Post
    Are you using the old or new client. I found resizing windows with either Hotkey or Shift Win with the new client will not work for me, so I have to use the old client.
    Thanks, for the script, gave me a number of ideas on how to improve my own.
    Old client, new client is way to unstable. The only fancy thing is the window swapping, it messes up from time to time (doesn't bring the full window into view) but clicking again will usually fix it.

Yea, that script looks real good. A bit more fancy than mine, I admit ;p

New vs Old client... Definitely old. New is not efficient/stable enough to risk trying.
    Robbey - Soli Crat

Celez - Soli Doc
    Loaloa - Soli Enf
    Robzor - Soli Engi
    Proserpexa - Opi Agent

Quote Originally Posted by Vinkera View Post
    Oh the hate I'll get for pointing this out, but there is technically no difference between "multiboxing" and "multi-logging". The use of external software doesn't differentiate the term. It just allows people to feel like they don't associate with a term that seems generally demeaning here.
    Multi-logging requires no third party software. Multiboxing requires a third party program to broadcast keystrokes.

You'll also notice another difference why they are not the same and should not be treated the same: Multi-logging is not game breaking, multiboxing is.

Quote Originally Posted by Vinkera View Post
    But, reducing the availability of gear for PVPers would certainly impact the economy. [...] If you suddenly take away the game's supply of gear, what happens?
    C'mon now. Don't try and paint yourself as some god-send to PvP'ers because otherwise they wouldn't be able to get geared. I'm in an org with a solid core of only a handful of people and we do everything PvM related in the game except Sec42. And guess what, people who don't multibox sell gear from instances and share the profits also. Multiboxers bring absolutely nothing to the table except greed and broken PvP.
    Last edited by Avari; Aug 12th, 2016 at 09:54:32.
    Avari 220/30/80 - Araghos 220/30/80 - Shishido 220/30/7x - Araninn 220/30/80

Quote Originally Posted by Tergx
    If one of the few traders are PvPing around you and land GTH on you, take a trip to decon and it will be gone. What's the big deal hehe.

Quote Originally Posted by Avari View Post
    Multi-logging requires no third party software. Multiboxing requires a third party program to broadcast keystrokes.
    You'll have to argue with the internet / a dictionary on that one, the definition isn't mine. "Multilogging" is just a synonym for multiboxing.

"Multiboxing refers to playing as multiple separate characters concurrently in an MMORPGs. This can either be achieved by using multiple separate machines to run the game or by running multiple separate instances of the game. Multiboxing might be considered a form of cheating. Multiboxing is considered to be difficult to do well without practice, as it involves adapting to problems in real-time."

Besides, if someone brings multiple toons to tower war, let's say with no software, is that fair? I don't think so, as it's following the same basic intentions of all multiboxing which is using multiple toons to accomplish the same goal a single one couldn't do as easily, fast or at all. In this case, to gain a direct advantage over other players.

Quote Originally Posted by Avari View Post
    C'mon now. Don't try and paint yourself as some god-send to PvP'ers because otherwise they wouldn't be able to get geared. I'm in an org with a solid core of only a handful of people and we do everything PvM related in the game except Sec42. And guess what, people who don't multibox sell gear from instances and share the profits also. Multiboxers bring absolutely nothing to the table except greed and broken PvP.
    Greed fuels innovation, and multiboxers keep gear prices low by flooding the market with supply. (which is the part of my post you conveniently left out.) Not only does that lower the price of lootrights, but also the price of GRACE through higher supply. The reality is, PVM multiboxing doesn't affect anyone outside of your prices on the GMI being overall lower as a result.

I'm glad you disagree with everything I say, because that's my whole point. I've read the multiple suggestions brought up by the community to discourage multiboxing, and they simply will not work. This is because of a fundamental misunderstanding by the community of what multiboxing actually is, and the various ways it actually works.

You can't just say ban it because it affects everyone, is not practical for the game's remaining man power to enforce, and directly affects Funcom's bottom line through less sales of GRACE and loss of multiple accounts from individual players. However, what IS possible to do something about, is the "assist" functions developed as an alternative to the /assist macro and Multibox Helper, which are malicious tools designed specifically for huge advantages in tower PVP.

Those are what the community *should* be fighting against, since they're both, in my opinion, exploiting, botting, and malicious tools who's whole concept is gaining advantages over other players.
    Robbey - Soli Crat

Celez - Soli Doc
    Loaloa - Soli Enf
    Robzor - Soli Engi
    Proserpexa - Opi Agent

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast