Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New interview with the head dude.

"I don't think there is any particular lack of content in Anarchy Online, so it makes sense to get the experience of playing the game to the best possible state."

New experience to bring them in. Old outdated content to push them away

I think he ment more that the new experience need work more. If you are a fresh New player there is a lot of stuff to do that would all be new to them. Granted yes the stuff is due for an overhaul, but it's there.

Quote Originally Posted by darknightt View Post
    "I don't think there is any particular lack of content in Anarchy Online, so it makes sense to get the experience of playing the game to the best possible state."

New experience to bring them in. Old outdated content to push them away
    You are aware that for a truly new player, all this 'outdated content' would be brand new & perhaps even exciting for them? Take off the jaded specs & try to get a little more perspective, it'll help.
    One profession to RoO them all, one profession to proc stun them, one profession to calm them all and in the darkness Exp perk them!

Crataiken 220/30/70 General - Primal Evolution - 3rd AI 30 'Crat on RK 1 Setup
    Calms 220/30/70 General - Primal Evolution
    Medicaiken 220/30/70 General - Primal Evolution Setup
    Newen 220/30/70 President - The Galactic Milieu
    Mettagirl 220/20/** General - Primal Evolution
    Krataiken 150/18/40 General - Primal Evolution Setup

Quote Originally Posted by Aiken View Post
    You are aware that for a truly new player, all this 'outdated content' would be brand new & perhaps even exciting for them? Take off the jaded specs & try to get a little more perspective, it'll help.
    So screw the existing players.. Lets hope new people like the old stuff for 6 more years?
    AO hasn't seen an expansion since 2006.....

New players? lolz

Quote Originally Posted by swirling-dog View Post
    New players? lolz
    Iv met a few brand new players in game since iv been back. They do exist

So screw the existing players.. Lets hope new people like the old stuff for 6 more years?
    Legacy of Xan was released in 2009.

What this game is needing is new blood, so its existing content that needs polished to make it more available to new players.
    I totally agree on his view on that.
    "Should start a combined raid/NW bot, where people get points if they help take down a clan base. Should be most effective." - Said by Waikase 14th of May 2003 in sarcasm to the appearance of the first raidbots on Rk1.

I introduced this game to at least 30 people I knew; peeps who liked playing games. None of them are still playing AO. It's just too hard in the beginning. So FC has to fix that. And do a lot about stupid things players ( like me) don't like, but who are to old to change to another game :-) Anyone at FC noticed new games charging +/- nothing ? Only in game things ? I don't want to think about the 11 years of subscription I payed... O and don't let me pay to get my 16 chars in 1 server btw.

Change the GUI! Horrid looking compared to other games.
    Make the tiny toolbar STANDARD ENABLED.
    Change the mission/quest NPC talk windows, the wall of text move too fast and can be overwhelming for new players.

Killing tiny birds in the start of the game makes people laugh.

just a few cents :P
    Carmilla - 210 Shade
    Zerosnake - 220 Agent

"It's a lot of work and responsibility and no doubt I am going to get yelled at by three different fanbases."

I bet, respect for this man.

Question:
    How do they want to keep the game attractive when the servers go down at least once a day?

Quote Originally Posted by Aiken View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Noer View Post
    What this game is needing is new blood, so its existing content that needs polished to make it more available to new players.
    I totally agree on his view on that.
    ^ What these people said. I'm actually relieved to see the attitude he's taking.

Quote Originally Posted by Tradoroz View Post
    "It's a lot of work and responsibility and no doubt I am going to get yelled at by three different fanbases."

I bet, respect for this man.
    ^ Also this.
    :E

He didn't say anything new about AO that we dont know and that has been told to us for the past 1-2 years. Engine/starter around the same time, balance sometime down the road, then maybe another booster. But since we already know that the engine and starter are close to being done hes riding the coat tails of "yeah I totally oversaw this and totally brought it to light, I am soooo awesome".

I really see AO on the bottom of the totem pole as priority is concerned. Next booster probably 2016 and balance in 2015. Its absurd really. All these changes are/will take as long as it did the engine to be created, nearly a freaking decade. His mention of getting all 3 MMOs in step will probably equate to TSW seeing its promised regular content updates (which is what, 3 months?), AOC seeing 1-2 updates a year and AO seeing something new every 2-4 years.

He is just a newb about AO and probably wont do much with it other than what people may suggest. Yay for newbs!

Quote Originally Posted by MachSchau View Post
    He didn't say anything new about AO that we dont know and that has been told to us for the past 1-2 years. Engine/starter around the same time, balance sometime down the road, then maybe another booster. But since we already know that the engine and starter are close to being done hes riding the coat tails of "yeah I totally oversaw this and totally brought it to light, I am soooo awesome".

I really see AO on the bottom of the totem pole as priority is concerned. Next booster probably 2016 and balance in 2015. Its absurd really. All these changes are/will take as long as it did the engine to be created, nearly a freaking decade. His mention of getting all 3 MMOs in step will probably equate to TSW seeing its promised regular content updates (which is what, 3 months?), AOC seeing 1-2 updates a year and AO seeing something new every 2-4 years.
    I have to disagree with what you just said. I prefer to think that AO has really had 2 serious directors and the rest have been like placeholders. Perhaps the new guy will surprise us all with his consolidated team.
    ~Anyone can level, but only the wise gain experience~

*Bronto Burger, serving 10,000 high level noobs daily*

http://wolf-brigade.webs.com/

My Story

Don't feed the Mensa Tralalalala

Everyday I'm Shuffling.

They hate adding new content to this game I see. They just want new blood nothing for us old folks. And in fact from my experience they will just ruin it for us and the population will die more.

Quote Originally Posted by Noer View Post
    Legacy of Xan was released in 2009.
    LoX wasn't an expansion, it was just a booster geared toward end game toons. Expansions bring more content. There is a HUGE gap between the start up experience and end game toons that need more.
    Last edited by darknightt; Mar 8th, 2013 at 05:04:36.

Quote Originally Posted by Kane-Hart View Post
    They hate adding new content to this game I see. They just want new blood nothing for us old folks. And in fact from my experience they will just ruin it for us and the population will die more.
    You know veteran retention means almost nothing if you can't bring in new players.

It doesn't matter how damn good your retention is, you're going to lose most of them eventually regardless.
    Dagger 220/30/70 Shade // Attempted 219/24/?? Enforcer // Canidae 180/0/0 Adventurer // World 185/26/32 Meta-Physicist// Cramp 150/20/35 Engineer
    Ya wanna fix something - give RK mobs better xp, make RK matter again.

Quote Originally Posted by Mamman View Post
    Give shades love or we will stop buffing people!!

Well, if they get 10000 new players from steam and polish, then who cares about old players? the MMO business model revolves around people coming and going constantly. It stagnates to the current level of whining when that carousel stops moving.
    Thor Mastablasta Hammersmith - Level 220, AI 30, LE 70 Clan Atrox Nano Technician - Setup
    The Red Brotherhood

I'm a Nano-Technician, don't ever expect me to fight unbuffed, alone or fair.

Means: about f'ing time :P
    Satenia: heresy <3
    Znore: Mastablasta <3
    Kinkstaah: I have agro from many mobs ;(
    Madarab: we are aoe class, we are supose to use pistols
    Marxgorm: the NT toolset does not fit into my raiding tactics

Quote Originally Posted by Mastablasta View Post
    Well, if they get 10000 new players from steam and polish, then who cares about old players? the MMO business model revolves around people coming and going constantly. It stagnates to the current level of whining when that carousel stops moving.
    This is sad but so true, I always will speak up and say how companies are crooks. Downside AO never made it big like they wanted it to. But every MMORPG that has ever made it big or started at a good rate and went up actually drops in content updates. WoW of course is the best example but even the Eve-Online players are now noticing with their recent hit to 500k subs.

I guess in my heart I would love to see AO with tens of thousands of new players.

But at the end of the day I really hope they also focus on their only remaining players. Not a lot of them floating around with 2012 and 2013 signup dates.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast