PvP Titles

Here are the bad and good point of these

Good
    Something to do and work towards other than leveling
    Make you look good
    let people know what they are letting themselves in for

Bad
    discourages fighting
    People farm them (not all that bad really)
    People whine about pvp points
    encourages ganking in places like tir arena
    lets people know what they are letting themselves in for (i know i said that twice)

So obviously getting rid of them would be a bad idea because a lot of people would quickly get bored of the game, but keeping them isnt going todo much good either.

So i suggest they are kept but once points are gained they cannot be lost, so people could fight without fear of losing there title. Obviously the title range would have to be increased dramatically (so its no longer a few easy kills to get freshman, instead it takes quite a few kills and rookie takes an awful lot more.

Thats my idea anyway, i cant really see any major holes in it (wouldnt fix title farimng tho)
    Witeboog - Soldier RK2
    First to Pandemonium on RK2
    First into IS on RK2
    First into TOTW on RK2 First to 220 on RK2
    First to form an org on RK2 First to 200 on RK2
    First soldier with ql 200 Spasmodic Assault Rifle
    First omni on RK2 First post on forums
    First Grand Master on RK2
    First to PvP on RK2
    First to solo The Beast on RK2

i do not think it would fix farming

if you can get titles the same means as of today and not need to fear about ever losing them, how does that discourage people from keelin lowbies?

pvp in ao is fubar and the titles mean ... umm not much?

i would like to see them gone so these arrogant jerks ala agent foxter shut the frell up.

i have seen those guys in other online games as well, they think that by subscribing to pk and assaulting others - using lame tactics they are elevated into an elite cadre of players.

fact is that level and equipment beat skill in a mmorpg.

fact is that some people (like umm me) are not interested in and do not agree that pvp is the end of all in a mmorpg.

people who flaunt titles gained through farming and ganking are just a tiny step above thieves and that only because they are good for laughs which thieves are not.

team pvp titles would mean something but solo *shrug*
    sept 03 - the day ao was keeled by sl.

gone now. byebye.

dont get me wrong, but im sure you wouldnt be saying that if youd just got yur neophyte title and just by the fact that it annoys you to see people showing them off proves that you are jelous (personally i dont really care about em because i enjoy fighting more than titles, but id like to enjoy both really)
    Witeboog - Soldier RK2
    First into IS on RK2
    First to PvP on RK2

err nope

i am not jealous i am just p***ed off to no end by elitist attitudes so very common in mmorpgs.

all this i play since beta or i am lvl 170 you are not therefore your opinions show you got no clue people i mean here.

you should check the thread make tms 10 seconds to cast by agent foxter (or something like that) to get an example of what i mean.

gone now. byebye.

Hmm.. you wish to have changes made so you can't lose a title once you got it? Now that is an invite to a PvP griever if I ever saw one. Anyone out to hoard those PvP titles would't think twice about who they attacked. Seeing that they would not lose a damn thing if they lost the fight, they would go after anyone within striking distance. Keeping it so they can lose the title if they lose the fight, means that some are more careful as to whom they attack. Not all tho, as my knowledge of most of the PvP title hoarders are twinked beyond comprehension.

I say, add the same level range as there is in teaming for PvP fights. so those level 75'ers dont have to get instakilled by a level 200 who gets all wet over a title ganks them.

Better yet. Make the PvP battles be in the range of +/- 10% of your level or so. Makes for somewhat more even fights

As you might have guessed, I am not into any PvP battle at all. I find it boring, no gain, no fun, not even worth the bullets I fire or the nano's I spend.
    General Thoram of the Twin Sun Syndicate

It would be better just to lose them. The #1 reason people won't step more than 3m from a zone in a place like 2ho is PVP titles. The #1 reason people refuse to go to trasque, PVP titles. The #1 reason dueling at the arena is so lame, PVP titles. They are one of the biggest reasons people play like cowards.

If I see someone with a title it means zippo to me. If I come to respect someone in PVP it's not the name over their head, it's their tactics and abilities in the zone that form that opinion.

bravo!

just get rid of the titles and implement additional steps between 75 and 200.

if somebody wants to pvp that is a ok.

a team based pvp would be interesting - it might also dampen all these nerf criers who want every profession to have equal chances in pvp if it is less of a duel and more of a team effort.

we have people hugging zones, jumping into walls, terminating when losing, ganking and using all kinds of cheesy tactics.

you have people who are not big into pvp and get into that once and forever after stay away from the big mess ao pvp is.

hope is that the big egos that need big titles stay away from pvp once the titles are gone since there is nothing they can flaunt running around town near their name anymore.

the towers will put an emphasis on team oriented pvp anyway so why not?

gone now. byebye.

i used to agree that getting rid of em was good because i wasnt that fond of em either, but then i saw other peoples posts about how they were really angry that titles were getting taken away after they had just spent months getting thei neophyte title or something. So you have to look at it both ways, also the dude who doesnt even pvp at all you cant really comment that much, and when you said anyone would be attacking anyone because they wouldnt fear death is exactly what im after. There is supposed to be a war on and in a war people attack the opposition reardless of how good thgey are. I cannot see any problems at all with this, and as long as they greatly increase the amount of points needed to gain each title then the game will be ok, because you would have to fight an awful lot of fights to get a new title.
    Witeboog - Soldier RK2
    First into IS on RK2
    First to PvP on RK2

but your logic has a flaw

if there is a title to be gained then people will strive to pharm this title asap.

simply because it is there.

if there are no pvp titles then imo 2 things happen:

a) this stupid my profession can beat your profession crap gets lessened. it will not stop nerf criers but it should tune them down a bit.
    the idea that any profession should be able to kill any other profession is silly anyway.

b) with no reason to farm or brag with a silly title ganking / killing lowbies should decrease.
    only the real hardcore losers will kill grey guys when he cant put some virtual feathers to his hat while doing so.

to put it bluntly:
    taking out pvp solo titles from ao might take the fun out of pvping for the people most players do not want on the same server anyway.

that would pwn.

gone now. byebye.

You missed one of the biggest ones. If there were no titles there would be no reason not to team for PVP

guilty

i thought that was obvious

gone now. byebye.

Considering the booster pack is tailored to team PVP, and funcom hates coding new stuff (titles for team PVP) maybe the path of least resistance is to just dump them and let player's reputations speak for themselves.

Not really sure why people want them so badly the default position for anyone who sees a novice+ title is the perception that it was farmed. Just a few days ago, someone was asking me about a neo player I knew on my old account, their first assumption was that this person farmed the title. It's possible that this person did but this person had good tactics and played a weaker class. Titles don't bring respect, they stigmatize the player to some extent above novice. I'd be happy to see some stats on a web site for each player, a ladder, even out of game titles that could be chosen by the players to represent the ranks, but in game titles have been nothing but a nightmare from the start.

The system is messed up, and since it's such a minor part of the game and has no impact on game mechanics itself, taking a nihilistic approach to the system may be the best thing to do for the sake of interesting combat in the game.

Oh ya, and reduce rez effects from PKs too