Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Bets on Closure?

Bets on Closure?

Anarchy Online goes down... forever.
    I'll bet my beard that it will be before the end of the Janurary. I gotza feelin.

Quote Originally Posted by mishikato View Post
    I'll bet my beard that it will be before the end of the Janurary. I gotza feelin.
    Pesky mayans

WhyCantWe "Belp" BeFriends
    Hate "Belph" Shade
    "Belph0" Mk2
    Care "Calming" Bear
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashford View Post
    I think your cute <3

I'm sure if that were going to happen we'd have more than a 2 week notice ;D

Also, "The restructured organization will continue to focus
    strongly on its existing, successful MMO games; 'Age
    of Conan', 'Anarchy Online' and 'The Secret World'."

http://www.cisionwire.com/funcom-n-v...ompany,e350215
    Last edited by Nuhmudiira; Jan 16th, 2013 at 00:54:56.
    AO - JukeJoint "Nuhmudiira" Jezebel - 208/18 Trader - Omni

betting 100M credits it wont close. You can pay me if it still runs 1st of february.
    Quote Originally Posted by Michizure View Post
    This'll be fixed for the next patch

I'll bet my beard against closure, as I said elsewhere that contradicts the statements made and is unlikely.
    ~ HS ~
    [ Seppuku ]
    Member of the Tremor family: Misat0 :: AsukaLangley :: AyanamiRei :: Dextral :: Sinistral :: Pellaquare :: Salesman1337 :: Daemoness
    Retired: Misato Katsuragi-Messamore

[ The Foolish Testers ]
    R.I.P.: Misat0 Katsuragi :: Darkrei

Funcom employee

Quote Originally Posted by mishikato View Post
    Can we get a before and after picture if the server is still up in February?
    My posts are my own and do not reflect the views of my current nor former employers/clients

Remco "Vhab" van Oosterhout
    Former Anarchy Online Game Programmer

Live Chat Support | E-mail Support | Forum Rules | AODevs | Vha.Chat

If this relic closes, I'll be sad. So many memories..

They are still making money on AO. It doesn't matter how miniscule it is, positive cash flow for a struggling company is a good thing. AO will be fine after restructure. When you have to cut costs do you go after the cheap stuff, or go after the expensive stuff?

Depend on who is doing the cutting and how close to home the cutting hits.

AO is their oldest MMO and the one least likely to see any growth or return on investment for resources spent. I expect to read some kind of announcement soon regarding the future (or lack thereof) of the game. It makes no sense whatsoever that they should continue to invest money on this dinosaur when they are so close to bankruptcy. I expect they'll allow it to limp along until it is no longer cash flow positive, without investing any more money into it.
    Last edited by Luminita; Jan 16th, 2013 at 03:55:57.

Quote Originally Posted by Luminita View Post
    AO is their oldest MMO and the one least likely to see any growth or return on investment for resources spent. I expect to read some kind of announcement soon regarding the future (or lack thereof) of the game. It makes no sense whatsoever that they should continue to invest money on this dinosaur when they are so close to bankruptcy. I expect they'll allow it to limp along until it is no longer cash flow positive, without investing any more money into it.
    Pretty much this. I expect to see a greatly "lowered expectations" post regarding the future of AO soon. I think the merge will happen, but there will be no great balancing act, and the engine will not see the light of day.

Quote Originally Posted by Luminita View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by haxi View Post
    Pretty much this. I expect to see a greatly "lowered expectations" post regarding the future of AO soon. I think the merge will happen, but there will be no great balancing act, and the engine will not see the light of day.
    I first saw "AO is dead and soon to be shutdown" type posts shortly after I started playing in 2002. I bought into the hype and left to play SWG for a year. I came back. Left again because I again bought into the death of AO hype in 2006. Then I came back. Rise and repeat a few more times and here we are in 2013. AO is not going anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Tifanyx View Post
    I first saw "AO is dead and soon to be shutdown" type posts shortly after I started playing in 2002. I bought into the hype and left to play SWG for a year. I came back. Left again because I again bought into the death of AO hype in 2006. Then I came back. Rise and repeat a few more times and here we are in 2013. AO is not going anywhere.
    Compare 2002 to 2013. The negativity is absolutely warranted in 2013.

If you seriously think AO isn't dying, then I've got a bridge or 2 to sell you.

Quote Originally Posted by haxi View Post
    It should be pretty obvious by now that 'engine' was never going to happen, restructuring or not.

The only thing we know for sure is that AO will close down. Only question is when. And the "when" becomes more and more likely for every day that passes, because that's how the "when" gets you. In your sleep.
    Veteran of Equilibrium

Quote Originally Posted by Misat0 View Post
    I'll bet my beard against closure, as I said elsewhere that contradicts the statements made and is unlikely.
    Betting against Funcom making contradictory statements has never proven to be a wise move
    Thor Mastablasta Hammersmith - Level 220, AI 30, LE 70 Clan Atrox Nano Technician - Setup
    The Red Brotherhood

I'm a Nano-Technician, don't ever expect me to fight unbuffed, alone or fair.

Means: about f'ing time :P
    Satenia: heresy <3
    Znore: Mastablasta <3
    Kinkstaah: I have agro from many mobs ;(
    Madarab: we are aoe class, we are supose to use pistols
    Marxgorm: the NT toolset does not fit into my raiding tactics

Quote Originally Posted by Tifanyx View Post
    They are still making money on AO. It doesn't matter how miniscule it is, positive cash flow for a struggling company is a good thing. AO will be fine after restructure. When you have to cut costs do you go after the cheap stuff, or go after the expensive stuff?
    You'd think so, but recent actions made by FC (FC as in the company FC, not AO devs) kinda speak otherwise... in the last "restructuring" few months ago they cut people from *all* projects, including profitable AO. Couple people away from AO team does nothing to FC financially but do effect our development noticeably in the long run (meaning less player interest in AO = smaller bottom line for FC on AO's part). Unless there's something else behind it then I really can't see why any sane company would do that. Hence, combined with the silence currently, I'm a bit scared what this new round of restructuring will do.

My answer is 42.
    Strombanni, 220/70/30 Doctor
    General of The Red Brotherhood | Our videos

If a man of learning does not understand brotherhood
    has not the learning been a waste?

Quote Originally Posted by Mastablasta View Post
    Betting against Funcom making contradictory statements has never proven to be a wise move
    I never was a fan of the wise way to do such things.
    ~ HS ~
    [ Seppuku ]
    Member of the Tremor family: Misat0 :: AsukaLangley :: AyanamiRei :: Dextral :: Sinistral :: Pellaquare :: Salesman1337 :: Daemoness
    Retired: Misato Katsuragi-Messamore

[ The Foolish Testers ]
    R.I.P.: Misat0 Katsuragi :: Darkrei

Stop being so pessimistic. I'm sure it will last till summer!

Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast