Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: The naming algorithm is terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by Misat0 View Post
    It just came to my mind that the "real" naming algorithm might not have been used for the test merge so that no one would be able to guess how it works and then tries to gamble it before the Live merge.
    ^This. Either that or they're y'know, Testing the algorithm.....
    One profession to RoO them all, one profession to proc stun them, one profession to calm them all and in the darkness Exp perk them!

Crataiken 220/30/70 General - Primal Evolution - 3rd AI 30 'Crat on RK 1 Setup
    Calms 220/30/70 General - Primal Evolution
    Medicaiken 220/30/70 General - Primal Evolution Setup
    Newen 220/30/70 President - The Galactic Milieu
    Mettagirl 220/20/** General - Primal Evolution
    Krataiken 150/18/40 General - Primal Evolution Setup

I'm hopping on this thread because I care.

Rabble rabble rabble. I lost like 4 names to level 1 froobs. This is an outrage (it really is). Please tell me this is not the actual 'algorithm' if you can even call it that.
    Hi I'm Carl!

i better not lose one single name to anyone else.
    You hit Tarasque with nanobots for 18280 points of melee damage.
    First shade with Blades of Boltar
    ---
    How much is enough?
    Member of Halinallet!

I think i remember reading a post from FC that stated for this whole name-conflict resolution thing, they had a super-duper algorithm which they were sure would get it right in high percentage of cases. If their definition of "algorithm" is to just give precedence to the char that was created first, we must be using different dictionaries.

I thought their "algorithm" would take into account char level, amount played, when it was last logged in, etc amongst other relevant attributes...obviously, I severely over-estimated their ability to take such useless and feckless characteristics into account...
    RK2 - Pimpmyride 220 Engi!

Quote Originally Posted by cybertron View Post
    I think i remember reading a post from FC that stated for this whole name-conflict resolution thing, they had a super-duper algorithm which they were sure would get it right in high percentage of cases. If their definition of "algorithm" is to just give precedence to the char that was created first, we must be using different dictionaries.

I thought their "algorithm" would take into account char level, amount played, when it was last logged in, etc amongst other relevant attributes...obviously, I severely over-estimated their ability to take such useless and feckless characteristics into account...
    They stated that it wont take level as a category. I'd like them to at least reply saying if it is or isn't being used on Testlive atm.

Quote Originally Posted by Lolicon View Post
    They stated that it wont take level as a category. I'd like them to at least reply saying if it is or isn't being used on Testlive atm.
    I believe the response was bascially "we don't want to tell everyone how it works so folks don't try to circumvent the process". I don't have the willpower to look it up, but am quite certain that was the general jist of the response.
    Utopia
    The continued search for an ideal community possessing a perfect socio-politico-legal system.

“ The first thing a child should learn is how to endure. It is what he will have most need to know. ” — Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Even if you lose your name in AO, you will always be a Lolicon in real life.

Quote Originally Posted by Gatester View Post
    Even if you lose your name in AO, you will always be a Lolicon in real life.
    This i cannot deny.

Quote Originally Posted by Utopian View Post
    I believe the response was bascially "we don't want to tell everyone how it works so folks don't try to circumvent the process". I don't have the willpower to look it up, but am quite certain that was the general jist of the response.
    I read that post from FC the same way and because of that, made me think they had some well thought out process of deciding which toon would get the name and didnt want to reveal it so that people could try and play the system. If the way they were going to do it was to just give it to the oldest char, then why not just announce it was going to be as stupid as that? Its not like we could go back in time to create the characters so they were older....
    RK2 - Pimpmyride 220 Engi!

If one server is getting favor over the other then all those rumors about fc bias over the years are 100% true. One toon on rk1 has my name and its a level 33 froob that hasn't played in years. i bet I lose to this loser who is not in an org and not anything while I'm 220/30/70 and full gear and most likely thousands of hours played. what a nightmare I have to look forward too.... This prospect does not make me happy it makes me very angry and pissed. This is going to end up a train wreck like the swtor merge. I suggest everyone look into what happened there as this is the case this is going to cause a huge fiasco.

Quote Originally Posted by doctorgore View Post
    If one server is getting favor over the other then all those rumors about fc bias over the years are 100% true. One toon on rk1 has my name and its a level 33 froob that hasn't played in years. i bet I lose to this loser who is not in an org and not anything while I'm 220/30/70 and full gear and most likely thousands of hours played. what a nightmare I have to look forward too.... This prospect does not make me happy it makes me very angry and pissed. This is going to end up a train wreck like the swtor merge. I suggest everyone look into what happened there as this is the case this is going to cause a huge fiasco.
    Obviously you haven't been paying attention. One server isn't getting favored. Like in my example, the 220 is on rk1 and the level 10 froob is on rk2.

Funcom employee

Quote Originally Posted by Carlmalone View Post
    Rabble rabble rabble. I lost like 4 names to level 1 froobs. This is an outrage (it really is). Please tell me this is not the actual 'algorithm' if you can even call it that.
    If you can PM me your account/character name I can take a look.

It's hard enough to find decent names to not see them disapear. Especially now there are so few players.
    "Dead people" don't need their name anymore, they don't need OUR name either
    Idahoh - Adventurer

Synergy Factor

all my toons kept their names

Quote Originally Posted by Ilaliya View Post
    If you can PM me your account/character name I can take a look.
    I assume you are also looking at folks who posted a Bug Report with similar information about their "Lost" names ...

Hopefully one of the factors in this name algorithm is whether or not the account/toon has logged on in the past year.

Also, I assume level 1 thru 8 or 9 toons are not favored as tower twinks that don't level.

Kinnik

Quote Originally Posted by Pennypacker View Post
    Obviously you haven't been paying attention. One server isn't getting favored. Like in my example, the 220 is on rk1 and the level 10 froob is on rk2.
    Confirming this.

My 150 trader (RK1) lost the name to a 220 soldier (RK2) even while the 220 dude doesn't seem to have been logged since early 2011.
    ----------------------------
    Showing why AO forum is not to be trusted - on S10 inflation

Quote Originally Posted by Raggy View Post
    Multiple players in my org can make 200-300m maybe even 400m depending on lucky drops in 2 hours of farming the place. If you cannot see this as being an issue, then I don't know how to help you.

Isn't the algorithm simply based on when a character is created? If the toon at rk2 is a lvl 10 froob created in 2002 and the toon on rk 1 created in 2006.. well obviously the person that got the name first gets it?

Quote Originally Posted by enakur View Post
    Isn't the algorithm simply based on when a character is created? If the toon at rk2 is a lvl 10 froob created in 2002 and the toon on rk 1 created in 2006.. well obviously the person that got the name first gets it?
    Yeah and that would fail the reality check.

There's a couple of criteria by which this would have to be done.

Character creation date (older weighs higher)
    Character last activity (more recent weighs higher)
    Character total playtime (longer weighs higher)
    Character is on Premium Account (ie. paid weighs higher)

Probably even more criteria could be applied. A simple first-come-first-served will not do the trick here.

Quote Originally Posted by enakur View Post
    Nope, because there have been several name wipes until now so it wouldn't apply.
    ----------------------------
    Showing why AO forum is not to be trusted - on S10 inflation

Quote Originally Posted by Raggy View Post
    Multiple players in my org can make 200-300m maybe even 400m depending on lucky drops in 2 hours of farming the place. If you cannot see this as being an issue, then I don't know how to help you.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast