Thread: Monthly Development Update – Dec 3rd 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Vhab View Post
    Server merge won't hit live this year.

This process can't and won't be rushed as the risk is simply too great.
    We have to get this right to prevent characters from being damaged during the transition.

18.6.0 is a large complicated patch and we'll roll it out when we're confident it has been sufficiently tested.
    Anyone surprised?
    The Fine Arts:
    Mime | Surgery | Zen
    The Traitor

Xirayne: I couldn't care less about who is clueless or what the exact definition "real" pvp is in ao, I want "fun" pvp!

Quote Originally Posted by sultryvoltron View Post
    Anyone surprised?
    I honestly was, yea. It seemed like things were changing for the better.

Anyone surprised?
    Yes, let's have them rush out a patch witch could potentially destroy user data.
    Dagger 220/30/70 Shade // Attempted 219/24/?? Enforcer // Canidae 180/0/0 Adventurer // World 185/26/32 Meta-Physicist// Cramp 150/20/35 Engineer
    Ya wanna fix something - give RK mobs better xp, make RK matter again.

Quote Originally Posted by Mamman View Post
    Give shades love or we will stop buffing people!!

Quote Originally Posted by Notcrattey View Post
    Yes, let's have them rush out a patch witch could potentially destroy user data.
    The ire is within the previously stated context of it being pushed out xxxx, then xxxx, then xxxx and then...

Quote Originally Posted by mishikato View Post
    The ire is within the previously stated context of it being pushed out xxxx, then xxxx, then xxxx and then...
    You do realize that they never, EVER, set a solid date to it due to the possible temperamental nature of it? All they said is they -hoped-, and to me the way they said it made ME think it could easily be pushed back due to technical issues.

Maybe you should be happy that they care about your characters not being destroyed in the merge?
    Dagger 220/30/70 Shade // Attempted 219/24/?? Enforcer // Canidae 180/0/0 Adventurer // World 185/26/32 Meta-Physicist// Cramp 150/20/35 Engineer
    Ya wanna fix something - give RK mobs better xp, make RK matter again.

Quote Originally Posted by Mamman View Post
    Give shades love or we will stop buffing people!!

So another year with absolutely nothing. Wonderful.
    don't say that.. we got 1 out of 4 main goals this year, the new GMI.
    You hit Tarasque with nanobots for 18280 points of melee damage.
    First shade with Blades of Boltar
    ---
    How much is enough?
    Member of Halinallet!

Context matters. They aimed for end of November if all tests would have passed. They didn't.

And yeah, Ilaliya said it will be this year. But given the statement about the tests this obviously was also meant to happen only if those passed. I am very happy they do not rush this.

I can understand the anger of some people about this getting pushed back (again). But I don't want to be the one getting hit by you if the merge ends in a big mess. As I see it, most people now complaining about the delay would then be the ones complaining that "they didn't take their time".
    ~ HS ~
    [ Seppuku ]
    Member of the Tremor family: Misat0 :: AsukaLangley :: AyanamiRei :: Dextral :: Sinistral :: Pellaquare :: Salesman1337 :: Daemoness
    Retired: Misato Katsuragi-Messamore

[ The Foolish Testers ]
    R.I.P.: Misat0 Katsuragi :: Darkrei

You do realize that they never, EVER, set a solid date to it due to the possible temperamental nature of it? All they said is they -hoped-, and to me the way they said it made ME think it could easily be pushed back due to technical issues.

Maybe you should be happy that they care about your characters not being destroyed in the merge?
    Ilaliya said it'd be this year tho in November, now we practically had to drag out of them an admittance of delay. While it's appreciated they do it proper I'm sure you and many others share my annoyance at all the delays we have been put trough over the years. This is not aimed personally at anyone at the current team and I'm aware they're doing their best with what they have, and while earlier promises can not be faulted at a single individual it can be put on Funcom and the office of AO and they have to take that criticism and aim to improve on timeframes and keeping them.

2cts
    Last edited by Pennypacker; Dec 17th, 2012 at 23:33:41.

Quote Originally Posted by Misat0 View Post
    Context matters. They aimed for end of November if all tests would have passed. They didn't.

And yeah, Ilaliya said it will be this year. But given the statement about the tests this obviously was also meant to happen only if those passed. I am very happy they do not rush this.

I can understand the anger of some people about this getting pushed back (again). But I don't want to be the one getting hit by you if the merge ends in a big mess. As I see it, most people now complaining about the delay would then be the ones complaining that "they didn't take their time".
    No, at this point I'd almost not even care if my characters and gear all got mixed up as long as there was a larger population to play with.

I make good predictions.

No, at this point I'd almost not even care if my characters and gear all got mixed up as long as there was a larger population to play with.
    but i do.
    You hit Tarasque with nanobots for 18280 points of melee damage.
    First shade with Blades of Boltar
    ---
    How much is enough?
    Member of Halinallet!

I hope you tried being sarcastic here.
    ~ HS ~
    [ Seppuku ]
    Member of the Tremor family: Misat0 :: AsukaLangley :: AyanamiRei :: Dextral :: Sinistral :: Pellaquare :: Salesman1337 :: Daemoness
    Retired: Misato Katsuragi-Messamore

[ The Foolish Testers ]
    R.I.P.: Misat0 Katsuragi :: Darkrei

Yes, let's have them put out a patch that isn't social armor for once.
    Fixed for truthfulness.
    The Fine Arts:
    Mime | Surgery | Zen
    The Traitor

Xirayne: I couldn't care less about who is clueless or what the exact definition "real" pvp is in ao, I want "fun" pvp!

Fixed for truthfulness.
    +1
    If I wanted to play dress up I'd play TSW. Oh snap.

LOL so not surprised. I know it has to be done right but seriously. If this company had restricting deadlines like most theyd be dead long ago

I like the term "goal line" more.

It always sucks when things are delayed, but at least now we know why.
    Last edited by Demoder; Dec 18th, 2012 at 04:44:41.
    ::: My Tools & Stuff :::
    ::: Cratine Savagedheals Enfine Zoewrangle Demoder :: Solitron Demotionform :: IRC Demoder Savagedlight :::
    ::: AOItems :: Blog :: CIDB :: HelpBot :: ItemsBot :: PlanetMap Viewer :: Tower Wars :: Twitter :::

I'm glad that they are taking time to make it perfect before release.

Long time ago something went wrong with testlive character copy and when you copied character from live to test there was a high chance that you lost one of the test characters.

There was no way to restore the character (other than reroll).

Imagine your 220/30/70 character with all the phat loot you collected over years. You have completed loads of quests, got your stat buffing gear, alphas all in, sets of armor for different situations, everything is good.
    Then you transfer and *poof*.. gone.
    All the items, quests, time and money gone.
    I don't want that on live server.

I don't have an issue with Funcom taking the time to make sure they are doing the merge properly. That is, in my opinion, the sensible thing to do. What I do have an issue with is irresponsible communication.

Specifically referring to:

Quote Originally Posted by Ilaliya View Post
    I can’t give you a set date, but it will be this year.
    When is Funcom/the AO team going to learn to stop making promises they can't keep? I have lost count on the number of players that have been turned off and/or alienated by miscommunications that could have been avoided altogether.

"It will be this year" that is not a set date but that is saying that it will be done by 12/31/2012. Again, I'm not upset about the fact that it wasn't done.. in fact I told any and everyone I know that it wouldn't happen when I read the November post. But some people had faith in the current team and against my advisement proceeded to activate accounts and get things in order expecting that they'd be playing on a combined server this year. That's money wasted and a few more people now extremely butthurt that feel as if they were lied to in an attempt to drain more money from their multiple account subscriptions. [Note: I'm not saying this was the intent by Funcom/the AO team but that is what some people I know are saying out of frustration after spending money on a few accounts.]

My only suggestion, that I've given many times before, is for Funcom/the AO team to simply stop setting expectations that they can't either meet or exceed. It does nothing but hurt what they're trying to do which I genuinely believe is to rebuild AO. Pissing off members of your paying community doesn't help rebuild though... and after years of false promises and expectations it just doesn't take much to get people steamed anymore.
    Last edited by Traderjill; Dec 18th, 2012 at 08:07:08.
    You can find me at:
    Battlenet @ Marilata#1680
    Steam @ http://steamcommunity.com/id/marilata

You think it's gonna be perfect? This was a way for them to milk some more money from the idiots who actually believed in our producer's promise. And I bet every credit I have stored on my toons it won't happen for the next 3 months either, and new engine won't see the light of day by the end of Q3 2013 at best.

Guess what, they did set a solid date and, like hundreds of times before, it wasn't respected. You, maybe, "hoped", but Ialya said "It's happening this year", wich means it's done by new year's eve. Tehnical issues or not, it's better that they use a buffer period of maybe 6 months when announcing release dates. So, they say it's ready in october but then surprize us all by releasing it earlyer, winning confidence points from the cows they milk(sorry, I just can't help calling us cows since this is a technique used by MANY companies). And they should care about my characters, because me having active characters means I paid to pay and a small procentage of that goes to salaries.
    Quote Originally Posted by TharBeDragons View Post
    I'm glad that they are taking time to make it perfect before release.

Long time ago something went wrong with testlive character copy and when you copied character from live to test there was a high chance that you lost one of the test characters.

There was no way to restore the character (other than reroll).

Imagine your 220/30/70 character with all the phat loot you collected over years. You have completed loads of quests, got your stat buffing gear, alphas all in, sets of armor for different situations, everything is good.
    Then you transfer and *poof*.. gone.
    All the items, quests, time and money gone.
    I don't want that on live server.
    Perfect? It's gonna be full of bugs and crashes just like every patch has ever been. They can't make anything PERFECTLY right and you can notice this when looking at our past patch notes. Every major patch had a follow-up patch to fix the plethora of mistakes they did. You think now, that they are taking more time to do this things are gonna work flawlesly? Think again and prepare yourself for a week of drama on the forums post-patch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Traderjill View Post

"It will be this year" that is not a set date but that is saying that it will be done by 12/31/2012. Again, I'm not upset about the fact that it wasn't done.. in fact I told any and everyone I know that it wouldn't happen when I read the November post. But some people had faith in the current team and against my advisement proceeded to activate accounts and get things in order expecting that they'd be playing on a combined server this year. That's money wasted and a few more people now extremely butthurt that feel as if they were lied to in an attempt to drain more money from their multiple account subscriptions. [Note: I'm not saying this was the intent by Funcom/the AO team but that is what some people I know are saying out of frustration after spending money on a few accounts.]

My only suggestion, that I've given many times before, is for Funcom/the AO team to simply stop setting expectations that they can't either meet or exceed. It does nothing but hurt what they're trying to do which I genuinely believe is to rebuild AO. Pissing off members of your paying community doesn't help rebuild though... and after years of false promises and expectations it just doesn't take much to get people steamed anymore.
    They'll never stop setting expectations like that, trust me. If they did, many people wouldn't subscribe untill the actual patch. Look what happened now. In my org, like 10 people just resubbed somewhere around 25 accounts JUST FOR THE MERGE. Now merge won't happen this year and those accounts were only resubbed for 1 month. After this month has passed, what do you think will happen to those opened accounts? They'll get frozen again, maybe premanently this time. But by making such a promise, you get people's hope us, they subscribe and then BOOM, dissapointment all over again. We're used to that treatment anyway....FC made us sure we don't forget the fact that we can't have any change without months or years of begging and begging. I mean, look at the thread about "known bugs and isses", there are stuff there that haven't even been looked at since 2002.
    Last edited by Malraux; Dec 18th, 2012 at 09:17:42.
    Contra
    Urynt
    Malraux
    Fontane
    Critbull
    Cleanex
    Fontane2

qft.

sadly.
    ..:: 220|30|70|e|::.. Dumonde
    ..:: 220|30|70|e|::.. Rank1
    ..:: 220|30|70|e|::.. Maxwell
    ..:: 220|30|70|e|::.. Zidane
    ..:: 220|28|66|e|::.. Isaak
    ..:: 215|20|56|e|::.. Rumb0
    ..:: 215|15|29|e|::.. Tiesto-1
    ..:: 212|17|46|e|::.. Pulsedriver
    ..:: 210|08|09|e|::.. Unseen

.. :: Punk :: ..

Page 15 of 32 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920212223242526272829303132 LastLast