Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: Monthly Development Update – Nov 5th 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Vhab View Post
    We can't add "extra data" to character IDs.
    The IDs on RK1 and RK2 are using the full range of 32bit unsigned integers and leave no extra room to 'flag' them.

The lack of mapping of old ID to new ID on the client is a concern to us, but unfortunately not a high priority.
    We are aware of the concerns and one-time inconveniences this causes and might mitigate some of them.

Unfortunately we do have to balance out the development time vs the gain of addressing this.
    This does mean addressing a one-time inconvenience particularly for bots is not high on our priority list.
    We only have finite resources to work with.
    Some dirty job even by hand in update might be preferable.

One option could be to add a file with character's name in individual pref folder for each character as they are logged in pre-merge and then backup old prefs in migration patch.
    Ekarona 220/30 Female Solitus Engineer, long term member of Northern Star and proper "poor" gimp.
    Ekaslave 220/low Female Solitus Trader, FLAT(TM) pricing TS, almost all can do!
    Ekaros almost there/almost there too Male Solitus Martial-Artist.
    Ekadv gimp/gimp Female Opifex Adventurer

bots is not high on our priority list.
    Ok, who are you and what have you done with Vhab?

This does mean addressing a one-time inconvenience particularly for bots is not high on our priority list.
    Semi-manually merging 5k or so characters (as in, trying to find out if the new player 'XXXX' on server 'Z' is actually old player 'XXXX' from server 'Y' and from server 'X') is not something I would call 'inconvenience'. Especially if XML lookups won't work in first days after merge.

It is all, of course, matter of opinion, but I think that in a game, that is practically run by bots, on all servers and level ranges, helping to mitigate damage of a change that breaks all of them, should be a priority. You know that better than others =p

Solution is quite simple, make a new chatacter stat, when server merge occurs, put old char ID there (hell, you can even do that now). Then, use this stat to fix prefs on client, and put it on character bio XML (not like there's gonna be any merge after this one).
    220 Shade | 220 NT | 220 Crat | 220 Fixer | 220 Agent | 165 Adv

Quote Originally Posted by Lazy View Post
    question:

someone on rimor has the same name as my character on atlantean. how will you deal with this? do i get to keep my name? does he get to keep his? is it by level? /played? /created? i REALLY don't wanna be lazyfixer-1 because some froob logged in before me...
    lazyfixer on rk 2 is an old character I do see her log in once in a while but not often
    what if the hokey pokey?...is what its all about
    I AM BORED!!!!
    Capnsfix, Capncaveman, Denamari, Monkeylips, and boatloads of others
    Insanity inc. still waiting on our in game strait jacket

Quote Originally Posted by Graftmage View Post
    Semi-manually merging 5k or so characters (as in, trying to find out if the new player 'XXXX' on server 'Z' is actually old player 'XXXX' from server 'Y' and from server 'X') is not something I would call 'inconvenience'. Especially if XML lookups won't work in first days after merge.

It is all, of course, matter of opinion, but I think that in a game, that is practically run by bots, on all servers and level ranges, helping to mitigate damage of a change that breaks all of them, should be a priority. You know that better than others =p

Solution is quite simple, make a new chatacter stat, when server merge occurs, put old char ID there (hell, you can even do that now). Then, use this stat to fix prefs on client, and put it on character bio XML (not like there's gonna be any merge after this one).
    Not sure if making updating character map from old servers to new one would be too complicated.

Basicly bots could probably be supported just by collecting info as characters are processed. It's small thing to add in processing accounts, but shouldn't be impossible or hard in anyway.

Just make a list with server, old id, new id and name.

Up date this list every hour or so or make way to query it.

1+4+4+13+1 equals 23 bytes for every character including a separator.
    Ekarona 220/30 Female Solitus Engineer, long term member of Northern Star and proper "poor" gimp.

The lack of mapping of old ID to new ID on the client is a concern to us, but unfortunately not a high priority.
    We are aware of the concerns and one-time inconveniences this causes and might mitigate some of them.
    Does this mean that our characters will have new IDs and the information from our current character folders won't be carrying over (backpack names, hotbars, and the like)? If so:

Would I be able to keep that information if I wrote down the current character ID for each character, saved the old prefs before the migration, then copied the contents of the old character folder to the new character folder after the migration?
    Last edited by tiralee; Nov 5th, 2012 at 23:42:44.

pointsbot maintainers are gonna flip tables ovver this...

Quote Originally Posted by tiralee View Post
    Does this mean that our characters will have new IDs and the information from our current character folders won't be carrying over (backpack names, hotbars, and the like)? If so:

Would I be able to keep that information if I wrote down the current character ID for each character, saved the old prefs before the migration, then copied the contents of the old character folder to the new character folder after the migration?
    I think at least for containers this might be impossible as they have unique ids I think...

Not sure about chat and hot bars.

Quote Originally Posted by Graftmage View Post
    This. This sounds like it's the probably the most reasonable solution to it.
    Shhhsss. Careful. Behind all the colours, there are ears, ears who listen.

We can't add "extra data" to character IDs.
    The IDs on RK1 and RK2 are using the full range of 32bit unsigned integers and leave no extra room to 'flag' them.

Unfortunately we do have to balance out the development time vs the gain of addressing this.
    We only have finite resources to work with.
    Of course, maybe some dev who used to, you know, write and maintain bots when he was just a lowly player might, in moments of downtime or boredom, write a useful fix.

Or something.

Cool How many new slots please.

It would be nice to know how many extra new slots paid accounts will be given so we can start planning now which characters on each server we want to keep. I have a full compliment of 8 on each server.

The thought of having to redo prefs... All of them, on all of my chracters. All the hotbars and UI customisation and bank bags - all the bank alts too. Oh god

Ophiuchus : 220/30/80 HAHA etc
    Nahuatl
    :: 220/30/80 Melee 4lyfe
    Khurkh :: 220/30/80 healtankpew
    Transcendence
    Msanthropic
    : 210/26/60 nanostab
    Spidershiva :: 165/23/42 kite? eh?
    Silentmotion
    : 150/20/42 tankthink
    The Union

Would you have to redo all the prefs? Can't they be copied into the new folder?
    -Tanisthonus. 212MP. Unity of the Rose. Atlantean.

Quote Originally Posted by Tanisthonus View Post
    They can.
    Marijke88::220|30|70 Opifex Martial Artist
    Phexuz::220|30|70 Opifex Fixer
    Doppelripp::220|30|70 Opifex Bureaucrat
    Arbitrage::220|30|70 Opifex Trader
    Truxal::220|30|70 Opifex Doctor
    Brennstab::220|30|70 Opifex Nano-Technician
    Wurstmacher::200|30|70 Opifex Shade

Proud Advisor of Insomnia Gravis
    Account created: 2005-01-13

Quote Originally Posted by Tanisthonus View Post
    They should really make player prefs server storage. Its not like its hard to make a new database table. You see every mmorpg stores player pref not only on client. This would save allot of work for players. With some smart programming this doesn't have to stress the server.

Quote Originally Posted by Ilaliya View Post
    In Closing

We have a big month ahead of us! We're closing down the Server Migration work, and Q1 next year you'll see the New Player Experience and Engine Upgrade Beta. Now it's just about keeping our heads down and getting it all done.
    Quote Originally Posted by Means View Post
    With the increased scope of supporting both clients a Christmas launch is becoming less and less likely…but a Q1 2011 launch seems relatively certain.
    This seems familiar.
    Last edited by Raggy; Nov 6th, 2012 at 04:31:09.
    Pricecuts - 220 Trader
    Feel free to contact me via PM or in-game.

Raggy - 220 Bureaucrat || Raggeh - 220 Fixer | Back as 'Raggys' - Shade for the time being. | Nuclei - 217 Nanotechnician || Nanobiology - 214 Doctor

Tip #743: As noted in Tip #244, tea bags have an infinite variety of uses. However, there's always one jerk who will want to give you crap over drinking tea. Particularly if in a new town, use this as an opportunity to assert yourself. Any drunken idiot can win a bar fight. It takes a real man to win a bar fight while enjoying a cup of Earl Grey.

Question about the new server coming up, there will be some that will place there toons at certain locations such as high level tower sites or unique mob spawns. Is there anything in place to deal with this?
    Gaveup 220/30/80 Smg

Quote Originally Posted by Gaveup View Post
    Question about the new server coming up, there will be some that will place there toons at certain locations such as high level tower sites or unique mob spawns. Is there anything in place to deal with this?
    People do this before a patch, and it has never been a problem.
    Twitch Channel - Youtube Channel - Twitter - Facebook - Pinterest
    AO Universe - By Players, For Players! The #1 AO Fansite Worldwide - Site Founder (Retired). | AOSpeak - Unofficial AO Teamspeak 3 Server - Founder (Retired). | AO Recipebook - In-Game Recipe/Tradeskill Bot - Founder (Retired).
    Founding member of the Council of Truth Clerical Staff.
    Keep in mind: My posts are my own personal views and thoughts.

big thumbs up for this update!

confirmed: AO servers are really going down
    * Cryborg Nano-Technician - Have a shoulder to cry on!
    Aramlash Fixer - Can't catch me!
    Aramsunat Engineer - 4 Blockers of the Apocalypse

Devil Inside

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 LastLast