Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: So, About the "Neutral Neck Item Imbalance"

So, About the "Neutral Neck Item Imbalance"

I know that 3 and a half years is a short time to wait for promises from FC but I feel now is a good time to remind the current design team and the producer of ANOTHER promise that players have been waiting for.

Considering the easy opportunity to change from Clan to Omni and vice versa, along with the soon expected change back to Neutral mentioned here:
    Quote Originally Posted by Genele View Post
    It has been made internally, we will patch it to Testlive next patch.
    It's about time that Neutrals get some proper neck item options available to all TLs.
    The Fine Arts:
    Mime | Surgery | Zen
    The Traitor

Xirayne: I couldn't care less about who is clueless or what the exact definition "real" pvp is in ao, I want "fun" pvp!

Not ones we gotta buy either
    Quote Originally Posted by Esssch View Post
    I think you're wrong. I think AO is the most balanced MOBA out there.

Quote Originally Posted by sultryvoltron View Post
    Considering the easy opportunity to change from Clan to Omni and vice versa
    Well, change then, and get your tokenboard. Neutrals have other advantages to compensate for the lack of the board.
    220 Shade | 220 NT | 220 Crat | 220 Fixer | 220 Agent | 165 Adv

Quote Originally Posted by Graftmage View Post
    Well, change then, and get your tokenboard. Neutrals have other advantages to compensate for the lack of the board.
    Would you care to list them? Our biggest advantage was recently given to everyone with the new GMI system.
    The Fine Arts:
    Mime | Surgery | Zen
    The Traitor

Xirayne: I couldn't care less about who is clueless or what the exact definition "real" pvp is in ao, I want "fun" pvp!

Being able to play for either side (in BS, leveling), wearing both factions' items.
    Besides, hasn't it been stated before that neuts are here just for RP purposes? Well, if you want to RP, why would you want tokenboard then at all ? If not, why not just go sided?
    220 Shade | 220 NT | 220 Crat | 220 Fixer | 220 Agent | 165 Adv

if you want a real tokenboard join a real faction.

Would you care to list them? Our biggest advantage was recently given to everyone with the new GMI system.
    both sides of garden keys, ability to grind inf mishes with both factions, guardian faction easier to get than sided faction. grind out 220/30/70 as a neut and go to the side where you have more friends after that

Quote Originally Posted by Lazy View Post
    both sides of garden keys, ability to grind inf mishes with both factions, guardian faction easier to get than sided faction. grind out 220/30/70 as a neut and go to the side where you have more friends after that
    They look pretty sucky when you list them out, don't they?

Also, the faction part is debatable. Getting sided faction isn't hard at all, especially if you start doing Inf at 160, while a Neut has to get teams for lotv to get as high as a sided player can get from inf hards.
    The Fine Arts:
    Mime | Surgery | Zen
    The Traitor

Do neutrals actually expect to have matching power in terms of gear?

I don't believe that has ever been the intention of the devs, certainly Means didn't imply that in his referenced neck comment above.

Neutrals already have considerable access advantages of their own, mentioned in this thread, which are designed to fit their RP status in the greater scheme of things in the game. If neutrals had matching gear in terms of power then there would be little reason to play Clan or Omni, given neutral built-in access advantages.

Dagget
    President,
    Venice Academy

Quote Originally Posted by Dagget View Post
    Do neutrals actually expect to have matching power in terms of gear?

I don't believe that has ever been the intention of the devs, certainly Means didn't imply that in his referenced neck comment above.

Neutrals already have considerable access advantages of their own, mentioned in this thread, which are designed to fit their RP status in the greater scheme of things in the game. If neutrals had matching gear in terms of power then there would be little reason to play Clan or Omni, given neutral built-in access advantages.

Considering we recently lost our greatest advantage of selling to everyone, it isn't unfair to ask for a a piece of the sided advantage pie.

And FYI, that statement was made in response to complaints about the Xan tokenboards increasing the game between sided and Neutral players. That gap has not been shrunk to this day.
    The Fine Arts:
    Mime | Surgery | Zen
    The Traitor

Considering we recently lost our greatest advantage of selling to everyone, it isn't unfair to ask for a a piece of the sided advantage pie.
    You have the same advantage you had circa 2004 - ability to work all faction trade (and OOC) channels. Corner on GMI market has simply come and gone.
    Dagget
    President,
    Venice Academy

You have the same advantage you had circa 2004 - ability to work all faction trade (and OOC) channels. Corner on GMI market has simply come and gone.
    we never had that because you simply metagamed it. good try for the hundredth time though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Esssch View Post
    I think you're wrong. I think AO is the most balanced MOBA out there.

Fixers, Docs and Traders lost their advantage of being the gridders. Crats lost their advantage of being the only prof with the ability to use the bank anywhere. Clans got access to str/sta sleeves etc. while Omnis got nothing in return.

It's just the way the game works. Advantages come and go!
    Executing Nano Program: Gift of Assurance. Target has not enough nano controlling units (NCU) left. Swordbreaker: Not enough NCU. O_o Fixichong: FFS Fixichong: ive failed as a fixer Fixichong: i quit

One of the first of those people who put the Infused Dust Brigade Engineer Pistol (2,7k ME/EE making req) + Infused Master Engineer Pistol on the same Engineer before any updates that fixed anything (including the original sync issues inside the DB instance), lolz!11

People use trade channels? I was under the impression that Neutnet/Dnet killed those off. I suppose that's because I actually have logged into the game during the last month.

But, thank you for affirming that the biggest advantage of being Neutral, namely the GMS advantage, has come and gone. Perhaps it is time to revisit the idea of Neutral advantages, as well as the neck item imbalance.
    The Fine Arts:
    Mime | Surgery | Zen
    The Traitor

Quote Originally Posted by Otansaanpas View Post
    same 2 neuts bringing this "issue" to our attention.
    ibtl.
    Kintaii is gone, so is Means.

Current dev team probably has no clue that this has ever been brought up.
    The Fine Arts:
    Mime | Surgery | Zen
    The Traitor

Debate failures:

Joining either side in BS - Problem is that you are forced to join the losing side with fewer people to get it started, while the other side almost always has an advantage in players and PVP strength. This is not an advantage for anyone but the factions playing against neutrals...and of course myself, but I love to be on the losing side cause I get more PVP

Joining either side while leveling - This would be nice if most players did not choose from their own factions first. You also have this massive side-XP advantage for being with either clan or omni, although it tends to alternate the difference is significant. 20% XP bonus compared to 2% XP bonus, who really levels faster?

Gaining guardian faction as opposed to redeemed/unredeemed faction - You get plenty of red/unred faction from inferno missions, penumbra and adonis missions as well if you needed. Faction has never really been an issue for anyone.

Neutral shopping advantages - gone.

Neutral item advantages - this does exist with one item, profiteer's helper. Unfortunately it is quite difficult to acquire and it has the downfall of being an item for particular twinking between TL5-TL6 only in most cases. This means a player can easily remain neutral while using the item and then switching factions afterward. There are no neutral only items which actually require a player to remain neutral indefinately.

The disadvantages of neutrality not presented above:

Faction only buffing gear, especially in the case of stam/str sleeves.

Shadowbreeds are significantly more useful for clan and omni.

Token board disadvantage.

Players can change between omni and clan, but not back to neutral freely.

Advantage which was listed appropriately:

Garden key questing - It is helpful to be able to do both faction's garden key content for both traveling and for experience gains. In the long run, however, the experience gains are lost to the advantages in XP gain from token boards and side XP. Traveling is a slight convenience but, again in the long run, that convenience does add up.

Probably others I missed but not really necessary to post them. I personally do not care about the disadvantages in most cases, as I went neutral expecting them and do not mind being on a constantly losing team in BS. My level 60 soldier is missing quite a bit from not having a token board but oh well, I would still rather be neutral. Really just wanted to emphasize that some "advantages" are not, but I do not think there is anything particularly wrong with neutrals.
    Last edited by Gatester; Oct 4th, 2012 at 23:01:29.

Quote Originally Posted by Gatester View Post
    Token board disadvantage.
    Just to mention, this creates many subsequent problems.

For example, non-220 Neutrals cannot keep Alb and DB bracers out of OE while wearing a Xan or Dread board.

Certain Prof/Breed combonations cannot keep those bracers out of OE at 220, unless wearing full Alpha symbs and using comp lit expertise.

For some reason, it was decided that TL7 Neutrals should get 180-200 less runspeed than sided characters. There is no logical explanation behind this large of a difference.
    The Fine Arts:
    Mime | Surgery | Zen
    The Traitor

Bump, it's time to even out the difference.

Could implement something like a quest to join a Mercenary Collective or guild, earning tokens to gain advantages within the guild.
    Dagger 220/30/70 Shade // Attempted 219/24/?? Enforcer // Canidae 180/0/0 Adventurer // World 185/26/32 Meta-Physicist// Cramp 150/20/35 Engineer
    Ya wanna fix something - give RK mobs better xp, make RK matter again.

Quote Originally Posted by Mamman View Post
    Give shades love or we will stop buffing people!!

Bump, it would be nice for the advantages and drawbacks of being neut/sided to be purely content and convenience based instead of applying limits to a characters potential.

Quote Originally Posted by Otansaanpas View Post
    same 2 neuts bringing this "issue" to our attention.
    ibtl.
    indeed. before and after pretty much every major update.

you nuets want a fully tweaked endgame pvper char? pick a side.
    * Cryborg Nano-Technician - Have a shoulder to cry on!
    Aramlash Fixer - Can't catch me!
    Aramsunat Engineer - 4 Blockers of the Apocalypse

Devil Inside

I think an "as good as clan and omni" token board would be a terrible idea, since being neutral would therefore be the most effective choice for PVP. I do not believe we want neutrals being the dominant PVP faction.

What most neutrals want, however, is simply comparable computer literacy and runspeed on their quality neck items. Even if it is less, being closer is what the real issue is. Neutrals do not need a Paragon board, just add comp lit and runspeed to the xan boards and maybe give a TL3-TL6 set of neck items which are about 15-20% less quality than faction neck items.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast