Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AO on GameBreaker.Tv

AO on GameBreaker.Tv

AO graphics update has got the attention of Gamebreaker.tv

http://www.gamebreaker.tv/game-trailers/pretty-anarchy/

Rejoice and make merry,

(and maybe go to Gamebreaker.tv to leave a comment about how much this means to the AO community)

No really, go there and represent AO !

I am wiser than any god or scientist, for I have squared the circle and cubed Earth's sphere, thus I have created 4 simultaneous separate 24 hour days within a 4-corner (as in a 4-corner classroom) rotation of Earth. See for yourself the absolute proof.

so trust that this settles the matter

Quote Originally Posted by thandril View Post

so trust that this settles the matter
    OK.. ill just file you under cynical and jaded.

Im sure you would be happier if AO got no mainstream attention and no new players.

Problem is those new players will quickly become ex players.
    An engine update isn't going to fix the population issues.
    I am wiser than any god or scientist, for I have squared the circle and cubed Earth's sphere, thus I have created 4 simultaneous separate 24 hour days within a 4-corner (as in a 4-corner classroom) rotation of Earth. See for yourself the absolute proof.

Quote Originally Posted by drainbamage View Post
    AO gets a little bit of attention in the places it needs to be seen to survive.

I would encourage any one here to at least put some kinda positive comment forward.

I believe that many of you love this game, why else would you still be in these forums.

Its easy to be cynical and try to score smart ass points with cutpasta BS.

AO is doomed if its community cant rally to at least show some kinda support for it when it get attention.
    Last edited by Twinksta; Mar 29th, 2012 at 03:35:30.

What exactly kind of positive comment can I make that isn't a fabrication?
    That there will be a new engine and game rebalance at some indeterminate time in the future?
    Some banal "still alive" thing?

Yeah, I'm fond of AO, but the game has been stagnant for years. I've tried to recommend this game to friends and I'm honestly at a loss of what to say other than "it's free".

Quote Originally Posted by Twinksta View Post
    AO gets a little bit of attention in the places it needs to be seen to survive.

I would encourage any one here to at least put some kinda positive comment forward.

I believe that many of you love this game, why else would you still be in these forums.

Its easy to be cynical and try to score smart ass points with cutpasta BS.

AO is doomed if its community cant rally to at least show some kinda support for it when it get attention.
    I wish more people had this attitude.
    The community is what makes or breaks a MMO.

It would be wise to listen to Twinksta and try a positive approach on things. You'll even feel better afterwards, as you won't have the bittersweet taste of cynicism after every forum interaction.

Example:
    Hypothetically speaking: If you were to go to some social event; Would you be likely to stay if people were being mean, cynical and constantly sniping at eachother?
    Last edited by Demoder; Mar 29th, 2012 at 03:53:11.
    ::: My Tools & Stuff :::
    ::: Cratine Savagedheals Enfine Zoewrangle Demoder :: Solitron Demotionform :: IRC Demoder Savagedlight :::
    ::: AOItems :: Blog :: CIDB :: HelpBot :: ItemsBot :: PlanetMap Viewer :: Tower Wars :: Twitter :::

Quote Originally Posted by Demoder View Post
    Example:
    Hypothetically speaking: If you were to go to some social event; Would you be likely to stay if people were being mean, cynical and constantly sniping at eachother?
    No, I wouldn't.
    Here's another hypothetical in the same vein:
    If you were to go to a party that started ten years ago, and the only people left are two old men throwing darts, drinking skunky beer, and arguing bitterly, would you invite your friends?

No, I wouldn't.
    Here's another hypothetical in the same vein:
    If you were to go to a party that started ten years ago, and the only people left are two old men throwing darts, drinking skunky beer, and arguing bitterly, would you invite your friends?
    I would totally crash that party.
    ::: My Tools & Stuff :::
    ::: Cratine Savagedheals Enfine Zoewrangle Demoder :: Solitron Demotionform :: IRC Demoder Savagedlight :::
    ::: AOItems :: Blog :: CIDB :: HelpBot :: ItemsBot :: PlanetMap Viewer :: Tower Wars :: Twitter :::

You seem to forget what its like to play AO for the first time. The game is fun. REALLY fun. It is why most of us continue to play (granted at max level, or when you have 6 220's, and have done everything.. it gets stale, but this game keeps its fun factor for a long time).

If you add how fun it is, to a graphical update, which is needed to capture the attention of new mmo players these days, you will see an increase in player retention.

I have my gripes about AO. But when it comes down to it, I want to see it survive and repopulate. Demoder is correct. New players that glance at this forum, would be instantly put off by it. it is flooded with negativity and crap honestly. This isn't the kind of negativity I used to enjoy either. There's nothing wrong with faction vs faction hate/flame threads. But just sheer negativity. Cynicism, and sarcasm are the replies to 90% of posts.

I feel it would be extremely off putting to a new player.

In your hypothetical, yes I would leave. But I would leave because there was only 2 people there who were griping at each other and the environment would just suck. But if I came to that same 10 year old party, MORE people (which is the goal here), who were having fun and being entertaining... i'd give it a chance.

If people want to see AO grow (which many dont, or just dont care anymore) they really need to try to be more positive and assist the community with this growth. The players are what make the game.
    Service (220 Doc ) : Putrefy (173 Shade) : Klench (162 Enf ) : Impiety (113 MP) : Immolater (76 Agent ) : Apprentice Pained (5 Advy)
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    (Ex-ShadowMercs, Ex-Awakening, Ex-Legion, Ex-Orbitek,)

Quote Originally Posted by Service View Post
    You seem to forget what its like to play AO for the first time. The game is fun. REALLY fun. It is why most of us continue to play (granted at max level, or when you have 6 220's, and have done everything.. it gets stale, but this game keeps its fun factor for a long time).
    Actually the first time I played AO I quit because the combat was horribly boring, newbie island made me groan (leetspeaking birds? it's like I'm in the 90s again) and I got lost in Omni Entertainment, because hey, functional maps are for casuals. I came back because of the setting, which even today is still kind of unique. Once I got over the initial awfulness of the game I started enjoying it more.

So in fact I'd say it's the opposite. The game sucks for new players and it's only the people who have the willpower (or lack of good sense) to not quit who wind up enjoying it. No matter how shiny the engine is, if that doesn't change, the population will never grow significantly.

I want to see AO thrive, but my confidence in FC at this point is at rock bottom, and I imagine that's the same for a lot of people. This is why there is so much negativity.

All MMOs suck, you just find the one that you like. It's as simple as that. I like AO best, still. And I've tried so many, and oh man do they all suck so bad.
    Thor Mastablasta Hammersmith - Level 220, AI 30, LE 70 Clan Atrox Nano Technician - Setup
    The Red Brotherhood

I'm a Nano-Technician, don't ever expect me to fight unbuffed, alone or fair.

Means: about f'ing time :P
    Satenia: heresy <3
    Znore: Mastablasta <3
    Kinkstaah: I have agro from many mobs ;(
    Madarab: we are aoe class, we are supose to use pistols
    Marxgorm: the NT toolset does not fit into my raiding tactics

Quote Originally Posted by Mastablasta View Post
    All MMOs suck, you just find the one that you like. It's as simple as that. I like AO best, still. And I've tried so many, and oh man do they all suck so bad.
    Heh... Pretty much my words exactly...

Only one besides AO that has managed to keep my attention for more than a month or so is EVE.
    Mekhdoc 220/27/70 Equip | Mekh 220/28/67 Equip | Shadesch 220/21/70 Equip
    Mekhkeeper 220/22/70 Equip | Roflmao 220/15/50 | Fixyaself 200/23/64 Equip

Quote Originally Posted by Mastablasta View Post
    Yeah, problem is I tried AO first, and now everything else is so stupidly simple in skill/equipment system I can't play them ;D
    Ekarona 220/30 Female Solitus Engineer, long term member of Northern Star and proper "poor" gimp.
    Ekaslave 220/low Female Solitus Trader, FLAT(TM) pricing TS, almost all can do!
    Ekaros almost there/almost there too Male Solitus Martial-Artist.
    Ekadv gimp/gimp Female Opifex Adventurer

I have to agree that there is much negativity going on, specially from vets. I've recently realized that I've become one of them, and will be trying very hard to change my ways.

My personal negative feelings about FC crashes with the respect I have for the Devs.

You can't say "AO is great" and then "FC sux" at the same time, because... AO is FC's creation and they have proven to be investing in the future of the game.

I'll continue on working AO related projects, but hopefully with a more positive outlook which with any luck will encourage other players, new and old... to think more positive about the game, the devs and Funcom.

And yes, most MMO's can't compare to AO's complexity, it's the "soul" of the game which has bewitched us for so long, and I can't think of any current or past MMO that can match it.

The only one that may be a contended, is The Secret World, which is another Funcom MMO.
    Twitch Channel - Youtube Channel - Twitter - Facebook - Pinterest
    AO Universe - By Players, For Players! The #1 AO Fansite Worldwide - Site Founder (Retired). | AOSpeak - Unofficial AO Teamspeak 3 Server - Founder (Retired). | AO Recipebook - In-Game Recipe/Tradeskill Bot - Founder (Retired).
    Founding member of the Council of Truth Clerical Staff.
    Keep in mind: My posts are my own personal views and thoughts.

If this was Statler and Waldorf then hell yeah!

AO does have something, it might not have shiny graphics, cant comment on sound/music as never have it on anymore, but the gameplay is what always brings me back after any breaks. Meeting some awesome folks even makes me log on to chat if too tired to actually play.

The learning curve is steep, which has stopped my few friends who tried it from staying but does tend to cut out the chaff from playerbase. Even with updates that should happen to AO, think gamers have mentality of maxing out characters & loot within two minutes of gameplay.
    Ra, ra, ra the bot,
    gently down the lag.
    Happily killing clammers,
    rezzing's such a drag.

Hongkong Phooy 220/27/70
    Codexier 60/6/14
    Whosgotammo 150/13/38

OK.. ill just file you under cynical and jaded.
    ¿

Quote Originally Posted by Demoder View Post
    I wish more people had this attitude.
    The community is what makes or breaks a MMO.

It would be wise to listen to Twinksta and try a positive approach on things. You'll even feel better afterwards, as you won't have the bittersweet taste of cynicism after every forum interaction.

Example:
    ITT: Delusions of grandeur and self importance.

P.S. I like the part where you are able use your PhD in Internet Psychology to expertly diagnose my attitudes and cynicism.

P.P.S Hypothetically speaking: If you were to go to some social event: Would you be likely to stay if people took themselves too seriously and called you a cynic if you didn't behave in the exact way they told you to?

Really, the way you're behaving seems just as, if not more, likely to be a problem to newcomers. If I came into a forum for a new game and saw some light trolling/sarcasm, I'd either lol, ignore, or move on (i.e., welcome to the interwebs). If I came into a new forum and saw some light trolling/sarcasm, to which the response was, "AO is DOOMED" and a witch-hunt for cynics, then, yeah, I might leave. You really have no idea about my attitudes or cynicism toward this game, the devs, or FC in general. Try again.
    Last edited by thandril; Mar 29th, 2012 at 19:35:15.

Quote Originally Posted by thandril View Post
    You really have no idea about my attitudes or cynicism toward this game, the devs, or FC in general. Try again.
    Sounds like someone's still reveling in the "I AM UNIQUE!" phase of puberty
    Screwed over for the last time.

Go find a new game to play, this one no longer deserves respect.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast