Thread: Why is AO eating up so much CPU now?

Why is AO eating up so much CPU now?

AO has never been a resource hog in any way for me. I usually run 3 clients without the fans ever turning on or lagging. Patch up today and running around i notice a slight lag, and then I hear my fans kick on. Go and check the process and it's running extremely high. AO usually only takes about 40k mem for me. 15-30ish CPU useage. Today it's running around 50% of my cpu and 200k+ mem useage. Am I playing AO or minecraft?

Edit: http://i.imgur.com/c2YB3.png

Edit 2: Turning fog on seems to fix the mem useage for the most part, taking it from 250k to 88k. Org member confirmed this as well.
    Edit 2.1: forgot to mention that CPU useage is still extremely high for AO standards.
    Last edited by Cdogg421; Oct 26th, 2011 at 18:58:36.
    Former Assistant Director of Pack of Noobs

Fake Friday with Means, and it worked!

Are you running in borderless mode? When I run AO in borderless it takes up much more resources.

No, I'm running it in normal windowed mode. This has something to do with the patch today because it was running just fine yesterday.

40k memory?

AO always used as close to 100% of the CPU core it was running on, that is the nature of games. Unless you vsync them, they will take up as much as they need to run. And AO is almost entirely CPU rendered.

Example : http://snake-oil.eu/temp/usage.jpg

Memoryfootprint is usualy 200ish->500ish megabyte. Depending on what's going on. For example, zoning from Borealis through grid to OA to Tir to ICC on test grew the client footprint to 530mb.
    As for it using all my cores, then Windows 7 loadbalances. If I set affinity for AO, the core it's on sits at 80-90% usage, and CPU usage stays at around 25%.

Previously you must've had some issues with your memory reporting or run the game on such barebone settings that it wouldn't matter.
    Last edited by Mastablasta; Oct 27th, 2011 at 10:25:53.
    Thor Mastablasta Hammersmith - Level 220, AI 30, LE 70 Clan Atrox Nano Technician - Setup
    The Red Brotherhood

I'm a Nano-Technician, don't ever expect me to fight unbuffed, alone or fair.

Means: about f'ing time :P
    Satenia: heresy <3
    Znore: Mastablasta <3
    Kinkstaah: I have agro from many mobs ;(
    Madarab: we are aoe class, we are supose to use pistols
    Marxgorm: the NT toolset does not fit into my raiding tactics

I'd agree with you if I didn't have an org m8 having the same exact issue. I do assign AO to 1 core and it rarely breaks 100k. I look at this all the time because i have to when I'm starting another client up. As for my settings, I run on medium, all effects on minus sound. You can try to treat me like a moron but I monitor this stuff all the time, and I know how AO runs on my computer. I even know how it runs in certain areas or PFs.

http://i.imgur.com/PzUZa.png <----- and this is high by it's normal standards.
    Last edited by Cdogg421; Oct 27th, 2011 at 01:39:12.

Yeah, I noticed also that the 3rd logged toon make me lag, getting spike, while before patch I could tri-log with ease, even more.
    Note that is appear only after the 3rd logged toon
    "Telemak" : 215 Soldier // "Anogineer" : 210 Engineer // "Abdominaux" : 199 Enforcer // "Doctordre" : 182 Doctor // "Zzzzzioon" : 174 Fixer // "Pandantatete" : 170 Agent // "Kickndie" : 150 Martial Artist // "Notoriouss" : 149 Martial Artist // "Xzibeat" : 150 Nano Technician // "Ilovefarming" : 128 Agent // "Rabijuice" : 75 Keeper // "Zzzengy" : 60 Engineer // "Shanasha" : 55 Soldier // "Abdominus" : 46 Enforcer

Quote Originally Posted by Cdogg421 View Post
    I'd agree with you if I didn't have an org m8 having the same exact issue. I do assign AO to 1 core and it rarely breaks 100k. I look at this all the time because i have to when I'm starting another client up. As for my settings, I run on medium, all effects on minus sound. You can try to treat me like a moron but I monitor this stuff all the time, and I know how AO runs on my computer. I even know how it runs in certain areas or PFs.

http://i.imgur.com/PzUZa.png <----- and this is high by it's normal standards.
    What resolution, did you change that? Or is it the same. There's just a rather bizarre disparity here, where some people claim that AO uses only 30% CPU and 40mb RAM when the last 10 years of experience with AO on many different systems have shown that AO uses as close to 100% CPU as possible, on one core, and eats up around 4-500mb RAM. It used to use less RAM when it used smaller textures, but as stuff has been implemented, it started using up more. It used a lot more RAM in the past also, when it didn't let stuff go after zoning, but it's clear that something has been changed in the current engine in the last patches. Lighting now works properly, and there's been work done on the tower effects and such.
    So, it could be using more, but it's maybe possible to find some sort of resource limiter... wo knows.
    Thor Mastablasta Hammersmith - Level 220, AI 30, LE 70 Clan Atrox Nano Technician - Setup
    The Red Brotherhood

I'm a Nano-Technician, don't ever expect me to fight unbuffed, alone or fair.

Means: about f'ing time :P
    Satenia: heresy <3
    Znore: Mastablasta <3
    Kinkstaah: I have agro from many mobs ;(
    Madarab: we are aoe class, we are supose to use pistols
    Marxgorm: the NT toolset does not fit into my raiding tactics

The memory readings are fine. You see 236'000Kbyte - thats 236Mbyte, not 236Kbyte. Which is normal. Right now, after round about two dozen zones, I see 650Mbyte.

Your previous readings of 40Mbyte only happens when you sit in one zone and AFK all day long. It increases with every zone. Been always like that.
    ಠ_ಠ

@masta I didn't change any settings, just noticed it like that after coming back from inf.

and @warhead, I just explained this in my above post, my stats that i went off is not about sitting afk or anything like that. I look at them when I run through underwater ado, tara, or other such laggy areas.