Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Friday with Means - August 26th, 2011 - Tir work

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Means View Post
    Just a quick one this week to showcase some of the work done recently upgrading the buildings in Tir. Only one significant building left in this city..then only the small little things to complete the overall look. The "important step" work this week has been taking "old" animated statels and producing new versions of them rigged in the new system to make the animations work...the first test item for this was the "pumps" at the side of the FAIR-trade building in Tir...seeing this work and getting a process in place for these items has been difficult but an important learning experience for the team.
    What is it with this Tir, bor, and etc upgrades?

Show us rome and Omni HQ already!

No but seriously, looking great. If this makes it out before servers come to their final close ( :!) I will definitly be back playing. Screw grades and homework and cancer research.

Thumbs up for this FWM

-----

MWAHAHAHA first 2nd page! Suckahs!
    Last edited by Corporative; Aug 26th, 2011 at 17:20:42. Reason: 0o looky

Ooooo shinies
    Point Blank

Oh wow, some progress did happen. Guess everything is gonna be fine! Shut up you stupid trolls.
    Now, one of the reasons we’ve spent the last month arguing about the debt ceiling is that half of the "teabag" Congress signed a vow to never raise taxes. Someone just handed them something and it wasn’t a gun, a crucifix or a fetus — so they signed it. Why? "Because we’re rugged individuals who love freedom. Now excuse us while we sign this document swearing to do as we’re told." --Bill Maher

Quote Originally Posted by DaviasI View Post
    W00t First page! Nice buildings, so when does the expansion pack come out that adds destructible buildings so can I make them go boom?
    Sounds like you like your Battlefield. Not too long now until BF3 comes out and you can make all the boom you want.
    Prosthetics:: 220/23/48 Doctor -Now Atrox and loving it!
    Slaveofhate:: 214/22/56 Shade -Progress (still)
    Otdude:: 150/9/35ish Soldier - Froob-to-paid
    Incellie:: 131/0/0 Meta-Physicist -Froob-to-paid

Quote Originally Posted by quieter456 View Post
    Oh wow, some progress did happen. Guess everything is gonna be fine! Shut up you stupid trolls.
    Probably just showing us renders of stuff they had ready 2 years ago.

Clans get too much love in these engine screenshots. Where's some Omni-1?

Or show us the only city anyone uses these days, Borealis.

Quote Originally Posted by Satertek View Post
    Clans get too much love in these engine screenshots. Where's some Omni-1?

Or show us the only city anyone uses these days, Borealis.
    Clan took the first three years of the engine. Move along till its your three years!
    Pheddex 220/30/70 trox agent equip

Pheddy 220/30/70 soli crat equip

Pheddette 164/19/42 opi trader equip

Lavidaloco 150/17/30 opi agent equip

Tinytall 200/25/70 opi advy equip

Despite killer lag and my client crashing repeatedly I'm still in a good mood and refuse to troll! Pictures are nice.
    I'm a Froob Neutral Trade Skilling Nanomage Engineer- by definition I hide round corners and let the bot do the fighting.

Hopefully that 'One Significant Building' is the CoT building and they can do a really good makeover on it. Would be nice if they also made the top solid and tweak the interior to have accessible upper floor balconies and halls.
    Dagget
    President,
    Venice Academy

This was boring.
    The Fine Arts:
    Mime | Surgery | Zen
    The Traitor

Xirayne: I couldn't care less about who is clueless or what the exact definition "real" pvp is in ao, I want "fun" pvp!

Quote Originally Posted by Dagget View Post
    Hopefully that 'One Significant Building' is the CoT building and they can do a really good makeover on it. Would be nice if they also made the top solid and tweak the interior to have accessible upper floor balconies and halls.
    Yes from the Montral Borealis vid, I take it they arnt changing too many buildings' architecture correctomundo? I mean Rome pretty much sucks compared to Old Athens with its trees, etc, is there any hope for improved artwork/design on the skyscrapers etc? Cause when I read prophet and read about whats his face looking out of his office window with the creepy droid, I didnt picture him to be in the building that you see when you go to rome : \ .

So coulds we gets some clarifications on this?

Funcom employee

Quote Originally Posted by Corporative View Post
    Yes from the Montral Borealis vid, I take it they arnt changing too many buildings' architecture correctomundo? I mean Rome pretty much sucks compared to Old Athens with its trees, etc, is there any hope for improved artwork/design on the skyscrapers etc? Cause when I read prophet and read about whats his face looking out of his office window with the creepy droid, I didnt picture him to be in the building that you see when you go to rome : \ .

So coulds we gets some clarifications on this?
    We have to keep the relative shape and dimensions of any of the buildings we recreate because we have to keep the *collision* of these buildings intact - The instant we start screwing with the collision meshes of the buildings we start running into major headaches with mission entrances no longer working, mobs spawning inside collision, whole nine yards.

That said, we are doing 'brush ups' to the overall look and feel of the assets as we go along - We're trying to remain faithful to the style and appearance that's already there while attempting to make them more detailed and interesting (and letting us utilize some of the new shinies that the engine upgrade affords us). In the specific example of Omni cities, a while ago we put out a few preview renders of the Omni-Entertainment which you can check out here: http://forums.anarchy-online.com/sho...d.php?t=588559 <-- Again, the buildings retain their same basic shape and form, but now we can put in enhanced details in the textures and overall geometry of the buildings.

So yes - Improvements where we can and feel they're needed. =)
    Last edited by Kintaii; Aug 26th, 2011 at 22:21:52.
    Brad L. McAtee / Kintaii
    Former Senior AO Designer & Jack of All Trades
    (2007 - 2012)
    ~~ Twitter :: Facebook :: Norse Noir ~~

Quote Originally Posted by Kotts View Post
    Ooooo shinies
    ^^This
    Gunfytr 220/30/70 Soldier Lawdog80 220/30/70 Advy
    Quote Originally Posted by Kintaii View Post
    Because we said so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarrina View Post
    I am unamused. I strongly suggest you don't unamuse me further
    Quote Originally Posted by Means View Post
    This nano blocks CH. This is intended.

Cool

We have to keep the relative shape and dimensions of any of the buildings we recreate because we have to keep the *collision* of these buildings intact - The instant we start screwing with the collision meshes of the buildings we start running into major headaches with mission entrances no longer working, mobs spawning inside collision, whole nine yards.

That said, we are doing 'brush ups' to the overall look and feel of the assets as we go along - We're trying to remain faithful to the style and appearance that's already there while attempt to make them more detailed and interesting (and letting us utilize some of the new shinies that the engine upgrade affords us). In the specific example of Omni cities, a while ago we put out a few preview renders of the Omni-Entertainment which you can check out here: http://forums.anarchy-online.com/sho...d.php?t=588559 <-- Again, the buildings retain their same basic shape and form, but now we can put in enhanced details in the textures and overall geometry of the buildings.

So yes - Improvements where we can and feel they're needed. =)

Holy Cannoli! I got an answer from Kintaii!

Much appreciated sir! The collision stuff actually makes sense to me.
    Last edited by Corporative; Aug 26th, 2011 at 22:15:10. Reason: kintaii*

The CoT building stands well off by itself and we're not looking for any change to the apparent outer walls, just some interior adjustments (stairs or such)
    Dagget
    President,
    Venice Academy

cant wait for the new look on building and items to hit live, i play this game to use houers to look stare on em, cant wait!....

here is a funny joke, and i dont mean it!!
    what about work on the game mechnics more and use the budget on people to complete this insted of changing the look on items etc..

Funcom employee

Quote Originally Posted by Le-Quack View Post
    what about work on the game mechnics more and use the budget on people to complete this insted of changing the look on items etc..
    That part is really simple - While other people, such as coders, do coding work, and while people like artists make artwork, designers go and design. We're not going to fire our artists to hire more designers any more than we're going to fire our designers to hire more coders because that would be completely and utterly counter-productive and is in no way, shape, or form how making a game works at all - You need all three types of employees to manage and create content for a game. So while the artists make art and the coders make code the designers (such as myself) design.

Quote Originally Posted by Dagget View Post
    The CoT building stands well off by itself and we're not looking for any change to the apparent outer walls, just some interior adjustments (stairs or such)
    Updating the outer appearance of a building and changing the 'inside of a building' is a completely, wholly separate process and works in a vastly different fashion from creating the exteriours. While we are looking at changing and enhancing the various floor/wall/ceiling textures used through-out AO to utilize the new shinies, any worldbuilding work done is a separate task/job and doesn't fall under the banner of the work the guys are doing creating new assets for the engine.
    Last edited by Kintaii; Aug 26th, 2011 at 23:23:43.
    Brad L. McAtee / Kintaii
    Former Senior AO Designer & Jack of All Trades
    (2007 - 2012)
    ~~ Twitter :: Facebook :: Norse Noir ~~

nother very simple part...
    and the customers pay...

Why is there a Fair-Trade in Tir? Sentinals shoot non-clanners on sight. That's not exactly fair.
    Because Race Yalm

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast