Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Confused about the storyline (storyline q&a itt)

I don't rp, but i really enjoyed reading this thread. I really wish there was some sort of lore site that i could read all of this info.

Indeed. The story line of Anarchy Online is quite hazy to be honest. Altought it has more to do with the lack of a proper centralized source of information (official) than with the lack of stories to be told or remembered or the lack of available documentation.

I mean everything is out there. It just takes a huge effort to put the spread out pieces togheter.

It would involve reading countless quest scripts, FC staff forum posts, an entire book, the description of a gazillion items (most of them shop vendor stuff, that give away hints about the technology, corporate politics, history lesson of the universe itself etc.)

And after all that you would need to catalogue all the information into a proper timeline-topic system.

It would be something of a full time job like undertaking. I dont know about others, but myself have a job and a family, i could never have the time to even atempt it. AO Wiki would be a could place to start to get all the information up into. But it would have to be a larger community effort.

A wiki for this stuff would be great. If there was a call for it and an agreed-upon place, I'd happily edit/add to it. Otherwise - as said - it's a massive, massive job.

There's a couple of AO wikis around with very outdated lore articles, but I never had the motivation to edit them. We could do with an official wiki, really.

The other problem is what actually counts as canon. For example: in my (strong) opinion "FC staff forum posts" are not lore.
    Advisor of Lumen Orien

Quote Originally Posted by Redesine View Post
    There's a couple of AO wikis around with very outdated lore articles, but I never had the motivation to edit them. We could do with an official wiki, really.
    I agree, an official one would be best, but I don't know if we'll ever get that. If the existing one(s?) weren't so out of date, I'd say we just build on one of them, but otherwise, maybe restarting a new (With forum color scheme? :P) would work best. If people called for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Redesine View Post
    The other problem is what actually counts as canon. For example: in my (strong) opinion "FC staff forum posts" are not lore.
    Could have a "Theories" section, or something. Separate it by who's theory it is, or something.

Well... I was playing with the idea for some time to create a webpage with all of the info about AO lore/backstory/theories and such. I even gotten a url (hasn't expired yet) aorpdb.info (abbrevations ftw).

I was tho' mostly thinking about it being a forum with portal and stuff like aouniverse mostly. I want some people tho' to help as I do not have enough time atm to do everything alone. As for the wiki besides the fact that I don't like them for several reasons (not user friendly etc) I have no idea how to create them. But if people want a wiki then a wiki it is. Just tell me if some people would help me out filling the gaps (official stuff but also player run events) I would love it...

It's something I was thinking about doing for ~3 years now but never got anyone to help (tried only with in-game messages) so I left it be. I think this is something that is needed with all those stuff available to us. So... Just gather up people (I could buy another domain if aorpdb.info is not good for you people )
    Current RP characters:
    Alyssa "Aloyce" Nemesio "offworld"
    Logan "Cosmicfreak" Stritzke
    Celia "Naleana"
    Cellante

If there's someone to host this project, I'd be up for writing/researching/editing etc. etc.
    Advisor of Lumen Orien

Quote Originally Posted by Kintaii View Post
    Neither Aythem nor I can find the direct quote, but the first time The Beast was killed there was a global broadcast on the servers that said something to the effect of "you feel a million voices scream out in pain and then die" or somethin' like that.
    Many thousand voices scream into your ears in agony and pain...

In case anyone was wondering.
    Dagger 220/30/70 Shade // Attempted 219/24/?? Enforcer // Canidae 180/0/0 Adventurer // World 185/26/32 Meta-Physicist// Cramp 150/20/35 Engineer
    Ya wanna fix something - give RK mobs better xp, make RK matter again.

Quote Originally Posted by Mamman View Post
    Give shades love or we will stop buffing people!!

Made a wiki at http://wiki.rubi-ka.net.
    I won't have time to write stuff myself (baby takes all my time) but just send me a PM or mail at novagen@omni-pol.net if any administrative stuff is needed.
    John 'Novagen' Wright
    Currently on leave from Omni-Pol
    Omni-Tek Representative
    Chair of the Omni Organisational Committee

The Leet - Chat client for Android
    People of Rubi-Ka Revamped

Grid mail: novagen@omni-pol.net

Quote Originally Posted by Trousers View Post
    Kintaii mentioned here that there are old notes which indicate the Aliens are not from our universe. If they are in fact from an alternate universe they may know how to monitor for The Source because they have control of the one from their Universe. Adding a second would be a force multiplier.

Or, alternatively, The Source may not be as unique as we think it is. I expand on that idea here.

In either of the above cases, it would indicate that The Source is not unique in an absolute sense which would allow for the Aliens to have studied one and learned how to search for additional ones.
    Yeah, when they retconned the origin of the hole in Adonis, they lost a few things like the origin of brink mobs and novictum. There used to be an excellent thread on SL lore in the Knowledge Database section, but 1) major events have been retconned, and 2) the thread eventually devolved into quest help.

The Inferno yuttos quests do link the aliens to a major SL player. Hint: You've met his right hand man, and his children.

Ive been wondering wether the clans that went into the outzones are actually still alive? Not being heard of doesnt mean dead.

Also this is the first time im mixing myself into the storyline since im reading the book for the first time im not done yet but it reads fast and i had noticed people questioning what davids mission is. The book so far hasnt given me an answer yet but it does seem to suggest a general direction. Hes been fighting for the freedom of slavery before and his mothers dreams were he was going to be part of a new beginning. As there are many references in the book that seem to show that the shadowlands are a representation of earth and farmatek (omnitek?) was the firm that did the damage his mission in my mind would be destroying omnitek.

A cool passage from the dustbrigade is that omnitek are the bad guys for the slavery and such, the clans are bad for their peace talks, the neutrals are bad for not doing anything at all. My guess is that David is the leader of the dustbrigade as hes lead wars before as stated in the book.

What do other people know about the truth of any of this. Stuff that points in other directions? Or could i be on to something at all here? Ive not read such a theory on the forums yet but ive only been looking for 2 days now
    Metafly7 220/30/70 "E"

Advfly7 170/19/42 "E"

Proud member of ~Spirit~ Rubi-Ka Atlantean

Anarchy proves this quote wrong: "War would end if the dead could return." ~ Stanley Baldwin

Welcome to the Storyline.

To address your questions about the Clans - We're not 100% sure.

We know Omni-Tek use to operate mining operations in the outzone but they were abandoned because they were "deemed to dangerous".

We also know from the Alien Playfields that you need special protection in order to survive the radiation you would otherwise be exposed to.

If I had to make an assumption, It'd be something like this:

The Clans that left did not have access to the same Nano Technology that Unicorn Company has access to so they lack the Protection Nano.

Without the Protection Nano we know you can have limited success surviving in the Outzone if you have access to some form of shelter (Building in the mining camp, caves, etc).

If the Clans simply walked off, unprotected, they're dead. Assuming they were not abducted by a third party (Dusters, Unicorns, Redeemed, Aliens, etc).
    TOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOT
    OTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTO|||||||||||||||
    TOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOT|||||||||||
    OTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTO|||||||||||||||||||||Serve Omni-Tek
    TOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOT||||||||||||||||||||Join the ROTFLMAO
    OTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTO||||||||
    TOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOT|||||||||||||||||||||||||
    OTOTOTOTOTOTO TOTOTOTOTOTO||||||||||||||||
    OTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTO|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

I think it's a safe bet the Pilgrims have the tech to survive in the outzones, they already had developed a line of advanced Pilgrim armor in the past, and weren't about to go there just to perish.
    Dagget
    President,
    Venice Academy

Quote Originally Posted by Dagget View Post
    I think it's a safe bet the Pilgrims have the tech to survive in the outzones, they already had developed a line of advanced Pilgrim armor in the past, and weren't about to go there just to perish.
    Dagget, Grab a set of the armor and head to the Outzone PFs, let me know if it shields you from the Environmental effects

People assumedly knew how bad it was outthere. I agree, you wouldn't go out full force without being relatively sure you will be okay.
    -Tanisthonus. 212MP. Unity of the Rose. Atlantean.

Quote Originally Posted by Tanisthonus View Post
    People assumedly knew how bad it was outthere. I agree, you wouldn't go out full force without being relatively sure you will be okay.
    Just playing devil's advocate, since its all a grey area, but, I'd say it's pretty darn bad when Omni-Tek, who treats people as Material Resources, said its too dangerous to work out there.

I doubt they'd shed tears for the workers, but would drop big alligator rainfall level tears for the loss of equipment.
    Towerblock, 220/30/70 Engineer
    President of Steadfast

And way too many alts...

Omni seems to always have been pampered in everything they had and pamperedness leads to a lower tollerance for what is concidered dangerous?
    Metafly7 220/30/70 "E"

Advfly7 170/19/42 "E"

Proud member of ~Spirit~ Rubi-Ka Atlantean

Anarchy proves this quote wrong: "War would end if the dead could return." ~ Stanley Baldwin

Quote Originally Posted by Metafly7 View Post
    Omni seems to always have been pampered in everything they had and pamperedness leads to a lower tollerance for what is concidered dangerous?
    Well, let's not forgot the whole Civil War thing started because a mine collapsed on a bunch of Atroxes and Omni-Tek was all "So what? It was only a gaggle of Atrox.". So, their tolerance has been pretty high in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by Trousers View Post
    Well, let's not forgot the whole Civil War thing started because a mine collapsed on a bunch of Atroxes and Omni-Tek was all "So what? It was only a gaggle of Atrox.". So, their tolerance has been pretty high in the past.
    I'm with them, its not like they were solitus.

Pretty darn bad, yes, but we have the shields now, who is to say pilgrim's didn't have a brwakthroughh?
    -Tanisthonus. 212MP. Unity of the Rose. Atlantean.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast