Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Friday with Means - July 15th, 2011 - New Stuff

I can haz new engine pwetty plox?

Quote Originally Posted by Mangoslurpy View Post
    I can haz new engine pwetty plox?
    And agent-docs...*taps foot*

Quote Originally Posted by Siahanor View Post
    Funny, since AO was exactly like that inthe beginning before EVE even existed.
    then i certainly don't see the point in comparing apples to oranges.

AO as it is now is nothing like EVE.

The idea will only please a minority.
    Freedom or death!
    Anything then being an Omni Tek Corporate slave!

Created 2005-11-16 (paid main that's all mine )
    Created 2005-02-03 (froobie)
    Created 2007-10-11 (second paid account because i wanted a freaking shade :P)

What Siahanor either doesn't know or isn't saying is that yes, in 2001 if you were killed in PVP, your killer had a chance to loot some of the items off your corpse before the reclaim system kicked in. I don't know if this ever made it out of beta, but the playerbase screamed bloody murder about it until FC removed it. After that, all you got occasionally upon looting a corpse in PVP was an XP Pinky. And that's the way it was for awhile, until, even the Pinky passed (when XP got pooled instead, I bet)/ Now, even the reclaim system is gone, replaced by the mail terminal.

Good riddance, I say, though I do miss "Social Time" at the reclaim terminal. Why you were waiting for Rez Shock to end and to get your stuff out of the terminal.:P
    The Independent Rubikans - The oldest Neutral Org on RK1! 10.5 years and counting!

Namiru - 210/30/58 Neutral Solitus Martial Artist, Advisor - Always accepting new students in the Art
    Thalona - 199/25/40 Neutral Solitus Meta-Physicist, Veteran - Pondering higher thought
    Weefleboy - 150/20/40 Neutral Opifex Fixer, Member - Wheeling and Dealing somewhere on RK.
    Johnnysokko - 60/6/14 Neutral Solitus Engineer, Member - Still trying to twink that Slayer on.
    Keepdafaith - 60/6/14 Neutral Atrox Keeper, Member - IR Temple Services
    Powerbender - 100/6/14 Neutral Nanomage Nano-Technician, Member
    Deleetful - 65/7/14 Neutral Solitus Adventurer, Applicant
    Lumbergh - 60/5/10 Neutral Nanomage Bureaucrat, Applicant - "M'yeah, I'm going to have to ask that you go ahead and come into work on Saturday...that would be great..."

Quote Originally Posted by Hannavald View Post
    Yeah right. {removed} If faction wide raidbot cant get enough numbers, its fair to assume, its impossible.
    The org I am in just joined one a month ago. There are plenty of active orgs to join.
    Proud member of New Order since 2009.

Quote Originally Posted by Namiru View Post
    What Siahanor either doesn't know or isn't saying is that yes, in 2001 if you were killed in PVP, your killer had a chance to loot some of the items off your corpse before the reclaim system kicked in. I don't know if this ever made it out of beta, but the playerbase screamed bloody murder about it until FC removed it. After that, all you got occasionally upon looting a corpse in PVP was an XP Pinky. And that's the way it was for awhile, until, even the Pinky passed (when XP got pooled instead, I bet)/ Now, even the reclaim system is gone, replaced by the mail terminal.

Good riddance, I say, though I do miss "Social Time" at the reclaim terminal. Why you were waiting for Rez Shock to end and to get your stuff out of the terminal.:P
    I very much remember being able to lose things in the very beginning and was so glad it didn't last long. If that were still around today, with the way end game content and raid content works, there would be a lot more rage quitting from the game than we have even now.

I still have one of those xp pinky's kicking it around somewhere. Probably in the same backpack with my gunship
    AO Universe - By Players, For Players! The #1 AO fansite worldwide - Site Manager || Follow us on Twitter and Facebook!

I started in 2004 and corpses killed via pvp were lootable for abit even after I started so it did make it out of beta. I remember people intentionally getting flagged and ganking NT's in Ely for their ingots. IIRC, I think if you had a nodrop item in your backpack then it wouldn't be lootable.
    You can find me at:
    Battlenet @ Marilata#1680
    Steam @ http://steamcommunity.com/id/marilata

They where lootable. Thats how trading nodrops worked heh.
    For every complex problem, there is a solution that is simple, neat, and wrong. - H.L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by omegahealer View Post
    then i certainly don't see the point in comparing apples to oranges.

AO as it is now is nothing like EVE.

The idea will only please a minority.
    I didn't say AO as it is now.

I was simply replying to those who somehow think EVE did something AO didn't, when in fact AO did it first.

And I agree, it would only please a minority. I don't even PvP, so it doesn't bother me one way or another. I stay out of low gas zones and PvP areas and I don't duel, so the chances anyone would ever be looting me if they brought the system back would be slim to none.

But looking at the numbers of that "minority" who play EVE compared to the numbers of the "majority" who play AO, I'd take EVE's numbers any day of the week.

The direction that AO has taken is complete anathema to a free-looting system though.
    Thor Mastablasta Hammersmith - Level 220, AI 30, LE 70 Clan Atrox Nano Technician - Setup
    The Red Brotherhood

I'm a Nano-Technician, don't ever expect me to fight unbuffed, alone or fair.

Means: about f'ing time :P
    Satenia: heresy <3
    Znore: Mastablasta <3
    Kinkstaah: I have agro from many mobs ;(
    Madarab: we are aoe class, we are supose to use pistols
    Marxgorm: the NT toolset does not fit into my raiding tactics

but all those people in EVE play EVE cause of EVE....
    They will not look for a game that tried mashing something in it that does not fit....

If you want to look at other games, look at WoW's lootsystem since they have so many more subscribers...
    Freedom or death!
    Anything then being an Omni Tek Corporate slave!

Created 2005-11-16 (paid main that's all mine )
    Created 2005-02-03 (froobie)
    Created 2007-10-11 (second paid account because i wanted a freaking shade :P)

Quote Originally Posted by Traderjill View Post
    I started in 2004 and corpses killed via pvp were lootable for abit even after I started so it did make it out of beta. I remember people intentionally getting flagged and ganking NT's in Ely for their ingots. IIRC, I think if you had a nodrop item in your backpack then it wouldn't be lootable.
    Hmm...then they must have brought it back while I was away from game due to financial reasons. In 2002, all you got is an XP Pinky. I still have one in my bank, that I keep for sentimental reasons.
    The Independent Rubikans - The oldest Neutral Org on RK1! 10.5 years and counting!

Namiru - 210/30/58 Neutral Solitus Martial Artist, Advisor - Always accepting new students in the Art
    Thalona - 199/25/40 Neutral Solitus Meta-Physicist, Veteran - Pondering higher thought
    Weefleboy - 150/20/40 Neutral Opifex Fixer, Member - Wheeling and Dealing somewhere on RK.
    Johnnysokko - 60/6/14 Neutral Solitus Engineer, Member - Still trying to twink that Slayer on.
    Keepdafaith - 60/6/14 Neutral Atrox Keeper, Member - IR Temple Services
    Powerbender - 100/6/14 Neutral Nanomage Nano-Technician, Member
    Deleetful - 65/7/14 Neutral Solitus Adventurer, Applicant
    Lumbergh - 60/5/10 Neutral Nanomage Bureaucrat, Applicant - "M'yeah, I'm going to have to ask that you go ahead and come into work on Saturday...that would be great..."

I have to agree that it was taken out before 2004 since when Shadowlands was released in 2003, the most you could loot off of a body was this random piece of notum that had a leg slot wear requirement and it turned your name red to show you had a lootable item on you.
    AO Universe - By Players, For Players! The #1 AO fansite worldwide - Site Manager || Follow us on Twitter and Facebook!

I remember looting a Leet Pie of My Org President for laughs once, I didn't start playing till 2005 and I didn't join that org until 2007, so it was still available, pretty much up until around the time they removed reclaim.

It may even still be possible if people have stuff left in reclaim.

I remember thinking it was strange that I had managed to loot it though.
    Ebondevil - Omni Level 220 Agent on Atlantean, Feel free to contact me any time if you have questions, in game or out.
    Varinox - Omni Level 220 Meta-Physicist on Atlantean
    Yamarra - Omni Level 150 Shade on Atlantean

Feel free to send me any tell in game or a Private Message if you require anything.

Specific items yes, but in general, no. I think that's what is being said

Well being that I started in 2004 and people were ganking NT's in Ely for their backpacks of ingots.. I'm going to have to say that PvP corpse looting was indeed in game.

I hate to be repetitive but the only way to avoid someone being able to loot a backpack of items was to place at least 1 nodrop item within that backpack. I'll have to find it later, but there was a guy that actually lost a RBP that way.

I think those that think that it was removed back in 2001 are mistaken. There were huge deals being made off the fact that while you couldn't loot nodrops that were loose in the person's inventory, you could delete them from the corpose and thus they wouldn't appear in their reclaim.
    You can find me at:
    Battlenet @ Marilata#1680
    Steam @ http://steamcommunity.com/id/marilata

Looting corpses was definitely ingame when I started in early 2004.
    Awwww muffin, need a tissue?

Question Inivisible Walls!

Hey there! I recently got back to AO after a 6-year long break from it and the first thing I noticed after making a new character and starting on Rubi-Ka, was that the whole of the newbie islands cliff walls are covered in an invisible wall which prevents moving to the actual wall but also prevents targeting a mob. My questions is; will you be fixing stuff like this for the new engine?

Quote Originally Posted by JuizziK View Post
    Hey there! I recently got back to AO after a 6-year long break from it and the first thing I noticed after making a new character and starting on Rubi-Ka, was that the whole of the newbie islands cliff walls are covered in an invisible wall which prevents moving to the actual wall but also prevents targeting a mob. My questions is; will you be fixing stuff like this for the new engine?
    There will be a new starter experience, meaning that noob island either will be heavily modified or scratched altogether.
    Twitch Channel - Youtube Channel - Twitter - Facebook - Pinterest
    AO Universe - By Players, For Players! The #1 AO Fansite Worldwide - Site Founder (Retired). | AOSpeak - Unofficial AO Teamspeak 3 Server - Founder (Retired). | AO Recipebook - In-Game Recipe/Tradeskill Bot - Founder (Retired).
    Founding member of the Council of Truth Clerical Staff.
    Keep in mind: My posts are my own personal views and thoughts.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Windguaerd View Post
    There will be a new starter experience, meaning that noob island either will be heavily modified or scratched altogether.
    Ahh very nice to hear that! Thx a bunch

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast