Thread: Client / Launcher fooling me, no dimensions

Client / Launcher fooling me, no dimensions

Hello,

since the last patch I'm having serious troubles.
    First, when I tried to patch to the current one, I got a message that it couldn't connect to -any- server to get the patch and if that persists, I should contact the support. I did, got a list with the patches and ao-repair. Both refused to work, but for some odd reason I could patch up somehow. Then it ran fine a couple times, but every now and then it asked me to patch again. Since I got tired of that issue, I did a re-install today, including a new download.
    Now, the only thing I get is the launcher -without- the dimension choice. Didn't pay attention the first time I reinstalled tonight, and ended up with Test Server. Kicked that out and rinse/repeat.

It don't matter if I put all the security settings down or even disable my antivirus... just won't work. Described the problem to support, but still waiting for an answer and I'm seriously going nuts here.

Thanks for any ideas.

Btw, game folder is on a separate partition from the OS.

Oh, now I finally get an dimension showing, and the error message "could not find the requested patch on any of the specified patch-servers."
    Thaylia - Martial Artist
    Spellseeker - Nanotechnician
    Kahja - Doctor

"Authenticity is achieved by saying what you´re doing, and doing what you´re saying." - Johannes Rau
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~
    Socializer 80%, Explorer 53%, Achiever 53%, Killer 13%

Well I am afraid i can't help you whit your network problem allthought I would contact your ISP and se what they might be up to.

Also you can find all exe patches from 18.1.1 in this post
    http://forums.anarchyonline.com/showthread.php?t=586259

if you need any earlier exe patches you can find them on this page
    http://www.anarchy-online.com/wsp/an...1005,1070,1089

Hope this helps a little.

After contact with the techsupport, throwing away -all- AO files and doing download, installations and prefs (still working on that one) from scratch, I still get the Test Launcher occasionly, asking to patch.

I'm totally out of ideas, and I'm starting to think that the trouble is caused by the latest patch, since everything was running just smooth before that.

Any suggestions? Tried out all recommended things, like deleting the file mentioned in the launcher, replacing dimensions file etc etc.

Thanks
    Thaylia - Martial Artist
    Kahja - Doctor

"Authenticity is achieved by saying what you´re doing, and doing what you´re saying." - Johannes Rau

Still struggling with getting directed to the Test Server Launcher every now and then.
    Tried out several installs, including copying a fully patched one from a friend, which at least don't declare itself to a Small Client which will still run the expansions.

Here's some basic info again:
    - game has never been installed on C:\
    - I never duplicated on this box to use the Test server
    - AV (Kasperksy) got a complete uninstall and updated to the newest vesion w/o using the old settings
    - tried with UAC and AV turned off completely, no change
    - OS has been installed from scratch on a brandnew HD end of May
    - system is a Core 2 Duo 3.00 with 6GB RAM, Nvidia Gforce GTX 275
    - tried out different partitions and even my 2nd HD, no difference
    - tried also to delete that logfile in the AO folder, checked the dimension info too

I'm out of ideas. Anyone got a tip?

Greets,
    Thaylia - Martial Artist
    Kahja - Doctor

Since 2 days I got the same problem. In the evening I log in with the normal Launcher..but if I try it a second time...I got the testserver launcher....If I wait and keep trying I get the lifeserver launcher after 20-30 min...
    I tried all the things written above. :/
    Angler - Level 220/30 Adventurer - RK 3-> RK 1 -> RK - PVP Equip - DMG Equip

What I could find out so far is that it seems as if the link to the host is "taking the wrong route" sometimes if that makes any sense. It tries to connect to the server/host, then for some reason gets the Test Server data. Even the dimensions.txt changes completely and shows US Server etc for Test.

I got absolutely no clue what causes that change.
    Thaylia - Martial Artist
    Kahja - Doctor

that's what I found out too...it's frustating...my team is waiting 20 min already for me to log back on..I'm the tank^^

Hey Angler,

any news from your end? Got the problem solved? Because mine is still there...

I'll drag my box over to a friend this weekend and see if the ISP has something to do with it.

Greets,
    Thay
    Thaylia - Martial Artist
    Kahja - Doctor

I try to play one char for an evening...cause it's annoying if everybody has to wait half an hour for me..

so still the same problem here... :/

Topic is still not solved, and it's annoying the living daylight out of me.
    ISP says there's no problem at their end... I wonder what's still causing this?

Do I have to live with a good chance that I get pointed to test server just when I want to relog or swap accounts?

Would be nice to have a solution anytime soon...
    Thaylia - Martial Artist
    Kahja - Doctor

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Thaylia View Post
    What I could find out so far is that it seems as if the link to the host is "taking the wrong route" sometimes if that makes any sense. It tries to connect to the server/host, then for some reason gets the Test Server data. Even the dimensions.txt changes completely and shows US Server etc for Test.

I got absolutely no clue what causes that change.
    Have you tried to flush your DNS cache?
    Don't mind me. I'm just passin' through.
    ::CLAN ADV :Chairman's Prize for Holy LOL recipient: RK-I::
    The Red Brotherhood
    If this is gonna be that kind of party, I'm gonna stick my leet in the mashed potatoes.”

Quote Originally Posted by Thaylia View Post
    I'll drag my box over to a friend this weekend and see if the ISP has something to do with it.
    Does your friend use a different ISP?
    What was the result of this test?
    ::: My Tools & Stuff :::
    ::: Cratine Savagedheals Enfine Zoewrangle Demoder :: Solitron Demotionform :: IRC Demoder Savagedlight :::
    ::: AOItems :: Blog :: CIDB :: HelpBot :: ItemsBot :: PlanetMap Viewer :: Tower Wars :: Twitter :::

When I heard that my sister had the same trouble with using the same ISP, but on a different machine and OS and Angler too with the same ISP, plus my really busy schedule atm I put that idea on hold.
    I'm not sure if I manage it this weekend, since she is moving next week and I'm helping to renovate her new apt. She is using the same ISP as I do currently.

I called the ISP and told them about it, and after a while they replied that they don't use anything like a cache etc. Well, question is if that's true or she just wanted me to shut up.
    Thaylia - Martial Artist
    Kahja - Doctor

Talking

If you use the instructions that I recommended a few posts above, I promise that it takes only a little time and will not cause you to lose your connection to everything else. It solved the problem for others. If you have a bad time with the command, *poke* me on AOSpeak.
    Don't mind me. I'm just passin' through.
    ::CLAN ADV :Chairman's Prize for Holy LOL recipient: RK-I::
    The Red Brotherhood
    If this is gonna be that kind of party, I'm gonna stick my leet in the mashed potatoes.”

Did that the other night when we talked about it, remember? At first it seemed to help, but on the long run the error occured again.
    Thaylia - Martial Artist
    Kahja - Doctor

Problem ist still there...

Alright - Patch Day!

- disabled UAC, restarted the computer
    - shut down the AntiVirus (Kaspersky 2012)
    - hit the patch button - and guess what: I found the file "AnarchyPatcher.err" in the game folder which contains the following:

[16:32:52] Commandline: AnarchyPatcher.exe 18.4.8_EP1
    [16:32:52] Argument: 18.4.8_EP1
    [16:32:52] Setting timeout to 30 seconds
    [16:32:59] Version info: AnarchyPatcher - Local version: 18.4.7_EP1 , Remote version: 18.4.8_EP1
    [16:32:59] MyThread_c::GetFileContents(/new-dimensions/patchservers.txt)
    [16:32:59] MyThread_c::GetFileContents(/d/map)
    [16:33:00] Could not find the requested patch on any of the specified patch-servers.
    Please try again later.
    If this particular problem persists, contact support@anarchy-online.com for help.
    [16:33:05] InetConnection_c::GetPatchServers(): Couldn't download patch.

Thanks gods, I saved the link back then to FC's patch directory and downloaded / installed it manually which worked (it didn't work back then when the trouble started).
    Of course, for a few minutes I was lead to the Test Server Launcher which asked for a patch, but got the normal launcher after all.

Dear FC - I have mates playing AO on Win7 64bit too, one of them even with the same provider, she never had such issues. My sister who never touched AO got the same trouble I have when she wanted to install a froob version; I don't know how many people besides Angler (Hallo im übrigen, wie war dein Patch-Erlebnis?) have that problem, but it's really annoying, even tho most of the time I can swap accounts properly.
    My provider tells me they can't find any problem.
    FC-Support doesn't seem to have a solution either - so: what's the problem, and where, and how can it be solved finally?

Thanks!
    Thaylia - Martial Artist
    Kahja - Doctor

... and again: new patch, same problem.

Isn't there -anyone- who knows what is freaking out here?

Edit: patch done manually, worked just fine. But: Launcher leads me to the US Test server again. This is really getting tiresome...
    Last edited by Thaylia; Oct 13th, 2011 at 20:04:19.
    Thaylia - Martial Artist
    Kahja - Doctor

SOLUTION FOUND!

After a lot of debugging, the problem seems to finally be found:
    It's caused by their ISPs DNS server (or the modem/routers DNS proxy).

If you have the same problem, you could try to change your DNS server to Google's public dns (8.8.8.8) and see if it helps.
    For detailed instructions on how to do this, see here.
    Last edited by Demoder; Oct 18th, 2011 at 13:56:43.
    ::: My Tools & Stuff :::
    ::: Cratine Savagedheals Enfine Zoewrangle Demoder :: Solitron Demotionform :: IRC Demoder Savagedlight :::
    ::: AOItems :: Blog :: CIDB :: HelpBot :: ItemsBot :: PlanetMap Viewer :: Tower Wars :: Twitter :::