Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New content in AO and the work involved.

New content in AO and the work involved.

I have to admit, I'm a bit curious about this. Back in the early days of AO, the devs would create a lot of content out of nothing and would do so without it seeming like it took forever. In the last years, new content has often been copy-paste of some form or another and it seems to take forever to get done.

Just as a comparison, I was wondering how many devs were working on AO when Shadowlands was released and how much time they spent on creating that expansion. These days we got like.. 6-7 devs? How many did AO have back then?

When you look at AO before and after SL, you see that the amount of content in terms of mobs, quests, zones, items, perk-system and such stuff, almost doubled with the release of SL. They couldn't have spent so much time on it either. Shadowlands came a bit out of the blue as I remember it and I was surprised at the AMOUNT of unique content the devs had created since Notum Wars expansion pack.

I mean, how long would it take for the current devs to create an expansion pack that offers as many new and unique zones, mobs, quests, items and such as SL did, without copy-pasting anything? I'm guessing minimum 5 years

So how many devs did AO have back then? How much time did they spend on SL? Where are these illustrious people working these days? >.<
    Veteran of Equilibrium

Quote Originally Posted by Wrangeline View Post
    So how many devs did AO have back then? How much time did they spend on SL? Where are these illustrious people working these days? >.<
    At/around the time of release, I think FunCom pretty much WAS Anarchy Online (and The Longest Journey, or even that was after AO?), so I'd guess everyone they had at the time; dozens of people, anything between 30-50, maybe even (a lot) more.

As for where are these people now? Working on AoC and TSW, obviously (and maybe on the smaller scale projects like Pets vs. Monsters and, erm, that PvP arena game, wait, Bloodlines or what the heck), and I'm sure many have left the company over the years too (considering how the current AO staff mostly consists of ex players turned devs, most likely havng replaced the "old" devs who have left).

"All things point to that they didn't play to win, but for the game itself and to play well. ... Later in their evolution, they forgot all about playing and having fun. When their corrupted minds only cared for what new ways they could gain power, there was no room for the simple things in life."
    - One Who Will Always Listen
    "Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment."
    - Librarian Isador Aikos, W40k: Dawn of War
    "If you want to make enemies... try to change something."
    - Adam Jensen, Deus Ex: Human Revolution

afaik, there's only 6ish members left on the AO team.
    Macrosun & Kintaii come to mind off the top of my head,
    at least 1 graphics designer, 1 person working on the new engine,
    1 person converting old code to be compatible VS2010,
    and (now minus 1?) Content Designer

it seems the project has shrunk to about the size when it was first conceived;
    "Hey man, wanna help make a game?"
    "How long we going to run it for?"
    "...about 2 years."
    Last edited by Xyphos; Jun 1st, 2011 at 18:37:35.
    "When life knocks you on your butt, you have to get back up and punch it in the face." --DJ Ashval of GSP

Nullified "Bitbucket" Deadcode - 220/25 Neut NanoMage Engi
    Bits10 - 150/14 Clan Opifex Trader

back in the old days...Vetern works hard.....today vets adn non vets...but stuff from "ingame" store^_=....probalbe a lot of devs working on that idea...expanding the "ingame" store ^_=
    "Don't think...feel, it's like a finger pointing towards the moon"

Funcom employee

There were full teams working on SL back in the day - If I recall correctly it was somewhere around 50+, though I can't say for certain since I wasn't actually there. It was a LOT more than we've got now, that's for sure.

A lot of the difficulty in creating content these days has come in us wanting to do it *right*. I think a lotta folks look back at the Shadowlands launch with slightly rosy glasses - Remember that not all of the zones were finished, there were practically no quest lines, the content that *was* there was typically bugged and ended up with such utterly *delightful* design decisions like turn spirits, tier armour, ingots and hecklers. :P When you talk about the amount of content that SL contains, better questions are "How much of it was well-designed?" or "How much of that content is actually used?" or "How buggy was it when it launched?"

We take more time these days in making stuff because we're a smaller team, yes - We don't have the manpower on the project that an expansion like SL had simply because... well, it's been eight years since SL launched; the team just isn't as large. But a bigger part of it is in ensuring that the content we make is actually worth the time it takes to make it. We can spend three years cranking out a bunch of "stuff" just for "stuff's sake", but what's the point?

I think people view SL as a lot more impressive than it actually was at launch because of all of the stuff that's been added *to* it over the years. SL is a HUGE expansion, don't get me wrong, but in terms of good system/gameplay design.... how long did you guys grind hecklers until Inferno missions came in? How many of those random items you've picked up in SL have you ever actually used for anything other than shop food? What armour from SL do you just *have to have* outside of Beast loot? How many ingots are still sitting in a backpack somewhere in your bank because you were storing 'em up for your friendly neighborhood Trader before we realized they had to be nerfed? How many hours have you spent camping that damn JEPP/Spirit Shroud? SL was certainly large in scope, but... just because something's bigger doesn't mean its better.

Also, for questions regarding who all is working on AO at the moment, I keep a fairly complete dev roster over in our Forums Social Guidelines page, complete with links to the forums accounts for all of the devs (that have them).
    Last edited by Kintaii; Jun 1st, 2011 at 18:47:49.
    Brad L. McAtee / Kintaii
    Former Senior AO Designer & Jack of All Trades
    (2007 - 2012)
    ~~ Twitter :: Facebook :: Norse Noir ~~

Quote Originally Posted by Kintaii View Post
    How many hours have you spent camping that damn JEPP/Spirit Shroud?
    ....still havent gotten a shroud to drop in the 6 years I've been playing
    but then again, I don't camp hardcore; just kill everything, loot and move on.
    "When life knocks you on your butt, you have to get back up and punch it in the face." --DJ Ashval of GSP

Nullified "Bitbucket" Deadcode - 220/25 Neut NanoMage Engi
    Bits10 - 150/14 Clan Opifex Trader

We can spend three years cranking out a bunch of "stuff" just for "stuff's sake", but what's the point?
    Good question... why DID you make the new PvP zone?
    The Fine Arts:
    Mime | Surgery | Zen
    The Traitor

Xirayne: I couldn't care less about who is clueless or what the exact definition "real" pvp is in ao, I want "fun" pvp!

How many hours have you spent camping that damn JEPP/Spirit Shroud? SL was certainly large in scope, but... just because something's bigger doesn't mean its better.
    How difficult is it to make a slight change to the rate of drops though? Things being just rare enough for mindless farming to profit from it and the majority of players being unable to access the content without shelling out large amounts of credits is never a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by SultryVoltron View Post
    Good question... why DID you make the new PvP zone?
    Because pvpers asked for it. The question now is why don't the PVPers PVP in the zone THEY asked for?

Simple answer, there aren't any greens/gimps there for them to farm, which goes to show you something about the people who ask for things. Those of us who like to pvp have a place to pvp, its called Borealis.

50+ devs? O.O
    Jeez, that's a lot of people
    Veteran of Equilibrium

Quote Originally Posted by Gatester View Post

Because pvpers asked for it. The question now is why don't the PVPers PVP in the zone THEY asked for?

Simple answer, there aren't any greens/gimps there for them to farm, which goes to show you something about the people who ask for things. Those of us who like to pvp have a place to pvp, its called Borealis.
    This is just wrong, from start to finish.
    Veteran of Equilibrium

A lot of the difficulty in creating content these days has come in us wanting to do it *right*.

--skip

Am I correct in assumption that the current team has now been thinking over increasing droprate of JEPP/Spirit Shroud for a while in their perpetual desire to make it *just right*?

THow many hours have you spent camping that damn JEPP/Spirit Shroud? SL was certainly large in scope, but... just because something's bigger doesn't mean its better.
    Hmm, while I dont recall the number of hours, I can say that my first shroud took a little over 800 Notum Scourge kills and the second around 350. Thats alot of hours though, considering that during the time I tried to get my first shroud, Notum Scourges were severely bugged and spawned under the ice. Which basicly forced me to wait for the (rather frequent, remember the weekly resets?) server downs / restarts or zone crashes to get a fresh set of mobs.

After more and more people wanted a shroud and thus enough protests, it was possible to petition for help to beam them out of the ice until this bug was fixed - I suppose it helps when the staff suffers from the bugs too.

The JEPP farming for my adv took me 7x~6hrs too. Glorious times... at least it wasnt as lonely in the game as it is now.

Funcom employee

Quote Originally Posted by Plaything View Post
    Am I correct in assumption that the current team has now been thinking over increasing droprate of JEPP/Spirit Shroud for a while in their perpetual desire to make it *just right*?
    I thought we *did*, at least on the JEPP - Not certain on the Spirit Shroud but I know we've discussed it internally at least, and I coulda sworn I upped the drop chance on the JEPP myself. Been a while, lots has happened since, kinda hard to remember. >.@
    Brad L. McAtee / Kintaii
    Former Senior AO Designer & Jack of All Trades
    (2007 - 2012)
    ~~ Twitter :: Facebook :: Norse Noir ~~

I am sure that quality controle got better. I do not look back at sl with rosy glasses. It was broken everywhere, and classic ao too. From LE we could feel that there were tech studies and code review going on, stuff that takes time but really enhance your work. I don't mind less content when they are well done.

Classic was the time of bearded devs who couldn't write anything but code, hated feedback and acted surprided when it crash and burn on live. Good times.
    Last edited by boltgun; Jun 1st, 2011 at 20:47:47.
    Server first !!! Neutral Solitus Male Soldier named Boltgun to wear a short with pink spots on RK1 !!!
    N E U T R A L I Z E R S

Oh lord, I remember the incredible drama that happened when FC opened up SL access to high level zones without the need to finish questlines for rings.

It used to be that people had to complete ring quest in nasc, ely, scheol, adonis and penumbra in order to get to inferno if you were 220, for example. So everyone did that.

Then FC removed the need for people to do these questlines and gave characters above specific levels the rings for free from Ergo.

Players whined like crazy because in just one single move, FC had invalidated so much of the work they had gone through to get to Inferno and such.

Personally I think the current system is a lot better than the old system where people had to complete ring-quests in all zones. I just think it would have been a good idea if the devs went with that approach from the start, rather than having to change it later
    Veteran of Equilibrium

700 Notum Scourges in a row on a MP. And no, I got no Spirit Shroud :x
    Lainbr - 220/30/70 Meta-Physicist Nanomage - E / Spirals - 220/30/70 Enforcer Solitus - E / Kokusho - 201/22/55 Fixer Nanomage - Equip Soon ;o
    Traderbr - 180/0/0 Trader Nanomage - / Kaoru - 60/0/0 Meta-Physicist Nanomage - totw semitwink
    Proud veteran of Spartans

To devs: You failed redesigning MPs as NTs with pets. I want my debuffer back.
    Dreamer: Basically - I wish THIS much effort was put in to ALL profs rebalance docs.

Kintaii: Genele is more hardcore than you, your guildmates, and anyone else you've ever played with
    Anarrina: Trust me, I'm not that scary in real life.

but still true, you must admit.

And how is it wrong? Players were complaining that they had no area to actively seek pvp in between battlestation rounds, and were complaining that they didn't have a "team free" pvp area that they could go all out against anyone, even their own faction. The players were also complaining about waiting in lines when they wanted to just jump right into pvp. It is obviously not the pvmers who would complain about such things, it would be pvpers.

What is your justification for the creation of this playfield if mine is wrong from start to finish? I think you have a lot more to say than "You are wrong because I say so."

In the end, the pvpers have a playfield meeting their demands, but without pvmers to farm a lot of those "pvpers" refuse to participate in the playfield.
    Last edited by Gatester; Jun 2nd, 2011 at 02:41:50.

I think LoX was the best-designed expansion for AO. Its was followed by a time of great in-game activity in which I was never short of stuff to do, and people are still playing that content despite the population issues. Its a shame its success wasn't followed by additional booster packs to give people stuff to do in the game.
    <Lazy> who knew ao f*rum denizens were such homophobes?

Lordstage Free to do anything
    Byracka iddqd
    Battlespork Eats what he kills
    Bloodforbaal Utter bastard
    Pinealgland Too weird to live, and too rare to die
    Dagenham Radioactive courier
    Fascinated Elderly nature enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Gatester View Post

I think that's unfair, the problem with getting people to PVP is that you need a whole economy to drive it, with phats/gear/cred/xp the same like you do in all the new MMOs out these days. AO doesn't have that except for VPs which haven't had any love in years thanks to the enormous fuss and sense of entitlement pure PVMers threw in its early days.

And for newbie friendly PVP you need toons significantly tougher so they're not all instasplat if newbies wanna try it out. AO's pace of PVP is extremely fast because of ARflation, specials and perks on non-overlapping recharge cycles and so on. Compare that with new games like WAR / RIFT / AION where the first time you PVP you only have about 4 active skills and even teaming up 3-4 vs 1 it still can take a while to kill even an enemy.

Of course personally I like the fast pace of PVP in AO but I can see why almost everything is getting nerfed across the board in the "balance" patch.
    bai2u!
    -::l2pvp!1::-
    Electronite: FFA also destroyed Clan hegemony when it comes to tower wars. Ironically the downfall was started by the most active pvpers. Another ironic thing is that the downfall happened due to pvm conflict. Silirrion: (We have pretty good anti-troll filters by now though) Means: Thong-wearing troxes will always be a part of this game and a point of AO pride. Keldros: Obviously reall trolls don't use conditioner Marlark: If this forum was Swedish in it's language .. id pawn you any day. 220 NT: tl7 is a joke most of the time. 90% of the people are double double dead. some are worth debuffing tho. Mastablasta: you guys are right and I'm wrong. Ebag: No. You alpha me'd due to the stat bug. More Ebag: I don't have any twinks currently, nor do I participate much in mass TL7 PvP (though I do go occasionally, usually just to watch). Questra: an MP in sneak eNSDed me and did about 20k damage in 10-12 seconds

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast