Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Friday with Means - June 3rd, 2011 - Thanks to a busy team

Funcom employee Friday with Means - June 3rd, 2011 - Thanks to a busy team

In the seven years I have worked on Anarchy Online I have never had time or opportunity to be bored. This week was no exception. That being said this week was more than fully occupied with lead-baloon type activities...not all sexy but important. I would like to thank the team for taking on the tasks nobody really wants...but ones that need to get done.

In no particular order,and with many horrible omissions:

1. Design and production of 10th anniversary T-shirts. Thank you Flaptoot for as always making the final product way better than we had imagined. Thank-you Famine and Kintaii for getting practical aspects of this done.

2. Addressing old ATI rendering issues to finalize the delayed next version that includes the "not shade" item changes. Thanks to the Cube and Flaptoot who spent an agonizing entire day working to prove this issue could NOT be fixed with the adjustment of materials and object positioning...I am very grateful for the thorough effort and creative solutions that were tried. Thank you again Macrosun for finding a workable solution despite a very thin chance of success. DX7 isn't fun for anyone.

3. Thank you Parsed for continuing your tireless efforts to get the engine done. It was amazing to see you and Macrosun emerge from the dark tunnel of the Visual Studio 2010 conversion only to steamroll right into the integration of the "final" version of the Conan engine. Now that sigificant changes are no longer going to be made to the engine we are working with I can't wait to see it come together. It made my month to see it running again today. We are lucky to have you.

4. Thank you Macrosun for the new "catch up to your target" mechanic. I love it. It looks awesome...and it doesn't even have an effect or an animation yet. Hailx10 Macrosun.

5. Thank you Genele for fighting with me for many combined hours this week to make sure we get the best possible system changes that we can. Thank you for pushing me away from the easy choices to make sure this is done right. This work would not be possible without your tireless efforts and passion for the game we all care about so much. I'm sorry it takes me so long to understand the big picture.

6. Thank you Mstrbstrd for the over 30 different revisions to the Battlestation to make it run smoother at all levels. I know working with meshes that large, done by someone else is not something any artist would want to do. I also understand it was not really an exciting break from adjusting hundreds of new heads. I am sorry that every head you retouch gets so much better that I can't let you stop. Thank you for not freaking out... yet.

7. Thank you Flaptoot for the work on the new vehicle for the Anniversary. I can't wait to see it when YOU feel it is done.

8. I hope Lindelu is enjoying a fantastic and well deserved Iceland vacation. If you are delayed due to the volcano...it is a good enough excuse. Thank you for the great work you have been doing with the new daily missions.

9. Thank you Kintaii for getting through a huge number of Anniversary items, while working very, very late trying to get the new Pandemonium experience complete and interesting. Thank you for making me laugh and bringing me up for air when I need it.

10. Thank you to the many members of the community that give us the reason and drive to fight as hard as we do every single day. From our biggest fans to our harshest critics your commitment to AO keeps us going. We appreciate your passion...and we share it.

-----------

Kintaii Edit! Couple of quick things this week - First off, we wanted to mention the player-run London AO Gathering that will be going down on July 16th this year; there's already quite a few people expressing interest, and for those of you who can't make it to this year's gathering in Montreal we *might* even be able to arrange for a few party favours for those who make it.

As Means said earlier the last few weeks have been really busy but we haven't forgotten about selecting the winners of our recent QQ Qontest! Each winner will receive a one-of-a-kind in-game shirt and one thousand Funcom points to spend as they please, so if you entered the contest you can check the link above to see if you're one of the lucky winners!

One last note, and kinda in the spirit of his post this week I just wanted to take a second and speak for myself, and I'd wager for everyone on the team as well, when I say thank you to *Means* for managing to do and help with all of the above and way, way more every single day. Yeah, yeah, I ain't gonna get mushy or start brown-nosing so there you go that's it go on get outta here. ;P

Also a hearty thanks to our German community managers Tarib & Waldgeist, who typically hustle hardcore to get these translated and up each week despite me and Means routinely getting the post to them at the absolute last minute. You guys rock. =D

Ok, seriously, that's it this time. Have a great weekend everybody - See you back here next week. =)
    Last edited by Kintaii; Jun 3rd, 2011 at 15:37:53.
    Colin Cragg
    This "Means" Cake
    Past Game Director (2008-2011)

First!?
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Citymusic08 - 220/30/70 - Fixed!!!
    Alts
    Citytank Enfo 220/21 2hb love please!
    Drtrey Doc 220/17
    Citycrat Crat 202/20
    Treyeb04 Enfo 60/6 2hb here too lol
    Dealornodeal Trader 25/3 Subway Trader
    Saxobul3 Agent 150/18
    Citykeeper Keeper 200/19 BS/S7 Twink

yawns

I can understand no dates, we all got used to it during last 3 years but ... no heads??!?
    Last edited by Ciex; Jun 3rd, 2011 at 15:13:30.
    Asasello, Sottcapo, Ciex, Rychu, Ciek, Zomowiec, Ciekafsky, Rysiek, Chinaski, Libertarian, Propertarian.

hmz

So no good info for us this week neither. :/
    Last edited by Tysken; Jun 3rd, 2011 at 15:16:22.
    For the funz....

Not first!
    Lupusceleri L220/30/70 Agent -- Advisor of Spartans -- equip endgame AR setup endgame def setup <3 Azs wearer of Cheree's pants
    Arrowsmith -- Arafellin -- Alphacenta -- Aesculapias -- Wolfseye -- Lysdexic

TL5 enf twink: im out those MPs are to overpowered

crattey: The Balance Discussion forum. Where common sense goes to die.

7th W00t first page
    Sometimes, you just have to charge in with both hands blazing and hope they drop before you do.

I won't join your org, but I may join your cause...for a price

All must bow before receiving my blessings

Good to see more focus on ATi bugs...hopefully that work will extend to the Dreamworld engine that is incoming and still has performance issues with most of the ATi line of graphics cards.

Also good to see that the Visual Studio 2010 work is done

Any good applications to fill Metaings' spot rolled in yet?

Last edited by Dagget; Jun 3rd, 2011 at 15:43:26.
    Dagget
    President,
    Venice Academy

Thumbs up

Huzzah for progress!

More meow-meowing incoming anyway, I'm sure.

Edit: Thanks for the QQ award! An uncensored version can be seen at my ImageShack gallery.
    Last edited by Arriviste; Jun 3rd, 2011 at 20:08:23. Reason: I'd like to thank the Academy...
    Don't mind me. I'm just passin' through.
    ::CLAN ADV :Chairman's Prize for Holy LOL recipient: RK-I::
    The Red Brotherhood
    If this is gonna be that kind of party, I'm gonna stick my leet in the mashed potatoes.”

That somewhat sounded like a "I Quit" post... *phew* thank god its not! (jeeebuz, another "thank")
    Level 200 Nanomage Nano-Technician on Rimor speaking... - Unit Commander of Knights of Ka
    Toons:(*=froobs)
    Zzzzzzwap* (inofficial main),
    Krisplin* (main, but buff whore),
    Theophrastus* (piercing doc - aka froob shade)
    Kosminski (Shade - Yes, i went paid...)
    Codeleet (s10 & pvp)
    ~ Founder of TL5+ - Rimor TL5+ froob raid force ~ || ~ My Tweet... ~

before someone else says it:

I see some 'Force Majeur' excuses creeping in as reasons for delaying work on AO .... C'MON guys, what's next? Earth being hit with meteor? World Wide epidemic? Zombies? Pull up your boots, brush that small stuff off and finish it.
    Awwww muffin, need a tissue?

first page ?
    Xeratrading 220/26 NM trader|||Methalix 220/21 Atrox Enforcer
    Methaball 176/4 Atrox MP|||Xeradoc 150/16 Solitus Doctor
    Methafire 150/20 Atrox Soldier|||Xeradvent 121/10 Solitus Adventurer
    Xeranuke 186/17 Solitus Nano-technician
    Xeracrat 200/21 Solitus Bureaucrat
    President of ~~ Athalantes ~~
    Squad Commander of The Glowing Nightfliers

This post is penned post traumatic. Someone alert the proper authorities (mounties?) that the AO staff is being mercilessly driven to produce by a no-doubt cruel and devilish overlord.

your welcome ;p
    Tir Muffin Co-op : Free muffin lovin' for all teh clanners

good, heartwarming post. but, where's the pat on the back to the Beijing artists?

And, any word on when the new login screen will ever hit live? you know, the one vhab finished at least 3 months ago?
    wtf happened to my avatars eyebrows?

I used to listen to Dubstep in the 90's... every time I connected to the internet.

like....50th prolly

"4. Thank you Macrosun for the new "catch up to your target" mechanic. I love it. It looks awesome...and it doesn't even have an effect or an animation yet. Hailx10 Macrosun." <---this looks promising, and scary at the same time.
    T O O N Z:
    Renamed (jeycihn) 220/30(so sexy, so Borealis...I miss it the most...still melee <3 thnx for all your help Scum!
    Giit 200/30 NM NT(THE most dangerous, and bitchy thing I ever created)
    Sixunder 158/21 NM Tra (158+SMG=Atomic bomb? Feather pillow? meh, depends on what mood she's in oO)
    Eightup 158/21 Opi Fix (perfect, maxed twink, definitive "FUN")
    Xerrrox 17X Opi Fix (GA4 fr00b...buff prostitute...reason to log in)
    Enjey 60/6 NM Eng (high maintenance OP'ness)
    Nanimated New NM Agent (no patience for it...sigh)
    Somethiing 200 Atrox Sold (potential x1k...not nearly enough "give a f*ck")
    P A R A D I S E ~&~ P A R A S I T E ~&~ B R O K E N ~&~ CCI ~&~ NOTHING PERSONAL

Quote Originally Posted by Means View Post
    Kintaii Edit! Couple of quick things this week - First off, we wanted to mention the player-run London AO Gathering that will be going down on July 16th this year; there's already quite a few people expressing interest, and for those of you who can't make it to this year's gathering in Montreal we *might* even be able to arrange for a few party favours for those who make it.
    Yay \o/ Party!
    Last edited by Manicmouse; Jun 3rd, 2011 at 15:34:59.
    Manicmouse AR SMGs - 220/30 Clan Solitus Soldier - General of New Order
    Lawmaker Pistols - 220/30 Clan Atrox Bureaucrat | Sellyoursoul Shotgun - 220/30 Clan Nanomage Trader
    Adiee Pistols - 220/30 Clan Solitus Doctor | Boltcutter MA - 220/30 Clan Atrox Engineer | Anorexia - 220/30 Clan Nanomage Enforcer

Lazy: the caste system of ao today is clan > omni > wildlife > neuts.

Gatester: Crats have the best toolset for supporting a team in PVE.
    Aramsunat: WRONG! The team supports the crat if the crat is unable to solo (which is rare)!

Sparta first page!

Booked my Flights yesterday, theres no stoppin teh Jesse now!!! Canada or Bust!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by Stupidjesse; Jun 3rd, 2011 at 19:58:08.
    A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.

220/70/30 The "Stupidjesse" Fatman
    220/70/30 "Lamp"...The Shade...get it?
    150/42/20 "Luwa" soli ma
    200/20/15 Agent Pew "Yasuda" Pew

:: Proud Member of Spartans ::

Quote Originally Posted by Means View Post
    4. Thank you Macrosun for the new "catch up to your target" mechanic. I love it. It looks awesome...and it doesn't even have an effect or an animation yet. Hailx10 Macrosun.
    Hopefully, if this is very much as it sounds, we do not find an abundance of this used for mobs in pvm

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast