Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Friday with Means - April 22nd, 2011 - Thank you

Friday with Means - April 22nd, 2011 - Thank you

**edit: German translation will be coming early next week due to the Easter Holidays in Europe.**

Thank you for the giant pile of suggestions last week for the 10th anniversary. We'll be going through them today in a special team meeting (the artists are here!) and try to work through which ones we can add for this year's event.

Code:

The coders are now near the end of the second week working on the Visual Studio 2010 update. The launcher and patcher are now compatible and many of the libraries used by AO and much of the client is now working. There is still a great deal of work left. This is not even remotely fun and the coders are NOT happy...but they are doing it for us so we are grateful. Conversions are irritating as generally you do a huge amount of work...and then when you are done...if you are LUCKY...things work exactly as they did before. There are a million other things we'd rather have them working on...but we need this for the engine work and we can't avoid it any longer.

The massive meeting of balance code requirements is today...it is going to be interesting.

Design:

Kintaii and I had further discussions this week about the new Pandemonium addition. I thought I would share a little more detail this week.

First off, this area will not be instanced as this would go against the basic idea behind the encounter. This will be a first for AO in that it is a new form of competitive PvM. Many people have written to me over the last few years to tell me of how they miss the competitive action that DD wars brought to the game...and DD wars have been much less a part of AO with the addition of proper instances a few years back.
    SO..with this mind the basic idea is this:

3 Towers, accessed through killing a miniboss in one of the end-passages of Pandemonium. On the death of the miniboss three portals will open and the competitors will be able to decide which tower they would like to challenge. The three towers will be identical...with only the group to reach the top floor first being able to challenge the final boss. The start of the ascent will begin at the same time for all three locations...who will win access will come down to the group with the best team DD, Crowd control and teamwork. It wont be that easy on it's own...but getting there first will add a certain element to the experience. I can't wait to see how this turns out.

Art:

Both artists are finally here...and despite being horribly jetlagged they have begun working their way through some of the new birthday items for this year. The first week in the building is always tough and I don't envy them. Great to have them here again...we missed these guys.

Have a great weekend!
    Last edited by Means; Apr 22nd, 2011 at 17:11:39.
    Colin Cragg
    This "Means" Cake
    Past Game Director (2008-2011)

first O.o
    [] |_| |* \/\/ /-\ `/

3rd?

Quote Originally Posted by Means View Post
    First off, this area will not be instanced as this would go against the basic idea behind the encounter. This will be a first for AO in that it is a new form of competitive PvM. Many people have written to me over the last few years to tell me of how they miss the competitive action that DD wars brought to the game...and DD wars have been much less a part of AO with the addition of proper instances a few years back.

3 Towers, accessed through killing a miniboss in one of the end-passages of Pandemonium. On the death of the miniboss three portals will open and the competitors will be able to decide which tower they would like to challenge. The three towers will be identical...with only the group to reach the top floor first being able to challenge the final boss. The start of the ascent will begin at the same time for all three locations...who will win access will come down to the group with the best team DD, Crowd control and teamwork. It wont be that easy on it's own...but getting there first will add a certain element to the experience. I can't wait to see how this turns out.
    sounds awesome
    Last edited by agentwolve; Apr 22nd, 2011 at 17:14:00.
    Quote Originally Posted by McKnuckleSamwich View Post
    considering how many ranged advies omni has, clan did quite a job.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ciex View Post
    Ive rolled NT and rarely make it longer than 3-4s vs fixers.
    Talking whats OP and whats not by people who have never really played so told OP profession is just lame.

Yay, for competitive PvM
    Humankind can not gain anything, without first giving something in return.
    To obtain; something of equal value must be lost.
    That is the 1st law of equivalent exchange

Rubi-Ka needs: a nickel statue of an astronaut pointing at the sky
    With the description / plate saying:
    When the stars burn out and I find I lack the strength to continue...one of YOU wil pick up the flag and carry it forward.
    This really isn't a corporate product anymore...it belongs to all of us. Where it goes it up to us.

Quote Originally Posted by ArienSky View Post

safsdafsa
    a what now ?
    Quote Originally Posted by McKnuckleSamwich View Post
    considering how many ranged advies omni has, clan did quite a job.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ciex View Post
    Ive rolled NT and rarely make it longer than 3-4s vs fixers.
    Talking whats OP and whats not by people who have never really played so told OP profession is just lame.

Last edited by Marijke; Apr 22nd, 2011 at 17:42:55.
    Marijke88::220|30|70 Opifex Martial Artist
    Phexuz::220|30|70 Opifex Fixer
    Doppelripp::220|30|70 Opifex Bureaucrat
    Arbitrage::220|30|70 Opifex Trader
    Truxal::220|30|70 Opifex Doctor
    Brennstab::220|30|70 Opifex Nano-Technician
    Wurstmacher::200|30|70 Opifex Shade

Proud Advisor of Insomnia Gravis
    Account created: 2005-01-13

wut
    Vitaliy - 220/30 NM NT
    Vitiate - 220/30 Soli Crat
    Paralympics - 220/30 NM Agent
    Vitx - 150/20 Opi Tarder

Paradise & Parasite

I hope there will be something for the losers or I can clearly see this as abandoned.

I don't approve the players mentality when it come to this but we know it will be like this.
    Server first !!! Neutral Solitus Male Soldier named Boltgun to wear a short with pink spots on RK1 !!!
    N E U T R A L I Z E R S

(insert asinine mono-syllabic comment and/or reply here)
    ____ Equipment
    Kopo: There's nothing wrong with the (NT) profession itself, it's just that the other 99.9% of us playing it are deluded & incompetent.
    Unzipped: I'm right, Schmorgi is right... everyone else is wrong and /org lazy.... yep... that pretty much sums up my thoughts.
    Mangle: .... even still the leveling curve seems steep. Why must there be an exponential leveling curve? Who the hell invented that crap with MMOs to begin with?
    deniska: malewerecat h8 for making me agree with Masta
    sobeguy:Anyhow, Marius was evil regardless. Gaute was evil too. They are like, the Bat Man and Robin of evil. They probably run around in tights and masks, making vaguely homoerotic comments, and generally meddling anywhere people are trying to have fun!
    Righteous:Sil is in the kitchen making some sandwiches, he says you're lying and doesn't know who you are.
    Sephiroth:you managed to bother two people with one sentence. Nice
    I Remember The Missing: Nepenthia, Naraya, Satenia.

i cannot wait for the QQ fest on the forums and ingame this new raid will bring :P
    Freedom or death!
    Anything then being an Omni Tek Corporate slave!

Created 2005-11-16 (paid main that's all mine )
    Created 2005-02-03 (froobie)
    Created 2007-10-11 (second paid account because i wanted a freaking shade :P)

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by agentwolve View Post
    a what now ?
    Can't you read? it says:
    Quote Originally Posted by ArienSky View Post
    Yay, for competitive PvM
    Being a great fan of -anarchy- I prefer a real DD war, but more competitive is good

Kind Regards
    -Ariensky
    Humankind can not gain anything, without first giving something in return.
    To obtain; something of equal value must be lost.
    That is the 1st law of equivalent exchange

Rubi-Ka needs: a nickel statue of an astronaut pointing at the sky
    With the description / plate saying:
    When the stars burn out and I find I lack the strength to continue...one of YOU wil pick up the flag and carry it forward.
    This really isn't a corporate product anymore...it belongs to all of us. Where it goes it up to us.

can't wait for competetive 2vs2vs2 PVM!
    Last edited by nubbs; Apr 22nd, 2011 at 17:30:31.
    Tir Muffin Co-op : Free muffin lovin' for all teh clanners

That sounds like awesome fun
    "A whole new place to run around for ages in then die suddenly without warning."

"I know who coded pet pathing... and when I see him I say "/follow" and I start waling in to walls :P"

The "Trolls" option is incorrect. The term trolls is not used to describe the gathering of information on the Internet.

<@Kintaii> L2P

I love selective earing capability. Another awsome playfield for a few buddies to farm. Im sure there will be excelent reasons for everybody else to spend a few more months farming crap to buy from them.
    Gustatus similis pullus.

1st page
    Gunfytr 220/30/70 Soldier Lawdog80 220/30/70 Advy
    Quote Originally Posted by Kintaii View Post
    Because we said so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarrina View Post
    I am unamused. I strongly suggest you don't unamuse me further
    This nano blocks CH. This is intended.

3 Towers sounds fun! I hope it doesn't come down to who has the most people in the raid!

Bitnykk/Bittorrent - young RL of AP & old emissary of CODE

Sounds interesting... How will you avoid people getting 3 teams, 2 being placeholder to start the encounter tho?
    Neophyte Nerf"Shareida"Batted First Order
    Freshman Jefferey"Bailan2"Ginsberg - Retired
    Shareidah - First Order

Quote Originally Posted by Lazy View Post
    it's written in the bible.
    Matthew 23:13 "and the trader hath casteth bulk trader at the young age of 14. and it was good. and so he hath an extra 260 comp lit and he hath equippeth better ncu's. and it was good too.
    A Producer's point of view

Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast