Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 LastLast

Thread: Dr. Nano Doc

Quote Originally Posted by Soliartist View Post
    Totally. Or maybe you'd better prepare yourselves for the original meaning of this game which is Anarchy ONLINE and start to team more than two people in order to solo pretty much everything.

Think out of the box, they say.
    YES, please make it so we have to find more people to raid with. PLEASE!

Tonight on clan lft I saw 5-6 people max for atleast 4 hours on lft. On whole lft I saw ~10 (and definitely not enough of any of them wanted to do the same thing)

Yeah, make it so we need more people to do things, that will help...

Seriously people, think realistically instead of blurting out junk that is no longer viable with today's population.
    Limdul - Shade / Sammybear - Doctor / Swakhammer - Enforcer / Puriel - Fixer / Kalutika - Nano Technician / Tengen - Adventurer

Quote Originally Posted by Loucretia View Post
    Why do some people think that ONLINE means you have to do EVERYTHING with a group of other people? There are many online games where you spend a lot of time alone, but guess what you can like.... you know.. chat to people at the same time...

And unless there is going to be an explosion of new players, forcing people to team when there arent enough people to team, isnt going to improve the game.
    I agree so much it is not funny, and it is very likely I quit AO for an upcomming MMO that features a great deal of solo play with teaming when "necessary" if it doesn't fail. Having the main way to complete 90% of a characters gear involving raids with several other people also wanting your stuff is a pain but I am getting a bit off topic.

The main thing is, doctors need tools that keep them alive and allow them to function with low to moderate costs, and they need tools that are necessary for raids to have high costs and require sacrifices. FC is going to absolutely break enforcers by doing the same thing to them, where the tools they need for raids are also the tools they need for individual survival, and they have made it where most enforcers won't be able to last.

Think out of the box, they say.
    And yet you're so totally inside it as to be it's core.

Saying something is online, much the same as saying something is multiplayer, simply means that multiple people can play it at the same time in a persistent world as opposed to games like Mass Effect or Fable or Halo (campaign) etc which are solo worlds that cease to exist when you close the game.

Just because there is multiple people doesn't mean we have to interact with them. Forcing such, especial when the population is low, is only going to do more harm then good.
    Enter the Information Age
    Proc Descriptions

Hunt, and be hunted: The Hunting Grounds | Alien Tower Field :Aliens, that really invade!
    Pet argo management: Servants Protection | Expand the Notum Silo :Make it worthwhile

Rimor
    Tesgri - 220|17|58 (Omni Agent)
    Leara - 220|25|62 (Omni Doctor)
    Ponygirl - 220|25|56 (Omni Bureaucrat)
    Means: "We have done way dumber things than this..."

Leave healing as it is, bring back fumbles.
    ZeePhonz :: 220/30/70 Adventurer
    ZeeMedic :: 220/30/70 Doctor
    ZeeDaKeep :: 220/30/70 Keeper
    Cratscan :: 220/30/70 Bureaucrat
    ZeeStabbie :: 220/30/65 Shade
    ZeeInstein :: 220/21/60 Engineer

President of A.R.S. (Athens Recovery Service)

Whenever I fill out an application, in the part that says "If an emergency, notify:" I put "DOCTOR".

But some people will come back if they turn out to be "wanted" in teams. That's how you're suppposed to break that vicious circle. Plus you'll still be able to do a lot of things alone or with a very limited group of people.
    Angevil, proud 220 MA from Rimor.
    Flourishing anew. About twelve GUI/Perk/Armor setups done so far, hopefully that one will outlast the criticism of my perfectionism!

Ars Magna. Histories became artifacts, images of poor effect, memories filled with acts and neglect
    As a vulture of cultures I indeed feed my seeds with much greed, soaked in pleasure I succeed

Then, if you think that I'm the core of it, how about you try to play Professions that seldom get recruited in teams?

Ask them, why they gave up on AO, why the current population's so low.
    Flourishing anew. About twelve GUI/Perk/Armor setups done so far, hopefully that one will outlast the criticism of my perfectionism!

Ars Magna. Histories became artifacts, images of poor effect, memories filled with acts and neglect
    As a vulture of cultures I indeed feed my seeds with much greed, soaked in pleasure I succeed

Then, if you think that I'm the core of it, how about you try to play Professions that seldom get recruited in teams?
    I do.

Doesn't change the fact that just because AO has 'online' in it's name doesn't mean you must interact with people by definition.
    Enter the Information Age
    Proc Descriptions

Hunt, and be hunted: The Hunting Grounds | Alien Tower Field :Aliens, that really invade!
    Pet argo management: Servants Protection | Expand the Notum Silo :Make it worthwhile

Rimor
    Tesgri - 220|17|58 (Omni Agent)
    Leara - 220|25|62 (Omni Doctor)
    Ponygirl - 220|25|56 (Omni Bureaucrat)
    Means: "We have done way dumber things than this..."

Funcom employee

Quote Originally Posted by Ayria View Post
    Doesn't change the fact that just because AO has 'online' in it's name doesn't mean you must interact with people by definition.
    Yes it does.

This is an MMORPG. Massively Multiplayer Online Roleplaying Game. The entire point and purpose behind the genre is to have folks interact, team up, and take on challenges larger than themselves. You can't solo The Beast (or if you can you're either exploiting or a 'crat from a couple of years ago), you can't take on S42 by yourself. You need others to be able to take on certain content that the game has to offer. This is just the nature of the game itself; that's how it's always been, that's how it'll always be.

Saying that you don't want to ever interact with another player in AO is kinda like complaining that there weren't any turn-based encounters in Doom, or that Final Fantasy Tactics didn't offer a realistic space-flight simulation. That's just not what those games *are*.

Now, this said, does that mean that there isn't or shouldn't be soloable content in an MMORPG? No, of course not, and there will still be solo content/quests/encounters for people to enjoy. But it's an online game, with mechanics and encounters that are designed for team play because that's *what the game is*. That's how it's been from the start, and that's how it's going to stay in the future.
    Brad L. McAtee / Kintaii
    Former Senior AO Designer & Jack of All Trades
    (2007 - 2012)
    ~~ Twitter :: Facebook :: Norse Noir ~~

Quote Originally Posted by Kintaii View Post
    Yes it does.
    No it doesn't...

"Online" part says that you "can" interact with other players, not that you "must".
    // Break time //

/\/\ Newcomers Alliance General and LMAA co-founder /\/\
    Froob for 3 years :
    Gridpain, Nfurter, Slayie, Forcedevente, Asafart, Theshrike, Whipingwillow, Malaucrane, Karmapolice.

Sloob since 2009 :
    Coredumped,Needleworkr,Weepinwilljr,Gridpainjr,Bet amale,Lackwit,Dusttodust, Ouvreboite,Boohoohoo,Asafurt,Whatsthat,Aziraphale
    220, 220, 200, 164, 150, 116, 110, 82, 70, 57, 40, 21 ...

It also means that you SHOULD never totally avoid it. I've played with a lot of people, I saw countless end-game raids done with less than a full Team, even with two players. C'mon, get real.

Bah. Neither solo nor team play is exclusive to each other. Solo play doesn't suggest it's like a offline play but that you like to get some stuff done yourself. Saying "you better play a offline game" does it injustice because of either that and even for someone that exclusive solos there would be other aspects of online play he might enjoy - competitive play like pvp or comparing himself to others. At the same time team play shouldn't suggest nothing can be accomplished solo and soloist should stop implying that.

I'm tired of this dead beat horse where either front is stuck in their narrow minded views trying as hard as possible to ignore any view of the opposite front. Can we please - as a community - move on now?
    Deadly Whisper - RK1
    too many alts for to little space

Yes it does.

This is an MMORPG. Massively Multiplayer Online Roleplaying Game. The entire point and purpose behind the genre is to have folks interact, team up, and take on challenges larger than themselves. You can't solo The Beast (or if you can you're either exploiting or a 'crat from a couple of years ago), you can't take on S42 by yourself. You need others to be able to take on certain content that the game has to offer. This is just the nature of the game itself; that's how it's always been, that's how it'll always be.

Saying that you don't want to ever interact with another player in AO is kinda like complaining that there weren't any turn-based encounters in Doom, or that Final Fantasy Tactics didn't offer a realistic space-flight simulation. That's just not what those games *are*.

Now, this said, does that mean that there isn't or shouldn't be soloable content in an MMORPG? No, of course not, and there will still be solo content/quests/encounters for people to enjoy. But it's an online game, with mechanics and encounters that are designed for team play because that's *what the game is*. That's how it's been from the start, and that's how it's going to stay in the future.
    I think people will continue to argue against you but their entire argument will be illogical to the point that they should honestly just not bother posting. There are large number of online and multiplayer games with varying degrees of player to player interactions. As this means there are games with high portions of player to player interactions to its opposite which can in fact have no player to player interactions in an online environment.

The reason it is pointless to argue against any Funcom staff is that the level of player to player interaction they wish for their clients to utilize is pre-determined by them and therefore unavoidable based on the extent to which you wish to play their game. If you want all the endgame gear for your character then the chances are you will either team with other players to obtain it or your name is Artyomis.

Hence, when I said I could quit AO because of so much teaming required to complete my characters I did not say AO should require less teaming. While I would prefer my AO experience to involve completing every character I make without any outside help being more than possible, it is not how this game is designed. The only player to player interactions I desire are those that test my capabilities against non-AI opponents, also known as PVP. I could care less about forming a group to go kill a set of codes the respawns on a set timeframe in Pandemonium, but as it is required in some cases I must either utilize the assistance of other players or go without the rewards.

You choose the game you play, and if the game is not following your desires then it is your duty to find one that suits you or attempt to have the game modified in a way that suits you. You cannot claim a game is developed incorrectly simply because it does not follow your own personal standards.
    Last edited by Gatester; Jan 20th, 2011 at 17:13:55.

I think it's funny that people are going to argue with an FC DEV about what content should be in the game and how it should be played. You guys DO realize that if they say it should, it will don't you? So by default you will always be wrong.
    Awwww muffin, need a tissue?

Quote Originally Posted by Obtena View Post
    I think it's funny that people are going to argue with an FC DEV about what content should be in the game and how it should be played. You guys DO realize that if they say it should, it will don't you? So by default you will always be wrong.
    Quote from Obtena sig :
    "Kintaii: However people choose to play the game is up to them. "
    // Break time //

Froob for 3 years :
    Gridpain, Nfurter, Slayie, Forcedevente, Asafart, Theshrike, Whipingwillow, Malaucrane, Karmapolice.

Sloob since 2009 :
    Coredumped,Needleworkr,Weepinwilljr,Gridpainjr,Bet amale,Lackwit,Dusttodust, Ouvreboite,Boohoohoo,Asafurt,Whatsthat,Aziraphale

Quote Originally Posted by Gridpain View Post
    Quote from Obtena sig :
    Yeah, so what? That doesn't contradict anything Kintaii says. He MAKES the game. You're going to argue with him if there should or shouldn't be team or solo content in an MMO, especially AO? That's foolish. Choosing how to play isn't the same as dictating to FC what should be in the game.

I'm agreeing. You MUST interact with people, even if you don't want to and that means most content SHOULD make you team. That means the primary healing class in the game has to be conceptualized to fit it's role.
    Last edited by Obtena; Jan 20th, 2011 at 18:08:58.
    Awwww muffin, need a tissue?

Funcom employee

And it is. But "the game" in question is still an MMORPG. I mean if you wanna choose to play Team Fortress 2 the same way you play Space Invaders go for it. Just don't expect to see your name at the top of the score list. :P
    Brad L. McAtee / Kintaii
    (2007 - 2012)

And it is. But "the game" in question is still an MMORPG. I mean if you wanna choose to play Team Fortress 2 the same way you play Space Invaders go for it. Just don't expect to see your name at the top of the score list. :P
    Believe it or not, but some people can enjoy playing a game without aiming for the top of the score list. This is going completly off topic, but, yes, you need a team/raid for beast and S42, but you can play AO and enjoy AO without beast loot or S42 loot.
    I never said people should only play solo, it would be stupid, as stupid as asking people to only play in teams.

For me MMORPG = freedom ... to each is own way of having fun in a game.
    // Break time //

Froob for 3 years :

Sloob since 2009 :

So apparently we cannot move on. Ho boy, time to tune out of this discussion.
    Deadly Whisper - RK1
    too many alts for to little space

Funcom employee

Believe it or not, but some people can enjoy playing a game without aiming for the top of the score list. This is going completly off topic, but, yes, you need a team/raid for beast and S42, but you can play AO and enjoy AO without beast loot or S42 loot.
    I never said people should only play solo, it would be stupid, as stupid as asking people to only play in teams.

For me MMORPG = freedom ... to each is own way of having fun in a game.
    And I'm not saying you can't. In case anyone missed it:

Now, this said, does that mean that there isn't or shouldn't be soloable content in an MMORPG? No, of course not, and there will still be solo content/quests/encounters for people to enjoy.
    There are and will continue to be things that people who like to play by themselves can do solo. I'm honestly the same way - I prefer playing mostly by myself. But I also know and understand that without a team I'd never be able to do the Constad Dust Brigade questline; I'd never finish an AI city raid, I'd never be able to take on the Deranged Xan.

There will always be activities you can enjoy in an MMORPG by yourself, but that doesn't mean you'll be able to enjoy the full range of content the game has to offer. What I'm getting at with my original post is that saying you never want to team and never want to interact with others is also saying that you understand you will never be able to do all of the content that AO has to offer. It's just what this genre of game is. If someone wants to solo, cool - Go for it. But you then lose out on a lot of the content in the game, and given that online interaction *is* what the framework of the game is built around, you can't really complain that there are activities which require you to have other people to participate in.

But you're right, this is turning into an epic derail, and like Gatester said it's kinda pointless to argue it; Anarchy Online is an MMORPG, with all of the good parts and detriments that entails. The game has a lot of content which isn't designed for solo play, and that's how it'll stay in the future. It's just what we are.

Anyhoo, enough of this particular side debate. If someone else wants to start up a thread about it elsewhere on the forums, go for it, but let's get this particular thread back on track and dealing with the nanodocument for Doctors. =)
    Brad L. McAtee / Kintaii
    (2007 - 2012)

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by blingoutyourdead View Post
    I think the above post is right that it's going to mean even docs set up for full-on PvM primary healing duty are going to be slammed in terms of their ability to keep a team alive. I could care less about all the trox docs running around in full CC with AS pistols who will now be running scared in PvP. It's hard to tell without trying it out in practice, but the magnitude of cost increase is enough that it seems even nano docs with capped cost are going to be running dry on long, heavy raids, and teams dying if they don't have a second doc to switch off. That just seems like a slap in the face for anyone who has worked long and hard to build a 220 doc up from nothing as a primary healer, and who plays it as their regular (or only) main for PvM.
    Well this doesnt make me smile. I'm a less-than 1 yr paid noob working hard on my main toon to be just that - a PvM team healer- thats what Ive been enjoying the most- and Im at lvl110 now. (well, I did pick up First Degree burns and it does wonders on borgs- so I do have fun with that- they die off much faster, so they do less damage to my team.)

(My 1 alt is just a lvl 19 NT)

Should I just put the chalice away & quit and come back in a year and start all over( maybe- if i dont go to another game entirely)?

bummed...
    Last edited by Vitalsigns; Jan 20th, 2011 at 18:58:01.
    Omegathree 220/70/30 doctor
    http://smu.gs/10VjCqh

Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 LastLast