Thread: Fixing the the crit nerf problem

Fixing the the crit nerf problem

I've posted this idea before in a couple of different threads about the llts nerf. I just think FC is making it too difficult for themselves. Here is what I propose. Bear with me, I am not a programmer so I am not sure it can be done this way, but I hope so.

The reason for the whole discussion about crits is that Funcom thinks people crit too often. It's not a question of balance or anything else, so we should try to keep the balance intact.

I assume that crit chance has a virtual value for programming purposes that isn't zero. If this is not so, then I assume that it can be coded without too much trouble.

Let's say that this virtual value is 1. Thus for a person with no buffs or crit increase items the value would be 1.03, because everyone has a crit chance of 3 percent to start with. This value can be modified with lots of buffs and items at present.

Why not change the virtual value on general crit chance to 0.5. This would solve the whole problem. A LLTS would be just as valueable, nobody would get nerfed and everyone would crit less just like FC wants. This would of course affect mobs as well as players, and so would be fair to all.

I hope you guys understand, and if you don't, just ask me and I'll try to be more clear.

Can this be done or am I just showing off my ignorance as far as programming is concerned?

Jayhawk

As have been the case before, I have to ask myself. Is this solution just too easy, or just plain stupid? And if the latter is true, I'd like to know why.

Jayhawk
    Last edited by Jayhawk; Oct 13th, 2002 at 09:13:25.

basically, what you're saying is lower everyone's crit chance by 'x' amount if i understand you right ?

well, if FC isn't full of poo-poo and the real problem is that everyone is critting too much then that would seem to be the solution.

why didn't one of the devs think of this anyway ? how much are they paying these guys to read forums so they can figure out what to do next ?

GOOD IDEA = lower overall crit chance, drop LLTS again.
    BAD IDEA = lower crit chance on some, not others keep llts same and make sure nobody else can get one .

I think it's a good idea to basiclly add a negative delta to everyone's chance to crit.

This isn't a PVM nurf. This is a PVP nurf, and I doubt anyone thinks it isn't. What mobs are dying too fast? General Vivian? Warr? the Notum trainee? 195+ boss mobs? Aces and RMs? Trasque? Is 30 min of a team of 6 unloading on a boss too short of a time for the 300k exp reward? Same question for Trasque?

The thing is this is a game and all players, if they are industrious enough should be able to acquire the same gear. In real life we all know and accept that life isn't fair, but this is a game. If you had to play chess vs a chess champion would you like a rule that said, since he has been playing the game for 5 years longer than you, you don't get to have a queen, and only 1 rook? Would you then say to yourself, "I see why this guy is the champion, christ, he may suck, but he has a massive advantage from the start."

LLTS and ELLTS were very common items before they were pulled from stores and mission items. They weren't rare, they were very common. The problem is, funcom is making a booster geared mostly to PVP, and if they want to sell a lot of them, they had better give the players the impression that if they weren't around 5 months ago, they won't have to start the game down a queen and a rook.

As far as I can see the only way they can appease eveyone is to put them back in the game and do an overall crit nurf, or remove them from the DB or set them to the VS levels. Anything else will make a fair number of people shy away from PVP and thus shy away from the booster.

LLTS and ELLTS were very common items before they were pulled from stores and mission items. They weren't rare, they were very common. The problem is, funcom is making a booster geared mostly to PVP, and if they want to sell a lot of them, they had better give the players the impression that if they weren't around 5 months ago, they won't have to start the game down a queen and a rook.

BRAVO! you summed it up on the money.

Re: Fixing the the crit nerf problem

Originally posted by Jayhawk
    I assume that crit chance has a virtual value for programming purposes that isn't zero. If this is not so, then I assume that it can be coded without too much trouble.
    You know how that old saying goes..."When you assume, you make an ass out of u and me. Building an argument off of your perception of how AO is coded is not a good idea, just because no one outside FC really knows WTF AO is doing. It's even possible that making any change to crit calculations would take so much work that a whole patch would need to be dedicated to it. We just don't know.

Now as to your suggestion, I'm not sure what you're getting at. Do you suggest an across the board decrease in critical chances, in effect a negative CriticalIncrease mod on every character?

Yes, Shubalubdub, I propose a negative criticalincrease mod, or a positive criticaldecrease mod. And as for assuming, it was something I had to do to get my point across. It really doesn't matter how the game is coded. Funcom are going about this problem in a very roundabout way, and I just don't think it is necessary to complicate the issue with lowering initiatives on buffs and items, and making stuff non-stackable.

Jayhawk