Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Harassed by the morally superior.

Harassed by the morally superior.

I get into this line of thought at least once a year, during Halloween and such in AO. Now also with the 10'th year anniversary we got running atm.

Here's an example of what I'm on about:

A zone or tower-site is 25%. There are mobs there to kill for loot.
    The rules of Anarchy Online dictates that if you wander into a 25% zone, you CHOOSE to take the risk that this activity brings. You may die to an attacker. The attacker enters the field accepting the same risks. He may die as well.

Now, in PW today there were like 8 mostly level 220 omnis (doc, engie, fixer, shade, keeper, NT, MP, crat and so on) and 2 clanners in a 25% field hunting mobs (the clanners were me on my trader and an agent friend).

Me and the agent kill some random omnis, most of them were hard to kill because engie with 7x blockers and doc and MP and keeper and so on were teamed and running together in a big blob. We killed 3'ish from that team and another 3'ish random omnis that were not in that team. In between kills we would continue to kill mobs for loot.

When someone died, I would get tells that technically speaking is harassment. Calling me names, cursing at me and questioning my sexual preferences and such. Typical childish stuff. We never sent them any tells at all. So it was only their death within the 25% field that caused them to send such tells.

Now, don't get me wrong, I don't care enough about such tells to petition anyone for it. I don't care enough to tell them to stop sending them either. I just give them the silent treatment.

The interesting thing about this scenario is that these people run into a 25% zone, knowing full well what that means. They attack mobs and loot stuff. I don't know who they are and I don't know if they are interested in PvP or not. All I know is that they have chosen to enter a 25% zone and open themselves up for attack. There are even fields with same level mobs nearby that is still 75% that they could go to if they didn't want to be attacked. But as of right now, they are in the 25% field.

So when we attack them, we get harassed in tells because we are, to quote them, "attacking PvM'ers that don't care about PvP".

So to me this means one thing:

I play the game the way it's designed. You accept the risk of death by going into the field. This risk becomes a reality for you and then you think you are morally superior to me and are able to tell me that I'm doing something wrong? This logic means one thing and that is that you think everything that makes Anarchy online the game it is, should be completely put aside whenever you feel like it.

So I follow the rules, play as intended and don't harass anyone.
    These omnis want to ignore the rules that AO is built upon, don't play as intended and they harass people that are just playing the game like normal.

So these "PvM'ers" (their words) are doing everything wrong and they think they are morally superior. All I wanted to point out here is how.. incredibly misguided that is.

I understand that this is an anniversary and that you for some reason expect the game to be put on hold while you go out there and farm all your stuff for hours on end. But just because you think that, it doesn't mean that anyone has to follow suit with your line of thinking. It definitely doesn't mean that you get to harass them in tells for attacking you in a 25% zone.

You think you are being harassed by "those evil solo-kill farmers" when you die in a 25% zone. But the fact is, you are harassing them with your childish tells. You just need to know where you are in the space time continuum in order to realize that.

If you don't respect AO for what it is (and harass people that do), then I don't respect you. Now grow up and take some responsibility for your own actions.
    Last edited by Wrangeline; Jun 23rd, 2011 at 15:33:46.
    Veteran of Equilibrium

team titles dint farm themselves you know. imo more places in AO should be 25% gas or less...

Thumbs up In before accusations of OP QQ'ing

Outside of Battlestations, I haven't PVP'd, so I fall on the PVM side of things with a relatively weak setup and I totally get your point. I get excited when I wander into a weak suppression gas field, check the playfield list for anyone who hasn't gone anonymous, and then watch my six. If I think I'd be really inconvenienced right then by getting killed, I GTFO--just like any other zone with things that can kill me.

I wonder if these same people lecture Hecklers or other deadly mobs/factions when killed by them while hunting other game? /slap
    Don't mind me. I'm just passin' through.
    ::CLAN ADV :Chairman's Prize for Holy LOL recipient: RK-I::
    The Red Brotherhood
    If this is gonna be that kind of party, I'm gonna stick my leet in the mashed potatoes.”

Most communities eventually evolve codes of conduct that don't necessarily make sense. The problem with games like this is that they aren't supported in that behaviour by the game mechanics or the GMs. With no way to enforce their rules, they resort to verbal abuse.

I should still havea folder somewhere on my old computer with countless screenies of people telling me they hope my mother dies of cancer or I die in a car accident, I like sucking off dudes, etc., after I ganked them while they were flagged in Old Athens. The best ones were if they were duelling (still had to flagged for that) and you waited until the right time to get 'em both. The absolute fury it unleashed was hilarious and it was half the reason for doing it in the first place.

It's just the odd way people behave when you don't play as they consider you should.

Hell, AO's raidbots are the ultimate example of how people have this odd need to control the behaviour of others, even in games.

Yes if its a 25% zone people should expect to get attacked.

Occasionally, such as halloween etc, people who wouldnt normally go into those zones do so for reasons related to the event, rather than the state of the gas.

While you are perfectly within your rights to attack whoever you want, you are also free on such occasions to leave people alone.

If on such occasions a few people get upset, its a bit childish but not very surprising.

In an ideal world, they would suck it up and try elsewhere, and you would cut some slack for people who clearly arent there for the "fun" of pvp.
    stuff

Btw, remember the fun rk2 had with the Trinities? I miss the good ol' days of massive drama, moral outrage and nearly suicidal fits of rage <3

Within the rules, sure.

You can't seriously be surprised people dislike you for it though. It reeks of looking for cheap/easy PvP score.
    Sheffsam (200/0 Agent) E - Drsheffsam (200/0 Doc) E - Sheffsammy (200/0 NT) E - Sheffie (200/0 Trader) E - Sheffix (200/0 Fixer) E
    Sheffs (220/30/70 Doc) Crit - Nabcake (220/30/70 NT) Cheap & Effective - Sheff (220/30/67 Agent) Equip Undecided
    RK2 Neutral - Grey Area

Quote Originally Posted by Sheffsammie View Post
    Within the rules, sure.

You can't seriously be surprised people dislike you for it though. It reeks of looking for cheap/easy PvP score.
    I'm not surprised people dislike dying. Not dying is one of the main goals of any MMO and dying is almost always a bad thing.

People can have as narrow minded, badly informed, childish and generally unintelligent views on any situation as they want.

All I'm saying is that they should keep that to themselves and not send hateful tells to me during my gametime.

If this continues, I will eventually start to petition people for it. Not because I get so terribly offended by the random things they say but because these people really do need a slap on the wrist in order to understand that what they are doing is really not ok.
    Veteran of Equilibrium

Quote Originally Posted by Wrangeline View Post
    I'm not surprised people dislike dying. Not dying is one of the main goals of any MMO and dying is almost always a bad thing.

People can have as narrow minded, badly informed, childish and generally unintelligent views on any situation as they want.

All I'm saying is that they should keep that to themselves and not send hateful tells to me during my gametime.

If this continues, I will eventually start to petition people for it. Not because I get so terribly offended by the random things they say but because these people really do need a slap on the wrist in order to understand that what they are doing is really not ok.
    If you're not a true artist like me, and enjoy making collages out of them, /ignore is your friend.

Isn't this the beauty of the game? Retarded QQ from morally superior players? Personally, I find it more amusing than anything.
    Awwww muffin, need a tissue?

Quote Originally Posted by Obtena View Post
    Isn't this the beauty of the game? Retarded QQ from morally superior players? Personally, I find it more amusing than anything.
    Same. Whether it's people like like you just raped their mother in front of them because you're raiding outside their raidbot or some random guy demanding you leave a mob alone because 'he was there first', it's all rather hilarious.

So essentially, this thread is just QQ about QQ?

/me clears her throat and points at the title of her first reply in this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Hannavald View Post
    Essentially, this forum is just QQ about QQ.
    Fix'd.

unfortunately the fields where the mobs spawn are cold right now and i was packing boxes all day so i wasn't able to go out and farm soloscore oh well tomorrow's a new day

im moving in 2 weeks

Quote Originally Posted by Hannavald View Post
    So essentially, this thread is just QQ about QQ?
    Nah, I'm making a valid point about ingame QQ'ing. Then other people are QQ'ing about my valid point about ingame QQ'ing.
    Veteran of Equilibrium

Quote Originally Posted by Arriviste View Post
    /me clears her throat and points at the title of her first reply in this thread.
    Don't get me wrong, im just surprised there are people who find situations described in the OP annoying, personally i find it most hilarious. Each time something like this happens, i picture a 'angry german kid' from you tube video and have a good laugh.

Quote Originally Posted by CuisinartBlade View Post
    im moving in 2 weeks
    Still gonna play in Hawaii Primetime?
    The Fine Arts:
    Mime | Surgery | Zen
    The Traitor

Xirayne: I couldn't care less about who is clueless or what the exact definition "real" pvp is in ao, I want "fun" pvp!

Quote Originally Posted by Wrangeline View Post

The interesting thing about this scenario is that these people run into a 25% zone, knowing full well what that means. They attack mobs and loot stuff. I don't know who they are and I don't know if they are interested in PvP or not. All I know is that they have chosen to enter a 25% zone and open themselves up for attack. There are even fields with same level mobs nearby that is still 75% that they could go to if they didn't want to be attacked. But as of right now, they are in the 25% field.

If you don't respect AO for what it is (and harass people that do), then I don't respect you. Now grow up and take some responsibility for your own actions.
    I agree with your point, people should know what they do and the risks.
    But on a sidenote, I am one of those who run around in such zones, not always paying attention to whatever % it is, just lookin for loot. Sometimes I get killed, wich is no problem. It is just a setback of a few minutes and Im hunting again, no worries and no hate-tells from me.
    It is as you say, a part of the game.
    Still, I cant help wondering where the fun is in killing pvm'ers like me. Some of my toons isnt really set up for anything and cant be a challenge at all. I have even had social toons on follow killed by the same mighty pvp'er twice. What fun..
    Not complaining, it is a risk and it is a part of it all, just curious.

Another sidenote is "playing as intended". Is anyone really doing that and do anyone know whats intended anymore?
    Last edited by Dummy; Jun 23rd, 2011 at 18:39:46.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast