Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Request for Community help - AO & Awesomonium Now Working In Wine

I'm not arguing anything, nor have I. I think Anarchy needs to run on Linux too, as per my post.

There have been ways found to play ao on not-windows systems now.
    Is it an idea to sum up here how to get ao running for these OS'es? i think some people might still be looking for a guide on how to do this but have no clue how to find/do this.

And if fc is actually reading this, take your lessons how these guys did it and give official support on how to get them to work.
    I do not agree with the fact that every mac/Linux user should be a 1st-class coder/programmer.
    Knights of Ka
    The Elysium Alliance

Quote Originally Posted by Ocene View Post
    Einstein said, there's two things that are infinite.. the universe and human stupidity... and I'm not sure about the universe.

Quote Originally Posted by Xatgunner View Post
    There have been ways found to play ao on not-windows systems now.
    Is it an idea to sum up here how to get ao running for these OS'es? i think some people might still be looking for a guide on how to do this but have no clue how to find/do this.

And if fc is actually reading this, take your lessons how these guys did it and give official support on how to get them to work.
    I do not agree with the fact that every mac/Linux user should be a 1st-class coder/programmer.
    http://aodevs.com/index.php/topic,852.0.html

This is not a fix unfortunately, this is just a workaround.
    There's no lesson for FC to be learned here.

AO is working as intended. It's Wine that is broken and needs fixing.
    That's why this thread exists, to encourage Wine developers into fixing whatever it is that prevents AO from working on it.
    Formerly Vhab.
    Once upon a time ruled a server. And then sold out. Sorry.

There is no need for Neo Vortex's dll, just get Wine 1.3.6's sources.
    Apply patch linked in this comment.
    Configure, compile and install.

Works at least for me.

Don't use 1.3.7 or newer versions, those have a regression bug that crashes AO's client.exe on startup (stack overflow error).
    Last edited by Luusirppi; Dec 22nd, 2010 at 06:34:27.

Quote Originally Posted by Luusirppi View Post

Works at least for me.

Don't use 1.3.7 or newer versions, those have a regression bug that crashes AO's client.exe on startup (stack overflow error).
    I guess it depends on the platform you are running. I have it up and running with wine-devel 1.3.7 on Mac OS X 10.6 AND Neo-Vortex's dll trick.
    Level 200 Nanomage Nano-Technician on Rimor speaking... - Unit Commander of Knights of Ka
    Toons:(*=froobs)
    Zzzzzzwap* (inofficial main),
    Krisplin* (main, but buff whore),
    Theophrastus* (piercing doc - aka froob shade)
    Kosminski (Shade - Yes, i went paid...)
    Codeleet (s10 & pvp)
    ~ Founder of TL5+ - Rimor TL5+ froob raid force ~ || ~ My Tweet... ~

Quote Originally Posted by Luusirppi View Post

Works at least for me.

Quote Originally Posted by DocJones View Post
    I guess it depends on the platform you are running. I have it up and running with wine-devel 1.3.7 on Mac OS X 10.6 AND Neo-Vortex's dll trick.
    See the highlighted part.
    If you follow the instructions in Luusirppi's post, you won't have to deal with the DLL swapping every time you start AO.
    ::: My Tools & Stuff :::
    ::: Cratine Savagedheals Enfine Zoewrangle Demoder :: Solitron Demotionform :: IRC Demoder Savagedlight :::
    ::: AOItems :: Blog :: CIDB :: HelpBot :: ItemsBot :: PlanetMap Viewer :: Tower Wars :: Twitter :::

I am pretty sure i tried it already. But i will try and switch to 1.3.6 and give it another shot . My 1.3.7 works flawless so far.
    Level 200 Nanomage Nano-Technician on Rimor speaking... - Unit Commander of Knights of Ka
    Codeleet (s10 & pvp)

The patch should eliminate need for the dll swapping, but if the 1.3.7. otherwise works for you then by all means, use that version. Although I haven't managed to test if 1.3.7 works because of that other crash I'm experiencing.

Without the patch and with original awesomium.dll, symptoms are that awesomium.log (in AO's folder) contains line:
    [41:51:10049:FATAL:network_change_notifier_win.cc(5 4)] Check failed: 997L == ret (997 vs. 50) or something similar.
    And AO crashes on startup after fixme:iphlpapi:NotifyAddrChange is printed to Terminal.

With patch + original dll, the log file should be empty and AO doesn't crash anymore (at least to that particular location).

good news, will wait until it hits the Fedora repo :P
    You have already reached the maximum number of allowed accounts
    You are not allowed to create any new accounts

oooh yea right, Doc mentioned something about Wine indeed a while ago.
    Forgot about it.
    Knights of Ka
    The Elysium Alliance

Quote Originally Posted by Ocene View Post
    Einstein said, there's two things that are infinite.. the universe and human stupidity... and I'm not sure about the universe.

The patch also "works" for the stable version of Wine (1.2.2) but we (the Linux/Mac crowd) still don't have access to the in-game store (AwesomiumProcess.exe crashes when you try to open the in-game store and you get a big white window), so this is not a 100% fix.

I also noticed that Client.exe never exits after it looks like it quits (still running if you do a ps). I have to either kill it or do a wineserver -k to get rid of the lingering processes.
    Froobalicious General of Barador Arin.

-- Playing AO for six years, still a nuub gimp, and proud of it!

Dodging the whole OS comparison bullet, we need AO to work properly under wine some of us have paid full year subscriptions and need the game to rock on our macs!

Quick status report and update. The two main obstructions to playing AO include (most seriously) the crash caused by Awesomium.dll and the inability to steer or look with the mouse anymore. NeoVortex provided a dummy DLL that exports all the Awesomium.dll symbols but doesn't actually do anything, and as a result, if you replace the real Awesomium.dll with NeoVortex's then AO starts up you can play AO. The drawback is needing to swap in the stub Awesomium.dll after the integrity check but swap it back before the next time you launch AO so that it will pass the other integrity check. A bit of a pain.

If one applies the following patch: http://bugs.winehq.org/attachment.cgi?id=30775 to Wine versions 1.2.2 or 1.3.4 through 1.3.6 then Client.exe will not crash using the real Awesomium.dll. No DLL swapping required. Note that a different bug creeped into Wine somewhere between 1.3.6 and 1.3.7 such that 1.3.7 and later versions of Wine crash immediately when the client starts for other reasons. If a version of wine later than 1.3.6 works for you with DLL swapping, this patch will likely still work for you. If you attempt to open the in-game store, the AwesomiumProcess.exe will crash, but the game will continue. You will get a big white window instead of the in-game store.

If one applies the following patch to wine 1.3.6: http://bugs.winehq.org/attachment.cgi?id=32688 or this patch to wine 1.2.2 http://bugs.winehq.org/attachment.cgi?id=32705 it implements raw mouse input in DirectInput and restores mouse-look and mouse-steer to AO on Wine. Thanks to Macrosun for pointing out what the problem actually was.

Outstanding issues still include getting AwesomiumProcess.exe not to crash so Wine users can access the in-game store, and fixing the crash-on-start-up problem for Wine versions 1.3.7 and later, but the above two patches restores the most significant game-play issues.

Many thanks to the members of the Wine dev community who jumped on these issues for us. Oh, and Happy New Year.
    Last edited by Lliers; Jan 3rd, 2011 at 01:26:25.
    Froobalicious General of Barador Arin.

-- Playing AO for six years, still a nuub gimp, and proud of it!

Nice summary. I also have a partially working patch for Wine to create a builtin version of Awesomium.dll that exports the minimal stuff to work (presumably the same stuff as NeoVortex's dummy DLL) , which should work with the latest Wine & avoid the need for the DLL swap. I'll finish it and post it when I get a chance.

Quote Originally Posted by Lliers View Post
    Note that a different bug creeped into Wine somewhere between 1.3.6 and 1.3.7 such that 1.3.7 and later versions of Wine crash immediately when the client starts for other reasons.
    The crash can be resolved with this patch: http://bugs.winehq.org/attachment.cgi?id=32720.

Seems that it's possible to use the ingame browser as well now.

http://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=25206#c37

Quote Originally Posted by Janne Hakonen
    I think I found a way to stop the crash with AwesomiumProcess.exe when you open
    Item Store.

Open dlls/ntll/signal_i386.c.
    Look for RtlCaptureStackBackTrace function, it's on line 2421 (at least with
    Wine version 1.3.10).
    Remove the function's content and replace it with:
    return 0;

Does this work for you?
    Luke Bratch (Elbee) then confirmed with a screenshot that it's working. Good job Janne and everyone else who has been helping!
    Lupusceleri L220/30/70 Agent -- Advisor of Spartans -- equip endgame AR setup endgame def setup <3 Azs wearer of Cheree's pants
    Arrowsmith -- Arafellin -- Alphacenta -- Aesculapias -- Wolfseye -- Lysdexic

TL5 enf twink: im out those MPs are to overpowered

crattey: The Balance Discussion forum. Where common sense goes to die.

Have tried it quickly, but doesnt work. But then again, it seems i fail in applying patches correctly in macports. gonna try later and report...
    Codeleet (s10 & pvp)

Quote Originally Posted by DocJones View Post
    Have tried it quickly, but doesnt work. But then again, it seems i fail in applying patches correctly in macports. gonna try later and report...
    Yeah it didn't work for me either. Well, 3 out of 4 patches worked but not the one that enables the ingame browser. Made a comment on the Wine Bugzilla.

Was using 1.3.10, but it seems 1.3.11 is out now so I'll try with that later.
    Lupusceleri L220/30/70 Agent -- Advisor of Spartans -- equip endgame AR setup endgame def setup <3 Azs wearer of Cheree's pants

Quote Originally Posted by Kintaii View Post
    Just for the record, I am *so* not a Linux user, so I'm afraid you guys won't be getting any help from me. I'm a Windows man only - All that Linux stuff goes way over my head, and I'm not afraid to admit that. ;P Still wish you guys luck, though, in finding a permanent solution. =)
    would it be possible to add a command-line switch to load ao without the shop?
    Crackle 214/22/58 Agent
    Midget 170/20/42 Agent
    Ynarekie 90/9/21 Agent
    Pewpewlzrs 40/4/7 Agent
    Whippits 30/3/7 Agent

Quote Originally Posted by Ichu View Post
    would it be possible to add a command-line switch to load ao without the s????
    They've already been asked for a way to disable the browser, but Kintaii and co have already stated that they plan to use the browser for a whole lot more than just that shop - for example a petition system.

Besides, as you can see in the thread there is already a lead on getting it to work with Wine.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast