Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WTB option to disable Awesomium

WTB option to disable Awesomium

ok, since Funcom was suckered into buying a commercial licence for a malware product, I'd say the ingame browser concept has failed.

especially now since Linux/Max users cannot play anymore.

I purpose an option to disable Awesomium, rather then just embedding it entirely.

btw, the new in-game store reminds me of Maplestory, which I will be playing until there is a fix for "the minorities"
    Later.
    Last edited by Xyphos; Nov 19th, 2010 at 22:14:07.
    "When life knocks you on your butt, you have to get back up and punch it in the face." --DJ Ashval of GSP

Nullified "Bitbucket" Deadcode - 220/25 Neut NanoMage Engi
    Bits10 - 150/14 Clan Opifex Trader

This is our chance funcom, don't mess it up!
    Fenikkusu ::.. 220/28/70 Keeper ..::
    Busata ::.. 220/21/xx Trader ..::
    Khars ::.. 150/12/xx Enforcer ..::
    Proud members of TETN.

It's not going away guys , Means has spoken.
    220/30 Ranged Advy, Neut 'n proud of it. Moxet
    220/25 NT Moxilla
    220/29 Moxdacrat
    150/14 Doc
    200/18 MP
    various other bits n bobs

Sandbox the process if you're that worried.

It doesn't even run on my game setup. Maybe because I use old custom GUI.
    Renowned jester of the double AS Tigress

MP in sneak eNSDed me and did about 20k damage in 10-12 seconds

Awesomium supports mac, but seems like Crossover dont like it when using AO :/
    /Kehaan - lvl 220 Crat - Atrox/
    /Kehaax - lvl 150 Fixer - Atrox/
    /Kehtra - lvl 210 Trader - Atrox/
    /Kehelectric - lvl 165 NT - Atrox/
    /Kehxao - lvl 150 Doctor - Solitus!?/
    A proud advisor of Cerberus

It can't be deactivated.
    Why?
    Awesomium is a C++ API. If you use it in your program, you need to link to Awesomium.dll. This makes your .exe dependand from the .dll. You cannot run the program without.
    There is a way to load .dlls without linking to it actually. But then the .dll must provide functions which are declared "extern C" which prevents namemangling.
    Then you can load this function into your program and get maybe a pointer from there to classes etc. But Awesomium does not support this way. So there is no way to just "disable" it, by an option.
    Hope this clarifies things.
    regards
    Happy employee of the Omni Tek corporation.
    I am destruction. I am creation. I am Engineer.
    Free Tradeskill Services on RK1. Includes AI Armor.

AOMover | AwesOme Script
    Open Source Licenses, enjoy your freedom

i doubt even a linux version of awesomium would help ...

only hope i have is by the wine developers.
    lotro made it, eve made it, so we can do it too anyhow ... i hope
    You have already reached the maximum number of allowed accounts
    You are not allowed to create any new accounts

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyMox View Post
    It's not going away guys , Means has spoken.
    Quote Originally Posted by Means
    I'm also certain that a workaround will be found for this by the communities that made it possible in the first place. I might not be today and it might not be tomorrow...but someone will figure it out. Our product works just fine...it is someone else's that is broken.
    He's right, its wine that need to evolve like it did (in honestly a fast way) the last years.
    AO made a step ahead, environments have to grow with that.

Just another attemp to make you vote for this problem at wineHQ for a fix.

http://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=25206

Lets hope itwont take too long™ ...
    You have already reached the maximum number of allowed accounts
    You are not allowed to create any new accounts

Crap like this is why gaming under Linux is still in such a sad state. Developers just don't care. Especially with OSX now part of the family, you'd think there'd be more interest, but nooo.

I'm really curious where that 1.4% figure is coming from. I think Means would be surprised how many people only run Windows for the games support, and would ditch it in a heartbeat if given the option.
    Last edited by MajorOutage; Nov 20th, 2010 at 10:57:43.
    Because Race Yalm

I bet if a decent Linux MMO came to be, alot of people would be installing Cygwin on their winbox
    then one day, something is added that don't work under Cygwin, and the devs say "We only support Linux"
    and the windows community would feel how I feel right now.
    "When life knocks you on your butt, you have to get back up and punch it in the face." --DJ Ashval of GSP

Quote Originally Posted by MajorOutage View Post
    Crap like this is why gaming under Linux is still in such a sad state. Developers just don't care. Especially with OSX now part of the family, you'd think there'd be more interest, but nooo.

I'm really curious where that 1.4% figure is coming from. I think Means would be surprised how many people only run Windows for the games support, and would ditch it in a heartbeat if given the option.
    Developers have to rebuild the game for Open GL, from scratch, because most game use direct x. You have to rule out people who are dual boxing or make it through wine or it's gaming variants, and there is quite a lot of them, investment vs return for linux on games is pretty poor.

Of course MS would make direct x for linux but that would be sending a wad of cash to the neighbour.

And even then perfs would be inferior, because tbh windows is pretty good at this. I consider Linux as my work platform and that's it.
    Server first !!! Neutral Solitus Male Soldier named Boltgun to wear a short with pink spots on RK1 !!!
    N E U T R A L I Z E R S

If Microsoft would acknowledge Linux as a OS that can live in peace besides Windows, they even could make a big sack of money with it.
    Porting to Visual Studio to Linux anyone? The Debugger of that IDE is really great, thats why I do not want to touch programming on Linux. I just cannot live with GDB, since VS really offers here. Those 150€ for VC++ Professional really where the best investment for my hobby.
    But I go offtopic.
    Anyway, Microsoft could make DirectX for Linux but they don't want to because they are just stubborn. They missed the internet in the glorious days, they will miss other new technolgies and will never cooporate with open source groups.
    Sadly. But I have to admit, Steve Balmer is a good motivator and dancer..

AOMover | AwesOme Script

Quote Originally Posted by raw_fox View Post
    He's right, its wine that need to evolve like it did (in honestly a fast way) the last years.
    AO made a step ahead, environments have to grow with that.

Just another attemp to make you vote for this problem at wineHQ for a fix.

http://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=25206

Lets hope itwont take too long™ ...
    Yeah, it would be really helpful to bump the ticket. But it would be even more helpful to have a few more informations about how they incorporated the DLL and how the general process structure is. The pure existance of the new (AwesomeProcess).exe and a DLL with additional debug symbols makes it hard to locate the *real* problem.

Eve did it, Lotro as well. Anarchy messed up with it (from our point of view), so what did they do in a different way than eve or lotro? Answers, that would really help the WINE community to overcome this problem.
    Level 200 Nanomage Nano-Technician on Rimor speaking... - Unit Commander of Knights of Ka
    Toons:(*=froobs)
    Zzzzzzwap* (inofficial main),
    Krisplin* (main, but buff whore),
    Theophrastus* (piercing doc - aka froob shade)
    Kosminski (Shade - Yes, i went paid...)
    Codeleet (s10 & pvp)
    ~ Founder of TL5+ - Rimor TL5+ froob raid force ~ || ~ My Tweet... ~

Quote Originally Posted by Jerusha View Post
    Porting to Visual Studio to Linux anyone?
    Code::Blocks comes pretty darn close to VC++, as the C::B project progresses it'll be a great development environment.
    $ sudo apt-get install codeblocks

I just haven't figured out GUI programming on it yet, it feels a bit awkward.

Quote Originally Posted by boltgun View Post
    Developers have to rebuild the game for Open GL, from scratch, because most game use direct x. You have to rule out people who are dual boxing or make it through wine or it's gaming variants, and there is quite a lot of them, investment vs return for linux on games is pretty poor.

Of course MS would make direct x for linux but that would be sending a wad of cash to the neighbour.

And even then perfs would be inferior, because tbh windows is pretty good at this. I consider Linux as my work platform and that's it.
    Linux isn't a poor gaming platform at all. In fact technically, in many ways, it is superior.

OpenSDL? OpenAL? Alsa? OpenGL? OpenGL 4.x is shaping up to make DirectX 11 look rather silly indeed.

When game developers actually make an effort to support Linux, the end product usually ends up running better than the Windows counterpart, see: Quake 3, Quake 4, QuakeLive, Unreal Tournament 2k4.

Besides, iD's next game/engine is all OpenGL based, it's hardly a dead project. Most houses just can't be bothered stepping outside of the established and more importantly, closed source Microsoft circlejerk.

People who say things like "Windows is just better at it" are sticking their oar in on a conversation they know far too little about. Linux gaming lacks because of game developers not releasing for the platform, it has nothing to do with what Linux can and cannot do.

Anyway, this landscape will change sooner rather than later. With Steam already on the Mac and coming soon to Linux, it would be foolish for people to keep ignoring an untapped revenue stream. Linux/OSX is no longer the pithy "1%" of gamers and hasn't been for some time.

No one is asking FC to start porting AO over to OpenGL for it to work on Linux, graphically it already works on Linux, DirectX support in Wine isn't bad at all. Problems arise with new things like the in game browser because Wine doesn't support it yet.
    Member of Spartans
    Hacre/Solitus/Keeper/220/29/70 - Ninpopotamus/Solitus/NT/220/30/70 - Charmming/Opifex/Crat/220/30/70
    Quote Originally Posted by randomalpha View Post
    in the end soldier is not Op or even near from that never was never will be just for the record only keepers are the ones before soldiers on the nerfest list
    Genius at work.

Quote Originally Posted by Xyphos View Post
    Code::Blocks comes pretty darn close to VC++, as the C::B project progresses it'll be a great development environment.
    $ sudo apt-get install codeblocks

I just haven't figured out GUI programming on it yet, it feels a bit awkward.
    C::B has a poor Debugger compared to Visual Studio.
    GUI Programming: Use wxWidgets. My Choice.

Problems arise with new things like the in game browser because Wine doesn't support it yet.
    But can you blame Funcom for this? I don't think so.

AOMover | AwesOme Script

But can you blame Funcom for this? I don't think so.
    I can blame them for using something that breaks the game running in Wine, yes. Who else do I blame? You? Did you add the feature that stopped the game from working perfectly fine in Wine?
    Member of Spartans
    Hacre/Solitus/Keeper/220/29/70 - Ninpopotamus/Solitus/NT/220/30/70 - Charmming/Opifex/Crat/220/30/70
    in the end soldier is not Op or even near from that never was never will be just for the record only keepers are the ones before soldiers on the nerfest list
    Genius at work.

Quote Originally Posted by Hacre View Post
    I can blame them for using something that breaks the game running in Wine, yes. Who else do I blame? You? Did you add the feature that stopped the game from working perfectly fine in Wine?
    Your logic is flawed somehow. As Means said, you are using an unsopported OS. You have to live with the consequences. Decision -> Consequence. You decided to play AO on an unsupported OS. So this is the consequence. Unfortunately.

See, I am not against Linux or Mac. The quite opposite is the fact. I am an Open Source Hobby Developer. I love freedom. In fact I use it too for some purposes.
    But your Crusade here won't change anything.
    If Game Companies would start to develop for Linux today, I would be the first person to throw Windows off my Computer.
    Get yourself Windows XP and start dualbooting. Or wait for someone to fix it. There is nothing else you can do.
    regards

AOMover | AwesOme Script

Your logic is flawed somehow. As Means said, you are using an unsopported OS. You have to live with the consequences. Decision -> Consequence. You decided to play AO on an unsupported OS. So this is the consequence. Unfortunately.

See, I am not against Linux or Mac. The quite opposite is the fact. I am an Open Source Hobby Developer. I love freedom. In fact I use it too for some purposes.
    But your Crusade here won't change anything.
    If Game Companies would start to develop for Linux today, I would be the first person to throw Windows off my Computer.
    Get yourself Windows XP and start dualbooting. Or wait for someone to fix it. There is nothing else you can do.
    regards
    There is no crusade. It is merely a in the direction of a change, an addition I didn't like in the first place, breaking something else that was relevant to my gameplay. That is all, no more no less. I'm aware FC don't officially support Linux but I'm entitled to also chip in with some good old fashioned "haha what" when numbers like "1.4%" are thrown around when really, there's no way to tell who does play on Linux, OSX or Windows and who doesn't, without outright asking people, due to how Wine reports the OS version, assuming FC collect that info anyway.

Funcom are of course free to ignore Linux. As a Linux zealot, supporter and member of the FSF I'd be negligent if I didn't point out that failing to support a growing userbase of OSX+Linux is becoming more and more foolhardy. Steam see that, iD have seen that for years.

It wouldn't have hurt Funcom to give a heads up that the in game browser would break people running on *nix. I know for a fact there are FC employees that use it.

It's the difference between a "oh well guess I'll fire up a Windows partition ready for the patch so I can be ready to play and check out the stuff" and a "GRRRR MY S**T DOESN'T WORK NOW I HAVE TO ARSE ABOUT WITH ANOTHER BLOODY DUAL BOOT, FU TOO THEN". This is also known as good customer service and wouldn't have cost FC a cent/penny to do.

It's interesting as well you saying "just grab a copy of Windows XP and dual boot" as if this is some cheap option, assuming we're not advocating piracy here. Many people, myself included, hold a grand total of zero valid Windows licenses and pay for games based on how well they work in Wine. When that functionality changes do you think a: I'm going to shell out on a Windows license or b: move on to another game that (still) works?
    Last edited by Hacre; Nov 21st, 2010 at 19:36:06.
    Member of Spartans
    Genius at work.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast