Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Linux/Mac Wine/Crossover Headcount

I can play on Windows, but I don't normally, and I probably won't be renewing my subscription until I can play on my Mac again.
    Where was it when I first heard that sweet sound of humility?
    It came to my ears in the god damn loveliest melody
    How grateful I was then to be part of the mystery
    To love and to be loved
    Let's just hope that is enough

Come on Guys, you all knew that AO only supports Windows. Whats the big problem now?
    Happy employee of the Omni Tek corporation.
    I am destruction. I am creation. I am Engineer.
    Free Tradeskill Services on RK1. Includes AI Armor.

AOMover | AwesOme Script
    Open Source Licenses, enjoy your freedom

Quote Originally Posted by Jerusha View Post
    Come on Guys, you all knew that AO only supports Windows. Whats the big problem now?
    the problem is, even if only windows is supported, the devs have now made it impossible to play on any other system that worked before.

I did some homework;
    1) awsom DLL in the SDK that you link your application to is only 9mb.
    2) the one AO ships with now, is 20mb.
    which means, funcom has purposely modified the SDK's version of the DLL somehow, and it crashes when ran in WINE/Crossover.

3) moreover, the AwsomeProcess.exe isn't part of the SDK so that's another one of Funcom's doings, and Macrosun stated in IRC it was "to keep things isolated" even if the EXE is flagged and deleted as a virus.

4) when I ran a command-line viewer for when AO launches the awesom EXE, I noticed that all of the command-line arguments are in linux-style
    eg, --enable-this-option which I think is a blatent mockery indeed, for something that "only supports windows"

imho, it would have been better to instead run the EXE as a thread from within the DLL, rather then as a seprate process, if the thread crashed, it could be restarted without effecting anything, and virus scanners would not be deleting important application Dependantcies.
    Last edited by Xyphos; Nov 20th, 2010 at 10:46:40.
    "When life knocks you on your butt, you have to get back up and punch it in the face." --DJ Ashval of GSP

Nullified "Bitbucket" Deadcode - 220/25 Neut NanoMage Engi
    Bits10 - 150/14 Clan Opifex Trader

1+2.) True. But the debug dll is 60mb. I guess they did a custom build with some debug symbol enabled. It is very hard to bump a dll from 9mb to 20mb with a few changes here and there. But I don't know what they did exactly.

3.) Eve Online does it the same way.

Maybe those pointers help ya:
    http://support.eveonline.com/Pages/K...le.aspx?id=499
    http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManage...sion&iId=18563

4.) Come on Xyphos.. --enable-option is not Linux exclusive :P. Get serious 8).

edit:
    I compared both DLL, the original I got from awesomium sdk and the one from funcom.
    The Funcom ones does contain a lot more stuff... like OpenGL Calls. The original does
    not contain this. But I don't know if it is a custom build if they got Source Access. I have
    the free sdk only.
    http://img696.imageshack.us/img696/2160/awesomium.jpg

The Image marked with "O" is the original DLL, the one marked with F is the Funcom-DLL.

I understand your pain. But it is somewhat unfair to complain and to make funcom responsible for your preference not to use Windows. I would hate it though to loose you as a player in the Game.
    regards
    Last edited by Jerusha; Nov 20th, 2010 at 10:55:30.

AOMover | AwesOme Script

Quote Originally Posted by Xyphos View Post
    the problem is, even if only windows is supported, the devs have now made it impossible to play on any other system that worked before.
    Yes. They no longer support windows versions earlier than Windows XP. This means they dropped Windows 2000 and 9x, plus NT (if it ever ran on NT).
    If you have paid attention, Microsoft stopped supporting these operating systems ages ago.

You need to go over to winehq and bump the bug ticket. It's a problem with Wine. AO was never (officially) intended to run on Wine.
    I did some homework;
    1) awsom DLL in the SDK that you link your application to is only 9mb.
    2) the one AO ships with now, is 20mb.
    which means, funcom has purposely modified the SDK's version of the DLL somehow, and it crashes when ran in WINE/Crossover.
    As stated in the post above mine, most likely due to debug symbols. There's no way for us to know for sure, though.
    3) moreover, the AwsomeProcess.exe isn't part of the SDK so that's another one of Funcom's doings, and Macrosun stated in IRC it was "to keep things isolated" even if the EXE is flagged and deleted as a virus.
    Is Funcom to be blamed for false positives in crappy AV software too now?
    4) when I ran a command-line viewer for when AO launches the awesom EXE, I noticed that all of the command-line arguments are in linux-style
    eg, --enable-this-option which I think is a blatent mockery indeed, for something that "only supports windows"
    Windows doesn't really have any style of command line switches. Microsoft use /X, but whoever makes the windows app has to implement parsing of command line options themselves. Maybe whoever implemented this parsing likes *nix' command line arguments in general, because they make more sense than the windows ones?
    PS: To follow your argumentation technique, GNU/Linux stole that command line format from UNIX. Why doesn't GNU/Linux run native UNIX binaries?
    imho, it would have been better to instead run the EXE as a thread from within the DLL, rather then as a seprate process, if the thread crashed, it could be restarted without effecting anything, and virus scanners would not be deleting important application Dependantcies.
    See your earlier statement about how Macrosun said the separate process was for isolation. Again, false positives happen; Did you see the thread(s) about some AVs finding a keylogger in client.exe? A nice false positive, most likely caused by the new input system.
    Last edited by Demoder; Nov 20th, 2010 at 14:07:35.
    ::: My Tools & Stuff :::
    ::: Cratine Savagedheals Enfine Zoewrangle Demoder :: Solitron Demotionform :: IRC Demoder Savagedlight :::
    ::: AOItems :: Blog :: CIDB :: HelpBot :: ItemsBot :: PlanetMap Viewer :: Tower Wars :: Twitter :::

microsofts support for win2k ran out in the middle of this year. this means the free supply of security relevant patches. i stop here, rest of your post is at the same level.

Quote Originally Posted by Eiffel View Post
    microsofts support for win2k ran out in the middle of this year. this means the free supply of security relevant patches. i stop here, rest of your post is at the same level.
    And if you actually read my post, you'd see I didn't only mention win2k.
    Please send me a PM with what you think is wrong in my above post, as I'm really interested in knowing.
    Last edited by Demoder; Nov 20th, 2010 at 20:33:40.
    ::: Cratine Savagedheals Enfine Zoewrangle Demoder :: Solitron Demotionform :: IRC Demoder Savagedlight :::
    ::: AOItems :: Blog :: CIDB :: HelpBot :: ItemsBot :: PlanetMap Viewer :: Tower Wars :: Twitter :::

indeed:
    Quote Originally Posted by Demoder View Post
    If you have paid attention, Microsoft stopped supporting these operating systems ages ago.

Xyphos: If you actually want a solution to this problem, you should add a note about the winehq bug ticket in the OP to have people bump it so the winehq folks get around to it sooner. Seeing as you've already bumped it, but it's not in the OP yet, it's tempting to question your motives.
    Last edited by Demoder; Nov 20th, 2010 at 21:00:25.

Quote Originally Posted by Eiffel View Post
    indeed:
    Long story short: You're not making sense, and we're derailing this thread. Please send me a PM if you still think my post is horrible.
    Last edited by Demoder; Nov 20th, 2010 at 21:05:42.

+.5 have a windows and a mac laptop and i use both.

I'm just moderately technologically savvy, so for now I'm locked out of playing on my Mac in OSX.

However, I also have Bootcamp so I am still able to play on my MacBook (Late 2007) that way.

Once someone comes up with a pretty much idiot proof work around, I'll probably go back to playing in OSX. I don't mind logging into Bootcamp that much though, since when I have time to play these days (rare event), I play for long chunks of time, so rebooting isn't that bad.
    Ruffixx, 220/30/66 Omni Opifex Fixer
    Pugilius, 206/30/49 Omni Opifex MA
    Blessedbrawl, 200/0 Omni Froob Opifex MA
    Medor, 199/23/42 Neutral Solitus Doctor
    Vindicius, 189/20/46 Omni Atrox Enforcer
    Evilrilius, 100/10 Omni Nano MP - Foremans Killing Machine

Proud General of Obsidian Order

The Funcom ones does contain ... OpenGL Calls.
    Now that is just comical.
    Because Race Yalm

like OpenGL Calls
    This isn't entirely strange.
    Pretty much all of chromium is linked into that thing.
    One of the things Google has been working on is GPU accelerating web rendering.
    Then there's also features like WebGL they've been mentioning which likely also goes to OpenGL.
    Formerly Vhab.
    Once upon a time ruled a server. And then sold out. Sorry.

Is Funcom to be blamed for false positives in crappy AV software too now?
    They're to be blamed when their code makes itself look like a trojan.

Windows doesn't really have any style of command line switches. Microsoft use /X, but whoever makes the windows app has to implement parsing of command line options themselves. Maybe whoever implemented this parsing likes *nix' command line arguments in general, because they make more sense than the windows ones?
    PS: To follow your argumentation technique, GNU/Linux stole that command line format from UNIX. Why doesn't GNU/Linux run native UNIX binaries?
    *BBZZZZT*

The --double-dash --sentence-style of command line switch is a GNU standard, not a POSIX one. Linux makes itself compliant with POSIX by having -x -o type switches supported as well. In case you're not aware, GNU are one of the founding members of the FSF as well as a party carrying huge responsibility for founding Linux that we know today. They're also the originator for the GPL and its variants.

Oh and GNU/Linux can run native UNIX binaries provided you have the support compiled into the kernel however no one bothers since practically anything useful for UNIX has been ported over, or has the source code available to simply compile it on a Linux platform.

If you want to try and sound SMRT, make sure you have your facts straight.

Quote Originally Posted by Lupusceleri View Post
    Oh the irony.

Awesomium is based on WebKit and Chromium.

WebKit is a branch-off based on Konqueror's KHTML engine, KDE's default and opensource browser. Chromium is the non-branded opensource version of Google Chrome's browser, which is based on various opensource projects including WebKit (type "about:credits" into your browser).

In other words Awesomium wouldn't even exist if not for "these bearded guys who live in basements".
    It's worth noting as well that by not releasing source for Awesomium they're in a bit of a legal minefield since webkit is LGPL licensed.

It's also worth noting that the wintard trolls should realise there are a great many components to Windows that wouldn't exist without *nix. Like the current TCP/IP stack, the kernel/driver/UI model, etc.
    Last edited by Hacre; Nov 22nd, 2010 at 16:00:14.
    Member of Spartans
    Hacre/Solitus/Keeper/220/29/70 - Ninpopotamus/Solitus/NT/220/30/70 - Charmming/Opifex/Crat/220/30/70
    Quote Originally Posted by randomalpha View Post
    in the end soldier is not Op or even near from that never was never will be just for the record only keepers are the ones before soldiers on the nerfest list
    Genius at work.

Quote Originally Posted by Hacre View Post
    It's worth noting as well that by not releasing source for Awesomium they're in a bit of a legal minefield since webkit is LGPL licensed.
    from a PM discussion i had with Means about the issue:

Quote Originally Posted by Means
    I also feel for the non-windows people as the Awesomium version we are using is not open-source like the free one offered on his site...as such we can't "Hand it out" to that community even if we would like to.
    Level 200 Nanomage Nano-Technician on Rimor speaking... - Unit Commander of Knights of Ka
    Toons:(*=froobs)
    Zzzzzzwap* (inofficial main),
    Krisplin* (main, but buff whore),
    Theophrastus* (piercing doc - aka froob shade)
    Kosminski (Shade - Yes, i went paid...)
    Codeleet (s10 & pvp)
    ~ Founder of TL5+ - Rimor TL5+ froob raid force ~ || ~ My Tweet... ~

Quote Originally Posted by DocJones View Post
    from a PM discussion i had with Means about the issue:

The free one on his site isn't opensource either, you need to sign a contract to get access to its source.
    Lupusceleri L220/30/70 Agent -- Advisor of Spartans -- equip endgame AR setup endgame def setup <3 Azs wearer of Cheree's pants
    Arrowsmith -- Arafellin -- Alphacenta -- Aesculapias -- Wolfseye -- Lysdexic

TL5 enf twink: im out those MPs are to overpowered

crattey: The Balance Discussion forum. Where common sense goes to die.

Wrong. Terrible Wrong.
    LGPL does not force you to release the Source Code of your product as long as you don't alter it.

AOMover | AwesOme Script

Wrong. Terrible Wrong.
    LGPL does not force you to release the Source Code of your product as long as you don't alter it.
    Not entirely, it quite depends on how you link it.
    LGPL is mainly different from GPL in the scope it covers.
    GPL covers an entire project, LGPL covers a binary.

Dynamic linking is how you hold LGPL at bay and prevent the license from spreading to your code.

Some projects have a 'static linking exception' clause added to their LGPL license though, to allow static linking.
    In which case your statement would be right, only modifications would have to be released.
    Formerly Vhab.
    Once upon a time ruled a server. And then sold out. Sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by Vhab View Post
    Not entirely, it quite depends on how you link it.
    LGPL is mainly different from GPL in the scope it covers.
    GPL covers an entire project, LGPL covers a binary.

Dynamic linking is how you hold LGPL at bay and prevent the license from spreading to your code.
    Ahh, the old story. Static Linkage and LGPL^^.
    This is an ongoing issue. If you where strict about it, a library using LGPL would not be allowed to use templates since the code for them is generated at compiletime. No way to link a template dynamic. QT has an excpetion for that included to the LGPL. But there are a lot of discussions around this issue and so far, non has come out with a clear "no static linkage allowed" so far.
    Well okay, maybe it is some sort of minefield, but that lies in the nature of LGPL itself.
    Well, how should a lawyer know about templates .
    regards

AOMover | AwesOme Script

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast