Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New mobile phone

New mobile phone

So yea, as my other mobile got run over by a car, i need to buy a new one.

I am looking for an quality android mobile with good reputation, quality and has good tech support in Sweden ( such as programs and apps ), the phone should also preferable contain a flash to the camera and have atleast 5mpx camera, the battery shouldn't run out too fast either.

So please everyone give me your suggestions on what kind of mobile phone i should be getting?

PS. I have considered either Samsung Galaxy S or HTC Desire/Desire HD, any other suggestions or feedback would be appreciated!

Thanks / Oliver!
    Thapetowner
    Hardcore
    Ilovetokill
    Critterz
    Awaaa

Was gonna suggest the Desire, cant really go wrong with that.
    My personal favourite android phone, though not the best is the Motorola Milestone. Im not sure why, but Im so in love with that phone and plan on getting it soon even though its like over a year old now..
    This guy does some pretty great phone reviews, might be worth checking them out. Hes a euro too so theyll probably all apply to you.
    Sorry I couldnt be of more help, Im so out of touch with technology these days
    Colawren - Gimpest stripped adventurer on RK1.
    Reroll Enthusiast.
    The alts: Colawrenn, Iriotz, Empea

Proud member of Forsaken and Unity of the Rose.

I'm hearing good things about LG Optimus One
    bai2u!
    -::l2pvp!1::-
    Electronite: FFA also destroyed Clan hegemony when it comes to tower wars. Ironically the downfall was started by the most active pvpers. Another ironic thing is that the downfall happened due to pvm conflict. Silirrion: (We have pretty good anti-troll filters by now though) Means: Thong-wearing troxes will always be a part of this game and a point of AO pride. Keldros: Obviously reall trolls don't use conditioner Marlark: If this forum was Swedish in it's language .. id pawn you any day. 220 NT: tl7 is a joke most of the time. 90% of the people are double double dead. some are worth debuffing tho. Mastablasta: you guys are right and I'm wrong. Ebag: No. You alpha me'd due to the stat bug. More Ebag: I don't have any twinks currently, nor do I participate much in mass TL7 PvP (though I do go occasionally, usually just to watch). Questra: an MP in sneak eNSDed me and did about 20k damage in 10-12 seconds

Samsung Galaxy S feels like something you buy in a toy store. Weighs like.. 40 grams or something with battery... Got the cheapest feeling from it when I tried one like a month ago at my friends house.
    Kintaii: Genele is more hardcore than you, your guildmates, and anyone else you've ever played with...

My pvp stats: Duel wins: 945 / losses: 368 - Solo kills: 5632 / team: 7511

My org mate: Solo kills: 24 933 / Team: 683

Quote Originally Posted by Strupstad View Post
    Samsung Galaxy S feels like something you buy in a toy store. Weighs like.. 40 grams or something with battery... Got the cheapest feeling from it when I tried one like a month ago at my friends house.
    Although I do agree at first it feels kind of plasticy and slippery, but after comparing the build quality its on par with my old E71.I've also accidentally dropped it a few times on a marble floor and kept it in pockets full of coins and keys no cracks/scratches yet.So don't be mistaken its quite durable it even survived 7 weeks in West-Coast Africa ;p
    Somebody lied.

Recently got an HTC Wildfire & can't complain about it whatsoever. Neat little phone.
    One profession to RoO them all, one profession to proc stun them, one profession to calm them all and in the darkness Exp perk them!

Crataiken 220/30/70 General - Primal Evolution - 3rd AI 30 'Crat on RK 1 Setup
    Calms 220/30/70 General - Primal Evolution
    Medicaiken 220/30/70 General - Primal Evolution Setup
    Newen 220/30/70 President - The Galactic Milieu
    Mettagirl 220/20/** General - Primal Evolution
    Krataiken 150/18/40 General - Primal Evolution Setup

Very happy with my Desire, the camera is kinda crappy, but I heard they are improving that on the HD. I need to charge about once a day if I use the phone a lot, esp. being logged on to MSN and such while moving around can drain the battery. But yeah, I use it all the time and am not really surprised that I need to charge it that often. The performance and feel is really really good.
    Arcticangel 220 adv
    Arctica 220 soldier
    Labbetuss 220 engi
    Glacier 220 crat
    Mullophys 213 MP
    ---------------------------------
    General of Ragnarok

I recently upgraded to a LG Optimus 540 (or GT 540), entry level smartphone which I am quite surprised with the performance of. But it doesn't really live up to your demands. I didn't want to spend a lot of money on a phone, as this one was about 30% of the price of a HTC Desire and similar level phones. Camera is quite poor in the 540 though, and it's a resistive screen, not capacitive so no multi-touch. But for a first-time smartphone user I think this is a good device.
    Android 2.1 is also quite impressive in its versatility and performance. I figure that the next generation of android devices will be better, though, when Android 3 is released and the upgrade-procedure will become more global as opposed to now where it's up to each manufacturer to update the firmware.
    Thor Mastablasta Hammersmith - Level 220, AI 30, LE 70 Clan Atrox Nano Technician - Setup
    The Red Brotherhood

I'm a Nano-Technician, don't ever expect me to fight unbuffed, alone or fair.

Means: about f'ing time :P
    Satenia: heresy <3
    Znore: Mastablasta <3
    Kinkstaah: I have agro from many mobs ;(
    Madarab: we are aoe class, we are supose to use pistols
    Marxgorm: the NT toolset does not fit into my raiding tactics

Pah who wants android if he can have Bada... Samsung 8500 Wave ftw.

Ok i know this is not really what the OP wanted, but it is a very nice phone with pretty good picture/video capabilitys...

Quote Originally Posted by Coookiez View Post
    Although I do agree at first it feels kind of plasticy and slippery, but after comparing the build quality its on par with my old E71.I've also accidentally dropped it a few times on a marble floor and kept it in pockets full of coins and keys no cracks/scratches yet.So don't be mistaken its quite durable it even survived 7 weeks in West-Coast Africa ;p
    My experience too from my Galaxy S. Seemingly cheap but the light weight is in the end just a plus since you don't feel like you're lugging around dead weight in your pocket.

Combined with two spare batteries and a screen protector this little baby is a powerhouse although the 2.2 android seems a tad bit glitchy yet.

I would compare specs head to head for the Galaxy S and the Desire HD then make an educated desicion as to what you should buy. Before the HD was available I went based on the slight speed advantage of the S plus the fact that it had Bluetooth 3.0.

It all depends on how much time you spend on the XDA forums but I wouldn't consider any other phones than the HD and the S as everything else is below par.
    Semper Fi! Nuts since 2004.

I happen to have the T-Mobile G1, HTC Dream.

Damned awesome fone

HTC all the way though.
    Last edited by TheOtherFlyer; Nov 21st, 2010 at 18:14:52.
    Proud Unit Leader of Asgard

I went from an old phone without even WAP to HTC Magic, and honestly, wow that was a leap. The magic is a bit old now, so I'd recommend one of the newer models at the moment, but I am quite happy with it.
    Guardian Ophyr
    Operations Department
    Public Forums Moderator

Advisors of Rubi-Ka
    Anarchy Online Social Guidelines

Thank you all for your kind advices, ill have a further look at them, looks like both are pretty equal in the price range.
    Valhall Guardians

Thapetowner 220 Meta-Physicist
    Hyimoliver 220 Soldier
    Ihatemyself 200 Shade
    Hardcore 200 Adventurer
    Ilovetokill 170 Agent
    Ilovetodrain 150 Trader
    Oxiahe 150 Doctor
    Critterz 150 Martial-Artist
    Awaaa 74 Soldier

Quote Originally Posted by Aiken View Post
    Recently got an HTC Wildfire & can't complain about it whatsoever. Neat little phone.
    Bump for this, my first time at having a smart-phone and I love it
    Deadfroobs - 18 agent- Work in progress
    Reidsangry - 30 enf - Work in progress
    Reidsmp - 76 mp
    Reidsagent - 95 agent/enf
    Reidsdrainz - 114 agent
    Reidscrat - 161 crat
    Reids - 218 crat
    Reidventurer - 220 advy
    Reidsma - 220 MA

I'd avoid any Samsung Android phones, personally. They have a history of not bothering to support their devices longer than a few months.

I'm personally using an HTC Supersonic (aka the Evo 4G), and I'm pretty happy with it. I'd go with the Desire HD given the chance, which is basically a souped-up GSM Evo from what I can find.
    Tonitrum - 215/21 Fixer

Two coconut shells and a piece of string ftw.
    ZeePhonz :: 220/30/70 Adventurer
    ZeeMedic :: 220/30/70 Doctor
    ZeeDaKeep :: 220/30/70 Keeper
    Cratscan :: 220/30/70 Bureaucrat
    ZeeStabbie :: 220/30/65 Shade
    ZeeInstein :: 220/21/60 Engineer

President of A.R.S. (Athens Recovery Service)

Whenever I fill out an application, in the part that says "If an emergency, notify:" I put "DOCTOR".

Quote Originally Posted by Strupstad View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Coookiez View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by LLJKTonitrum View Post
    I'd avoid any Samsung Android phones, personally. They have a history of not bothering to support their devices longer than a few months.

I'm personally using an HTC Supersonic (aka the Evo 4G), and I'm pretty happy with it. I'd go with the Desire HD given the chance, which is basically a souped-up GSM Evo from what I can find.
    I -highly- recommend the Samsung Galaxy S. I reviewed it here for anyone interested. I develop for Android and work on the AOSP builds for various phones, including the HTC Hero, now the Galaxy line as well as the Nexus One.

It matters little if Samsung drop active development because they have made all the relevant source code available, which makes keeping AOSP up to date on the phone an absolute doddle. That said, I am currently running a rooted version of their official Froyo build, since it works incredibly well and their tweaks to the built in apps (Contacts, Dialer etc) are very good.

How it feels isn't a testament to the build quality. It's light, end of story. This adds to the comfort when using it for long periods, such as watching video on the move (plays all my 720p stuff flawlessly) or gaming (plays Quake 3 and any of the games on the Market no problem at all). Not only that the screen is the finest looking screen on any Android device on the market right now, SAMOLED makes SLCD look cheap and washed out.

It's worth noting that in drop tests, the SGS outlasted the incredibly expensive looking/feeling iphone 4 in all tests, the iphone 4 more likely to smash to little pieces on impact, with the casing of the SGS merely more like to scratch in the event of a non critical impact. I'll take scratches over an obliterated phone any day of the week, thank you very much.
    Member of Spartans
    Hacre/Solitus/Keeper/220/29/70 - Ninpopotamus/Solitus/NT/220/30/70 - Charmming/Opifex/Crat/220/30/70
    Quote Originally Posted by randomalpha View Post
    in the end soldier is not Op or even near from that never was never will be just for the record only keepers are the ones before soldiers on the nerfest list
    Genius at work.

How's the battery life on Galaxy S?
    bai2u!
    -::l2pvp!1::-
    Electronite: FFA also destroyed Clan hegemony when it comes to tower wars. Ironically the downfall was started by the most active pvpers. Another ironic thing is that the downfall happened due to pvm conflict. Silirrion: (We have pretty good anti-troll filters by now though) Means: Thong-wearing troxes will always be a part of this game and a point of AO pride. Keldros: Obviously reall trolls don't use conditioner Marlark: If this forum was Swedish in it's language .. id pawn you any day. 220 NT: tl7 is a joke most of the time. 90% of the people are double double dead. some are worth debuffing tho. Mastablasta: you guys are right and I'm wrong. Ebag: No. You alpha me'd due to the stat bug. More Ebag: I don't have any twinks currently, nor do I participate much in mass TL7 PvP (though I do go occasionally, usually just to watch). Questra: an MP in sneak eNSDed me and did about 20k damage in 10-12 seconds

I bought a HTC Desire a few months ago and I'm quite happy of it. Great screen, sound is ok, seems robust but it's a bit hard to access the battery. Hard buttons on the bottom are useful, I use them as often as I can. They make everything faster and keep the screen cleaner.

Like any other phone, the camera suck. It looks okish on the phone or if you resize them though, but then the 5mpx or w/e you are asking for is useless. It has a flash but it can't use it properly. It's often too bright when you are too close but it might be me or the pre installed app which suck.

Same about the battery, lasts around 1 day or 2. I have wifi enabled most of the time + push when I have no wifi networks. I use it mainly for mails, contacts, calendar, sms and phone. I rarely use the GPS or the browser. I disabled all the fancy looking widgets they give you with it.

For everything else, it's Android with its up and downsides. If you don't want to root your phone, you have to consider HTC Sense and its pre installed apps which aren't always great to use. But again, so it is on the other phones.
    blah

Quote Originally Posted by Hacre View Post
    I develop for Android and work on the AOSP builds for various phones, including the HTC Hero, now the Galaxy line as well as the Nexus One.
    I've just started to learn about programming for Android (for a game i've had a nice idea for).

If I get stuck I know who to bug
    Deadfroobs - 18 agent- Work in progress
    Reidsangry - 30 enf - Work in progress
    Reidsmp - 76 mp
    Reidsagent - 95 agent/enf
    Reidsdrainz - 114 agent
    Reidscrat - 161 crat
    Reids - 218 crat
    Reidventurer - 220 advy
    Reidsma - 220 MA

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast