Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: It's a sad day for me :/

Have none of you people ever heard of dual boot?

If you're 'smart' enough to use a Linux based O/S you are 'smart' enough to open a second partition of your HDD for a clean copy of XP and AO.
    Pricecuts - 220 Trader
    Feel free to contact me via PM or in-game.

Raggy - 220 Bureaucrat || Raggeh - 220 Fixer | Back as 'Raggys' - Shade for the time being. | Nuclei - 217 Nanotechnician || Nanobiology - 214 Doctor

Tip #743: As noted in Tip #244, tea bags have an infinite variety of uses. However, there's always one jerk who will want to give you crap over drinking tea. Particularly if in a new town, use this as an opportunity to assert yourself. Any drunken idiot can win a bar fight. It takes a real man to win a bar fight while enjoying a cup of Earl Grey.

You could always wrap the offending process in a true virtual machine app. Since VMware supports DX8 and DX9 you could use that as an alternative.
    Well they messed with the wrong skull this time, Ha ha!!!
    ~ Murray the talking skull

Slacklin ~ 220 Fixer

I've been testing for work arounds for mac on my brother's computer, I'll keep you guys updated with this; I've got a few ideas.
    Dagger 220/30/70 Shade // Attempted 219/24/?? Enforcer // Canidae 180/0/0 Adventurer // World 185/26/32 Meta-Physicist// Cramp 150/20/35 Engineer
    Ya wanna fix something - give RK mobs better xp, make RK matter again.

Quote Originally Posted by Mamman View Post
    Give shades love or we will stop buffing people!!

i didnt wanted to start a flame war. my point was that windows is target no. 1 for pc games development just by the fact that windows has the biggest numbers of installations and not because it is better (my personal experience) or hassle free (the thing about dvd's).
    also i didnt wanted to say that xmb is the gamer os or something. it was about the claim that "most games are targeted for windows platform". probably not true if one counts comparable recent games for these platforms. but, that proves my point: even if xmb is way less complicated there are still games for windows. because you pay for them. its not about how great or not a platform is, it about how much money is in it. so if we would all switch to *nix, funcom would too </dream>
    and its not just the multi boot (i do have one, mostly for ao, wine on my laptop). i payed about 150€ for my copy of windows (and i got a vista license with laptop - well, not going to use that). i can very well understand that people dont want to spend that or feed microsoft at all - only for an at best redundant os. besides that it needs a separate hdd, because windows is not compatible to gparted (raids) ;p
    and the dell-sheeple-argument - its highly ironic that these people want to tell others what to do. or try to tell me what is niche. the biggest european intranet is powered by solaris mostly - or was, back when i could log in to most of computers in that net via shiny new sun rays.

I have dual-boot as well as a VM. AO worked perfectly in Wine, whereas its very slow and clunky in VM and rebooting just to get my AO fix is a pain. What I had was as good as running in native Windows. I think that's why its particularly frustrating.

I think I'm going to start referring to myself as a "Winer". =P
    Froobalicious General of Barador Arin.

-- Playing AO for six years, still a nuub gimp, and proud of it!

FC prolly made more on day 1 of the store launching than all the Linux/MacOS babies annual subs so...
    bai2u!
    -::l2pvp!1::-
    Electronite: FFA also destroyed Clan hegemony when it comes to tower wars. Ironically the downfall was started by the most active pvpers. Another ironic thing is that the downfall happened due to pvm conflict. Silirrion: (We have pretty good anti-troll filters by now though) Means: Thong-wearing troxes will always be a part of this game and a point of AO pride. Keldros: Obviously reall trolls don't use conditioner Marlark: If this forum was Swedish in it's language .. id pawn you any day. 220 NT: tl7 is a joke most of the time. 90% of the people are double double dead. some are worth debuffing tho. Mastablasta: you guys are right and I'm wrong. Ebag: No. You alpha me'd due to the stat bug. More Ebag: I don't have any twinks currently, nor do I participate much in mass TL7 PvP (though I do go occasionally, usually just to watch). Questra: an MP in sneak eNSDed me and did about 20k damage in 10-12 seconds

Just run dual-boot.... use what ya need as ya need it.
    ZeePhonz :: 220/30/70 Adventurer
    ZeeMedic :: 220/30/70 Doctor
    ZeeDaKeep :: 220/30/70 Keeper
    Cratscan :: 220/30/70 Bureaucrat
    ZeeStabbie :: 220/30/65 Shade
    ZeeInstein :: 220/21/60 Engineer

President of A.R.S. (Athens Recovery Service)

Whenever I fill out an application, in the part that says "If an emergency, notify:" I put "DOCTOR".

Or get a second PC, PCs are dirt cheap.
    Thor Mastablasta Hammersmith - Level 220, AI 30, LE 70 Clan Atrox Nano Technician - Setup
    The Red Brotherhood

I'm a Nano-Technician, don't ever expect me to fight unbuffed, alone or fair.

Means: about f'ing time :P
    Satenia: heresy <3
    Znore: Mastablasta <3
    Kinkstaah: I have agro from many mobs ;(
    Madarab: we are aoe class, we are supose to use pistols
    Marxgorm: the NT toolset does not fit into my raiding tactics

It would be a shame to lose the linux players. Linux players: geek up and work out a fix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorathon View Post
    Wouldn't it be better if all the attributes were combined into one skill called "goodness?"

Oki, enough with the win/osx/*nix discussion ... to me it's all about choice i choose to run *nix on my PC, i choose to play AO on my comp for a long time but since it now turned into to much of a hassle (dualbot, extra comp ?, virtual whatever ...) i choose to find some other game to spend my time on (when and if one can again play AO on *nix i might consider coming back but that is an other question).

For my part i started out in EVE on a 14 day trial and so far so good (yeah it runs under *nix no hassle just use wine). And if some one is going to start up a corp (=org) for us former AO players, do drop me a line ! Would be nice to not be alone and noob :=)

(My IN-game nick for EVE online is Plexuc)
    Workboy and my equip

Aggroboy
    and my equip

Quote Originally Posted by Pomidor View Post
    History of great experiences during Anarchy Online timeplay:

2001 - I just saw a player!
    2002 - I was in huge battle!
    2003 - I have Made first twink!
    2004 - I have made first quest in Shadowlands
    2005 - I dinged 220
    2006 - Was that an Alien? Holy Mothership...
    2007 - I own my first ql 300 CSS!
    2008 - We did Beast with just 3 guys!
    2009 - Damn, that Xan weapons LoX... erm Rox!
    2010 - Finnaly first character fully geared with all best stuff.
    2011 - Battlestations are so much zerg wars
    2012 - I have made set of twinks for new level ranges, they rocks!
    2013 - I made few 220 characters to level other characters...
    2014 - I saw a player!

Bottom line is: You're playing a game which was made for Windows. Doesn't matter what OS you prefer, since this one was definitely made for Windows. If you're able to play it on other OS'es, great! Good for you. But don't complain to FC for breaking the poor windows support in your favorite OS, especially not when it happens as a result of implementing new things to bring the game up to speed with the current decade.
    Last edited by Demoder; Nov 19th, 2010 at 14:01:13.
    ::: My Tools & Stuff :::
    ::: Cratine Savagedheals Enfine Zoewrangle Demoder :: Solitron Demotionform :: IRC Demoder Savagedlight :::
    ::: AOItems :: Blog :: CIDB :: HelpBot :: ItemsBot :: PlanetMap Viewer :: Tower Wars :: Twitter :::

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12