Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: It's a sad day for me :/

It's a sad day for me :/

Okej with the recent patch and the introduction of a ingame store i don't really care much for FC decided that i shouldn't play AO (ie i run linux so kind of screwed with the last patch) .. so what else is there out there to do ?

Start playing WoW, or EVE (EVE also supposed to have a native linux client and thats a plus for me since it makes things less complicated) ?

What i am looking for i guess is some similar games as AO (lots of twinking, lots of content) i ain't so strict about it but id prefer if it were sci-fi and not fantasy.

Any one got any idea's ?
    Workboy and my equip

Aggroboy
    and my equip

Quote Originally Posted by Pomidor View Post
    History of great experiences during Anarchy Online timeplay:

2001 - I just saw a player!
    2002 - I was in huge battle!
    2003 - I have Made first twink!
    2004 - I have made first quest in Shadowlands
    2005 - I dinged 220
    2006 - Was that an Alien? Holy Mothership...
    2007 - I own my first ql 300 CSS!
    2008 - We did Beast with just 3 guys!
    2009 - Damn, that Xan weapons LoX... erm Rox!
    2010 - Finnaly first character fully geared with all best stuff.
    2011 - Battlestations are so much zerg wars
    2012 - I have made set of twinks for new level ranges, they rocks!
    2013 - I made few 220 characters to level other characters...
    2014 - I saw a player!

You're misplacing the blame. You should rather poke those writing these emulators into making something which works.
    ::: My Tools & Stuff :::
    ::: Cratine Savagedheals Enfine Zoewrangle Demoder :: Solitron Demotionform :: IRC Demoder Savagedlight :::
    ::: AOItems :: Blog :: CIDB :: HelpBot :: ItemsBot :: PlanetMap Viewer :: Tower Wars :: Twitter :::

Quote Originally Posted by haide View Post
    Any one got any idea's ?
    Yes, run windows games on windows, rather than some bodged emulation/fudging effort.
    Omutb - President - Ring of Destruction

If you only knew the power of the Frosted Strawberry Poptart....

"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more; Or close the wall up with our English dead." - because Wales just isnt a country

Chernobyl, providing the freshest bottled water since 1986, for that healthy green glow.

Idon't know anyone tried Regnum online, it is fantasy and F2P but seams rather large and has a native client for linux ?

Not so much into the whole blame & which is better discussion, But I was under the expression that Awesomium (ie Chrome ?) was crossplatform from the beginning so cant be that bad ? And i really can't see the point of rushing the store in and springing it on everybody like this (or maybe It was just me missing it?) so there is no fore warning or chance for some one smarter than me (dev team?) to figure it out before patch time ?

Also WINE isn't a emulator, but that's kind of besides the point.

And i guess with the games that run under Windows you have 3 choices, run windows , run it under "bodged emulation/fudging", or find an other game ... so i am looking for tips of games that is similar to AO and NOT a alternatives for my choice of OS.
    Last edited by haide; Nov 18th, 2010 at 18:14:26.
    Workboy and my equip

Aggroboy
    and my equip

2005 - I dinged 220
    2014 - I saw a player!

As much as I hate to say it, it appears as if hell has frozen over. I was up until 5am this morning installing windows on an old 10g hard drive. I love Linux and with Ubuntu, it's quickly growing in popularity, but let's face it.. Bill Gates has the world by the balls. Until more than 1% of the worlds' population realize that free, open-source software is better, we the minority are out of luck.

Suck it up and run windows for now until Awesomium supports Linux.

Well, EVE is definitely NOT similar to AO in any regard.

There's a decent choice of equipment, skills and advancement paths, but the char development is fundamenatlly different, and there's no twinking.
    The PvE content is extremely repetitive and gets boring in about 6-8 months at best, and PvP boils down either to solo griefing and gangraping weaker players, or trying to do large fleet battles in so severe lag that just makes the whole thing utterly unenjoyable even if you are into popping enemy ships one by one as part of a "focus-fire" blob of ships directed by an assigned caller.

That's EVE in a nutshell...

"All things point to that they didn't play to win, but for the game itself and to play well. ... Later in their evolution, they forgot all about playing and having fun. When their corrupted minds only cared for what new ways they could gain power, there was no room for the simple things in life."
    - One Who Will Always Listen
    "Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment."
    - Librarian Isador Aikos, W40k: Dawn of War
    "If you want to make enemies... try to change something."
    - Adam Jensen, Deus Ex: Human Revolution

Funcom employee

AO is totally unsupported on Linux. I'm certain someone will figure this one out...but it won't be us unfortunately..
    Colin Cragg
    This "Means" Cake
    Past Game Director (2008-2011)

Quote Originally Posted by Demoder View Post
    You're misplacing the blame. You should rather poke those writing these emulators into making something which works.
    Quote Originally Posted by Omutb View Post
    Yes, run windows games on windows, rather than some bodged emulation/fudging effort.

I find these two posts kinda funny considering the underlying code for the item store came from Konqueror, a Linux browser.

Awesomium is supposed to be cross platform as well... and AO has been running under Linux for years from what I have seen.

Blackmesa
    220/30/68 Clan Agent

ja

Quote Originally Posted by Means View Post
    AO is totally unsupported on Linux. I'm certain someone will figure this one out...but it won't be us unfortunately..
    Any chance of being able to disable the in-game browser (AwesomiumProcess.exe) via command line when launching Anarchy?
    Last edited by Skafac; Nov 18th, 2010 at 19:37:42.

Guess that proves it AO is the ultimate MMO since no one can recommend any suitable substitute

Well since EVE does have a 14 day trial, native linux client, large population and modern graphics (nice change from AO i guess) i start by giving that a try.

@Means, stop trolling and go make a native client ! Or at least say it be consider when the new gfx engine gets here, please ?
    Workboy and my equip

Aggroboy
    and my equip

2005 - I dinged 220
    2014 - I saw a player!

Quote Originally Posted by Means View Post
    We are all well aware that its unsupported. And in this special case i do believe there wont be a way to get it to work. It seems that the way, anarchy and awsomium are communicating with each other is not supported in WINE (which is base for everything - be it Crossover, wine itself or other ports). I fear you locked out a certain amount of dedicated players from the game. This is not an appeal to DO something. I'm just contravening your statment about the issue gonna be figured out. I think i am forced to return to VMWare, which is really bad (performance-wise & heart-wise). My subscription ends in april next year, and i surely will cancel it the next few days if there doesn't come a solution around the corner.

Honestly, i do think the in game shop is a bad thing, from a players point of view. Thats just my 2ct but adding the mumbling i hear around the several forums related to this game, i must say, expect a few emoragequitters including the non-win-os'ers.

There has been made suggestions to deactivate the in game shop from the command-line, and i really do think that may be an option for you. Consider it.

in deepest dolour
    /Z
    Level 200 Nanomage Nano-Technician on Rimor speaking... - Unit Commander of Knights of Ka
    Toons:(*=froobs)
    Zzzzzzwap* (inofficial main),
    Krisplin* (main, but buff whore),
    Theophrastus* (piercing doc - aka froob shade)
    Kosminski (Shade - Yes, i went paid...)
    Codeleet (s10 & pvp)
    ~ Founder of TL5+ - Rimor TL5+ froob raid force ~ || ~ My Tweet... ~

if I had a choice between paying/playing AO and using linux,
    sorry Funcom, I'll go find another game to play and waste my money on. :s

I know linux is unsupported, but until a fix is found (if one is possible at all) quite a few hundred of your players will remain offline and canceled.

btw, WINE is NOT an emulator, it's a program loader that links WinAPI calls to native linux API calls.
    due to this fact, a custom build of WINE will have to be created with a port of Awesomiounm intergrated into it
    and that is ALOT of work to do.

game shop is a good idea, but your browser implementation is horrible, at best.
    Last edited by Xyphos; Nov 18th, 2010 at 21:37:07.
    "When life knocks you on your butt, you have to get back up and punch it in the face." --DJ Ashval of GSP

Nullified "Bitbucket" Deadcode - 220/25 Neut NanoMage Engi
    Bits10 - 150/14 Clan Opifex Trader

I had to play AO on my desktop for the first time in months yesterday. So many patches.

More to the point, I'm probably going to let my account freeze until someone finds a workaround or some kind of support for this. I use my laptop a lot more than I use my desktop, so I'm not going to keep spending money on a game I would be playing once a week.
    Where was it when I first heard that sweet sound of humility?
    It came to my ears in the god damn loveliest melody
    How grateful I was then to be part of the mystery
    To love and to be loved
    Let's just hope that is enough

Linux isn't a desktop OS for the gamer you knew this when you started using it and you lived in a world of work arounds and fiddlings to get even the barebone basics to work. You should just deal with it and go corporate.
    Thor Mastablasta Hammersmith - Level 220, AI 30, LE 70 Clan Atrox Nano Technician - Setup
    The Red Brotherhood

I'm a Nano-Technician, don't ever expect me to fight unbuffed, alone or fair.

Means: about f'ing time :P
    Satenia: heresy <3
    Znore: Mastablasta <3
    Kinkstaah: I have agro from many mobs ;(
    Madarab: we are aoe class, we are supose to use pistols
    Marxgorm: the NT toolset does not fit into my raiding tactics

Well that's the thing, I wouldn't really consider myself much of a gamer. In recent years the bulk of my game playing is either console or AO. The few computer games I have can run on my MacBook, so my desktop is mostly used for music and movies. It will just be one less thing to worry about for however long I'm unable to play.
    Where was it when I first heard that sweet sound of humility?
    It came to my ears in the god damn loveliest melody
    How grateful I was then to be part of the mystery
    To love and to be loved
    Let's just hope that is enough

Quote Originally Posted by Mastablasta View Post
    Linux isn't a desktop OS for the gamer you knew this when you started using it and you lived in a world of work arounds and fiddlings to get even the barebone basics to work. You should just deal with it and go corporate.
    Pretty much my view on it.

It's common knowledge that most of the games are designed specifically for a Windows OS.
    Shhh... I'm in disguise.

Quote Originally Posted by Tazalanche View Post
    People that continuously insult the player base TRYING to level, while asking why the population is so low, need to get a clue.

Quote Originally Posted by Mastablasta View Post
    Linux isn't a desktop OS for the gamer
    ftfy!
    220 Shade | 220 NT | 220 Crat | 220 Fixer | 220 Agent | 165 Adv

the claim that linux is an operating system is plain wrong. linux is just the kernel and only a part of an operating system. without /sbin/init one wouldnt be able to do anything useful with a computer - and that executable isnt part of the kernel. most often init is part of the gnu userland. so gnu/linux is the most common linux-based operating system.
    working with *nix like operation system is often way easier than working with windows. the installation of a current linux distribution is a breeze. with linux based operating system one can easily provide bootable dvd's that enable you to browse the web in a top graphical environment - without a installation at all! on the other hand one cannot even replace a motherboard without a reinstallation under windows - unless one is a poweruser. in fact, one cant even switch to a new hdd without hassle.
    there are a few games that run under windows and *nix. i tried a few of them and they always performed worse under windows.
    so, what makes an operating system the os of choice for a gamer? its the games and only the games. and what makes a company code for a specific os? its the gamers and only the gamers. if he moved to *nix and thought things will change he was just wrong in one point: the majority of gamers is even more stubborn than he was aware of.
    the claim that the family of windows os's has the most games is probably wrong and not common knowledge. i bet you never heard of stuff like xmb and xna etc - dedicated operations systems for games. they just dont run on your iron and so you are not aware of them.

Ok, a few things... First of all, can we just stop with the OS pissing contest? This whole "my OS is bigger than your OS"... erm... "... is better for gamers than ..." is just plain stupid. Some of us make OS choices for various reasons (Windows, MacOS, Linux). One might argue that the OS for a "real gamer" is whatever runs on XBox, Wii or PS3. Point remains that some of us had been happily playing AO for quite some time now on our unsupported OSes and now will be suffering from some withdrawal -- so pardon our crankiness. Please, rub less salt in our wounds. Thank you.

Similarly, those grumpy unsupported players currently suffering from the AO shakes (and I apologize for my grumpiness too) probably should not go all torches and pitchforks on Awesomium or FC, because a full featured embedded web browser is virtually non-existent. If IE, .NET, Mozilla, etc... were so easy to embed to do, it would have been done. The the Mono project would have solved that project already and Vhab's chat client would work on Linux too, but that's some other reality we've had to live with.

I, for one, aren't even a gamer of any sort. Not even a casual one, but I stumbled upon AO and met a bunch of great people found a game that didn't require someone to have reflexes of a military fighter pilot to excel at. For now, at least the 3rd party chat clients still work (WAIT! WAIT! They still work right??? Oh, whew..) so at least I can still chat with friends, and log my alts (using VM) to give wrangles and mocham's to org mates.
    Last edited by Lliers; Nov 19th, 2010 at 06:03:58.
    Froobalicious General of Barador Arin.

-- Playing AO for six years, still a nuub gimp, and proud of it!

Quote Originally Posted by Eiffel View Post
    the claim that the family of windows os's has the most games is probably wrong and not common knowledge. i bet you never heard of stuff like xmb and xna etc - dedicated operations systems for games. they just dont run on your iron and so you are not aware of them.
    Right and that's why a bunch of games (on box, website etc) list Windows as a system requirement and not XMB or XNA.

Linux, and it's variations, are a niche thing. Your average user buys a computer from Dell or wherever and gets it with Windows and just leaves it at that. Only the OpenSource/Programmer type crowd really goes for Linux. Someone who just wants to browse the net or play a game isn't going to want to got through the hassle of finding compatible games, or do the work to make things compatible. They'll buy Windows, and be done with it.

People are lazy, they'll want to do the least amount of work possible. Windows allows them to just install a game and play, rather then worry about which version they have or what emulator they're running.

Hence my assessment that Windows is the majority gaming platform.
    Shhh... I'm in disguise.

Quote Originally Posted by Tazalanche View Post
    People that continuously insult the player base TRYING to level, while asking why the population is so low, need to get a clue.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast