Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Linux - Awesomium

If anyone has any luck with crossover or wine directly please elaborate on solutions here.
    Thanks!
    Matmoz - General of BANDA
    Quote Originally Posted by Rak View Post
    "WTB your definition of real pvpers"
    Quote Originally Posted by Shareida View Post
    "tab,1234567890;Shift+2,1234567890!!!"

No luck yet. Bugs have been reported to CodeWeavers, WineHQ, and I'm sure FC is now well aware of it. Please stand by... or fire up Parallels or VMWare Fusion or BootCamp =/

I ended up trying all the things DocJones already tried. I really should read forums before fumbling about. =P
    Froobalicious General of Barador Arin.

-- Playing AO for six years, still a nuub gimp, and proud of it!

Quote Originally Posted by bratch View Post
    As said in the Wine bug report, applying a patch [1] to Wine's iphlpapi.dll seems to get slightly further. With the patch, it hangs after drawing the AO window, rather than crashing.

[1] http://bugs2.winehq.org/attachment.cgi?id=30775
    Please note that there are *two* patches: one referring to a different bug number and one directly attached. I dont have access to my machine right now, will apply the later this evening.
    Level 200 Nanomage Nano-Technician on Rimor speaking... - Unit Commander of Knights of Ka
    Toons:(*=froobs)
    Zzzzzzwap* (inofficial main),
    Krisplin* (main, but buff whore),
    Theophrastus* (piercing doc - aka froob shade)
    Kosminski (Shade - Yes, i went paid...)
    Codeleet (s10 & pvp)
    ~ Founder of TL5+ - Rimor TL5+ froob raid force ~ || ~ My Tweet... ~

Guys, someone mentioned here, that renaming/removing the file "Awesomium.dll" may do the trick, please go and check anyone.

Keep in mind that it need to be in place before the next patch.
    Level 200 Nanomage Nano-Technician on Rimor speaking... - Unit Commander of Knights of Ka
    Codeleet (s10 & pvp)

Quote Originally Posted by DocJones View Post
    Guys, someone mentioned here, that renaming/removing the file "Awesomium.dll" may do the trick, please go and check anyone.

Keep in mind that it need to be in place before the next patch.
    Removing the file fails the validation check at startup. If you remove it after startup (i.e. on the logon screen) then it attempts to start, but GUI.dll fails as it requires it.
    Please note that there are *two* patches: one referring to a different bug number and one directly attached. I dont have access to my machine right now, will apply the later this evening.
    I've tested the other one too, no luck. Results posted in the bug report.

Quote Originally Posted by matmos View Post
    If anyone has any luck with crossover or wine directly please elaborate on solutions here.
    Thanks!
    ofcause, but for now ...
    You have already reached the maximum number of allowed accounts
    You are not allowed to create any new accounts

Awsomeionum won't work due to how WINE works, now *nix users are SCREWED.

WINE is a derived acronym for "Wine Is Not an Emulator" meaning, it does not emulate windows, but rather it is a program loader used to run windows applications by loading and dynamically linking the program's win api calls to native linux api calls.

AwsomeiumProcess.exe is a seprate process thread that has to run as a seprate process and due to this fact, cannot be used with WINE as AO needs both Client.exe and AwsomeionumProcess.exe to run and communicate with each other.

in theroy, it would be possible to compile a custom version of WINE to allow interprocess communication, but that's a hell of alot of work.

but just maybe... has anyone tried to run AO on WINE's virtual desktop in windowed mode?
    "When life knocks you on your butt, you have to get back up and punch it in the face." --DJ Ashval of GSP

Nullified "Bitbucket" Deadcode - 220/25 Neut NanoMage Engi
    Bits10 - 150/14 Clan Opifex Trader

Playing AO on my mac, but after the new patch it wont work with Crossover.

Using a Windows XP bottle, but i guess its the new shops fault... Hope it will be fixed, or there is a solution.

From Kehaan.
    /Kehaan - lvl 220 Crat - Atrox/
    /Kehaax - lvl 150 Fixer - Atrox/
    /Kehtra - lvl 210 Trader - Atrox/
    /Kehelectric - lvl 165 NT - Atrox/
    /Kehxao - lvl 150 Doctor - Solitus!?/
    A proud advisor of Cerberus

Quote Originally Posted by Xyphos View Post
    Awsomeionum won't work due to how WINE works, now *nix users are SCREWED.

WINE is a derived acronym for "Wine Is Not an Emulator" meaning, it does not emulate windows, but rather it is a program loader used to run windows applications by loading and dynamically linking the program's win api calls to native linux api calls.

AwsomeiumProcess.exe is a seprate process thread that has to run as a seprate process and due to this fact, cannot be used with WINE as AO needs both Client.exe and AwsomeionumProcess.exe to run and communicate with each other.

in theroy, it would be possible to compile a custom version of WINE to allow interprocess communication, but that's a hell of alot of work.

but just maybe... has anyone tried to run AO on WINE's virtual desktop in windowed mode?
    Is this the same as using CrossOver's "emulate desktop"? If so... tried and failed.

Alternatively, is it possible to start up AwsomeiumProcess.exe separately? ClickSaver works in Wine, and somehow all the hooking magically works.

Have just posted a ticket at Crossover. So will report back, with answer from them

Quote Originally Posted by Lliers View Post
    Is this the same as using CrossOver's "emulate desktop"? If so... tried and failed.

Alternatively, is it possible to start up AwsomeiumProcess.exe separately? ClickSaver works in Wine, and somehow all the hooking magically works.
    Hey.

Have always used the emulate desktop, with crossover games. But i am also getting crashes now on my mac

From Kehaan

Heyas,

no luck so far. Patched wine a bit, but in vain. I consider filing a suggestion to funcom to allow in game shop being *completely* disabled by command-line switches, but i fear that would totally negate the effect (cash income). Can anyone with a WIN installation check the version of Awesomium.dll? Just to gather a bit more information...

While i understand Xyphos point of view, i totally agree with Lliers as well. If all that process injecting hook-stuff from clicksaver works, we could possibly expect that the seperate process hook will do as well... Additionally, it may be possible to reduce the additional EXE and link its functionality towards the client.exe. Seems there are lots of ways to solve those things, but apparently, we are beyond any point where we can request this from funcom...

*sad panda* Guess i am retracting my yearly subscription (just in case)...

regards
    /Z
    Codeleet (s10 & pvp)

Quote Originally Posted by kehaan View Post
    Have just posted a ticket at Crossover. So will report back, with answer from them
    Dont expect too much, mate... (ok, i am depressed)
    Codeleet (s10 & pvp)

fonk...
    I guess its Parallels then...
    Matmoz - General of BANDA
    Quote Originally Posted by Rak View Post
    "WTB your definition of real pvpers"
    Quote Originally Posted by Shareida View Post
    "tab,1234567890;Shift+2,1234567890!!!"

If all that process injecting hook-stuff from clicksaver works, we could possibly expect that the seperate process hook will do as well...
    there is a difference on how clicksaver works (sending/reciving windows messages [WinAPI]) and interprocess communication (methods vary)
    which is why clicksaver works and Awsm won't
    "When life knocks you on your butt, you have to get back up and punch it in the face." --DJ Ashval of GSP

This sucks. Installed a copy of Windows 2000 last night on an old backup 10g hard drive. Yeah, another unsupported OS (by Funcom and Microsoft) but I can't afford to purchase XP or anything newer. Was up until 5am getting all the freaking drivers loaded. Now I'm in the middle of Windows Updates.. just 95 more to go... I think.

I can't explain the sense of depression I feel now having to leave Linux for Windows. But I guess until more than 1% of the worlds' population realize that free, open-source software is a better idea than Bill Gates having you by the balls, we'll just have to deal with it. /sigh

Quote Originally Posted by Skafac View Post
    But I guess until more than 1% of the worlds' population realize that free, open-source software is a better idea than Steve Ballmer having you by the balls, we'll just have to deal with it. /sigh
    /fixed. and qft'ed. I know how you feel...
    Codeleet (s10 & pvp)

Quote Originally Posted by Xyphos View Post
    there is a difference on how clicksaver works (sending/reciving windows messages [WinAPI]) and interprocess communication (methods vary)
    which is why clicksaver works and Awsm won't
    Well, so it is. This is quite unfortunate, as I was sort of looking forward to checking out the new item store.

Anyhow, as a side note, there are some comments about the stupidity of running AO in Wine instead of in native Windows (http://forums.anarchy-online.com/sho...48&postcount=3). While it is true that Wine is a sort of an evul hack, ironically, its an evul hack that actually performs better than running AO on Windows inside a VM. AO performance in Wine is actually better than running in a commercial VM on my machine. There is of course the option to dual boot, but the whole joy of VM's and Wine is not having to reboot.

Ok, now that I've got that off my chest... I've been following the progress of various tickets/bug reports. FC has [more or less] provided us an official position here http://forums.anarchy-online.com/sho...93&postcount=7 and I was searching around the tickets at CodeWeavers, and their position is that AO isn't one of their supported apps, so they don't plan on investing any energy specifically looking into this problem. That just leaves the community of Wine developers.

Skyfac, I think you're going to be sorely disappointed, because I think Awesomium uses some function calls that are only in the XP version of kernel32.dll, but I can't seem to find the thread where this was discussed when the in-game browser first hit test.

I must register my surprise that Windows has IPC of any sort? My understanding was that Windows is so not POSIX that no such thing exists, which is why Cygwin runs a separate server process to provide fake IPC.

Ok, the saga goes on. Has anyone tried just firing up AwsomeiumProcess.exe in Wine and see what error message that barfs up (if its even possible?) maybe that would be an easier place to start tracking down a fix for Wine.

Quote Originally Posted by Lliers View Post
    start tracking down a fix for Wine.
    decompile Awsm in IDA on windows, then integrate a port of it directly into a custom wine build. that should fix the problem since Awsm will become "native" but what a hassle that would be!

If only AwesomiumProcess.exe is causing the problem, there may be a cheap hack to get around it, with loss of functionality, until a real solution is found...

Edit: nevermind, I see now that the dll is the problem.
    Last edited by Honorbound; Nov 18th, 2010 at 23:28:53.

"All things point to that they didn't play to win, but for the game itself and to play well. ... Later in their evolution, they forgot all about playing and having fun. When their corrupted minds only cared for what new ways they could gain power, there was no room for the simple things in life."
    - One Who Will Always Listen
    "Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment."
    - Librarian Isador Aikos, W40k: Dawn of War
    "If you want to make enemies... try to change something."
    - Adam Jensen, Deus Ex: Human Revolution

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast