Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mac, AO, Crossover

If all fails... bootcamp?
    Formerly Vhab.
    Once upon a time ruled a server. And then sold out. Sorry.

I think a few more details would be helpful. Which Mac do you have and which graphics card is in that Mac? I would suggest you try to set the "Emulate Virtual Desktop" option in the Wine Control Panel, and set a smaller, "old fashioned", "more standard" resolution, such as "800x600" or "1024x768" and then run the AO. For Crossover, you can get to your Wine Control Panel by using the Configure Menu -> Manage Bottles ... -> Select whatever bottle you installed AO into -> Click the Control Panel tab -> choose Wine Control Panel from the list -> Click Launch Selected item.

When the AO Client pops up, go into the "Settings" page and check what AO thinks is your display settings. The graphics card should be something like "Wine D3D device" and the resolution should be whatever you entered in the Wine Control Panel above, and now the display resolution *should* match up. If you get this working, you can start to try to troubleshoot getting it to run in full screen.
    Froobalicious General of Barador Arin.

-- Playing AO for six years, still a nuub gimp, and proud of it!

Install Windows
    Thor Mastablasta Hammersmith - Level 220, AI 30, LE 70 Clan Atrox Nano Technician - Setup
    The Red Brotherhood

I'm a Nano-Technician, don't ever expect me to fight unbuffed, alone or fair.

Means: about f'ing time :P
    Satenia: heresy <3
    Znore: Mastablasta <3
    Kinkstaah: I have agro from many mobs ;(
    Madarab: we are aoe class, we are supose to use pistols
    Marxgorm: the NT toolset does not fit into my raiding tactics

Quote Originally Posted by Mastablasta View Post
    Install Windows

I do =P But I want to be able to play away from my desktop

Lliers - I have macbook 13", 2007 i believe? Im looking to get a macbook pro 13"(or 15") i5, but those are pricey...ill add more details to this when i get a chance to look at it.
    Scempio General of Midnight Society

This is how I've got mine setup; http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y83...8at63521PM.png

my macbook is a macbook 13 intel core 2 duo 2ghz 2gb RAM.

Lliers; I've done what you suggested and its a no-go. Not sure why or what i may be missing..

Hmm... supposedly all Macbooks have nVidia graphics cards... which is good. Wine/Crossover should be able to easily handle D3D T&L HAL, though you might want to try without T&L and 16 bit color depth just for grins.

I'm stumped. Is this a fresh installation of AO or did you copy an installation over from your Windows machine?

fresh install, and if i choose another option it tells me something about not supporting the selected option and goes to the default

Deselect "Run in Window Mode" in your AO Settings. WINE is already running in windowed mode. That should do the trick.
    Level 200 Nanomage Nano-Technician on Rimor speaking... - Unit Commander of Knights of Ka
    Toons:(*=froobs)
    Zzzzzzwap* (inofficial main),
    Krisplin* (main, but buff whore),
    Theophrastus* (piercing doc - aka froob shade)
    Kosminski (Shade - Yes, i went paid...)
    Codeleet (s10 & pvp)
    ~ Founder of TL5+ - Rimor TL5+ froob raid force ~ || ~ My Tweet... ~

Quote Originally Posted by DocJones View Post
    Deselect "Run in Window Mode" in your AO Settings. WINE is already running in windowed mode. That should do the trick.
    Ya, I've tried the window mode/emulate desktop settings for AO/Wine all the different ways, and they all work for me. This is so weird. AO has been working in Wine/Crossover for ages. It had primarily been the patching that had been a problem in the past.

What I've done was: Install AO on Windows and fire it up to prove everything was patched up and working. Either copy the entire AO directory (or just mount the partition on which the AO directory lives if you installed it into a DOS partition on a dual-boot machine), and point Wine/Crossover at the Anarchy.exe. Fire it up and life is good. It keeps all your settings (including Run in Windowed mode from my Windows settings).

Quote Originally Posted by DocJones View Post

Tried, No go.

Lliers, i will try that, but for some reason im not able to view the c drive in the bottle like i was able to before (where i was able to open it from the desktop)

so i tried running bootcamp, i can't continue cause it tells me the startup disk cannot be partitioned or restored on a single partition

...so...unsure of what i need to do now...i -really- dont want to reformat as i just got everything the way i like it.

edit: tried copying my ao folder from my desktop to my mac and it still does the same thing. i noticed the crossover html engine wont install, and when i try it opens up IE and is unable to load the page it is trying to go to..
    Last edited by Hakuoal; Oct 31st, 2010 at 07:19:20.

So strange that you are having so many and such a variety of problems. I thought Mac's were supposed to be easier.

Ok, Bootcamp - did you attempt to create a DOS/FAT32 boot partition or NTFS? If you choose NTFS, then things are easier but you won't be able to see the Bootcamp partition when booted in Mac OS without some special NTFS driver (NTFS-3G or Tuxera or something). If you create a DOS partition, it has to be equal to or smaller than 32 GB. When you install Windows, you cannot use any kind of quick format option or assume that the Bootcamp partitioning utility did the correct thing for you. You must allow the windows installer to do a full reformat on the Bootcamp partition. (The side benefit of using a FAT32 partition and having the ability to see your windows installation from Mac OS is the ability to run VMWare Fusion or Parallels directly from your Bootcamp windows installation.)

I get the feeling that there is something broken in your Crossover installation. If you did this in Crossover: Create a brand spanking new bottle (maybe get rid of all your old crufty bottles if you have nothing else installed running in them). Go into the WineCfg control panel and visit the Audio Tab to make sure sound drivers are selected, and set the graphics to the desired settings. Install IE6 into that bottle (or Crossover HTML Engine if you're not going to worry about patching). Then from the File -> Open menu open Anarchy.exe and choose this fresh new bottle as the one to use, and you're still getting gigantic cursor, I think it might be time to exercise your Crossover user support. Do other DX7 windows programs work in Crossover for you? It really shouldn't be this hard.

when i try to install IE6, it tells me it is not compatible with the bottle selected. my bottle is winvista, i set up a new bottle with xp to see if it would work there, still says incompatible. i agree with you, in why the hell am i having so much trouble with this when it should have been up by now; but maybe this thread will answer questions other mac users have trying to get it to work if theyre having issues as well. FC needs to just develop and support a mac version already.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y83...at112223AM.png

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y83...1at11151PM.png -- this is everythign ive done to a new bottle (winxp) and i still get the same thing, the res is 800x600x32 in the client and 800x600 in the emulator

any other suggestions?? >>
    Last edited by Hakuoal; Oct 31st, 2010 at 21:20:07.

I'm stumped, only my last suggestion should have mentioned that I was talking about opening Anarchy.exe from a "copied over from Windows" installation in a winxp bottle, but it seems that you've figured that out since you managed to get IE6 installed. So you have Crossover... not Crossover Games or Crossover Pro (which lets you download Crossover Games for free). Well, it shouldn't matter, because AO should work in Crossover as well as Crossover Games. So you're using a winxp bottle now?

Back to the Bootcamp issues, you did attempt to use the Bootcamp utility to add a FAT32 partition right? You can't install windows into your Mac OS X partition, and the nice thing about Bootcamp is that it actually lets you add a partition and it must move data around to make that possible, since it doesn't format your Mac OS X partition to create a new Windows partition.

i have two partitions (named slacker 1 and slacker 2) on one HDD; each 125GB. what would i have to do to my slacker 2 partition to get bootcamp going? reformat it with disk utility to FAT? (cause i dont see a fat32 option)

and about the copying full windows ao install, i did that earlier with the winxp bottle.

125GB is too big for FAT32 partition, which is why you won't see it as an option. You can either use Bootcamp utility to move the partition division to back to 215GB/32GB OR install Windows using NTFS. Either way, I think that a full reformat of the slacker 2 partition during the windows installation would be the safe way to go (instead of any quick format or use the bootcamp formatted partition as is) given how much trouble you're having.

Also, FYI, after some Googling, it appears that other people are having garbled graphics like you are experiencing when using Wine. I still haven't found that people have a solution yet.

thats the thing, i dont get any options for bootcamp cause i click continue and what i said above is why i cant go forword with it

here's how i did it.

1. install VMware Fusion
    2. install winxp
    3. install and fully patch and update AO in vmware.
    4. copy the resulting AO folder somewhere safe on your mac (desktop?)
    5. install crossover
    6. install AO through crossover (blah blah unsupported application, manual install, whatever) in a winxp bottle
    7. in the settings of crossover navigate to the bottle's C drive and delete the AO folder
    8. copy over the patched AO folder that you made in vmware to where the crossover AO folder was.
    9. launch AO
    10. ???
    11. PROFIT

ok i will try that cuisin

update: didnt work cuisin lol
    i will try the bootcamp thing later tonight or this weekend, for now ill just have to play on my desktop til i figure this out...i dont like playing on that slow thing though lol. will update this when i try bootcamp, thanks for the suggestions everyone.
    Last edited by Hakuoal; Nov 4th, 2010 at 22:54:43.

Got directed here by a post elsewhere by DocJones. Forgot all about this since the 18.4 patch. I need to remember to visit here from time to time. Anyhow, as the 18.4 patch, AO is now officially broken on CrossOver. As of the last released version of CrossOver (10.0), Codeweavers has incorporated WINE 1.3.9 into their application. At a minimum, an un-patched version of wine needs to be at least version 1.3.13 (or 14) to mostly run AO, and you would not be able to mouse-look/mouse-steer.

Even when CrossOver gets past WINE 1.3.13, their official policy is not to pull in specific patches, so the end result will be no mouse movement in AO until WINE itself has a proper RawInputDevice implementation.

Mac users need to consider building their own version of WINE. So... temporarily redirecting this thread to http://forums.anarchy-online.com/sho...3&postcount=47

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12