Thread: Anyone else playing minecraft?

Inspired by Gatester's farms and Wrangeline's bay-of-torches:

Coming out of my hideyhole

Inside my treefarm

Overviewing my caveprotector/housethingie from the treefarm, notice how it's connected to the rock - I can go there through my hideyhole. Below it is a giant natural cave, which I can safely farm in.

Ah, and of course, viewed from the treefarm's entrance my original hideyhole. Let me tell you it's a bad idea to make the main entrance to your home under a rock like that, because the creeps don't automatically die when it's day - lack of sunlight. In combination with a door, it does have very good farming potential (you can hit creeps through the door, while they can't hit you). Hoping the sapling to the left will grow into a tree eventually.. would look good.
    Lupusceleri L220/30/70 Agent -- Advisor of Spartans -- equip endgame AR setup endgame def setup <3 Azs wearer of Cheree's pants
    Arrowsmith -- Arafellin -- Alphacenta -- Aesculapias -- Wolfseye -- Lysdexic

TL5 enf twink: im out those MPs are to overpowered

crattey: The Balance Discussion forum. Where common sense goes to die.

I love how people are using the phrase "tree farm" when talking about Minecraft. Wouldn't that just be... you know.. a wood? Or forest? Or orchard? Or any one of the words that already exist to describe a group of trees?
    Hello and welcome to The Internet. Please leave your common sense, decency and humanity with the doorman. Have a nice stay.

Squad Commander and resident Shade of When I Grow Up

Is your GUI getting in the way of playing AO?
    Do you want to be able to take screenshots quickly and easily without hotbars, wings and chat windows getting in the way?
    Are you getting tired of that blue colour scheme?
    Try using my Uncluttered GUI!

I'd point out that tree farm is a phrase that already exists and used.

Its a term for plots of land where tree's are grown purely to be cut down for timber (like minecraft ones)

Woods and forests are used to refer to natural masses of tree's and orchards are generally for referring to groups of tree's being grown for fruit or flower.

Quote Originally Posted by Scabadus View Post
    I love how people are using the phrase "tree farm" when talking about Minecraft. Wouldn't that just be... you know.. a wood? Or forest? Or orchard? Or any one of the words that already exist to describe a group of trees?

A farm that raises trees (for wood or to sell the actual tree).

A wood/forest is a natural thing. An orchard is for fruit-trees.
    Lupusceleri L220/30/70 Agent -- Advisor of Spartans -- equip endgame AR setup endgame def setup <3 Azs wearer of Cheree's pants
    Arrowsmith -- Arafellin -- Alphacenta -- Aesculapias -- Wolfseye -- Lysdexic

TL5 enf twink: im out those MPs are to overpowered

crattey: The Balance Discussion forum. Where common sense goes to die.

Wow I stand corrected. I was aware of renewable forests but I had never heard of tree farms before, that is easily the most bizzare thing I've seen today.
    Hello and welcome to The Internet. Please leave your common sense, decency and humanity with the doorman. Have a nice stay.

Squad Commander and resident Shade of When I Grow Up

Is your GUI getting in the way of playing AO?
    Do you want to be able to take screenshots quickly and easily without hotbars, wings and chat windows getting in the way?
    Are you getting tired of that blue colour scheme?
    Try using my Uncluttered GUI!

That is why you don´t live in Germany or somewhere else where Christmas trees are VEEEERY popular, in Germany for example there were almost 30.000.000 christmas trees sold last year.

Of course you can´t get 30 million trees out of the forests so you need to raise them especially for the holiday season

Let´s get back to minecraft, due to the stupid Video of the Clockwork Bahamut i started to mess around with those TNT and Cannon Stuff myself, this finally saved me from deleting the game, not that it wasn´t fun or addictive... but it began to become boring after i build a gigantic statue of myself and my wished rollercoaster alongside a waterslide... (that reminds me of the fact that i wanted to make a vid of them... hopefully at the weekend).
    Last edited by ElBoogy; Oct 26th, 2010 at 20:06:29.

Been doing a lot of work lately on my house and pool-area.

In my house I got wooden floors, tiled roof, special cobblestone walls, pictures, book-cases, infinite water-supply (kinda like a sink), incinerator (lava-stream inside my wall where I can throw trash and make it go away.

Extra staircases to my house from strategic positions. Cleared away half the hillside just to create a great view of the sunset when looking out my big living-room window.

Made a greenhouse out of glass where I have planted crops, complete with walkways so I wont step on the crops and ruin them- There's a sign outside that says "Greeenhouse. Crops stay in! Cops stay out!"

Made a huge tower behind my house with a torch-lit staircase. That tower has a water-tank that sends a narrow river of water down a long aqueduct-type thing that stretches out over my pool and sends a water-fall down into the pool. This doubles as a nice place to dive from

Have refined the beach area a bit and made things more classy.

Added area with multiple furnaces in my house so I can multi-task my smelting.

Found 20 diamonds so I got the diamond tools I need finally

My next goal is to find a good way to light up my giant Megaman and Mario and such so that they are visible during the night.
    Veteran of Equilibrium

Quote Originally Posted by Wrangeline View Post
    My next goal is to find a good way to light up my giant Megaman and Mario and such so that they are visible during the night.
    I have been thinking of better lighting as well. At first I thought about setting wood blocks at various places, floating ones, and then lighting them on fire "appropriately" to make large torches. However, I thought of what I believe to be the way to get good lighting, I just haven't done it yet.

Make a 3x3x3 glass cube that floats wherever you want. You can do a smaller one but I prefer a complete shape. Leave the top open and place lava in the center, then place glass cube on top. Viola, super light. I just can't remember if glass melts in contact with lava or not lol. If it does just use the half-steps on the side and bottom and the light should shine through.

lava lights are my favourite way of lighting, just requires sacraficing obsidian to do so, tubes of glass filled with em = lighting

Also perma burning logs is another way.

Course, when the halloween update comes up, you'll have those blocks that eternally burn for lighting. Not to mention whatever else comes out from it, since there is 5 or 6 new block types.
    220/30 - Spartanx9. Back for a good while.

Quote Originally Posted by Haquihana
    Haquihana: And Spartanx9, I dont usually spend much time in the soldier forums.. you all don't make enough rucus (NOTE: this is not a message of approval to go cause unjust trouble)
    Sounds like i need to cause some trouble I kid i kid

Though how much light they'll give is unknown, as is the recipe for lanterns (what all current torches will change into) and normal torches will have to be relit.

Heres a few images from my world, though non of my super project yet

My main base in the world
    Close up of my greenhouse
    Close up of my mining base
    My mining abode
    The entrance to the bottomless pit of resources

A few things I'd like to point out, my little waterfall and lake with boat is a nice way to pass the time, my cart tracks now fully powered!

And the lava pit in my house is open to allow for dumping unwanted spoils into the lava (got fed up of filling chests with dirt)

Also my armour is diamond, but creepers keep damaging it

Quote Originally Posted by Xenotric View Post
    Though how much light they'll give is unknown, as is the recipe for lanterns (what all current torches will change into) and normal torches will have to be relit.
    True, though if you got a lot of coal, now is the time to actually start making billions of torches.

Got bored with my old world, so i decided to roll another one. Once i start working on this one (winter map yay), I'll throw up some screenies.

Haquihana: And Spartanx9, I dont usually spend much time in the soldier forums.. you all don't make enough rucus (NOTE: this is not a message of approval to go cause unjust trouble)

Funcom employee

http://www.pcgamer.com/2010/10/29/mi...date-hands-on/ -- New PC Gamer article with lots of pictures and a video of a "slip portal" in action (apparently it's no longer "Hell" but "The Slip"). Can't wait can't wait can't wait.
    Brad L. McAtee / Kintaii
    Former Senior AO Designer & Jack of All Trades
    (2007 - 2012)
    ~~ Twitter :: Facebook :: Norse Noir ~~

I have a backdoor in my house that leads to a workmans area. Caves and general stone-farming and such. I made a loooooong tunnel from this workmans area that leads to the other side of the mountain that my house is in.

In this tunnel I have made an automatic bus-service

I basically have a bus-terminal on my end and another bus terminal on the other end. These "terminals" are designed for easy access to the cart that is driving itself on a loop from terminal to terminal.

Basically, this long tunnel has an "in" and "out" track and in the middle of those 2 tracks I got "booster pits". Small pits 5 blocks long that has another cart in it on a tiny closed track. The purpose of this is that they propel the main cart on the main track along so that it never runs out of speed.

It's also a self-correcting system because when I drive OUT of the tunnel, the booster-carts are showed to one side of the tiny booster-track and so when the cart drives around the terminal on the other end and makes it way back, the booster-carts are automatically positioned to propel it again now that it's going in the opposite direction.

So the cart just goes on a neverending loop and whenever I need fast travel to and from my house, I just right click the cart as it comes driving past me at the terminals. Then I right click the cart to get out of it when I reach the other terminal and the cart just keeps going on it's loop.
    Last edited by Wrangeline; Oct 29th, 2010 at 16:06:09.
    Veteran of Equilibrium

Currently, I have enough money for a month of AO for halloween, or Minecraft. This thread makes me question which.

http://img72.yfrog.com/gal.php?g=mc7.png

It's a pretty huge fenced off area that I built, with a stone building for my farming, mineshaft, my 3 story house and my incinerator. House is relatively simple, with a bunch of chests filled with different stuff. Also the mountain that i'm looking at in the last picture, that took a couple of hours to remove all that stuff. The mine shaft runs all the way to the first layer of bedrock, then having a horizontal strip mine branching out all directions. I do have all diamond tools except the hoe, but I'm saving them for Hell.

It's out! (and Notch's servers are down, naturally)
    Tshaar Link
    AO TeamSpeak

The Halloween update is up, time to explore the hell-portals!
    Wallybertius, 200 Omni Engineer Solitus, male
    de-facto leader of Alt.org.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kintaii View Post
    Long story short: Thingie with the stuff. *nods sagely*

O.o Ghasts are huge and they make weird noises. So far i noticed you can shoot the projectile back with a bow, but i'm more trying to avoid them than anything.

Page 13 of 104 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192021222324252627282930313263 ... LastLast