Page 1 of 104 123456789101112131415161718192051101 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone else playing minecraft?

Anyone else playing minecraft?

Kintaii Edit! Looking for the (un)Official AO Minecraft Server? Click here!

--------------------

I saw some videos of this today and I decided to give it a try. I started playing and I didn't stop until several hours later and then only because my arm started hurting like hell

Anyone else played this game? What did you think of it and what have you done in it so far?

Some basic info about the game for those that don't know what it is (if you know what this game is all about, then just skip the rest of this post):

One single dude made this game. It's currently available in 3 forms. A flash version (that isn't really the whole game), the actual full game that you install on your PC and a multiplayer version where you can mess around in the game with other people. The full version is currently in alpha-stage but feels like a finished game to me already. The guy who made it put it up for sale and already he is making millions of dollars of it. The full version will cost 20 dollars when it's done but now in alpha-stage, you can buy it for 9 dollars and get all future updates for free (Edit: 9 euro, not dollars. My mistake).

The game is made entirely up of boxes. You can just see it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NszGurDUlHc

When you start playing this game you are presented with a randomly generated world. No two players get the same world. I myself got a world covered in snow and patches of frozen water, while most other people I have seen gets a world that seems to be in the summer-season.

You start out with nothing but your hands. The basic premise is that you are safe during the day to go anywhere you want and do anything you want. At night, zombies, skeletons, spiders and such come out and they are dangerous but can be killed if you know what you are doing. They also spawn in dark caves (even during daytime) so you have to plant torches in dark areas to prevent them from spawning there. When you start the game, it's early in the day and you need to make a safe shelter for yourself so you can survive the night and keep out of sight of the dangerous foes that roam around at night.

You start by gathering wood.
    Out of this raw wood you can make sticks and planks.
    Out of these things you can make wooden pickaxes.
    You can use pickaxes to mine into the soil to gather rocks and such.
    You can now make stone-axes and stone swords and pickaxes and such.

Any square piece of wood or rock or sand or such ends up in stacks in your inventory and you can place them down anywhere you want or craft stuff out of them.

You can make bow and arrows, stone tiles, melee weapons, walls, torches, furnace, wooden chests to store items in and so on. You kill cows for their leather so you can make armor and get wool of sheeps as well. You can pick up flowers to decorate your cave/house with. You can cook the meat you find to make it heal more HP when eaten.

The cool thing about this game is that there are no goals. You just start out in this world with nothing and then it's all up to you what you do with it. It's your world. You can remake it in any way you want, 1 square at a time.

So far I have made a home for myself inside a mountain. A wooden door at the front so no one can get in, furnace for smelting metal and cooking food, chest to store stuff in, workbench for advanced crafting, huge network of tunnels that take me out to different sides of the mountain, huge rooms that I'm not quite sure what to do with yet. Torches and tiles and such all over.

I'm currently trying to make a bow but for that I need 3 pieces of silk string from spiders but they only come out at night, so I'm being very careful not to die when I'm out there.

I see that you can even make glass with your furnace if you gather sand and such from sandy-areas and then you can make windows out of that or whatever.

Here's a video-diary if you want to see the game in action from the perspective of a new player: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bh4E...x=0&playnext=1
    Last edited by Kintaii; Jul 22nd, 2011 at 18:46:43.
    Veteran of Equilibrium

'tl;dr' but I definitely want to try this game out, looks amazing
    edit: I think Im gonna spend my whole day watching this dudes videos now..
    Last edited by Colawrenn; Oct 13th, 2010 at 16:13:47.
    Colawren - Gimpest stripped adventurer on RK1.
    Reroll Enthusiast.
    The alts: Colawrenn, Iriotz, Empea

Proud member of Forsaken and Unity of the Rose.

here is the link, btw: http://www.minecraft.net/
    Level 200 Nanomage Nano-Technician on Rimor speaking... - Unit Commander of Knights of Ka
    Toons:(*=froobs)
    Zzzzzzwap* (inofficial main),
    Krisplin* (main, but buff whore),
    Theophrastus* (piercing doc - aka froob shade)
    Kosminski (Shade - Yes, i went paid...)
    Codeleet (s10 & pvp)
    ~ Founder of TL5+ - Rimor TL5+ froob raid force ~ || ~ My Tweet... ~

playing it single player, and multi. btw some guy made 16-bit ALU ingame and it will support some basic languages in future :
    SOON™coming back...
    Neosh 220/20 Shade | Neokirurg 220/21 Doc crit setup | Neoc 216/18 Crat
    Shades are really invisible (from FC point of view)
    Patterns/symbs SALE ----- Refined imps SALE

Quote Originally Posted by Neosh1 View Post
    playing it single player, and multi. btw some guy made 16-bit ALU ingame and it will support some basic languages in future :
    It's pretty sick to see what some people are able to do when they are given basic tools
    Veteran of Equilibrium

Playing minecraft? Playing? Living.

Jokes aside, it's quite addictive. I'm splitting my very limited free time between AO and MC, while favoring AO
    Thing I like about multiplayer minecraft is: you never know what's there when you log on

www.rimor.us
    Had that server for a bit now, recently integrated whitelist system with the forums so people don't have to wait for me to grant access to their friends/family
    Last edited by Tshaar; Oct 13th, 2010 at 17:30:17.
    Tshaar Link
    AO TeamSpeak

Heard some folks on the FC IRC talk about it, but didn't try it out myself. It's nicknamed Minecrack.
    Lupusceleri L220/30/70 Agent -- Advisor of Spartans -- equip endgame AR setup endgame def setup <3 Azs wearer of Cheree's pants
    Arrowsmith -- Arafellin -- Alphacenta -- Aesculapias -- Wolfseye -- Lysdexic

TL5 enf twink: im out those MPs are to overpowered

crattey: The Balance Discussion forum. Where common sense goes to die.

I've heard lots about this but never really bothered to check it out, your description is the most detailed "summary " i've heard about it, i've now bought it just based on what you described it as. This sounds like something that's gonna take over my life.
    Deadfroobs - 18 agent- Work in progress
    Reidsangry - 30 enf - Work in progress
    Reidsmp - 76 mp
    Reidsagent - 95 agent/enf
    Reidsdrainz - 114 agent
    Reidscrat - 161 crat
    Reids - 218 crat
    Reidventurer - 220 advy
    Reidsma - 220 MA

Avoiding everything that can drag me away from AO like the devil avoids holy water.
    Level 200 Nanomage Nano-Technician on Rimor speaking... - Unit Commander of Knights of Ka
    Toons:(*=froobs)
    Zzzzzzwap* (inofficial main),
    Krisplin* (main, but buff whore),
    Theophrastus* (piercing doc - aka froob shade)
    Kosminski (Shade - Yes, i went paid...)
    Codeleet (s10 & pvp)
    ~ Founder of TL5+ - Rimor TL5+ froob raid force ~ || ~ My Tweet... ~

anyone got free offline version (without ''unlimited res'') cose i wanna build not stack
    SOON™coming back...
    Neosh 220/20 Shade | Neokirurg 220/21 Doc crit setup | Neoc 216/18 Crat
    Shades are really invisible (from FC point of view)
    Patterns/symbs SALE ----- Refined imps SALE

This is about 2 million times cooler than it sounded.

My world is a big series of hills, i've dug myself a huge room in the top of a hill, I then decided to tunnel through to every side of the hill and build a door on each entrance. I've now started to build tunnels to all the other hills

I also kept getting lost whilst exploring and not being able to find my hill, so now i've built a massive "thing" on top of my hill out of dirt

Screenshots to follow (when it's light outside )
    Reidsmp - 76 mp
    Reidsdrainz - 114 agent
    Reidscrat - 161 crat
    Reids - 218 crat
    Reidventurer - 220 advy
    Reidsma - 220 MA

Quote Originally Posted by reids View Post
    This is about 2 million times cooler than it sounded.

My world is a big series of hills, i've dug myself a huge room in the top of a hill, I then decided to tunnel through to every side of the hill and build a door on each entrance. I've now started to build tunnels to all the other hills

I also kept getting lost whilst exploring and not being able to find my hill, so now i've built a massive "thing" on top of my hill out of dirt

Screenshots to follow (when it's light outside )
    Haha, glad you like it

Ye it's important to find or build some tall landmarks so you can find your body if you die (to collect items you had on you when you died) or the cave you wanted to revisit or your house/home or whatever.

What I like about this game is attention to details. The game and graphics are so simple in its design but it's still pretty deep. You notice these little details the more you play.

I just finished making my bow and some arrows and I loved the fact that if you miss your target and it hits a wall or the ground, you can go and pick it up. So you never waste arrows

I also figured out how to make stairs out of stones at the workbench so no more spam-jumping to get up from my basement to my first floor
    Last edited by Wrangeline; Oct 13th, 2010 at 21:07:52.
    Veteran of Equilibrium

Quote Originally Posted by Wrangeline View Post
    Haha, glad you like it

Ye it's important to find or build some tall landmarks so you can find your body if you die (to collect items you had on you when you died) or the cave you wanted to revisit or your house/home or whatever.

What I like about this game is attention to details. The game and graphics are so simple in its design but it's still pretty deep. You notice these little details the more you play.

I just finished making my bow and some arrows and I loved the fact that if you miss your target and it hits a wall or the ground, you can go and pick it up. So you never waste arrows

I also figured out how to make stairs out of stones at the workbench so no more spam-jumping to get up from my basement to my first floor
    ooooooo didn't realise you can collect all your stuff if you die! It got dark outside and I went to return to my main hidey-hole but there's a spider in my tunnel, think I forgot to close a door, oops

Currently hidden myself away in a half finished chamber, with just 1 block out the wall to see when it turns to day, I now know what it's like to be a Chilean miner

edit: my landmark: http://img510.imageshack.us/img510/9773/structurey.jpg
    Reidsmp - 76 mp
    Reidsdrainz - 114 agent
    Reidscrat - 161 crat
    Reids - 218 crat
    Reidventurer - 220 advy
    Reidsma - 220 MA

I played it while it was free. It is basically the game LEGO are likely wishing they'd made instead of all that other crap that's meant to be high praise btw, LEGOs 4tw!

But, for now it's a bit too feature poor for me. If the multiplayerpart ads more cool stuff and a more evolving world where stuff happens that you have to react to, not just your own stupidity in burning down your house, then I might return.

Also, the guy making it has hired a group of people for his company and they're presently looking for an office. Included in the hired people I believe are artists.
    Thor Mastablasta Hammersmith - Level 220, AI 30, LE 70 Clan Atrox Nano Technician - Setup
    The Red Brotherhood

I'm a Nano-Technician, don't ever expect me to fight unbuffed, alone or fair.

Means: about f'ing time :P
    Satenia: heresy <3
    Znore: Mastablasta <3
    Kinkstaah: I have agro from many mobs ;(
    Madarab: we are aoe class, we are supose to use pistols
    Marxgorm: the NT toolset does not fit into my raiding tactics

The guy really has made a killing off of this game.

According to his stats page 399,035 people have bought the game, at 10 euros each...

Quote Originally Posted by Esssch View Post
    The guy really has made a killing off of this game.

According to his stats page 399,035 people have bought the game, at 10 euros each...
    Consider this: Guy makes game solo, releases in alpha, has only friends, random people and fans play it. People pay gladly to participate in alpha testing! People have fun, game develops. Guy gets more and more money, implements more features as more money allows more time spent on development. Now, 400k copies, four hundred thousand(!) copies of this piece of alpha, not even beta, software has been sold.

APB Online, All Points Bulletin, apparently a GTA-style MMO that cost 100 million $ to develop, 100 million dollars(!), sold 9000ish, nine-thousand, not a typo, copies total, and went offline about 2 months after it launched earlier this year. One guy makes a game and outsells a game that had a 5 year development time and cost 100 million $. I figure the complete lack of any hype generation for this game outside the character generation was part of what killed it. Launching in an unfinished state is apparently not a problem if your game is good enough
    Thor Mastablasta Hammersmith - Level 220, AI 30, LE 70 Clan Atrox Nano Technician - Setup
    The Red Brotherhood

I'm a Nano-Technician, don't ever expect me to fight unbuffed, alone or fair.

Means: about f'ing time :P
    Satenia: heresy <3
    Znore: Mastablasta <3
    Kinkstaah: I have agro from many mobs ;(
    Madarab: we are aoe class, we are supose to use pistols
    Marxgorm: the NT toolset does not fit into my raiding tactics

As shown by Anarchy Online in 2001!

Quote Originally Posted by Mastablasta View Post
    Consider this: Guy makes game solo, releases in alpha, has only friends, random people and fans play it. People pay gladly to participate in alpha testing! People have fun, game develops. Guy gets more and more money, implements more features as more money allows more time spent on development. Now, 400k copies, four hundred thousand(!) copies of this piece of alpha, not even beta, software has been sold.

APB Online, All Points Bulletin, apparently a GTA-style MMO that cost 100 million $ to develop, 100 million dollars(!), sold 9000ish, nine-thousand, not a typo, copies total, and went offline about 2 months after it launched earlier this year. One guy makes a game and outsells a game that had a 5 year development time and cost 100 million $. I figure the complete lack of any hype generation for this game outside the character generation was part of what killed it. Launching in an unfinished state is apparently not a problem if your game is good enough
    To me, it just goes to show how a developer that is in touch with gamers and gaming, will have a leg up on corporate moneybags that hide behind brand-names. No matter what resources are available.

This is why I often get a bit hot under my collar when I see game developers, including FC somewhat often, make decisions that doesn't connect with me as a gamer at all.

Developers that design a game in a way that they think "other people" will enjoy, usually ends up with something bad. Developers that design a game that they think they themselves will enjoy, usually ends up being good. In order for this to work, developers have to design games as a "gamer", not a "developer". Developers don't make good games. Gamers do.

The death of most gaming related potential, is that bland nonexistent theoretical average person that many developers design for.

The death of some gaming related potential are developers that forget what they are doing. You are making a GAME! If you make a game less fun because you want to stay true to the "source material" or "story" or whatever, then you are doing both yourself and your customers a disservice. At the end of the day, no one walks away from a gaming experience saying, "I'm glad they designed that thing so fiddly in order to stay realistic or true to the source material."

If we want things to be that way we watch a movie or read a book. Games are supposed to be fun based on gameplay. So make it fun and stop trying to be so damn FANCY!

Gameplay comes before graphics, story and even the inner workings of the ingame world. Make the story and graphics and inner workings of the ingame world fit the gameplay, NOT the other way around!

/rant off

Grrr >.<
    Last edited by Wrangeline; Oct 13th, 2010 at 22:40:16.
    Veteran of Equilibrium

Quote Originally Posted by Esssch View Post
    As shown by Anarchy Online in 2001!
    If this were Facebook, I would "like" this post.
    Reidsmp - 76 mp
    Reidsdrainz - 114 agent
    Reidscrat - 161 crat
    Reids - 218 crat
    Reidventurer - 220 advy
    Reidsma - 220 MA

Hai, I've been playing Minecraft pretty much nonstop for the past month.

Not built anything particularly great. But then again, I keep restarting worlds. x)

Although I'm not playing it any more. Banned myself from computer games. Darn you for not making this thread sooner!
    Kaelde ~ Gimpy engi of doom
    Ecrisi ~ Even gimpier than Kaelde

Thingymawhat of Paragon

Page 1 of 104 123456789101112131415161718192051101 ... LastLast