Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: using voices in ao good/bad??

using voices in ao good/bad??

Of course we all think right away how great it will be to actually be able to hear our friends and stuff in game

but the more I think about it the more I see potential for problems...

Scenario #1

Your minding your own business in a 2ho bunker letting debuffs run off and health/nano regain after just going out and killing someone. All of a sudden the person you killed walks into the bunker and decides to describe their feelings towards you with some extra colourfull language. Do you really want someone to be able to spam F*** you and whatever other nice words they can think of through your speakers??
    Fyrestarter
    lvl 182 doc rk1
    Every ding a doctor gets above 150 will be punished with a smaller range of people to heal, with the same healnanos

Anyone who's played FPS games where soundbytes can be used knows that 99% of the time, they are used only to annoy the heck out of people.

Terrible idea, IMO. If there is a way to turn it off (I hope!!), I will.

-Jayde

in-game voice commands

Can't say much, but can at the very least state that you will not have to endure the mad ramblings of the average Joe Blow running about. (ie this is for team communication) And can be disabled.

good to hear

hope its in temp chat and guild as well
    Fyrestarter
    lvl 182 doc rk1
    Every ding a doctor gets above 150 will be punished with a smaller range of people to heal, with the same healnanos

Speaking with guildies wouldn't be so bad. But we'll need a RK-1 and RK-2 and 3 list of people to globally ban from chat. I can't wait to hear the first 8yr old boy playing the game and trying to order me around with his extra high pitched girly voice.
    -- Falling never killed anyone, its always the landing.
    -_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-
    RK-1
    |OT|
    Telgi-61 Solitus Enforcer
    Gauf-31 Nanomage Doctor
    Saruzi- -=128=- Opifex Nano-Technician.
    Manstien-44 Solitus Soldier

Is this true voice-comm or voice-binds?

Voice-comm, well, I should have to turn a person *on* to hear them.

Voice-binds, which any T2 player will know quite well, are extraordinarily useful for coordinating team actions ("Attack My Target" becomes vta). I'd love to see those making their way in, with the caveat that you should only hear them from "Team" and private groups. Maybe guildchat.
    Gunned down the young. Now old, crotchety, and back.

Voice-binds not voice-comm

The voice commands are static voice binds to be used in the chaos of combat to better facilitate communication. Players will be able to replace their stock voice-binds with custom ones which will surely pop up on the net shortly after the BP launch.

So this isn't going to allow me to bind "heal" to key sequence and activate it by vocal command?

I'd much rather have this than voice tags.. blah..

Any of you remember Diablo II? You would hit a key like CTRL+F1 and your character would holler 'Help me!' in whatever voice was appropriate for yer sex and profession.

Probably same thing here. You hit a hotkey and the chat client will send out a special escape sequence. When someone else with the booster receives the trigger in chat, instead of simply putting text in yer window, you'll 'hear' that character hollering 'Follow me!', 'Good job!', 'Wait here!'.

As far as customizing is concerned, they probably putting a spin on you being able to copy over the default voice files with ones you record yourself.

That kind of thing.

Bio's got it.

Hopefully, instead of Diablo's *very* limited set, they'll follow the Tribes 2 mold and include very detailed menus.

For example, in T2 you hit:

v (voice)

And are given the options

T (team)
    S (self)
    G (global, prolly wouldn't make it into AO )
    B (base)
    V (quick messages)
    etc, etc...

Let's say you picked the V menu, the quickbinds.

You'd then get options like

H (Help!)
    N (No.)
    Y (Yes.)
    Q (Quiet.)
    A (Acknowledged.)
    C (Got you covered.)
    F (I've got the flag!)
    etc, etc.

If you used the S menu, you'd find options like

A (I will attack.)
    D (I will defend.)
    R (I will repair.)
    etc, etc.

So, to say "I will attack" you hit VSA. To reply "No." you hit VVN. Once you learn the binds, you can do this really quickly.

The system is pretty detailed, and very useful for communications amongst a team.

If FC implements a good system like this, detailed tree implementation, especially with replaceable binds (have a guild voicebind set for customized voices), then I'd definitely be happy with it.

Maybe I'm weird, but this is the coolest thing in the pack, in my opinion. I love voice commands. w00t w00t. =)
    k- This message has been reviewed by intrusive goons searching for "evil-doers".

You died of weapon damage!

vgs

=)

Arrow Voice Binds

First a question - will people without the booster be able to hear these? (ie does the booster give you the ability to send but anyone can receive as it were?)

Now, what binds would be useful? Here are a few suggestions...

Add!
    Got aggro!
    Heal me!
    Run!
    Ready?
    Yes
    No
    OK
    Incoming!

I'd also hope that there would be several voice 'packs', so you can pick a style for your character.
    "Do not try and catch the hamster... that's impossible. Instead only try to realize the truth... There is no hamster, only a deadbeat rollerat..."

[Social] Means: I don't think we removed any bosses because of bad pathing...there wouldnt be any left if we did :P

AO Character Skill Emulator and Character Parser and AO Implant Layout Helper

Re: Voice Binds

Originally posted by Darkbane

Now, what binds would be useful? Here are a few suggestions...
    "Don't shoot that, you morons, I just calmed it!"

"Newsflash: damage breaks roots!"

"Attack ONE MONSTER AT A TIME!"

...and other things an oft-exasperated NT trying to keep team alive might need

I'd guess that people without booster would just get the text associated with the message.

I require "SHAZBOT".
    k- This message has been reviewed by intrusive goons searching for "evil-doers".

Smile

Originally posted by Bionitrous
    I'd guess that people without booster would just get the text associated with the message.
    Yeah, your probably (tending to certainty) right.

I've a couple more I missed...

woot!
    ding!

How could we survive without these...
    "Do not try and catch the hamster... that's impossible. Instead only try to realize the truth... There is no hamster, only a deadbeat rollerat..."

[Social] Means: I don't think we removed any bosses because of bad pathing...there wouldnt be any left if we did :P

AO Character Skill Emulator and Character Parser and AO Implant Layout Helper

from the way you describe it

i bet nobody of you has the problem that the chat client is the real crash killer as well?

i oftentimes have to clean my tell list and if i get shot a tell when zoning it is pure luck if i go through without ao shooting itself to hell.

guess 512+128 ram is not enough for ao.
    sept 03 - the day ao was keeled by sl.

gone now. byebye.

Originally posted by Blue Cat
    I require "SHAZBOT".
    Damn straight.

Oh, how about:

"Free up 1 NCU, the NCU buff is bugged."
    "No, really, I meant it."
    "FREE UP ONE NCU OR I'LL FEED YOU TO AN EREMITE."

sh...sh...sh...sh...sh...sh...SHAZBOT!
    Spewing truth from every orifice.
    Fixanox - Member of Eternal Fury.
    Cronoco

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast