Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Friday with Means – September 24th, 2010 – Questions and Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Means View Post
    Going hand in hand with these changes we will see the required number of people to start a BS drop from 12 to 8 and the people required for it to remain running drop to 4.
    May have been better to just change that part or at least see how things go with just that change for a while before tinkering with the level ranges. Oh, well, can always change things around some more later.

During the last year the render team has been tearing the engine apart and rebuilding it better, stronger, faster and more optimized.
    Kinda reminded me of the intro for the old Bionicman TV show.

-------------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by nanoforcer View Post
    Any information about what you mentioned a few weeks ago about setting up an option to dump xp/sk directly into pool?
    I accidentally dinged my 200 char last night so i'm a bit annoyed by that...
    I asked that last week, he didn't answer it, I was sad.

No. For now the new engine is DX9.
    Not that I know much on how easy it is to add support for DX version, but isn't DX9 getting kind of dated and wouldn't it of been better to start of by aiming for higher?
    Major "Grimclaw" Sinister Solitus - Enforcer | Alucard "Opigrim" Ashwell Opifex - Shade | Queen "Shoomi" Hex Opifex - Keeper

Quote Originally Posted by Grim_One View Post
    Not that I know much on how easy it is to add support for DX version, but isn't DX9 getting kind of dated and wouldn't it of been better to start of by aiming for higher?
    Downloaded Civ5 two days ago and the play options are DX9 or DX10/11. I'd say that it's plenty sufficient.

Best,
    Gora

I would support a resignation form. They would have to kill your faction back to zero and put a 6 month nano that would not allow you to choose a side. You would also have to be naked to do it. (insert joke here)

Story Line

It was 5:45 am as a blurry eyed Caighil wandered through the predawn light seeking redemption. He had not slept that night, or for that matter, many nights. He was about to turn his back on his friends, family and his life. The war was getting to him, and he could no longer support Omni and what they stood for. He wanted peace. He wanted to change allegiances. After years of fighting the Clan, he had come to realize that in the end they were no different then the Omni. Seeking plunder from their foe controlling the poor and needy for their own gains.

He had meet John Graham in The Cup, doing a job handing out Pamphlets. John must have seen Caighil's dissatisfaction and befriended him. Their get togethers continued over the next few months and when John was satisfied that he could trust Caighil, and was sure that he was a candidate he broached the subject with him.

"Caighil, we're friends right?"
    "Absolutely, whats on your mind John?"
    "I have something to ask you, but I need to know that I can trust you. Can I trust you?"
    "Yes. What is it?"
    "If you could leave the Omni, would you?"
    "You mean go Clan?? Never!!"
    "No, not clan."
    "What ... are you talking about?"
    "Neutral my friend, come join me!"
    "It can not be done. How?"
    "Science. We sedate the subject, and implant a device that runs a nano to makes you forget your allegiances. Basically we reset you belief systems. This nano runs for 6 months. Ethically speaking we could not make you always stay with us or we are no different from the Clan or the Omni."
    "So after 6 months, I can choose to go back or stay."
    "That is correct. Any sided armor or items will also be rendered useless as we require you to be naked to complete the process."
    "John, I will need to think about this. I will get in touch with you within the week."
    "Thank you Caighil, and good luck."

7am

Caighil lay naked on the table with 2 doctors standing over him. They were injecting him with an anesthetic. As he slept, the surgery took place. When the surgery was complete, the Doctor walked to the Computer Terminal and pressed his finger to the screen, hitting the activate button.

"Hostile Nano 'Emerge to Freedom' has been run in Caighil's NCU. All Faction = 0. Side = Neutral."

To be continued

I am not a writer, so excuse the lameness. Just trying to make it fit into the story line.
    Last edited by Caighil3; Sep 24th, 2010 at 18:58:06.
    "Yeah when I walk as a shadow through the valley of death I will be feared as evil!"

Do you really have to ask this when there's another thread debating whether Win XP or Win 7 is better?

well, fact they're going from DX7 to 9 is already a huge improvement in itself. so yeah.. they did try to aim higher.

Level 1 to 300 in 8 Years! Pwn!
    - Join us on Discord! -
    AO WIKI!
    Arcanum!

Quote Originally Posted by shadowgod View Post
    well, fact they're going from DX7 to 9 is already a huge improvement in itself. so yeah.. they did try to aim higher.
    actually using your video card is FTW

Engineers are next up. This is likely to take a bit more time as it will involve a general overhaul process of ALL the pets and pet abilities for all professions.

I have a feeling that we'll be seeing more crats in game then engineers,
    and the existing engineer population rapidly declining or holding a huge protest/rally/strike in the middle of borealis.
    but please prove me wrong on this.
    Last edited by Xyphos; Sep 24th, 2010 at 19:19:46.
    "When life knocks you on your butt, you have to get back up and punch it in the face." --DJ Ashval of GSP

Nullified "Bitbucket" Deadcode - 220/25 Neut NanoMage Engi
    Bits10 - 150/14 Clan Opifex Trader

Quote Originally Posted by Autohead View Post
    Yeah, was pretty pissed about the engine info, sounds to me like him flip-flopping on saying they weren't going to support both engines is mostly to blame. I mean seriously, I'm sure the people that would have to stick with the old client are a VAST minority. Sounds like a huge waste of time to me...but...yeah at least he's saying rebalance This Year™

...but I find that extremely hard to believe considering the lack of information we have at the moment and it's almost October. Or does the Norwegian New Year not start in January?
    If he means fiscal Q1, then it could be April, March, July, September, or possibly January >.<

Actually, scratch that. FC's fiscal year begins in May (lifted from the Q1 report). So this year could be before January, could also be by April.

Also, major LOL at the RP crowd coming out of the woodworks to lay down the law. Sic him boys!
    The Fine Arts:
    Mime | Surgery | Zen
    The Traitor

Xirayne: I couldn't care less about who is clueless or what the exact definition "real" pvp is in ao, I want "fun" pvp!

Quote Originally Posted by Alternity View Post
    In bed!!!
    I question this, wrong nick
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Old maintainer and hoster of Helpbot, Xyphos, AO Minecraft Server, AO Devs
    Old dictator on Atlantean

thanx for these answers.
    just really hope there won't be any delay on engine ; startup, rebalance seem more and more secondary to me compared to engine.
    Bitnykk/Bittorrent - young RL of AP & old emissary of CODE

=) Good stuff going on here, I see.
    Towerblock, 220/30/70 Engineer
    President of Steadfast

And way too many alts...

Thumbs up

I, along with other people at the Q and A in Oslo saw the lighting effects which included effects which were extra ordinary for a DX9 client. Wish some DX10 games showed some of that. Gimme more, more more
    Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
    Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
    The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
    The ceremony of innocence is drowned.

I’m not a huge roleplayer but from a story perspective it has always felt absurd that you could return to being neutral after taking a side in the conflict. This would be used to flip-flop between sides and we would definitely see a “bandwagon” effect in Notum Wars. From a technical perspective it also plays havoc with player faction levels. I have no plans for implementing Sided-Neutral changes.

I have the deepest respect for you, but that comment is just... well, totally off...
    You do not support people retreating from the conflict due to the risk of "flip-flopping" between sides, yet the active participants of the conflict clan/omni are free to "flip-flop" whenever they feel like it?

It's probably already done by now, but let me point you towards this link to part of the existing story line :
    First appearance of neutrals

The first "neutrals" appear when Omni-Tek employees - as well as clan members - abandon their affiliations and settle in non-political zones. Fearing more ICC interventions, OT authorities turn a blind eye to these neutrals.
    Source: http://www.anarchy-online.com/wsp/an...&table=CONTENT

If anything everyone should be allowed to go neutral whenever they feel like it, if they no longer wish to be part of the conflict between clan/omni.

Switching freely between clan and Omni makes WAY less sense than any clan/omni switching to neutral...
    Mekhdoc 220/27/70 Equip | Mekh 220/28/67 Equip | Shadesch 220/21/70 Equip
    Mekhkeeper 220/22/70 Equip | Roflmao 220/15/50 | Fixyaself 200/23/64 Equip

Quote Originally Posted by Spluggorth View Post
    Please don't touch and nerf my runspeed yet again!
    i remember the days when i moved like lightning, jumped higher than the sky..and used my Yalm as a submarine!...Small changes to these normal things is slowly taking away some of the Edge that AO has in my opinion.
    QFT. I feel so slow these days I mean, it doesn't help that I'm an MP, so my selfed runspeed is like high 1700s, low 1800s (this is from memory you nazis), while some other profs run around with 2k+ selfed. I know, it doesn't seem like that big of a diference, but getting a small 200 run buff actually makes me WAY faster.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gora View Post
    Downloaded Civ5 two days ago and the play options are DX9 or DX10/11. I'd say that it's plenty sufficient.

Best,
    Gora
    You downloaded Civ5 and you're here posting instead of playing it? What's wrong with you? D:

jk, I just downloaded it yesterday. Played it for 6 hours straight (and would've gone for more, but it was 2am and figured I should go to bed), but I still had to come check the FWM ;D

Quote Originally Posted by darkwalkx View Post
    Just a quik question: Won't this mean you will have to adjust stuff for both the old and the new version? Supporting 2 versions will cost time as well
    Yeah agree with you, why bother with old client when you have a new faster/more stable client.
    I am sure the sql part shouldn't be that hard, but you might end up using methods that
    the old client don΄t like to much.

Dish the old client. Bump!

Quote Originally Posted by Sama View Post
    actually using your video card is FTW
    Yesh. Very much so. And clipping. Should get us on the better side of 2002's graphics tech.

I'm pretty sure that FC's trying to create 2 versions of the engine is a bad use of a small staff's time. The people who have played this game for years would be willing to update their computer hardware if a newer AO engine required it - I'm confident of that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorathon View Post
    Wouldn't it be better if all the attributes were combined into one skill called "goodness?"

Quote Originally Posted by Klanbear View Post
    I, along with other people at the Q and A in Oslo saw the lighting effects which included effects which were extra ordinary for a DX9 client. Wish some DX10 games showed some of that. Gimme more, more more
    That puts me at ease a bit.
    Major "Grimclaw" Sinister Solitus - Enforcer | Alucard "Opigrim" Ashwell Opifex - Shade | Queen "Shoomi" Hex Opifex - Keeper

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast