Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: (un)Official AO Spotify Playlist!

Funcom employee (un)Official AO Spotify Playlist!

For everyone who has Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/kintaii...1m2g8LjoTcg3Nx -- Collaborative playlist, so gief music!

(if someone else wants to write up a huge post explaining what Spotify is, go for it - otherwise ignore Xyphos' post and go here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spotify)
    Brad L. McAtee / Kintaii
    Former Senior AO Designer & Jack of All Trades
    (2007 - 2012)
    ~~ Twitter :: Facebook :: Norse Noir ~~

spotify:track:5PC07vOtMYMmGOn4TYlc0n is missing
    Fapfap - 220/19 Fixer
    Fappers - 220/22 NT
    Autoafk - 220/21 Crat
    Hisap - 220/20 Shade
    Autofil - 212/11 Enf
    Hisap1 - 211/13 Sol
    Autofap - 211/9 Agt

Funcom employee

Then add it! =D

(awesome track btw)
    Brad L. McAtee / Kintaii
    (2007 - 2012)

Quote Originally Posted by Kintaii View Post
    (if someone else wants to write up a huge post explaining what Spotify is, go for it)
    how about a short one?

<satireExplain>sploitify is a attempt to bypass copyright infringement and anti-pirating laws in 3rd world countries that have very loose laws about such; this is done by "tuning into" someone else's computer so you can selectively listen to their songs without having to download and store them on your computer. since the files aren't downloaded and stored on your computer, it's technically not pirating and no physical evidence of pirating can be used against you. </satireExplain>

<serious>note that it's not available to the USA at this moment, and most likely never will be.
    also requires windows or mac, once again leaving us *nix users out of the loop unless ran under wine.</serious>
    Last edited by Xyphos; Mar 12th, 2010 at 12:12:46.
    "When life knocks you on your butt, you have to get back up and punch it in the face." --DJ Ashval of GSP

Nullified "Bitbucket" Deadcode - 220/25 Neut NanoMage Engi
    Bits10 - 150/14 Clan Opifex Trader

Funcom employee

Quote Originally Posted by Xyphos View Post
    stuff
    Yey! Funsies!

Quote Originally Posted by MstrBstrd View Post
    Yey! Funsies!
    Yay! Chickenfight!
    Level 200 Nanomage Nano-Technician on Rimor speaking... - Unit Commander of Knights of Ka
    Toons:(*=froobs)
    Zzzzzzwap* (inofficial main),
    Krisplin* (main, but buff whore),
    Theophrastus* (piercing doc - aka froob shade)
    Kosminski (Shade - Yes, i went paid...)
    Codeleet (s10 & pvp)
    ~ Founder of TL5+ - Rimor TL5+ froob raid force ~ || ~ My Tweet... ~

Your Spotify list got just

Teuvo Loman'ed

Quote Originally Posted by Xyphos View Post
    how about a short one?

<serious>note that it's not available to the USA at this moment, and most likely never will be.
    also requires windows or mac, once again leaving us *nix users out of the loop unless ran under wine.</serious>
    It is if you make so someone regs a premium acc for you where it is available.
    And yes there are several open source clients for Spotify.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Old maintainer and hoster of Helpbot, Xyphos, AO Minecraft Server, AO Devs
    Old dictator on Atlantean

Funcom employee

Quote Originally Posted by Iriche View Post
    It is if you make so someone regs a premium acc for you where it is available.
    And yes there are several open source clients for Spotify.
    Actually, it doesn't even require that much - If I, for example, was to make a free account here in Norway, someone from the US could log in and use it as much as they want so long as someone from the home country the account was created from logs in once every two weeks. So I could make an account here, give my friend back in the US the details, and they could use the account so long as I log in every couple of weeks to reset the access. Not exactly what the Spotify guys had in mind, I imagine, but it does work.

And yes, there are open-source Spotify clients, but *those* only work on Premium accounts. They really need to get on with bringing Spotify to the US/Canada/Rest of the known world, though - Such an awesome service.
    Brad L. McAtee / Kintaii
    (2007 - 2012)

Actually, it doesn't even require that much - If I, for example, was to make a free account here in Norway, someone from the US could log in and use it as much as they want so long as someone from the home country the account was created from logs in once every two weeks. So I could make an account here, give my friend back in the US the details, and they could use the account so long as I log in every couple of weeks to reset the access. Not exactly what the Spotify guys had in mind, I imagine, but it does work.

And yes, there are open-source Spotify clients, but *those* only work on Premium accounts. They really need to get on with bringing Spotify to the US/Canada/Rest of the known world, though - Such an awesome service.
    Money rules the world, but over there it rules it with a firmer grip, the labels there have loads of money and refuse to "modernize" as they will be left out when releasing music no longer need huge corporations to print music and distribute it.

If you have lots of money you can pretty much do whatever you want.
    I bet if I had enough I could even make you guys at funcom make MP's viable in PvP and once and for all nerf adventurers....
    Hey maybe im on to something here, advs getting nothing but LOVE?

I bet humlebiens real name is Bill Gates!
    Fapfap - 220/19 Fixer
    Fappers - 220/22 NT
    Autoafk - 220/21 Crat
    Hisap - 220/20 Shade
    Autofil - 212/11 Enf
    Hisap1 - 211/13 Sol
    Autofap - 211/9 Agt

Quote Originally Posted by Autofil View Post
    Money rules the world, but over there it rules it with a firmer grip, the labels there have loads of money and refuse to "modernize" as they will be left out when releasing music no longer need huge corporations to print music and distribute it.
    Gotta love off-shore laws. Can't even host musical tablature in the US. Talk about about fanatical copyright holders.
    -Bugs
    Test Dimension

Problems with "patch not found" error while trying to get on Testlive?
    See Technogen's "Halp, I can't patch to test!" Fix

Are all songs and albums on Spotify provided with the blessings of the owners and creators of said music? If not, we should make a similar "service" with games instead of music. Could add Funcoms single player games and such. We could even make money if people had to pay for accounts on this service as well.

Let's promote that idea. It's awesome.
    Last edited by Wrangeline; Mar 12th, 2010 at 17:54:29.
    Veteran of Equilibrium

Funcom employee

Quote Originally Posted by Wrangeline View Post
    Are all songs and albums on Spotify provided with the blessings of the owners and creators of said music? If not, we should make a similar "service" with games instead of music. Could add Funcoms single player games and such. We could even make money if people had to pay for accounts on this service as well.

Let's promote that idea. It's awesome.
    Yes they are, to the point that several major record labels are controlling shareholders in the company (in case the phrasing of the post confused you, Xyphos was being sarcastic and in no way factual). You can read about the service on the Wikipedia page linked in the first post.
    Brad L. McAtee / Kintaii
    (2007 - 2012)

Yes they are, to the point that several major record labels are controlling shareholders in the company. You can read about the service on the Wikipedia page linked in the first post.
    I had to read a lot from 5 different sources in order to get a good overview of what Spotify really is and how it really works. I STILL haven't found all the info I need, which is just silly and slightly worrying.. but at least it seems like they are trying to go the legal route. So that's good.

I shall get off my warhorse then.. for now

Am I right in saying that Spotify sounds kinda like Steam except that instead of steam servers dealing with all the downloading, Spotify uses individual users "cache's" to speed up the downloads in much the same way as bit-torrents do?

If Spotify has the same level of control over its contents as Steam has with their games, then it's a good service.
    Veteran of Equilibrium

Funcom employee

Quote Originally Posted by Wrangeline View Post
    I had to read a lot from 5 different sources in order to get a good overview of what Spotify really is and how it really works. I STILL haven't found all the info I need, which is just silly and slightly worrying.. but at least it seems like they are trying to go the legal route. So that's good.

I shall get off my warhorse then.. for now

Am I right in saying that Spotify sounds kinda like Steam except that instead of steam servers dealing with all the downloading, Spotify uses individual users "cache's" to speed up the downloads in much the same way as bit-torrents do?

If Spotify has the same level of control over its contents as Steam has with their games, then it's a good service.
    More-or-less, yeah. There's no 'adding' music to Spotify - You listen to what they provide and that's it. So there's no 14 year old kids ripping and uploading the latest Linkin Park albums - Everything is provided by the record labels.

Anyway, I won't go on too much because sooner or later someone's going to pop up and start calling me a shill for the service. ;P I just want to get some new music to listen to, and figured seeing a shared playlist from all the AO players (who have Spotify) would be an interesting experiment. XD
    Brad L. McAtee / Kintaii
    (2007 - 2012)

More-or-less, yeah. There's no 'adding' music to Spotify - You listen to what they provide and that's it. So there's no 14 year old kids ripping and uploading the latest Linkin Park albums - Everything is provided by the record labels.

Anyway, I won't go on too much because sooner or later someone's going to pop up and start calling me a shill for the service. ;P I just want to get some new music to listen to, and figured seeing a shared playlist from all the AO players (who have Spotify) would be an interesting experiment. XD
    Ah yes, that sounds good. I was just worried that this would be yet another sharing "service" that ultimately lead to the wrong people getting paid while the right people got shafted yet again.

Now that I got the basic understanding under my belt, I think this service is a good step in the right direction and the purpose of this thread is a cool one. If I had an account with Spotify I would add suggestions here, but I don't

Anyway, that's enough derailing by me. Please continue
    Veteran of Equilibrium

*cough*

My official AO Playlist is located here:

www.gridstream.org

No muss. No fuss. No controversy.

*cough*

I now return you to your previously scheduled thread.
    Cathryn "Vallikat" Thompon

Your queen of muffiny goodness!
    Director - Gridstream Productions --->Tune In Here

Member, GSP Dancers

Gunney: Lissunin ta GSP mayukz me wanna play... wut bettah reezun duz enee wun need?

Quote Originally Posted by Autofil View Post
    I bet humlebiens real name is Bill Gates!
    The Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation's goal is to give everyone an equal opportunity to thrive, by reducing or eliminating obstacles like poor health and nutrition and weak educational systems. Most of its spending is directed toward three broad issues: global health, global development and programs in the United States that largely have to do with improving education.

The primary aims of the foundation are, globally, to enhance healthcare and reduce extreme poverty, and in America, to expand educational opportunities and access to information technology.

Or, in short:

The Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation's goal is to make advs uber

Quote Originally Posted by vallikat View Post
    *cough*

my official ao playlist is located here:

www.gridstream.org

no muss. No fuss. No controversy.

*cough*

i now return you to your previously scheduled thread.
    <3!!
    Gunfytr 220/30/70 Soldier Lawdog80 220/30/70 Advy
    Because we said so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarrina View Post
    I am unamused. I strongly suggest you don't unamuse me further
    Quote Originally Posted by Means View Post
    This nano blocks CH. This is intended.

I went rampage and added like 30-40 songs
    Edit: 50ish I think, actually - so sorry!
    Last edited by Silverish; Mar 15th, 2010 at 10:53:35.
    Trexremacy - 16/2 - E
    [Means]: this huge group of dancing troxes has to be the gayest moment in AO history
    [Means]: fantastic

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast