Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 'Defence' vs 'Offence'

'Defence' vs 'Offence'

Something that's been bugging me for a while is how much more 'defence' (AAD/evades) is generally available compared to 'offence' (AAO/weapon+specials skills), mainly regarding HUD/Utils items. For example:

L3 Defence HUD: +50 AAD, +100 evades = +150 'defence' total
    L3 Offence HUD: +60 AAO, +100 damage = +60 'offence' total (the +damage really isn't comparable to +100 evades... +damage is more of a counterpart to +HP imo)

= +150 'defence' vs +60 'offence'

This is also noticeable with other items like the Albtraum HUD/Utils items:

Ancient Defender: +25 AAD, +25 NR, +300 max health, +50 first aid
    Infused Ancient Defender: +50 AAD, +30 NR, +500 max health, +60 first aid
    Ancient Vision Preservation Unit: +25 AAD, +50% blind resist
    Infused Ancient Vision Preservation Unit: +50 AAD, +60% blind resist

For these there aren't really any "equivalent" alternatives as with the research HUDs, the closest I can think of are the likes of the Ancient Combat Tuners and the Ancient Manual Aiming Aids - which only really benefit ranged users and don't really offer anywhere near as much of a boost to a character's offence as the items above do to defence.

I think the +damage modifiers on the offence research HUDs should be moved to the combat research HUDs and the AAO modifier on the offence research HUDs should be increased (+150 AAO for L3) to make them about the same in effect to the defence HUDs. Also the combat tuners etc. should be boosted to give more AAO/weapon & specials skills (they should be useful for melee users too) and perhaps new offence boosting items (DB infused combat tuners/aiming aids?) should be added.
    Oppopji 220/30/70 Adventurer
    Ramillis 220/23/55 Doctor
    Onaelmel 217/13/37 Nano-Technician
    The Red Brotherhood

How it's easy to say what you want with just small bit of whole picture. While it may be true with picking just HUDs, it's completely opposite in other areas. You can pick research as example.
    i R not spik engrish

But personal research is all profession locked - the research devices, ancient defenders/vision preservation units etc. are not (well, except the aiming aids - but I was struggling to find comparable items to the defenders/VPUs).
    Oppopji 220/30/70 Adventurer
    Ramillis 220/23/55 Doctor
    Onaelmel 217/13/37 Nano-Technician
    The Red Brotherhood

Can you find counter item for vision enhancer HUD?
    i R not spik engrish

More offence would be disastrous.

More defence would also be pretty terrible.

Stop trying to destroy the game!
    214/20 Adv - Entventurer
    217+ Engi - Entity206
    220/20 Doc - Entagain
    220 Shade - Reali
    Orgless & Stripped.
    Awesome tradeskillers.

Quote Originally Posted by Entventurer View Post
    More offence would be disastrous.

More defence would also be pretty terrible.

Stop trying to destroy the game!
    Wonder why noone told the devs that before they improved advs that already where on top into stupidity.
    Andvord, 220 Adv (retired)
    Knekt, 220/30/70 Keep (retired)
    Haavarst, 220/23 Crat
    Delifix 217 Fix
    Delivio 215 Shade
    Dilek 174 Doc
    Delisol 165 Sol
    Clown 126 Trader TL4 twink project
    Hannibal 22 Enf

Quote Originally Posted by haavarst View Post
    Wonder why noone told the devs that before they improved advs that already where on top into stupidity.
    Good thing that advs got worse after LE. (Until the pistol patch).
    214/20 Adv - Entventurer
    217+ Engi - Entity206
    220/20 Doc - Entagain
    220 Shade - Reali
    Orgless & Stripped.
    Awesome tradeskillers.

Dum de dum.. here I am inside BS with a good team.. crat, keeper and trader.. dum de dum. 4200 ish constant AR.

Does that mean that i get to hit fixers or advies more than once every now and then?

Heck no!

Just sayin!

Quote Originally Posted by Noobius76 View Post
    Dum de dum.. here I am inside BS with a good team.. crat, keeper and trader.. dum de dum. 4200 ish constant AR.

Does that mean that i get to hit fixers or advies more than once every now and then?

Heck no!

Just sayin!
    Strange.

I can PERK advies and hit fixers somewhat reliably on my 220 agent.

I think your doing something wrong.
    Leave "Marinegent" AScar - 220/23/65 Atrox Agent
    Wakeup "Marinesold" Screaming - 220/30/70 Nanomage Soldier
    "Moonmarin" - 220/30/80 Solitus Martial Artist
    "Marinekeep" - 215/18/4x Atrox Keeper
    Quote Originally Posted by CuisinartBlade View Post
    to be fair, 2.8k ar is enough to perk anyone except fixers, mas, advs, shades, nt's that blinded you, shield mps, bow mps that landed dazzle, def docs, crats, or marinesold

so all in all it's a fairly viable setup

Quote Originally Posted by Marinegent View Post
    Strange.

I can PERK advies and hit fixers somewhat reliably on my 220 agent.

I think your doing something wrong.
    Or maybe your fixers and advies just suck!

Humor aside a soldier won't hit a fixer reliably enough to actually do anything other than make the fixer laugh or freak out when an fa actually does land for some reason.

I'm not saying I should hit easily. But ur not getting much more ar than that in this game. Just saying their defenses are way better than the best off.

I'm not saying I should hit easily. But ur not getting much more ar than that in this game. Just saying their defenses are way better than the best off.
    Other profs got tools to destroy fixers. Why do most soljas think they should be able to kill everyone all the time?
    .:: Proud Member of Obsidian Order RK1 ::.

Quote Originally Posted by Chrazy View Post
    Other profs got tools to destroy fixers. Why do most soljas think they should be able to kill everyone all the time?
    Because 'tools to destroy' are better replaced by proper mechanics. Solds feel that way because they are either kings or fools. Will you feel better if you nullify a soldier attack by your own evade build then pressing 2 perks ?
    Server first !!! Neutral Solitus Male Soldier named Boltgun to wear a short with pink spots on RK1 !!!
    N E U T R A L I Z E R S

Quote Originally Posted by Chrazy View Post
    they should, every class should be able to kill other classes.. doesnt have to be a 50/50 chance, but being 100% useless vs another class is utter crap gameplay.
    Don't be lonely anymore.

Look at your post, now back at mine. Now back to your post, now back at mine. Sadly, yours isn't mine, but if you stopped trolling and started posting legitimate comments it could look like mine. Look down, back up, where are you? You're scrolling through posts, reading the posts your posts could look like. Back at mine, it's a reply saying something you want to hear. Look again, my reply is now diamonds. Anything is possible when you think before you post.

Quote Originally Posted by Kinkstaah View Post
    they should, every class should be able to kill other classes.. doesnt have to be a 50/50 chance, but being 100% useless vs another class is utter crap gameplay.
    Exactly! That's what balance means. In my world anyway.

Not easy to achieve in this tupe of game. A good start would be to remove some of the blatantly overpowered stuff that was introduced with LE.

I changed my mind about RI though. It's not overpowered as long as an agent can easily sneak up and pop out once the soldiers reflects are gone.

Exactly! That's what balance means. In my world anyway.

Not easy to achieve in this tupe of game. A good start would be to remove some of the blatantly overpowered stuff that was introduced with LE.
    A soldier with 4100 AR falls into the catagory of "can kill things and do damage". Easily. Very very easily.

I changed my mind about RI though. It's not overpowered as long as an agent can easily sneak up and pop out once the soldiers reflects are gone.
    If AMS had a visual effect that showed as long as it was up, yes, and a different effect that showed when normal reflects were up, as long as they were up, then yes.

However, when you hit AS, you dont know if soldier has reflect, AMS, or nothing at all - So no.
    Don't be lonely anymore.

Look at your post, now back at mine. Now back to your post, now back at mine. Sadly, yours isn't mine, but if you stopped trolling and started posting legitimate comments it could look like mine. Look down, back up, where are you? You're scrolling through posts, reading the posts your posts could look like. Back at mine, it's a reply saying something you want to hear. Look again, my reply is now diamonds. Anything is possible when you think before you post.

Well it's not like we choose when an agent pops out of sneak either, is it? If we've used our defense then we can't debuff.

You cant say agent has the tactical advantage of "waiting till AMS is out when in sneak" either.

Because it is impossible to know.

The chances of AMS running out, right when an Agent is about to attack you randomly, when you happen to be in the same place (remember, sneak speed is a major problem) are absolutely astonomical.

And by astronomical, it's probably in the same region as dying to an agent when a soldier is doing a full IPR.
    Don't be lonely anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by SSK View Post
    Can you find counter item for vision enhancer HUD?
    Yes, up to 6 NCUs that almost everyone uses which provide Crit reduction.

Quote Originally Posted by Questra View Post
    Yes, up to 6 NCUs that almost everyone uses which provide Crit reduction.
    Nobody uses those anymore. Don't lie.
    The Fine Arts:
    Mime | Surgery | Zen
    The Traitor

Xirayne: I couldn't care less about who is clueless or what the exact definition "real" pvp is in ao, I want "fun" pvp!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast