Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Are raid systems outdated?

Are raid systems outdated?

I feel like raid bots are getting more and more outdated.

Cameloot - most points wins whatever
    S42 - weighed system but top points usually have 40%+++ chance to win

Is there any ways to get new ideas out?

What would you suggest (or do you like the current methods)?

I think these raids are great and loot is rare. I just think whether I had 500 points or 50 I'd like to have a more averaged chance to win.

Lets say everyone in a raid has a total of 10,000 points. I have 100. XXX has 500. YYY has 700. So x5 and x7 the chance to beat me?

I got a 10% chance - minus all the other ones. So pretty much I am cut out. The current loot system is outdated and is set for old raiding.

Edit: I put this on LoR due to it only dealing with LoR and that I want people on this servers opinions. Not for game suggestion, since these are player ran bots.
    Last edited by tharss; Dec 14th, 2009 at 00:29:42.
    Ctrlaltwin. Man. Legend.

i'd like to use the fc methods ! looter=random
    and then you get the msg .. the server have chosen noobluckyplayer to loot whateverothersneedsmore
    Hitgirll 220/25/70
    Proud member of " The Renaissance "

I don't even think you get to comment on these until you've done the raids at least 200 times each.

you will soon learn why the roll systems are in place.

Number 1 reason? To make sure nabs like yourself don't stroll in on day 1 and take the invaluable item.

There are people who have been playing for 4 years who still don't have ACDC, or BoC, or an RBP. So, they save their points, and roll to win. Every raid requires many many people to be successful, as well, so, you have maybe 30-60 people all wanting the same phatz.

If you'd like a random roll, consider this: if there are 60 people bidding for 2 pieces of phatz, the chance of you winning are 3.4%. But the chance of you not winning either of the phatz are: 96.7%

Now, guess how long it would take you to have accumulated a 50% chance at winning?

100/(96.7)^n =50 n= 117 raids.

However, on that raid, when you've finally accumulated enough losses to be on the plus side of 50%, guess what? You still only have a 3.4% chance to win on that individual raid, HENCE, you could play AO for years, and have a random chance to win forever, and NEVER win.

So, that, frand, is why we do it the way you see it.

Quote Originally Posted by yougotserved View Post
    i'd like to use the fc methods ! looter=random
    and then you get the msg .. the server have chosen noobluckyplayer to loot whateverothersneedsmore
    I see no reason why not.
    Proud member of Shadow Ops
    Renowned jester of the double AS Tigress

MP setup
    Hidden message
    Quote Originally Posted by Klod View Post
    You won.
    Making them feel special since 2008.

I'm sure omnis and neuts truly care about cameloot point rules. Isn't there some clan board you could have posted this on?

Quote Originally Posted by McKnuckleSamwich View Post
    I don't even think you get to comment on these until you've done the raids at least 200 times each.

you will soon learn why the roll systems are in place.

Number 1 reason? To make sure nabs like yourself don't stroll in on day 1 and take the invaluable item.

There are people who have been playing for 4 years who still don't have ACDC, or BoC, or an RBP. So, they save their points, and roll to win. Every raid requires many many people to be successful, as well, so, you have maybe 30-60 people all wanting the same phatz.

If you'd like a random roll, consider this: if there are 60 people bidding for 2 pieces of phatz, the chance of you winning are 3.4%. But the chance of you not winning either of the phatz are: 96.7%

Now, guess how long it would take you to have accumulated a 50% chance at winning?

100/(96.7)^n =50 n= 117 raids.

However, on that raid, when you've finally accumulated enough losses to be on the plus side of 50%, guess what? You still only have a 3.4% chance to win on that individual raid, HENCE, you could play AO for years, and have a random chance to win forever, and NEVER win.

So, that, frand, is why we do it the way you see it.
    I've played WoW, that alone has me years ahead of you on raids and loot system. I even played 3 years ago with no Ipande, LE or Xan to lean on. Go over to WoW...DARE you. You'll see how raids work then you can act pro. You totally failed her bro. Just like you tried the "oh to make sure noobs liek you don't be stealin all our booty". Point system bots are outdated, and your insults are not needed (unless you don't like being taken serious)

I get it, no one should come in to raid and be guaranteed loot from the start. But I was thinking maybe only 25-40% of your points should be calculated in the roll (as the points increase, the % decreases). Lets say you have 400 points, and 25% is calculated. Then you have 100 points worth of roll and then each time you roll you calculate your 100 vs someone with say 100 at 35% which is 35.

A system like this is a decreasing value system meant to make the middle percentages come closer. So people with 400+ points aren't just easily getting loot and people with 100+ have a closer chance with my value of 100 vs 35. You are a lot closer and it makes holding onto points that much worse.

TO cover the last part, 3.4% is average. With current raid systems unless you are the middle half then are 0% likely to get loot in Cameloot, and "roughly" 3.4% likely in Sec42. The system I have would make it to where the people with 20%+++ aren't just easily snatching loot.

Edit: Better drop rates and getting rid of Sec 42 would fix this I'd like to think. Beast was close to balance before instanced, but yet again a better drop rate would have removed the need for Ipande. And LF (xxx) profession for (xxx) is a testimony to lack of raid imbalance.
    Last edited by tharss; Dec 14th, 2009 at 04:18:39.
    Ctrlaltwin. Man. Legend.

Hey there Siege,
    I referred you earlier to speak to someone in charge of the bots. I hope you did. I'd like to know what kind of discussion/outcome you got out of that as well. Maybe a PM?

On topic: Maybe it's because I don't know any better. This is after all my first MMO, and I've got but a single TL7 character. But I actually like and enjoy the way the bots are set up as it is. You attend, get points, and the more you attend, the more you can 'guarantee' that you get the loot your looking for. I don't really see a problem with the way it works. But like I said, it may be because I don't know any better.
    Fastest Contact: Northadvncd "Agptaxi" Bankterminal
    Created: 2005-08-07 The AGP Cancelled: 2012-02-11
    AGPSHADOWMA2202568[P][E] AGPSHADOOMNT2142650[P][E]
    AGPECKOSOL1502049[P] AGPATLASDOC1502023[P]
    JURKENF150207[P][P2] JWRKENF270207 JUURKMP600614[P] HANZELSOL1001028[P]

@ thars

It doesn't matter, if 25% of my points are rolled vs 25% of yours, it's still my points vs our points.

if Jef has 80
    I have 40
    and you have 32
    and bob has 160

it's still going to stack up the same:

80/4/(80/4+40/4+32/4+160/4)*100 = 80/(80+40+32+160)*100

Oh, and, having a B.Sc. with several stats courses probably helps more than a degree in WoW...

As for insulting, the only thing that is insulting is attending a raid for 3 years religiously cuz you haven't got your loot yet, and having a nab win loot on his first time on /follow while you're training the troopers for the 30ieth time how to kill boss X.

Siege sent me a offline tell friday regarding cameloot .. i saw it yesterday when i logged on.

When it comes to cameloot i think we have tried everything there is in term of loot devidance system solutions for that (flat roll, 2 types of weighted rolls, pure point system even erly on we tried the need no greed solution long before most of you played the game.)

If someone can come up with a complete system mechanic that works better then the one we use atm your more then welcome to present it and ill build it in if you realy thought thru the mechanics against how Tara as a raid works and what motivate the partisipants.

So far i think the weighted roll system we used last version worked the best to be honest. However it needed to be evolved further in some manor.

Most people that goes to Tara does so not for loot primarely .. some go for the social aspect of it .. some go because they want omni blood and a minor adrenaline rush if that is possible that is... or they wanna be part of that epic battle everyone always say happens in varius forms and times.

Myself i go there to be jack of all trades.. and i love omni-tek blood on my hands from time to time. same reasons i go do Battle stations. I dont need anything from there but occasionaly id like to walk away with something, who dont

However there is those that look at things in the term of need loot for something. And well that is also needed to be acounted for in a devidance system.

There is many aspects that need to be thought about when it comes to a devidance system. One beeing that the system need to get people to repetedly return to the raid ..especualy when the omnis show up durring the larger then what the pf can hold battles.

In the end it is all about who kills the chicken and gets to walk away with it's emm "phat loot" and the system need to support the end objective.
    Florentino"Marlark" Suitt
    Master of the Universe of The Asylum

[Genesis] Marlark: First rule of Genesis, Blame canada for anything and everything with other words blame Rotender.
    [Tsunameh]: i just bought this acct on ebay and you're only friend on the friendslist. There's no creds, could i get some plx?
    [Genesis] Marlark: **** HAPPEN WHEN YOU PARTY NAKED!!!!!!
    [Nipntuck]: what org r u in

Originally Posted by "Thetweek" : yeah well its a big thing to do marlark is like god :> so hard to go against him hehe

everyone here is missing the real enemy : Funcom

they have the real system in place, they need to bring back multi-instanced Camelot and set up an alternative way to get loot

Wouldn't it be much better to have several really difficult, technical and fun raids put in place that had a great chance of getting phat loot rather than 1 or 2 humdrum boring raids with a 0.1% chance of getting what you want that you have to repeat ad-nauseum?

Demand change,...and it will come

Quote Originally Posted by Ninj00 View Post

they have the real system in place, they need to bring back multi-instanced Camelot and set up an alternative way to get loot

Wouldn't it be much better to have several really difficult, technical and fun raids put in place that had a great chance of getting phat loot rather than 1 or 2 humdrum boring raids with a 0.1% chance of getting what you want that you have to repeat ad-nauseum?

instance camelot? that would ruin the game even more... Tara is like the only fun left in this game... BS is bwrong (boring and wrong) crappy implemented mechanics, wars heh <insert gazilions of random reason why war sucks here>, and beside that you got the big old fat juicy GRIND -_- which makes you /wrist... Games are meant to be fun...
    Fun is kinda a lost word in this game... all that it remains is grind grind grind grind and guess what? GRIND SOME MORE....

So McKnuckleSamwich better said you whant a almost = chance to win loot than anyone present @ a raid? That means that when someone has done 120 raids and you come in you whant a chance to win the phatz where the other person with 120 raids is working for. Get real no common sense person wil allow this.

We wil talk again when you have XXX raids done and some new guy wins your phatz.

Quote Originally Posted by tharss View Post
    I've played WoW, that alone has me years ahead of you on raids and loot system. I even played 3 years ago with no Ipande, LE or Xan to lean on. Go over to WoW...DARE you. You'll see how raids work then you can act pro. You totally failed her bro. Just like you tried the "oh to make sure noobs liek you don't be stealin all our booty". Point system bots are outdated, and your insults are not needed (unless you don't like being taken serious)
    {edited by Anarrina: removed inflammatory statement}
    Ok, look. I played WoW. So in your statement my point is more valid than Noobas'. I have been in the third guild of a Brit server taking Illidan down. We were farming BWL when guilds were struggling with MC. THis is not to boast, but to show you it has been a while, and we've been at it for a while, and therefore, I'm not taking this out of my bottom.

There are three ways that raid loots get rolled:

1. The pure elite way: Big guilds have "Class masters" who decide, on forums, or in game, during the raid, or more often than not, in advance, who from each class will get ALL the big items first. Read, one player of the class (Usually the class master when it comes to new raids) will see ALL the items coming from one place that are even a slight upgrade for him when it could be an awesome upgrade for others be given to him. No other player from his class will have an item dropping from the place, untill said person has it.

2. DKP: Equivalent of our actual point system. You get points for attending raids, when an item drops, you bid points during the raid. The more you come, the more you get rewarded. Systems differ a bit, some take all your points each item you win (like s42), some take the points you are willing to pay (like the old Omni Tara bot), and some are like the previous, but make you spend only what the second highest was ready to bid, if you indicate being ready to pay more (like the actual Omni Tara bot).

3: Need/Greed: The basic Blizzard roll system. People press Need or Greed, whether they can use it or not. Usually works great for 5 men instances, a bit less for 10 men instances, unless you only have one class of each prof and the drops are all class locked, and is usually a mess for 25 men raids (Not to mention old 40 men raids). Often used for PUGs (Pickup Groups) and therefore often abused ("Oh, I missclicked, sorry!" "But I need it to disenchant and level my skill!" "What? So? It sells good on the Auction Hall!" etc.). In Pickup 25 Raids, having farmed an item for 50 days doesn't stop you from seeing a guy who's just dinged 80 with full green items to win the item you didn't even have a chance to see drop.

Now you tell me, what exactly AO point bots should want from WoW system(s)? Because the system we use is actually used in most cases on WoW already. And AO has been at it way before WoW. The first system is totally unfair, and makes a single person decide who has the right to decide on loot allocation. The second one is the actual point system we use, whether it's good or not, it remains the fairer. The third one is just the basic !loot !add X !roll system that people use and we call "Flatroll".

Here we go, you got someone who has played WoW telling you how exactly it works. And now it's my turn, I DARE you to tell me I'm wrong. You just freshly got power levelled, you haven't been 220 for longer than a month (If you already are, which I am not even sure) and you want to go on and launch yet another Bot hate revolution. Tell you what, people have tried that for ages, way before your so called WoW was launched. Some people boycot the point systems, for different reasons, but those that do it because they think it's unfair (which makes no sense) usually are the newbies that see people who spent dozens and dozens of hours win items all the time. Guess what, IT MAKES SENSE! The other half of bot haters are the one who just don't like the point bots, for several reasons, but most of them will agree that the system is fair and couldn't come up with a better one. They don't use it, but don't flame it.

I hope you will see this as point of view, and not a personal attack, as it is not. I wasn't defending Noobas, as you could guess by the "fights" we had on MA forums. Iwas just giving you what you asked for. The opinion from an experienced Bot user that has actually seen how it works in other game.
    Last edited by Anarrina; Dec 14th, 2009 at 21:29:23.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brucelee2003 View Post
    If someone thinks he can win by dirty tricks - he totally wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrys View Post
    Damn nazis
    Edit: No Annarina we're not talking about you this time...

Quote Originally Posted by Ninj00 View Post

Dont think instanced PF is a solution to everything .. Dont have to make AO more borring.
    Florentino"Marlark" Suitt
    Master of the Universe of The Asylum

[Genesis] Marlark: First rule of Genesis, Blame canada for anything and everything with other words blame Rotender.
    [Tsunameh]: i just bought this acct on ebay and you're only friend on the friendslist. There's no creds, could i get some plx?
    [Genesis] Marlark: **** HAPPEN WHEN YOU PARTY NAKED!!!!!!
    [Nipntuck]: what org r u in

Originally Posted by "Thetweek" : yeah well its a big thing to do marlark is like god :> so hard to go against him hehe

ya. I already see people asking for de-instanced pande.

and I agree with someone earlier posters, tara is probably the best bang for buck fun in AO atm.

Pand could've been fixed with increased droprates and such but what I hated about zerg pande is:

If you slipped up any any way deemed inapropriate by the leader, whether in the beast raid itself or by gnaking someone of your faction (or newts going clanside for BS lol), you were basically denied the right to EVER loot anything from there again.

This placed the raidleaders in a position of great power and the ability to act like a pompous ass.

If instanced pand had a lock of say 20 days or something, it'd mean ppl wouldn't be denied the right to EVER get endgame stuff while also making normal pand viable.

Quote Originally Posted by Neccoz View Post
    {removed}
    Ok, look. I played WoW. So in your statement my point is more valid than Noobas'. I have been in the third guild of a Brit server taking Illidan down. We were farming BWL when guilds were struggling with MC. THis is not to boast, but to show you it has been a while, and we've been at it for a while, and therefore, I'm not taking this out of my bottom.

There are three ways that raid loots get rolled:

1. The pure elite way: Big guilds have "Class masters" who decide, on forums, or in game, during the raid, or more often than not, in advance, who from each class will get ALL the big items first. Read, one player of the class (Usually the class master when it comes to new raids) will see ALL the items coming from one place that are even a slight upgrade for him when it could be an awesome upgrade for others be given to him. No other player from his class will have an item dropping from the place, untill said person has it.

2. DKP: Equivalent of our actual point system. You get points for attending raids, when an item drops, you bid points during the raid. The more you come, the more you get rewarded. Systems differ a bit, some take all your points each item you win (like s42), some take the points you are willing to pay (like the old Omni Tara bot), and some are like the previous, but make you spend only what the second highest was ready to bid, if you indicate being ready to pay more (like the actual Omni Tara bot).

3: Need/Greed: The basic Blizzard roll system. People press Need or Greed, whether they can use it or not. Usually works great for 5 men instances, a bit less for 10 men instances, unless you only have one class of each prof and the drops are all class locked, and is usually a mess for 25 men raids (Not to mention old 40 men raids). Often used for PUGs (Pickup Groups) and therefore often abused ("Oh, I missclicked, sorry!" "But I need it to disenchant and level my skill!" "What? So? It sells good on the Auction Hall!" etc.). In Pickup 25 Raids, having farmed an item for 50 days doesn't stop you from seeing a guy who's just dinged 80 with full green items to win the item you didn't even have a chance to see drop.

Now you tell me, what exactly AO point bots should want from WoW system(s)? Because the system we use is actually used in most cases on WoW already. And AO has been at it way before WoW. The first system is totally unfair, and makes a single person decide who has the right to decide on loot allocation. The second one is the actual point system we use, whether it's good or not, it remains the fairer. The third one is just the basic !loot !add X !roll system that people use and we call "Flatroll".

Here we go, you got someone who has played WoW telling you how exactly it works. And now it's my turn, I DARE you to tell me I'm wrong. You just freshly got power levelled, you haven't been 220 for longer than a month (If you already are, which I am not even sure) and you want to go on and launch yet another Bot hate revolution. Tell you what, people have tried that for ages, way before your so called WoW was launched. Some people boycot the point systems, for different reasons, but those that do it because they think it's unfair (which makes no sense) usually are the newbies that see people who spent dozens and dozens of hours win items all the time. Guess what, IT MAKES SENSE! The other half of bot haters are the one who just don't like the point bots, for several reasons, but most of them will agree that the system is fair and couldn't come up with a better one. They don't use it, but don't flame it.

I hope you will see this as point of view, and not a personal attack, as it is not. I wasn't defending Noobas, as you could guess by the "fights" we had on MA forums. Iwas just giving you what you asked for. The opinion from an experienced Bot user that has actually seen how it works in other game.
    First time in my life I agree with Neccoz.
    (And yes I've played WoW for quite a while, so I can backup what Neccoz says)
    Last edited by Anarrina; Dec 14th, 2009 at 21:30:33.

Yeah what Neccoz said. Everyone thinks they can come up with a better system (typically newbies) but at the end of the day they've all been tried and tested in a bazillion different games and a bazillion different bots and a bazillion different orgs. Flat rolls are ok for Teamsize < 10 (and even here they can still cause drama). Anything more requires a point system of some sort.
    bai2u!
    -::l2pvp!1::-
    Electronite: FFA also destroyed Clan hegemony when it comes to tower wars. Ironically the downfall was started by the most active pvpers. Another ironic thing is that the downfall happened due to pvm conflict. Silirrion: (We have pretty good anti-troll filters by now though) Means: Thong-wearing troxes will always be a part of this game and a point of AO pride. Keldros: Obviously reall trolls don't use conditioner Marlark: If this forum was Swedish in it's language .. id pawn you any day. 220 NT: tl7 is a joke most of the time. 90% of the people are double double dead. some are worth debuffing tho. Mastablasta: you guys are right and I'm wrong. Ebag: No. You alpha me'd due to the stat bug. More Ebag: I don't have any twinks currently, nor do I participate much in mass TL7 PvP (though I do go occasionally, usually just to watch). Questra: an MP in sneak eNSDed me and did about 20k damage in 10-12 seconds

I think sec42 is fair, it's mostly that raid that is a horrendous grind.

It's also pretty cool that the botted raids in AO now is multifactional and the faction ones limited to pvp.

And this from you Letah. Im speechless :P

I agree with Necozz. Nice writeup why things are like they are. Im one of those who dont join the bots because I dont like farming points but thats just my lazyness and not the distribution systems fault so I dont bitch about it. What I dont like on the bots is /bans on reasons unrelated to that particular raid (outside bot raiding is not a valid reason imo).
    For every complex problem, there is a solution that is simple, neat, and wrong. - H.L. Mencken

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast