Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Don't forget the most important "balance".

Don't forget the most important "balance".

I'm probably going to ruffle someones feathers (as in "start a discussion") with this but I believe in what I'm about to say and I think it's important for FC to think about it.

You (FC) are now working on balance. More specifically, you are twisting and reshaping all professions into shapes that hopefully will seem more pleasing and reasonable than they currently do.

This is great. Make no mistake about it. It's always a good idea to keep an eye on the profession-landscape and it's good that you have the guts to do something about it when you spot various flaws.

However, this is profession vs profession balance. This specific type of balance, while important, is less important than gameplay-balance. That's my opinion at least. This thread is about promoting gameplay-balance and to suggest that it gets the attention it deserves, while you are in the process of restructuring professions.

So what is "gameplay-balance"?

Well, let's start with prof-vs-prof balance. This type of balance is centered around how each profession performs in a PvP environment (and PvM to some degree), relative to other professions. Not just how one profession handles another but also how many professions each individual profession can handle well, ok or poorly. This last point is more or less what the rock-paper-scissor system is about.

Gameplay-balance is basically how the gameplay-aspect of AO impacts the fun you are having. Let me make an example:

If all 14 professions have a perk with 1 second recharge that blinds everyone in the area for 100 seconds, then everyone will be blinded 100% of the time in PvP. Being blinded 100% of the time makes PvP very boring and frustrating. It's just not fun. So this extreme example shows that if gameplay-balance is way off, the fun-factor goes down the toilet.

Now, the reason I say gameplay-balance is more important than prof-vs-prof balance is because prof-vs-prof balance does strictly speaking not HAVE to be perfect. There are various games where some classes perform well in PvP while others hardly perform at all. In some of these games, this imbalance is not such a big issue because every class has their own fun-factor and while one class is crap in PvP, it's still fun to play for other reasons. People that play such a game can make characters of classes that does well in PvP-combat and make other classes for other things. In AO, the general consensus seems to be that every profession should be equally valuable in PvP. While this perhaps makes the profession-landscape in AO a bit bland, as everyone no matter what their profession is, will be suited for war, it's still a design-philosophy that I don't mind at all. If it's done right, it has great potential for providing fun for every class in the area of PvP. It's very hard to do right but if you CAN do it, then .. why not.

I don't think we should forget why we play this game and ultimately why you (FC) are working on prof-vs-prof balance atm. It's all for the sake of having fun and maximizing the fun-factor. While prof-vs-prof balance is important for PvP'ers to have fun in a game like AO, I honestly don't think finetuning prof-vs-prof balance will provide MORE fun or a higher fun-factor than fine tuning gameplay-balance would.

This does not mean that I think you should focus less on prof-vs-prof balance. I just think you should focus more on gameplay balance because there's a lot of fun-factor to be gained in that area and I do feel it's bing overlooked a bit atm.

So what specifically am I thinking of when referring to neglected gameplay-balance? Well, think of everything/anything that you find annoying and frustrating in PvP. That's basically what I'm referring to. Blind rings, blind perks, aoe blinds, single blinds, snares, snare-perks, stuns, chainstuns, stunperks, roots, root-grafts, fears, aoe-fears, debuffs and so on and so on.

Blinds, roots, stuns, fears, debuffs, snares and so on are all nice and provide fun tactical situations in PvP but my point is, they are not balanced with the gameplay very well. There are too much of them. They last to long. They are too hard to get rid of.

My point is, it's all well and good balancing professions against each other but I do AO PvP to have FUN and prof-vs-prof balance is not the issue that detracts the most amount of fun from me. What attracts the most amount of fun from me is the utterly relentless spam of nanos/perks/abilities that quite simply is (currently) designed specifically to annoy/frustrate me.

Blinds, roots, stuns, debuffs and such would be very interesting and provide fun tactical situations in PvP if they were in fact part of a tactic. Right now they are so common and accessible that they are part of every single encounter, every single time, always.

While you are balancing professions, I want you to balance these things so that the gameplay isn't completely swamped by them. Remove blind rings. Make anti-root/snare stims way more powerful. Up the recharge/nanocost on these things by... a lot. Reduce the duration on a lot of these abilities by.. a lot. Then while you are balancing professions, balance them up towards this new and less annoyance-saturated PVP landscape. Let people fight MOST of the time WITHOUT being blinded, snared, rooted and debuffed. I want these abilities to be something that you use when you need to. Right now everyone uses them all the time because.. why not.. the recharge isn't long and they are very effective so it would be silly not to. There's no choice or strategy in that. Just spam. It's only annoying and it provides nothing interesting to the battlefield. I also don't want every profession to have access to most of these things. I want just very few of these abilities available for each profession, given to the professions that they "belong" to.

To put it another way, all these abilities that everyone has such an easy and effective access to, is far more damaging to my funfactor in PvP than weapon-specials ever was and you are working on balancing specials now. So why not get more bang for your buck by focusing on these abilities as well while you are at it?
    Last edited by Wrangeline; Dec 24th, 2009 at 23:37:21.
    Veteran of Equilibrium

agreed.

one thing is missing from all this balancing talk... is a clear message from the dev's as to the aim of the balancing.

what is the end goal for all this balancing ?

we need to be able to discuss the end goal as well as how well the proposed changes will bring about that end goal.

/agreed

the fact roots blinds snares etc are all over the place in pvp. is one of the main reasons i dont enjoy pvp on my keeper.
    along with being so entirely perk reliant. i
    Noorb: 220 Keeper
    Retention: 217 shade
    Hawtpants: 210 trader
    Osker: 210 MA(may re roll)

You usually make sense Wrangle, I'm surprised.

So, the only "fair" tools are heals and firepower, rest are just fancy stuff way too efficient for fancy stuff and should be nerfed so that advies can roam free and happy? Are you serious?
    Tribute to Aratink : Racatti and Artyomis will be pale shadows of you as long as they don't have the infamous Clanslator in their sig.
    Noim, Neutral TL7 NT
    Sethis, Neutral TL7 Keeper
    Anthraxal, Omni TL5 Enfotrox

Quote Originally Posted by Shrubberyman View Post
    You usually make sense Wrangle, I'm surprised.

So, the only "fair" tools are heals and firepower, rest are just fancy stuff way too efficient for fancy stuff and should be nerfed so that advies can roam free and happy? Are you serious?
    Both heals and firepower is getting nerfed a bit atm (or so they say). Beyond that though, I made sure to mention that professions should be balanced around this new and less annoyance-swamped PvP landscape, so that no professions end up sub-par or OP'd after all these things have been toned down a bit.

The goal, as I said, is to end up with a type of PvP where we use roots, snares, blinds, debuffs and such when we need to, rather than all the time. I want tactics and timing rather than mindless spamming. If this means we have to (for example) tone down advs resistances/defense for balance sake, then that's what we have to do.
    Last edited by Wrangeline; Dec 26th, 2009 at 13:05:58.
    Veteran of Equilibrium

Wait a minute, did roots and blinds and snares get fixed so they're all over the place, used by everyone and never get resisted?

Did I miss a patch?
    Member of Spartans
    Hacre/Solitus/Keeper/220/29/70 - Ninpopotamus/Solitus/NT/220/30/70 - Charmming/Opifex/Crat/220/30/70
    Quote Originally Posted by randomalpha View Post
    in the end soldier is not Op or even near from that never was never will be just for the record only keepers are the ones before soldiers on the nerfest list
    Genius at work.

oh cmon you have to admit that spamming FRee Movements & those things from ToTW is just plain annoying as well as roots lasting 20 minutes!!!!

I have ql 275 FM stims & 301 required things from ToTW & it pisses me off when I have the utilities to get out of snares & roots but they dont work well.

Never mind the gimpy keeper aura.
    Nuf Said
    /facepalm
    If it's not broken your not trying hard enough.

Grind42 General of Athens Paladins

Quote Originally Posted by Grind42 View Post
    oh cmon you have to admit that spamming FRee Movements & those things from ToTW is just plain annoying as well as roots lasting 20 minutes!!!!

I have ql 275 FM stims & 301 required things from ToTW & it pisses me off when I have the utilities to get out of snares & roots but they dont work well.

Never mind the gimpy keeper aura.
    Nuf Said
    /facepalm
    I can't tell if you're joking or not, since roots don't last 20 minutes and break easily.

Roots don't have to be a huge problem for a Keeper either and no I'm not talking about SD perks. I didn't stop PvPing with mine because of roots, but a largely impotent offence.
    Member of Spartans
    Hacre/Solitus/Keeper/220/29/70 - Ninpopotamus/Solitus/NT/220/30/70 - Charmming/Opifex/Crat/220/30/70
    in the end soldier is not Op or even near from that never was never will be just for the record only keepers are the ones before soldiers on the nerfest list
    Genius at work.

I tend to think that all that stuff is what stops ao from being a vulgar brawl.

I also feel that grafts and ring do a good job at providing some cc tools to all professions... which is fair.

Mind you, I like the way the op thinks here... it's the conclusion that I don't like too much.

I do think balance is important though, for the pvm and pvp players. All tls can't be balanced for all professions... and nobody should care if engs aren't good at tl3 pvp or whatever.
    All should be balanced for tl7 though and all should, all along their life, be able, with work, to be a good addition to teams, most of the time. If you suck for a couple levels, well level those quickly and move on... but everybody is entitled to know they are going somewhere, and not just leveling a sucky profession that only friends want in teams and that will suck at pvp. I think fc is aiming that way. Maybe they'll look at tl5 pvp after that, because lots of players enjoy that range too.
    But for the other tls... all fc has to ensure is that at least 4 professions do well in pvp (for some diversity). I do not care if a profession sucks for 1 tl... never have, never will. What I didn't like on my nt was that it sucked at every tl for pvm and pvp... untill the blessing came .
    Last edited by Anarrina; Dec 27th, 2009 at 04:25:17. Reason: removed obscenity
    There are no problem that an absence of solution could'nt solve

Wielder of the "IWin" button.

I agree that Fun-Factor should be very important. It's not easy to define 'fun' though. Personally I don't have to much problems with roots, fears and blinds, but drains, ubt and TMS do irritate me a lot.

Using roots a lot I can tell people never stay rooted for a long time. If you do damage they have a big chance to break and lots of professions have ways to remove roots or counter them or resist them. Only on soldiers a root may last a while since they don't have good ways to remove them and I often root them when they pop TMS, then I run :P. Roots also work well against some MA's, keepers and shades, but in those cases I'd be death if I couldn't root them and the roots break often and get countered all the time if they are decent.

Blinds... the main reason to cast them is confusion, so yeah I bet they are irritating. You get used to it though and learn to look to the things that matter.

I never seem to get feared actually and when I do it doesn't bother me.

The thing is, the beauty of AO is the complexity and all the different kinds of things you can do that actually matter. I don't see how nerfing this kind of stuff increases the tactical game-play. Though having them restricted to the professions they belong to seems to make sense.
    Edta 200 NT, froob , Setup, General of NEPA, Raid Leader of TLfiveplus (Froob Raids)
    Neutral For Life, AO For Ever!
    Please, let Clan and Omni return to Neutral Clan/Omni Resignation forms!

Yes, whether or not people agree with this subject depends on various things; such as what professions they play in PvP, what their mental image of a perfect set up PvP experience/landscape would be and so on.

Because of the way I experience PvP on all my characters and because of the way I imagine the perfect PvP landscape (game mechanics/gameplay) to be, I end up feeling that there's just way to much of everything when it comes to enemy-nerfing/annoying abilities in AO. I don't know of any other MMO that is so saturated with these things.

So because this topic is veeeery subjective, I suspected that I would "ruffle some feathers" with it.

It all boils down to simply being my opinion and not some ultimate truth
    All I can hope for with this feedback is for FC to somehow agree with my point of view and act accordingly. If they don't, then at least I know I told them how I felt about it and I can't fault myself for keeping quiet

I am interested in all opinions on this subject though. If you don't agree with the main topic then please speak up because I'm curious to see how other people view the game and this "issue".
    Last edited by Wrangeline; Dec 26th, 2009 at 15:37:45.
    Veteran of Equilibrium

Quote Originally Posted by Hacre View Post
    I can't tell if you're joking or not, since roots don't last 20 minutes and break easily.
    Fixer snare is long duration, were you have to spam FM stims 4 times to get free & by that time you probably dead. Im sure with the range on melee weapons being fixed it will help.
    In Mass PVP even with an NR setup your still being rooted & snared with long durations & annoying removals.

I kind of agree with Wrangeline, but have no idea about a better option available.
    atm it is tolerable but could be improved I am sure.

I dont have an issue with blinds or grafts its the duration on the debuffs, snares & roots that I think could be looked into aswell as sufficient countermeasures.

Tbh if it wasnt for grafts with the current melee ranges all would be lost. I rely heavily on grafts & my hhab proc.

I have faith in FC however & am positive about the future.
    If it's not broken your not trying hard enough.

Grind42 General of Athens Paladins

Quote Originally Posted by Grind42 View Post
    Fixer snare is long duration, were you have to spam FM stims 4 times to get free & by that time you probably dead. Im sure with the range on melee weapons being fixed it will help.
    In Mass PVP even with an NR setup your still being rooted & snared with long durations & annoying removals.

I kind of agree with Wrangeline, but have no idea about a better option available.
    atm it is tolerable but could be improved I am sure.

I dont have an issue with blinds or grafts its the duration on the debuffs, snares & roots that I think could be looked into aswell as sufficient countermeasures.

Tbh if it wasnt for grafts with the current melee ranges all would be lost. I rely heavily on grafts & my hhab proc.

I have faith in FC however & am positive about the future.
    Snare duration is a bit ridiculous. Root duration would only be ridiculous if they did last that long, often. They don't. They either break or are instantly removable, or just don't land in the first place due to resistances.
    Member of Spartans
    Genius at work.

Quote Originally Posted by Wrangeline View Post
    Yes, whether or not people agree with this subject depends on various things; such as what professions they play in PvP, what their mental image of a perfect set up PvP experience/landscape would be and so on.

Because of the way I experience PvP on all my characters and because of the way I imagine the perfect PvP landscape (game mechanics/gameplay) to be, I end up feeling that there's just way to much of everything when it comes to enemy-nerfing/annoying abilities in AO. I don't know of any other MMO that is so saturated with these things.

So because this topic is veeeery subjective, I suspected that I would "ruffle some feathers" with it.

It all boils down to simply being my opinion and not some ultimate truth
    All I can hope for with this feedback is for FC to somehow agree with my point of view and act accordingly. If they don't, then at least I know I told them how I felt about it and I can't fault myself for keeping quiet

I am interested in all opinions on this subject though. If you don't agree with the main topic then please speak up because I'm curious to see how other people view the game and this "issue".
    Well... I for one agree with you on your viewpoints...
    It's not so much the mechanics that are annoying, it's more the amount of them... and the amount of time you spend being annoyed/disabled by them.

I spend more time on BS being drained/NSD'ed/rooted/snared/heal debuffed/nano drained/UBT'ed.... well, more or less disabled.... then fighting/healing at times...
    Not all the time ofc, but often enough to remove the fun factor most of the time.
    Mekhdoc 220/27/70 Equip | Mekh 220/28/67 Equip | Shadesch 220/21/70 Equip
    Mekhkeeper 220/22/70 Equip | Roflmao 220/15/50 | Fixyaself 200/23/64 Equip

surprisingly you forgot GTH in your list of annoyances!

CCs should be something you use tactically, not that you can spam, there should be cooldowns on all of them, or much more ways to remove them. But that would need a change of game mechanics, because the current system putting cooldown nanos in your NCU feels really odd, especially when all thoses got the same icon.

Special thoughts to the docs who can't kill anything, but will spam UBT on you until it lands then keep you in combat as long as they can even if they're at the other end of the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Ll4m4 View Post
    ...snip...
    Simple... If there's an opposing trader on BS I don't go there... so GTH rarely effects me these days.

and... GTH has been discussed to no end, and anyone in their right mind know/acknowledge it's lame/stupid to no end, so I see little reason to keep going on about it.
    Last edited by Mekh; Dec 29th, 2009 at 12:13:43.
    Mekhdoc 220/27/70 Equip | Mekh 220/28/67 Equip | Shadesch 220/21/70 Equip
    Mekhkeeper 220/22/70 Equip | Roflmao 220/15/50 | Fixyaself 200/23/64 Equip

Quote Originally Posted by Ll4m4 View Post
    It falls under the category of "debuffs"
    Veteran of Equilibrium

Quote Originally Posted by Wrangeline View Post
    It falls under the category of "debuffs"
    - 1k nr is a big, consequential debuf... barely any defenses and offenses left for a while, followed by a long process of refilling... is a neutering.

Since gth positive effect gives a nano hot, it would be some kind of a neutering-buff nano ^^.
    There are no problem that an absence of solution could'nt solve

Wielder of the "IWin" button.

BS is fun as a healing doc. (no really it is)

Except for this crap:

A NT follow me around spamming blinds over and over. He can't kill me so he decides the best thing to do is to just annoy me. I follow some clanner up the spiral in middle to heal him while he fights some enf. The enf and clanner jump down and the NT now roots me instead.

So now I stand there spamming free movement stims while the NT just spams root on me. I stood there getting rooted for 5 whole minutes until someone came to chase that idiot away.

Then I run down and move to the B-exit area and some other NT roots me and some other clanner and then just keeps us both rooted for another 5 minutes as we stand there spamming anti root stims. An agent I was teamed with comes to help and he gets rooted as well. The NT hides behind a corner in between roots. Eventually we manage to get free enough to kill that NT. The NT don't cast any nukes at all. Just blinds and roots.

As a strategy, I guess it works as the NT's don't seem willing to do anything else and as such keeping us clanners rooted the whole game is a good way to keep us from helping the rest. However, is this fun? Is this balanced gameplay? It's just mindless borderline harassment. The only thing lacking is for them to shout "lololol and you pay money to "play" this game lolol"

If one side wants to win BS all they really have to do is to gather all the rooters and run into the enemies area, root everyone and then zone out. Wait a few sec and heal up if needed, then zone back and refresh roots. Just keep everyone rooted. I've actually seen this happen. Crats and fixers spamming aoe roots and snares just as the BS started and then just keep refreshing them. NT doing aoe blinds just to top it all off
    Last edited by Wrangeline; Dec 30th, 2009 at 19:09:48.
    Veteran of Equilibrium

Sounds like a familiar NT to my doc.

Luckily I have access to Tacky Hack but it's stil bloody annoying. It's one more occasion I'll just stop doing BS because there's no fun to have there.

@topic
    Debuffs have their place. My main beef with them is many have way to long durations, being unremoveable, or just too Op.

My ubt shouldn't last 3 minutes on some MP' pet unless he uses his 5 minute ring just cause it does in pvm.
    My fixers snares shouldn't last 20 minutes just because they do in pvm.
    Red tapes shouldn't last 5 Minutes and be unremoveable just because of pvm.
    Dominates shouldn't last 6 minutes and be unremoveable.
    ..and so forth.

On he other hand advies should not be unrootable 90% of the time.
    Profs not being near immune to other debuffs.
    NSD shouldn't be rendered useless.

So, make debuffs less spamable. Increasng he recharge time however would be a blow against all nanocasters that are in recharge allready. Instead give debuffs a lockout time similar to improved complete healing. Fast recharge to recast nanos, but a long time until it can be used again. At he same time make them easier to land and remove whole lot of resistance items/perks/nanos.

There. Balance. And also more tacical (and reliable use) of debuffs instead of mindless spamming and hope for the best.
    Deadly Whisper - RK1
    too many alts for to little space

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast