Thread: I'm tired of reused Inventory Graphics..

I have to say I like the colour scheme and the improved feel of the graphics of the new one, but Currently as it stands I'd prefer to stick with the old one for a number of reasons:

1. I prefer the Rounded Buttons, Tabs, Check-boxes etc. of the old one, the new one the buttons all look too square.
    2. The Hotbar and NCU window, in the old one I like how they had designated spots, the new version they seem to be just hanging in space instead of set in a designated location.
    3. I do like the background effect on the Trade-skill window and the trade window, but I don't much like it behind actual text like in the Info window and the NPC conversation window.
    4. Finally the tabs, I like how in the old version they didn't quite meet the top of he window and how there was no break between the tab and the information the tab was connected too, in the new one the tabs are a completely different colour and don't match their windows
    5. I do prefer the new Scroll bars

I know I'm probably being very picky and I'm sorry if the post seems rather negative, but you normally appreciate honest feedback.

P.S. Can we see some of your new Icons in your new GUI Version as well for comparison?
    Ebondevil - Omni Level 220 Agent on Atlantean, Feel free to contact me any time if you have questions, in game or out.
    Varinox - Omni Level 220 Meta-Physicist on Atlantean
    Yamarra - Omni Level 150 Shade on Atlantean

Feel free to send me any tell in game or a Private Message if you require anything.

i like the new gui, except the inventory. I think a gradient emerging from the center would look better for each slot (like in the old gui)

Quote Originally Posted by Zilch View Post
    Yeah, I especially like how the second hand of the two-handed grip is holding nothing but air.
    We are in best company...

The epic use of Syndicate Messanger Gun in Hollywood...
    Level 200 Nanomage Nano-Technician on Rimor speaking... - Unit Commander of Knights of Ka
    Toons:(*=froobs)
    Zzzzzzwap* (inofficial main),
    Krisplin* (main, but buff whore),
    Theophrastus* (piercing doc - aka froob shade)
    Kosminski (Shade - Yes, i went paid...)
    Codeleet (s10 & pvp)
    ~ Founder of TL5+ - Rimor TL5+ froob raid force ~ || ~ My Tweet... ~

Nice work on the GUI Doc.

Couple things though:

1. I think the gradient dark/light on the stats bar is a bit to dark. It just looks odd to me that's all.

2. The mouse pointer, while nice that it's the AO logo, is a bit to bulky for my taste.
    Enter the Information Age
    Proc Descriptions

Hunt, and be hunted: The Hunting Grounds | Alien Tower Field :Aliens, that really invade!
    Pet argo management: Servants Protection | Expand the Notum Silo :Make it worthwhile

Rimor
    Tesgri - 220|17|58 (Omni Agent)
    Leara - 220|25|62 (Omni Doctor)
    Ponygirl - 220|25|56 (Omni Bureaucrat)
    Means: "We have done way dumber things than this..."

New GUI looks nice Doc.
    But I also agree with Ebondevil about the NCU/hotbar icons kind of floating in the windows, and the tabs not being the same color as the selected window.
    Another thing that I personally think is lacking, is the transparency in the windows.
    Also the use of square buttons is a good thing to me, makes the game look more modern.
    Last edited by arctictiger; Oct 12th, 2010 at 11:27:40.

It looks good, needs some tweaks as above mentioned but fine.

BUT, could you please remake/redo those fugly wings ( I know you can turn them off, but even those icons on em are so annoying ).. Actually I love the dovvetech style menu's - compact, nice, does not take too much view space.

Cheers.

One question....

When can I try it out on my PC

Quote Originally Posted by arctictiger View Post
    New GUI looks nice Doc.
    But I also agree with Ebondevil about the NCU/hotbar icons kind of floating in the windows, and the tabs not being the same color as the selected window.
    Another thing that I personally think is lacking, is the transparency in the windows.
    Also the use of square buttons is a good thing to me, makes the game look more modern.
    Just so you know the 'transparency' is handled in-game through code, none of the GUI bitmaps are transparent, (except to have that 100% green=transparent on some parts).

So, when I make these mock-ups, I'm making them non-transparent. I might make a sample of what they would look like semi-transparent, but I have no way of knowing if it will look the same in-game.

Cheers.

P.S. I've given the buttons a rounded corner and made the backgrounds in the info and npc chat window solid color with rounded frame, like in the main chat window. It looks much better, Oh and I changed the gradient to circular for the inv/trade/wear windows etc. I'll fool around with the tabs next, but imho, the old style where the 'selected tab' is dark and the background one is light seems more odd than the new style.

Oh, and I'm not 'redesigning' the GUI, just re-skinning it. I'm no xml programmer, I'm not going to fool around with those files. So throwing suggestions at me to change the layout and design will fall on deaf ears. Sorry, but I do what I can, not what i can't.

Cheers!
    --Being Neutral IS a choice, not a failure to make one!--
    Main Character - Doctorval (Advisor of Harmony Rk2)

Love the look of the new GUI.. 2 things tho from a practical point of view.
    1. Can you adjust hp/nano bars to show blocks of 10% or 25%.. so its easier to see how much hp/nano you have left?
    2. Can you do the same to the AGG/DEF bar? so you can set it precisely where you want it?
    Harios - [Enforcer] cookies 220/30
    Advass - [Adventurer] nerf 220/21
    Wackios - [Shade] gankzsz 220/16
    Soldios - [Soldier] FA Burst 220/22
    Docios - [Doctor] healsplxz 220/20
    Cratios - [Bureaucrat] tape 220/19
    Proud Board Member of Dark Front Cookies >> Bacon, remember that!

this GUI proposal looks very cooler & clearer ! buttons are nice, border and bars also. that makes it overall look more "adult", less flashy somehow.

the only elements i don't like that much are the rounded squares for inventory/trade/tradeskill background of items. you could try some different styles to see if that could be improved, imo.
    Bitnykk/Bittorrent - young RL of AP & old emissary of CODE

Did you take into account that AO adds a greenish overlay to all graphical elements of the GUI?
    Thor Mastablasta Hammersmith - Level 220, AI 30, LE 70 Clan Atrox Nano Technician - Setup
    The Red Brotherhood

I'm a Nano-Technician, don't ever expect me to fight unbuffed, alone or fair.

Means: about f'ing time :P
    Satenia: heresy <3
    Znore: Mastablasta <3
    Kinkstaah: I have agro from many mobs ;(
    Madarab: we are aoe class, we are supose to use pistols
    Marxgorm: the NT toolset does not fit into my raiding tactics

Here is an update..

http://fi1.mirror.jolt.fi/Docaholic/GUI_Mockup3.png

-rounded the corners of the buttons and check boxes..
    -changed the info and npc chat windows to more match the standard chat window.
    -modified the inventory/trade skill/shop boxes, made them look deeper and also gave 'full slots' a back glow. empty slots are faded. I think this might need a bit of coding, but would be a nice feature.
    -added the separators to the quick bar, and frames on the ncu window.
    -added notches to the xp/nano/health bars so you can have a better idea of current amount.

**After trying different 'tab' designs I'm gonna stick with this current one, it looks best, and I believe 'active tabs' should be brighter, the old way was in reverse.

I think this update 'fixes' any issues that you people have voiced. Keep the feedback coming. I'll work on the wings next..

Cheers!

P.S. I'm not aware of any 'green overlay' on the GUI items.. but if there is one it will just make this 'blue-ish GUI a bit more teal color.

I like this version a lot. Although, I am not a fan of the AO mouse pointer, as someone else stated. Also, I have always wondered why there are no tick marks on the Agg/Def bar at say every 25% or something like that? It may be on purpose, but it would seem to be a nice feature to me anyway. Would that be hard to add unless there is some reason for it to not be there?

I'll make a new mouse pointer, no worries there, and when I do the agg/def bar I'll add ticks so it's easier to set it at the level you desire. I'll see about the gradient on the stats window, everything is temp, until it gets approved.

Cheers!

Jolt Cola, eh? Gui looks nice!
    Eroz, finally 220/26/70 Adventurer & proud General of Regulators on ex-RK2 (outdated) equip
    Rokroland, 170 Engineer No more crab for j00 Northern Front on ex-RK2
    Ranged roxxorz!
    Sig last updated properly when West Athens still had people sitting about the subway.
    Quote Originally Posted by Siahanor View Post
    Complaining about the realism of height changing mechanics in a game that has people who can channel their anger to make huge killer meatballs.

Thumbs up

Definately like the looks of new one....
    But I like the square buttons more, and the item "containers" in the inventory and shopping window etc look a bit too 3D compared to the icons... (Don't know how anybody else feels about that, I'm a total graphics nub )

Maybe an idea for 2 versions?

Anyways, keep up the good work Doc, you're doing great!

BTW Doc, I should have said that the graphics that you have done so far are awesome! I noticed that they had changed a few months ago, but just figured FC was introducing new icons in preparation for the new engine. Anyway, when I found this thread, I was so amazed! It is astounding to know that FC cares enough about the game to take your/our input about graphics into consideration. Great Job and keep 'em coming!

newer GUI looks great ; lighter active tabs, info window, graduated life/nano/xp bars.

only thing that hurts my eyes is lighting inventory/tradeskill/trade windows slots when containing an item. the empty slots look better now (compared to your first proposal), why not let them like they are even while containing an item ?
    Bitnykk/Bittorrent - young RL of AP & old emissary of CODE

Quote Originally Posted by bitnykk View Post
    newer GUI looks great ; lighter active tabs, info window, graduated life/nano/xp bars.

only thing that hurts my eyes is lighting inventory/tradeskill/trade windows slots when containing an item. the empty slots look better now (compared to your first proposal), why not let them like they are even while containing an item ?
    That is probably what will happen, having the slot light up when an item is in it would require coding from the programmers. It's just me slipping in what I thought would be a nifty idea, and help the inventory feel more dynamic.

Cheers!

The new concept looks good but a few things to keep in mind are a lot of things share images. For instance if I remember correctly the background for the info window and the inventory window pull from the same image so if you are just doing a reskin that is something to keep in mind. Another thing to watch out for is that the blue overlay that happens with the GUI only applies to certain images for some reason. What really makes things tricky is the fact that some of the things that share images are effected by this.

It may be worth actually skinning the GUI or at least talking with some of the folks who have about what things are possible and what aren't before you get to far involved and your hopes and dreams shattered when you find out you may not be able to do what you are wanting to do.
    Malcom Ciafardoni
    Circle-G Inc. - The Past. The Present. Your Future.

I'm not a gimp, I'm a trade skill Trader.

Page 56 of 67 FirstFirst ... 637383940414243444546474849505152535455565758596061626364656667 LastLast