Thread: I'm tired of reused Inventory Graphics..

Quote Originally Posted by Berim View Post
    Looking over shoulder? Nitpicking?

And here I was thinking this was mainly a feedback thread
    Indeed, and he is getting paid for it now so I'm sure we're allowed to be critical

As long as it's constructive.
    Manicmouse AR SMGs - 220/30 Clan Solitus Soldier - General of New Order
    Lawmaker Pistols - 220/30 Clan Atrox Bureaucrat | Sellyoursoul Shotgun - 220/30 Clan Nanomage Trader
    Adiee Pistols - 220/30 Clan Solitus Doctor | Boltcutter MA - 220/30 Clan Atrox Engineer | Anorexia - 220/30 Clan Nanomage Enforcer

Lazy: the caste system of ao today is clan > omni > wildlife > neuts.

Gatester: Crats have the best toolset for supporting a team in PVE.
    Aramsunat: WRONG! The team supports the crat if the crat is unable to solo (which is rare)!

I don't think he's getting paid.
    Enter the Information Age
    Proc Descriptions

Hunt, and be hunted: The Hunting Grounds | Alien Tower Field :Aliens, that really invade!
    Pet argo management: Servants Protection | Expand the Notum Silo :Make it worthwhile

Rimor
    Tesgri - 220|17|58 (Omni Agent)
    Leara - 220|25|62 (Omni Doctor)
    Ponygirl - 220|25|56 (Omni Bureaucrat)
    Means: "We have done way dumber things than this..."

Paid or not (I believe it's closer to the latter) constructive feedback should be considered a positive thing. And I do believe it's taken as such in this case.

Being critical doesn't mean not appreciating the work.
    Berim, Lacian, Greyd, Misterburns, Techro and Hockenberry

Quote Originally Posted by Ayria View Post
    I don't think he's getting paid.
    You'll have to read back through the earlier pages, he is.
    Lawmaker Pistols - 220/30 Clan Atrox Bureaucrat | Sellyoursoul Shotgun - 220/30 Clan Nanomage Trader
    Adiee Pistols - 220/30 Clan Solitus Doctor | Boltcutter MA - 220/30 Clan Atrox Engineer | Anorexia - 220/30 Clan Nanomage Enforcer

Aramsunat: WRONG! The team supports the crat if the crat is unable to solo (which is rare)!

De'Valos Rings

Hi Doc.

How about the De'Valos Rings and hhab...?

5 rings that use the same symbol:
    -De'Valos Lava Protection Ring
    -De'Valos Protection Ring
    -De'Valos Radiation and Lava Protection Ring
    -De'Valos Radiation Protection Ring
    -Hold Hell at Bay

And appreciate your work - it's nice to see the icons ingame now.
    Proctorial 220/30/70 Crat setup
    Freedonnadd 220/30/70 MA setup
    Patentia 220/30/70 Engi setup

Raidwipe 220/30/70 Doc
    ····crat··cratcrat···········crat·····cratcratcrat
    ·crat·····crat···crat······cratcrat·······crat
    crat······cratcrat·······crat····crat·····crat
    ·crat·····crat··crat····crat·crat·crat····crat
    ····crat··crat····crat··crat······crat····crat

--------------- ··· The One Profession ··· ------------------
    Oh no! A crat sprung! It's crawling with crats! You failed disarming the crat!
    MassDestruct 200/20 NT · Goonish 60 Enfo saved on newbie island o.o

Quote Originally Posted by Manicmouse View Post
    Indeed, and he is getting paid for it now so I'm sure we're allowed to be critical

As long as it's constructive.
    I got a Free Lifetime account, Other than that I have no 'paid contract' with Funcom. This has been accepted by both parties, I'm not looking for a 9-5 job here, I only do this in my spare time. I love AO, and I'm doing what I can to help.

That said, I welcome all feedback and critique, if you read through this whole thread, I don't think I have ever told people to keep their opinions to themselves. I've been doing artwork for many years now, even at 50 years old, I can't improve my skills if I have no feedback and criticism. The whole project stemmed from my being tired of 32 rings representing several hundred in the game. I still have a bunch of unused rings that have not been assigned to rings in the game. and over the past 6 months I have had the pleasure of plugging more inventory redundancy holes and it has for the most part been well accepted by the community.

I know I can't please everyone, but that's not the goal, the goal is to remove as many of the duplicate reused icons in the game as possible. The main goal for these new icons is to make them identifiable. I think I have succeeded so far.

Ok, back to having fun, Cheers!
    --Being Neutral IS a choice, not a failure to make one!--
    Main Character - Doctorval (Advisor of Harmony Rk2)

Yes, you did achieve your goal. I cant say I like all your icons very much, but most are very nice and all are good for that goal.

This thread still deserves a good bump.

BUMP.
    Gustatus similis pullus.

well.. to me it's more important that the icons is different than I actually like them...
    But if I can get both..

Imho it's much easier to see whats in my bp's now. And I have had some happenings like "WOW, whats that... thats NOT supposed to be in that BP" because I didn't see the difference before unless I took the time to actually read the description.

Even if I don't like some icon, then I can't really hate on it because what was there before? Just something the devs put in without asking anyone if they liked it or represented what it was, or just pulled it out of the overused items database and had yet another duplicate item. Doc is expanding the number of icons in the game, making, according to personal tastes, better looking ones in some cases, not so good looking ones in others, but all of them at some point received some feedback from the community and all of them are different from eachother, making browsing ones inventory both easier, but also better on the eyes over all.

Making these things for a free life time account is dedication to a community, and dedicated communities are what brings a game from being just a game to something more. Look at old games like Doom and Quake, they still get modern ports, engine upgrades, levels, textures, models, all kinds of things. All hinging on the fact that the community around these games has been encouraged by the developers and the community given free reigns with the game's software. Of course that's not completely possible here, as we pay for a service, but given the restraints of this, the community around AO was for many years great, and has been sort of re-improved as of late. Even if the new style of the internet with everything being about "the lulz", nothing taken even slightly serious, except the suggestion you yourself posts, and then just some trolling and flaming for everyone else.

Cheers to Doc for taking this on his shoulders. It's great to see at least some of the members of the community still "live in the past" if I may so say..
    Thor Mastablasta Hammersmith - Level 220, AI 30, LE 70 Clan Atrox Nano Technician - Setup
    The Red Brotherhood

I'm a Nano-Technician, don't ever expect me to fight unbuffed, alone or fair.

Means: about f'ing time :P
    Satenia: heresy <3
    Znore: Mastablasta <3
    Kinkstaah: I have agro from many mobs ;(
    Madarab: we are aoe class, we are supose to use pistols
    Marxgorm: the NT toolset does not fit into my raiding tactics

I had an idea last night, how about Might of the reverant and the Absorb pad, I am sure you could do a better version that does look more like a pad, and not like Monsterparts. However, i like the colours of both totw and IS pads, maybe something more Padlike? Even like different icons for Motr and Barrow? Also they could look different in the way that one is made for left and one for right shoulder, Motr (left) as higher toons have the Icy pads on right shoulder?
    RK1

220/30 Soldier, 220/22 Shade, 170/24 Agent, 150/14 NT, 150/14 Adv, 150/19 Keeper, 150/20 Crat, 165/21 Fixer, 150/20 MA, 150/18 Doc, 100/10 MP, 150/11 Trader
    60/06 Enfo, 60/06 Engi, 60/06 Fixer

Wtb doc working on textures too...

Btw great job doc, the artwork is great imho

Here's my suggestion for a new icon for the level 220 trader pets (Decision by Committee)...

Not sure if any postprocessing needs to be done or if this is already good enough to send to Funcom...
    Syy

I feel that Pocket Boss patterns need an overhaul. Sorting them is a mayor issue.
    I honestly have no clue how to achieve an easier arranging, but maybe a color code on the patterns might do the trick already. Simply 4 colored lines, for each pocket boss a unique arrangement would facilitate it already. Or a letter code.
    Neophyte Nerf"Shareida"Batted First Order
    Freshman Jefferey"Bailan2"Ginsberg - Retired
    Shareidah - First Order

Quote Originally Posted by Lazy View Post
    it's written in the bible.
    Matthew 23:13 "and the trader hath casteth bulk trader at the young age of 14. and it was good. and so he hath an extra 260 comp lit and he hath equippeth better ncu's. and it was good too.
    A Producer's point of view

New suggestion

At Jobe Research, JAME scientist Scarlett Dalquist pays out XP/SK rewards for DOJA chips found in different zones in SL.

The DOJA chip itself looks good (icon: http://auno.org/res/aoicons/282143.gif), but sometimes these chips break, resulting in "Remains of a Tagging Device" or so I assume.

The icon for Remains of a Tagging Device (http://auno.org/res/aoicons/144715.gif) is also used for QL200+ Robot Junk and Alien Armor Materials, at least.

Perhaps it is an idea to make a new icon for a broken tag, that looks a more like a DOJA chip, but is clearly broken.

Raidwipe 220/30/70 Doc

I don't see anything in the DB that says they can break...

Or are you suggesting that (RP wise) we should link "Remains of a Tagging Device" to DOJA chips because DOJA is a form of tagging/tracking?
    Enter the Information Age
    Proc Descriptions

Hunt, and be hunted: The Hunting Grounds | Alien Tower Field :Aliens, that really invade!
    Pet argo management: Servants Protection | Expand the Notum Silo :Make it worthwhile

Rimor
    Tesgri - 220|17|58 (Omni Agent)
    Leara - 220|25|62 (Omni Doctor)
    Ponygirl - 220|25|56 (Omni Bureaucrat)
    Means: "We have done way dumber things than this..."

Quote Originally Posted by Ayria View Post
    I don't see anything in the DB that says they can break...

Or are you suggesting that (RP wise) we should link "Remains of a Tagging Device" to DOJA chips because DOJA is a form of tagging/tracking?
    That's the logic, yes.

Look at the dialogue with Scarlett:

Scarlett Dalquist: If you are here for a tour please go through my assistant. If you got any tags, discs or chips just hand them to me.
    Me: I have found a DOJA Chip.
    Scarlett Dalquist: Hand it to me.
    She plugs the chip into a customized data scanner.
    Scarlett Dalquist: Oh yeah. This is one of mine alright... Pandemonium... Aight, thank you for returning it!
    Me: Who are you?
    Scarlett Dalquist: I'm with the DOJA research group. It's a small branch of JAME, we're mainly focusing on field studies. Tagging and tracking, you know...
    Me: Tagging and tracking?
    Scarlett Dalquist: We tag and track creatures in Shadowlands to gain information about their behavior. If you kill a tagged creature and retrieve its chip, disc or tag, we would appreciate if you hand it over to us.
    The link between "Remains of a Tagging Device" and DOJA chips is pretty obvious, huh?
    Last edited by Proctorial; Sep 14th, 2010 at 08:59:42.

Raidwipe 220/30/70 Doc

I think the heckler ate the scientist that tried to tag it and now all there is to be found is half digested body parts and remains of a tagging device (not remains of the tag itself).

I think touching these kinds of things should require a confirmation from FC. Community's best guess shouldn't be enough.
    Berim, Lacian, Greyd, Misterburns, Techro and Hockenberry

Hecklers eat a lot of agents in Ely as well... Are those Sheets of Perennium from the Pere snipers they ate? Why don't they have remains of balaclavas as well in loot?
    Eroz, finally 220/26/70 Adventurer & proud General of Regulators on ex-RK2 (outdated) equip
    Rokroland, 170 Engineer No more crab for j00 Northern Front on ex-RK2
    Ranged roxxorz!
    Sig last updated properly when West Athens still had people sitting about the subway.
    Quote Originally Posted by Siahanor View Post
    Complaining about the realism of height changing mechanics in a game that has people who can channel their anger to make huge killer meatballs.

Point is, we still have the same icon used for tree different items.

Raidwipe 220/30/70 Doc

Quote Originally Posted by Proctorial View Post
    Point is, we still have the same icon used for tree different items.
    Bump for new icons for our trees

Pine Tree
    Christmas Tree

They look the same

Page 54 of 67 FirstFirst ... 4353637383940414243444546474849505152535455565758596061626364656667 LastLast