Thread: I'm tired of reused Inventory Graphics..

I prefer the monochromatic backpacks with color icons.

Also, I prefer the small ring. The large ring looks like an "icon gone bad" - if you know what I mean - as if the engine picked and displayed a too-large version of the icon from an icon file; or magnified it erroneously for some reason.

The small icon maintains the current AO "look and feel" better.

Fantastic work, btw!

Just wondering Doc, but the majority of you work is pretty awesome and does its job perfectly. The point of this thread was for a rework of Icons.

The new backpacks if worn would be physically worn on the player. Will you be colouring the skins of those as well as the Icons?

Edit: Latest set of images of backpacks look pretty good. The red in the Red Cross/Health backpacks seems a bit sharp for my liking, though.
    214/20 Adv - Entventurer
    217+ Engi - Entity206
    220/20 Doc - Entagain
    220 Shade - Reali
    Orgless & Stripped.
    Awesome tradeskillers.

I'm suddenly overwhelmed with work, I'm sorry to say I'm forced to put this stuff on hold for now.

Looks like Funcom's extended procrastination has caused them to miss the boat. They'll have to wait till I get done with my current contracts.

If I find some time to squeeze in, I might zip up all the work I have done and send it to them with my own disclaimer and request that 'they' sign it. maybe I'll 'licence' my icons on a yearly basis. LOL

I'm glad I got contracts out the wazoo, but really disappointed of how Funcom has 'pushed aside' something that would have taken them all of 5 min to get done.

I David E. Gervais do solemnly swear that these artworks are my own creation and I alone hold all the copyrights to them. I grant funcom the exclusive rights to use these in their game 'Anarchy Online' in exchange for in-game time as compensation. Once both parties agree upon a set amount of game time to be given in exchange for the artwork, Funcom will be free to use these icons as they see fit.

That took me all of 4 min to write. I can't for the life of me see how it would take lawyers 3 months to do the same, then again I guess they are paid by the hour. and translation to 'legalese' needs a task-force of hundreds working long hours. Poor Funcom will have to pay millions in legal fees just to get some 'free' artwork. that's the cost of being paranoid.

Sorry for the tiny vent, but I'm really disappointed.

<me shakes head in disappointment and walks off with head low and shoulders slumped>

Bye
    --Being Neutral IS a choice, not a failure to make one!--
    Main Character - Doctorval (Advisor of Harmony Rk2)

hope they write some contract and send it to you sooner than new engine release
    Bitnykk/Bittorrent - young RL of AP & old emissary of CODE

really feels like funcom shot themselves in the foot here. not very often someone has the whole community excited about something like this without their being any negative feedback. hope these get ingame, and hopefully as many people as possible will keep this thread alive by actually responding with their support, and not just checking for new info on it, and moving on.
    Have a listen to my latest musical abomination.

Fixers run while engi's Build
    Soldiers gun near crats coffee, spilled

Epic FC phail! This work was so good and had such great support. Hopefully it will not all be for naught. Either way, thanks so much for the time and effort you put into this, Doc. If FC doesn't recognize it, at least you can know that we do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunfytr View Post
    I have played my toon 280 days. You have played ur toon 36 days. My toon is better. Get over it.

Great work Doc. I hope it makes it in game at some point.

FC, this is one of those totally missing what the community is after. Do you not realise how much good will something like a graphics content only update to add these awesome icons would have meant for the community? It will always be the little things that make or break (game/marriage/etc) and here is a fine example of an outstanding member of the community doing there part to make our game better.

Ugh, I am just sickened by the slow response to something with so much postiive energy going for it.
    Lheann
    President of When I Grow Up

Lhisa - MA - RK1
    MaxKillz - Enf - RK1
    Namaru - Enf - RK1

"If you find yourself loosing a fight, your tatics suck."

Quote Originally Posted by Lheann View Post
    Great work Doc. I hope it makes it in game at some point.

FC, this is one of those totally missing what the community is after. Do you not realise how much good will something like a graphics content only update to add these awesome icons would have meant for the community? It will always be the little things that make or break (game/marriage/etc) and here is a fine example of an outstanding member of the community doing there part to make our game better.

Ugh, I am just sickened by the slow response to something with so much postiive energy going for it.
    Considering the responses from both Means and Kintaii in this thread, I'm quite sure they do realize this. Whatever is going on to slow the process down, if it is out of their hands, it is out of their hands. Berating them is not that constructive.
    Coordinator Anarrina
    Public Forums Moderation Team Lead
    Community Relations Department

Advisors of Rubi-Ka

Forum Social Guidelines // Social Events with ARK // Rubi-Ka Marriage Registry // ARK Tours // Join ARK!

A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one. -- GRRM

Who said anything about Means or Kintaii? The scoffing remarks are geared towards FC, whoever they are! Pointing out what's constructive or not is not that constructive. It's provocative. Just like this post. Expressing frustration isn't useless, it communicates the feelings of one party to another which can be invaluable information when trying to pace yourself to get stuff done or to decide how much pressure to apply and to which people. If you already know the frustration and can't do anything about it, then someone somewhere is failing hard. Still it's good to let some steam out and empathize with others - creates a sense of community. It's also good for your health. Please don't let us die, we like to live.
    Last edited by Chereee; Mar 25th, 2010 at 00:58:27.

I never berated any individuals, I berated the 'machine'. It is all apparent that the 'machine' has a life of it's own. I have seen many gaming companies that have lost 'control' due to 'corporate politics' not to mention if somehow the government is involved and payrolls are tight etc. Of course there are a multitude of things that can delay what should be a simple process. I however do not subscribe to the world of politics or Paranoia.

The other week my nephew was short of money and his mother (my sister) asked that I go make a small deposit in his bank account for her. When I got to his bank with his account number and cash to deposit, they requested 3 pieces if ID for me to be able to 'DEPOSIT' money into his account. NEVER has that happened before. I blame 9/11 for that, ever since then regular people have been put in the same light as terrorists. we are all now suspects and when we want to travel we need 'proof' of citizenship, soon I expect all passports will have DNA requirements and that you will only be allowed to cross a boarder with such info on file.

We live in a sad world and in sad times. That's a fact jack!

Another note.. One of the most effective military tactics ever in the history of our civilization is called "Delay and Demoralize" it's a strong tactic used against your ENEMY!.. What did I do that turned me into a Bad Guy, and the Enemy?

Bye v2.0

Would be a waste if these icons wouldn't make it ingame..

Good to hear you got a contract now doc
    Harios - [Enforcer] cookies 220/30
    Advass - [Adventurer] nerf 220/21
    Wackios - [Shade] gankzsz 220/16
    Soldios - [Soldier] FA Burst 220/22
    Docios - [Doctor] healsplxz 220/20
    Cratios - [Bureaucrat] tape 220/19
    Proud Board Member of Dark Front Cookies >> Bacon, remember that!

Doc, I am grateful for your initiative, the icon work was long overdue and you did something about it.

Unfortunately, you ran into the "machine" side of things; there's the fun, creative wild side, and then there's the large, bulky, bureaucracy side which is considered a necessary evil (which, honestly, the necessary part is debatable). There IS a business here, and business operates best with procedure. It's strange, especially in an industry like gaming, because you have two diametric ideas: logic and creativity. It is a challenge (from my own personal experience) to hold both ideas together, even within the same company.

You got word from Means and Kintaii. I consider that a personal win for you, regardless what the machine tells you.

Good luck in your endeavors, you have my bestest wishes.
    **Proud Squad Commander of Nightmares End**

Aeirilys - 220 Doc RK2
    Spiritofsnow - 150 Sol RK2
    Oniaikido - 98 Leveling Up MA RK2

[ Rebel for Life ]~[ Clan 'til Death ]

Quote Originally Posted by Anarrina View Post
    Considering the responses from both Means and Kintaii in this thread, I'm quite sure they do realize this. Whatever is going on to slow the process down, if it is out of their hands, it is out of their hands. Berating them is not that constructive.
    I was not calling Means or Kintaii out. Nor was I berating them. I was in fact commenting on FC as a company and what is just a long and continued story with AO. There have been many times in the past where a small detour effort (such as these graphics could be now) that would have generated a lot of good will in the community. I feel this good will effort would have gone a long way in smoothing over the rough edges of the ever later and later graphics upgrade. Give us something shiny to distract us for a while. You know we love our precioussssssssssss!

I bet the legal department is the big hold up here. Having done contract consulting I remember many times where it took me longer to go over the paper work and get all legal than it did to actually do the work I was contracting for.

Means and Kintaii have come and commented and it is a good sign. Whoever is holding this up needs beat by the nerf bat twice over and Means needs to add a new Dyna Boss QL1 in all backyards named after the holdup person so we can all go kill them over and over and over. Of course looting their corpse will be delayed upto 6 months to be consistent with there performance IRL.
    Lheann

Lhisa - MA - RK1
    MaxKillz - Enf - RK1
    Namaru - Enf - RK1

Quote Originally Posted by Lheann View Post
    Whoever is holding this up needs beat by the nerf bat twice over and Means needs to add a new Dyna Boss QL1 in all backyards named after the holdup person so we can all go kill them over and over and over. Of course looting their corpse will be delayed upto 6 months to be consistent with there performance IRL.
    Yes, bump.
    **Proud Squad Commander of Nightmares End**

Aeirilys - 220 Doc RK2
    Spiritofsnow - 150 Sol RK2
    Oniaikido - 98 Leveling Up MA RK2

[ Rebel for Life ]~[ Clan 'til Death ]

heck yeah, there would be a que line of people waiting to wail the living tar out of said person. please gief!
    Have a listen to my latest musical abomination.

Fixers run while engi's Build
    Soldiers gun near crats coffee, spilled

or just lay that freaking contract to make things legal & crap
    and just get those amazing graphics ingame FFS !
    Bitnykk/Bittorrent - young RL of AP & old emissary of CODE

UPDATE: Release form signed, things are in motion to get my stuff in-game. Happy Happy Joy Joy!

I'm a Taurus, when a man of infinite patience (like myself) is forced to wait, it's like making the china shop the new waiting room. lol

If I had a nickel for every time I had to wait for a '5 min fix' I'd be a millionaire. You'd think I would learn, but taking longer than 5 min for a 5 min fix is way too Illogical for my Tauran brain to cope with.

The future begins today, let's all make it a great future.

Cheers!

David

Quote Originally Posted by Docaholic View Post
    UPDATE: Release form signed, things are in motion to get my stuff in-game. Happy Happy Joy Joy!
    Congrats Doc! Can't wait to see the stuff in my AO client!

Awesome news, congrats!

C O N G R A T S !!!!

Best news related to AO I have heard in a long time.
    Lheann

Lhisa - MA - RK1
    MaxKillz - Enf - RK1
    Namaru - Enf - RK1

Page 36 of 67 FirstFirst ... 171819202122232425262728293031323334353637383940414243444546474849505152535455 ... LastLast