Thread: I'm tired of reused Inventory Graphics..

No offense... but wtf are you smoking? Those look like a piece of sheetmetal with magic marker drawn overtop and a printed picture slapped in the middle, not backpacks.

To be fair, I'll just say why I don't like most of your work. Everything is shiny and reflective. It doesn't look anything like an actual object.
    Last edited by BugsCoT; Feb 21st, 2010 at 21:58:18.
    -Bugs
    Test Dimension

Problems with "patch not found" error while trying to get on Testlive?
    See Technogen's "Halp, I can't patch to test!" Fix

Quote Originally Posted by BugsCoT View Post
    No offense... but wtf are you smoking? Those look like a piece of sheetmetal with magic marker drawn overtop and a printed picture slapped in the middle, not backpacks.

To be fair, I'll just say why I don't like most of your work. Everything is shiny and reflective. It doesn't look anything like an actual object.
    27000 years in the future, we have specialized nanobots that keep things perpetually shiny.

Perhaps they don't necessarily need to be backpacks, they could be just metal boxes for organizing stuff in the bank. If someone wants to wear an original large backpack for the looks, he can get one. Meanwhile I'll be happy sorting stuff with my generic containers with large icons.

Backpacks ingame look like big cardboard or plastic boxes
    Thor Mastablasta Hammersmith - Level 220, AI 30, LE 70 Clan Atrox Nano Technician - Setup
    The Red Brotherhood

I'm a Nano-Technician, don't ever expect me to fight unbuffed, alone or fair.

Means: about f'ing time :P
    Satenia: heresy <3
    Znore: Mastablasta <3
    Kinkstaah: I have agro from many mobs ;(
    Madarab: we are aoe class, we are supose to use pistols
    Marxgorm: the NT toolset does not fit into my raiding tactics

Quote Originally Posted by Mastablasta View Post
    Backpacks ingame look like big cardboard or plastic boxes
    thats because some actually are
    Former Assistant Director of Pack of Noobs

Fake Friday with Means, and it worked!

I have to agree with BugsCoT here...except...not to the same degree as him.

I like most of your work but the belts and backpacks don't look appealing to me.

Belts: They look like belts where you would stuff an ammunition magazine into or some sort of cell phone - not NCU. At least, not the kind of NCU I'm imagining. I'm imagining slots for the NCU rather than little pouches since hey, NCU = Memory = Chips. That's just my take on it. <shrug>

Backpacks: Like BugsCoT said, the backpacks aren't very appealing since it looks like a sticker was just placed over the bags with little images. Perhaps it's because the backpacks themselves look ugly and probably deserve a complete overhaul in look (other than small backpacks). I'd probably not make so many icons for the bags and just limit it to a good ten or so and make some really interesting designs/textures for those (unique?). Kind of like how the professional avatars look now.

But that's my two cents - I love all of your work other than those two (and the furnaces are a bit eh but I'm no artist haha) and I really hope your work gets into the game.

Good day~

Oh how green your eyes are.

Quote Originally Posted by deltazer0 View Post
    I have to agree with BugsCoT here...except...not to the same degree as him.
    those backpacks didn't convinced me neither, but the icon size & diversity roxx. belt same quote, but i know as said, this is just a start.

then, all the rest (rings, items, ...) is more than cool ! wtb IG !
    Bitnykk/Bittorrent - young RL of AP & old emissary of CODE

How about this,.. I wanted it to look sci-fi, and different from what most people think of backpacks. hard case, viewport, and tube back rests that hold the water.

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f2...ignSample1.jpg

And,.. I decided why not make a full set for Clan, Omni and Neutral.

Cheers!

another nice idea about the tube back rests.. if I think of them as telescopic (meaning they can be extended in each direction, then the backpack could also me used as a stretcher, or a kind of bridge between small chasms.) Neat eh?
    Last edited by Docaholic; Feb 22nd, 2010 at 19:55:42.
    --Being Neutral IS a choice, not a failure to make one!--
    Main Character - Doctorval (Advisor of Harmony Rk2)

they look upsidedown to me, flip it and put the window on the smaller section and the symbol on the thicker section

i like them a lot more than 1st.
    though, those look a little like street trashcans, imo.

but that's the good step forward : the colors & icons rules

eg
    http://media.techeblog.com/images/flo.jpg
    http://www.geekologie.com/2008/03/13...r-backpack.jpg
    http://design.architecture.sk/wp-con...-cyclus-01.jpg
    or !
    http://www.geekalerts.com/u/gizmo-backpack.jpg
    Last edited by bitnykk; Feb 22nd, 2010 at 21:28:15.
    Bitnykk/Bittorrent - young RL of AP & old emissary of CODE

I really appreciate the feedback, thanks.

Here is another rework of the new backpacks, I shifted the 'bulk' to the bottom and made it of a new space age bio-plastic material.

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f2...ck_Sample2.jpg

Let me know if this one's a keeper design.

Cheers!

P.S. Is making 3 versions (Neutral/Omni/Clan) a good thing? or should we go with just the basic white?

Looks sweet damn nice work
    Metafly7 220/30/70 "E"

Advfly7 170/19/42 "E"

Proud member of ~Spirit~ Rubi-Ka Atlantean

Anarchy proves this quote wrong: "War would end if the dead could return." ~ Stanley Baldwin

Quote Originally Posted by Docaholic View Post

Here is another rework of the new backpacks, I shifted the 'bulk' to the bottom and made it of a new space age bio-plastic material.

Cheers!

P.S. Is making 3 versions (Neutral/Omni/Clan) a good thing? or should we go with just the basic white?
    Now those are what I call backpacks! Nice revamps on those!

Cheers!

yes that looks much better, the medical and OT ones are my fav out of the bunch.

{Removed by Venachar: Original post removed, removing this quote and reply as well.}
    Last edited by Venachar; Feb 23rd, 2010 at 16:35:37.

While I liked your last backpack design quite a lot, these are much better by far. It actually looks like a backpack now, rather than the current icon resembling... oh, I dunno, a clay jar? *shrugs* If this (more than anything else) goes live, I say we hound FC to remodel the current wearable packs to match that large render.

I'm really liking the idea of different colors for each faction (it's not unheard of... Scorpio's Shell comes to mind, though I dunno right offhand if the icon color changes too). That being said, if it's necessary to go with just one color, I'd actually hope for the tan/yellow scheme myself, but that's personal preference.
    Proud Leaders and Members of Obsidian Order: Our Recruitment Thread!
    Khaldore: 220/30 Advie // Khalculus: 220/27 Engi // Medsareus: 209/20 Doc // Khalicokat: 196/20 Shade
    Phearitself: 210/22 Enf // Politikhal: 200/24 Crat // Khavalier: 218/24 Keeper // Gridburst: 203/24 Fix
    Various other random alts.

Necromachina: In AnarchyOnline Engineers play you? Technogen: God, that explains so much more than I ever wanted to know.
    Snakebite: OH GOD! OH GOD! THERE'S SMOKE EVERYWHERE! HAS ANYONE SEEN THE OFFICE CAT???
    Anarrina: I think this issue has been sufficiently discussed. If you have any further questions, please contact life support or email.

I can appreciate where Grayfox211 is coming from in his own thread and his post here about backapcks. I pointed him here in his thread so he would be able to see a different approach to improving the backpack situation. making new icons is what this thread is all about, not making 3d models for the game that are actually worn by the players. I have no experience in 3D modeling. I use Anim8or to make the models and even them it's a trial and error approach.

My own idea to have the backpack icon taken from the first item in the list of what is inside the backpack is a nifty one, and would make the whole backpack sorting thing a whole lot easier, but that idea I placed in another thread, because it was about more than just redoing icons, it involves a bunch or coding to make it happen.

I pulled back from making more belts for the simple reason that it seems that Funcom are planning to make the belts 'visible' on the player, if this is the case, then they will have made belt models for the players and they can use those models to make new icons.

The whole 'inventory' system in most any MMO is unrealistic at best, but it's better than carrying a warehouse around on your back, even if at times that is exactly how it feels. lol

To get this backpack thing back on track, let me remind people that a larger variety of 'symbols' on the new backpack design, along with 3 color versions for the Clan/Neutral/Omni will go a long way towards helping us all keep out 'junk' sorted. And it'll be able to be slipped into the game without breaking anything in the process.

Cheers!

P.S. Never be to quick to bash people for their opinions, Grayfox211 does have a valid point, even if it doesn't fit in this thread. The more passionate people are about AO, the better it is for all involved. Together we can make a difference. I'm sure Funcom watches this game suggestion forum and has taken many suggestions and transferred them into the game. I for one am happy that I can help even in this small way.

Cheers v2.0

I have removed the posts about backpacks. I note, Grayfox, you already have a thread about that matter and so I ask you leave your concerns in that one. Thanks.
    Guardian Venachar
    Public Forums Moderator - Deputy Team Lead | Professionals Liaison
    Forums Team | Community Relations Department | Advisors of Rubi-Ka

About the backpacks.

It is nice to have backpacks to sort them all.
    But most of your backpacks kinda look like trashcans .

Bit high-tec backpacks could be good, but why does there have to be a 'window' on top of it?
    Maybe show the backpack from a shot in which it is shown half from aside half from the front (don't know the right term for this shot)?

RP wise, would clan / omni / neutrals have different backpacks? If one of these three would have a good material on making backpacks, wouldn't the other groups try and find out which material it is to make their own backpacks?
    Guess maybe they should look a bit like the army backpacks so they are spotted less by the enemy or something like that .

Not that i think there is an easy concensus on backpacks. Even the idea of Grayfox with the 'spacecubes' are appealing somehow. (ah i see Venachar has edited this thread and returned him to his own thread).

So just wanted to say keep up the work on backpacks, but try not to make trashcans out of them :P.

Cheers!

This is much better. Though, I don't really know about the whole oldschool style trapdoor window. Dunno, just seems a bit out of place in the year 30k? The design otherwise is pretty good, organic and round looking. Not too shiny. But, when we can teleport across the world in a split second and digitalize and restore our bodies here and there at will, I think that a window on a hinge in my backpack is a major anachronism
    Grayfox' idea of a "hypercube" was of course interesting, and one might think that these backpacks aren't really large boxes that hold 21kg or whatever it is the descriptions say, but a technical interface to a subspace dimension where you can store your stuff. And since it's all made out of nanobots you can just stick stuff right in through the surface material. Who knows. Even though ingame a pre-universe storage device looks slightly different and has the same "mass" restrictions that a book of knowledge has
    Last edited by Mastablasta; Feb 23rd, 2010 at 16:56:13.
    Thor Mastablasta Hammersmith - Level 220, AI 30, LE 70 Clan Atrox Nano Technician - Setup
    The Red Brotherhood

I'm a Nano-Technician, don't ever expect me to fight unbuffed, alone or fair.

Means: about f'ing time :P
    Satenia: heresy <3
    Znore: Mastablasta <3
    Kinkstaah: I have agro from many mobs ;(
    Madarab: we are aoe class, we are supose to use pistols
    Marxgorm: the NT toolset does not fit into my raiding tactics

Page 31 of 67 FirstFirst ... 121314151617181920212223242526272829303132333435363738394041424344454647484950 ... LastLast